Released October 23, 2008
Genre: Science Fiction
Serialized In: Morning, Mandala
Publication Status: Complete, One Shot Collection, 1 Volume
A collection of five Boichi short stories, including the well known Hotel: Since 2079
- Hotel: Since 2079: A computer continues to live on in order to complete a mission in a world where all life, including Mankind, has gone extinct. This is a record of those 27 million years of its heroic struggle.
- Present: Hanako suffers from a terrible disease. After awakening from a deep slumber, Hanako has only three days to live. During those three days, her husband, Takao, must endure a heart-breaking experience, knowing that the person Hanako really loves isn't him.
- It Was All for the Tuna: Tuna have become extinct and Jun Shiozaki will do everything possible and imaginable to bring them back.
- Stephanos: Set in modern-day Japan, our main character Noriko finds out that she is pregnant with her lover Matsumura’s baby. He, however, is an important doctor with a family and everything already. Noriko wants to have the baby, but Matsumura says that it’s actually a rapidly growing cancer and that they have to remove it immediately. It might also be neither of these things…
- Diadem: Taking the words of her dying father to heart Lilith grows up to lead the fight against the evil Empire. Will the Goddess of the North Wind appear to set Lilith and her people free, as her father promised?
Last edited by Kaiten; January 05, 2012 at 12:32 AM. Reason: edited for info
I highly recommend this one, fellas. My favorite one-shot by far.
Not as good as Hotel because I felt that the storyline was a bit too cliche in some ways.
This one and White Clouds is awesome! I second the recommendation.
Really? I think it's good. The premise is simple but the execution is just awesome!
And I third those recommendations. This is one read that's a must for all manga people out there!
[my 1st post]
I like this one-shot, one of those that makes you think...
hey welcome kohryu87
Hotel compelled you post your first post? Well, it is really a great One-Shot.
I look forward to reading this hehe~ at least this is a real tragedy (well that sounded a bit cold but it wasn't meant 2)
Sniff..such a beautiful post-apocalyptic story. I recommend it to all.
Really sad story. Its enough to make men cry.
I was surprised to see a topic about this here, I was going to make one myself.
One of the best one shots I've read, really touching.
Illuminati and Japanzai translated the two remaining stories: It Was All for the Tuna and Stephanos. They also released new versions of the three previously available one shots. The two newly translated stories should be a good excuse for fans to reread Hotel, Present, and Diadem again.
The new release finally pushed me to read Hotel. A great set of stories, though the best known, Hotel itself, was not my favorite. I am partial to Present and It Was All for the Tuna, both extraordinarily well told. The title story was very well told though, one of the better environmentalist stories I have read, incredibly poignant. The end of Present made me choke up, very sad. And It Was All for the Tuna was a great, funny, touching story about the real driving force behind progress. All five stories were very good, over all an excellent collection.
I added the volume cover to the OP.
It Was All for the Tuna was a beautiful thing.
First of all: I think the first post ist wrong, as the Hotel one-shot isn't named "Since AD 2079" - That's the original one-shot.
I'll quote myself from the "What Manga are you reading/Going to read next"-thread:
I thought Hotel was an amazing one-shot. The story is touching and 'realistic', and the pacing just makes it all perfect. The awesome art made me just sit and enjoy the sight of total epicness, as it's both extraordinary good and fitting to the one-shot. This is a one-shot that wants very much with it's story, and unlike many one-shots and mangas who fail at this, Hotel does it perfect!