Seinen - 20th Century Boys by Urasawa Naoki | Page 14 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen 20th Century Boys by Urasawa Naoki

Ganner_Rhysode

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Re: 21st Century Boys

@ The Fool:

The sweater-point was also one thing I thought about, first, back then. But that's not a must... Why? Read on.
As mentioned on several occasions, the dissection took place in the 6th grade.
So now, let's begin...
We know, "You died today" took place in summer, there's no need for argument, that's a point, we all agree on.
Also in Summer 1971 (6th Grade) (Vol. 12, chap. 7, Yamane says it himself, as a refference, for instance. And other occasions in Volume 1 and 12) Donkey switched on the power of the aquarium, before he saw Fukubei, Yamane and Sadakiyo. We know from Mon-chan and all the other folks (Vol 1. chap. 5, for instance), Katsumata died during the 6th grade, 'cause the rumor, his ghost haunted the scienceroom was all around that time, and he was given the assignment to turn on the power, for the aquarium (and because of that, he was afraid to go there alone, and stuff.. The rest is nothing new to you).

So, now there's one thing, which is the most important clue, for my theory.
All this happened during the summer. But when does 5th grade end and 6th grade begin? Well, there SHOULD be the catch, if it would be as in most countries, where the new schoolyear starts after summervacation...
But that's not the case for Japan. The new year in Japanese schools, always begins on April 1st. So, they where in the 6th grade, during the whole summer, when it all took place. And there are throughout the whole series more than enough referrences, from where we know, that the dissection took place in 6th grade.

To sum it up:

April 1st 1971: New year (6th grade) starts.
Later half of the summer, 6th grade, year 1971, Mon-chan and Donkey turn on the aquarium power, and Donkey is seeing his "ghost". (Fukubei, Yamane, Sadakiyo) From here we know, Katsumata should already be dead, as the rumor about his ghost floated around school. And we also know, the dissection took already place.
So, there's a timeframe between April 1st and the science-room-incident, where "You died today" took place. We know, it was in summer, and there's more than enough of a timeframe, isn't it?

Your sweater-point is valid, but it's the only point there, not to stand with my theory, whereas I have much more valid points for my theory. XP I don't know, maybe it was a cold day, or this wasn't their first dissection, then?
Believe me, I have thought about it very long, and crosschecked things. I think, now it's vivid more clearly.

And hey, Endo Kenji made a point there. It doesn't have to be the EXACT date.
But I really hope, now through my post, it's a little bit more clearly.
Phew... XD

@ Endo Kenji:

Second point: We know already from Volume 20, Chapter 11, that Fukubei and Katsumata had had contact, earlier, and seemed to work closely together, right from the beginning, so it could be Katsumata, or somebody else. But the point is, from there, we know, they worked since the early friendship-days together on this. But in the end, it all worked out for him. (well, most of it, anyway ;-P )

Third: That's it. You answered your second point almost entirely with your third one. ^^
Seemed, like they worked almost entirely together, till Fukubei died, as Katsumata has foreseen (he seemed to be the only one who was REALLY a psychic-seer, or something like that). Then he took over ENTIRELY the role of Friend.

And your last, but not least point ( ^^ ):
Maybe he did, we'll never know... I THINK, he did. Why? The first time, we saw Fukubei as a kid, was Volume 16, right? ^^
NAAHH *g*... We can already take a look (or in this case "some looks" *g*) at Fukubei in Volume 8, chapter 10, where he's CLEARLY among the children, right as they stand before the "haunted-mansion". Here you can also clealry see, Urasawa planned the whole thing, as it is later depicted in Volume 16, even before Volume 8.

So, now check all the things out, and write and discuss, as you please. XD

The Fool

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy

April 1st 1971: New year (6th grade) starts.
Later half of the summer, 6th grade, year 1971, Mon-chan and Donkey turn on the aquarium power, and Donkey is seeing his "ghost". (Fukubei, Yamane, Sadakiyo) From here we know, Katsumata should already be dead, as the rumor about his ghost floated around school. And we also know, the dissection took already place.
So, there's a timeframe between April 1st and the science-room-incident, where "You died today" took place.
"You died today" happened in Summer 1970, not 1971.

Sadakiyo was going to transfer [21st Century Boys volume 1 - chapter 8], and Sadakiyo transferred before the Summer vacation of 1970 was over [20th Century Boys volume 10 - chapter 9], so "You died today" happened in Summer 1970.

Ganner_Rhysode

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Croatia

Really? O.o
Now, I'm emberassed, that I overlooked something SO OBVIOUS!! DAMMIT!!
I always wanted to create a time-line-guide or something like that, for exactly such things... For fans and stuff, to have a nice gimmick... Now I overstepped my boundaries. I think it's time, to begin working on such a thing. Would you may be interested in helping me out?^^

See, because such things which differ (where Urasawa gave us no exact date) could be made more specific during discussions between fans, just like it was the case, here.

Thank you, Fool ^^ ( Oh, man, that sounded weird, now... Don't get me wrong! XD)

Endo Kenji

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

What do you think of a summary of the whole mystery with pics to give a good view on the mystery after analyzing the story very secure? To make some kind of guide, richly filled with images to explain our thoughts after analyzing the story.

The Three of us. Ganner,The Fool and Kenji?
Then we could post it on the Forum

With the sharp thinking of the Fool we won't make any mistakes XD

By the Way, The base of Ganner's theory stands even if it didn't happen in that exact summer. It could be seen as the mark point of his 'death'.

Last edited:

The Fool

Reaction score
Country
Italy

I always wanted to create a time-line-guide or something like that, for exactly such things... For fans and stuff, to have a nice gimmick... Now I overstepped my boundaries. I think it's time, to begin working on such a thing. Would you may be interested in helping me out?^^
I'm pretty interested, but my English is poor [I'm an Italian guy, you know... XD], so I can't write it.

All I can do is offer my "sharp thinking" [XD] in order to prevent/correct any possible mistakes.

Endo Kenji

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

Could The Fool and Ganner accept me on MSN so we can discuss the details.
AWF@live.nl

thnx. I already have some ideas. To work out. XD It doens't matter if you're english sucks. Im not American either though I do almost everything in English. You can always become a Proofreader to prevent mistakes.

The Fool

Reaction score
Country
Italy

Kenji, I accepted you on MSN, but you're always "not online".

What the hell...?

Endo Kenji

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

That's kinda strange because lately I've been online alot. I'll check if I didn't put him on 'away' or otherwise we just missed each other 'cause you haven't been online either XD

Urameshi-sama

Reaction score
Country
United States

^That's happened to me before when people have different versions of the messenger. One of you should send the other a message to check if you're both on.

On a side note, I just finished reading 20th and 21st century yesterday and reading your posts have fired me up even more. I'm having a hard time giving up my addiction at the moment. I guess I'll start on Pluto.

dabura

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

This story is hard to let go off. I've finished reading it a second time.

But the deal with the second friend being the real first friend still leaves some questions about what was fukubei and what was katsumata doing.

Did katsumata do the plastic surgery when fukubei died, or was it even before that?

Apart from fukubei, did katsumata also performe at the cult meetings in the beginning of the manga? It was shown that fukubei had 3 types of masks available to put on, including the one with the logo.

The "evil wannabe" guy who pushed kiriko's boyfriend off the platform, also hooked up fukubei with kiriko. We've seen the scene in which friend (wearing the logo mask) gives instructions to him. In that scene the guy wonders is its the same friend he met before. This could mean that it was katsumata's doing that fukubei became kanna's father.

Katsumata admitted to kanna that he made sure through medication that she would gain his powers. In the same scene where kanna speaks to friend, he describes a memory of him picking up kanna when she was still a baby and holding her up high. Kanna recognizes this memory. Does this mean that katsumata actually was in contact with her at that time? Or did he lie and it was actually fukubei who picked her up?

It is mindblowing if you think about it.

I'm in need for an anime 20th century boys!! I wonder when it will come..

OMG look at 20thboys.com

they have a new page on the cast!

like including; yoshitsune, maruo, fukubei, god

Most of them look pretty much like their manga counterpart.

Last edited:

Endo Kenji

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

Damn, I want Donkey with Curls. n.n

dorami

Reaction score
Country
Japan

thank u soooooo much.

I'm Japanese but i moved to canada so i couldn't read manga anymore.
but i found this site & the "20th" is 1 of my fav manga.

zrexe

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

They should get X Japan to play the 20th Century Boys for the credits or something. Probably going to fit really well, with their reunion this year, as well as the fact that they once did a cover for it before.

gruter

Reaction score
Country
United States

i was wondering if there is any importance to takamatsus child that I missed. to me it seemed like a plot point that was not fully fleshed out. And when she said she is "free from his spell" does that mean she was mind controlled? lots of questions...=/

The Fool

Reaction score
Country
Italy

i was wondering if there is any importance to takamatsus child that I missed. to me it seemed like a plot point that was not fully fleshed out. And when she said she is "free from his spell" does that mean she was mind controlled? lots of questions...=/
I think that Takasu's child [Takasu, not Takamatsu] is simply a clone of Friend, therefore Urasawa didn't show him to us, otherwise he would have shown Friend's face.

Endo Kenji

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

The first trailer of the movie is out now.

Check it on www.20thboys.com. It's quite simple and it doesn't show much yet but it marks a beginning for so much goodness to come.

Please make 21st Century boys into a seperate movie!

TheFool Show yourself you italian crazy theory weirdo, celebrate this wonderful event with me xD

Endo Kenji

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

Katsumata has no face and no identity. He copied both Fukubei and Sadakiyo.

The Friend in the chapter: "The Friend Dies" can't be a mannequin because later on we see Butterfly boy with a autopsy photo of Friend's corpse.

The Fool

Reaction score
Country
Italy

Katsumata has no face and no identity. He copied both Fukubei and Sadakiyo.
Too easy, too banal. It makes no sense.

The Friend in the chapter: "The Friend Dies" can't be a mannequin because later on we see Butterfly boy with a autopsy photo of Friend's corpse.
A human mannequin. A brainwashed man with plastic surgery to make him look like Fukubei. Just like the man who died under the flying saucer crash...

Endo Kenji

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

Too easy, too banal. It makes no sense.

A human mannequin. A brainwashed man with plastic surgery to make him look like Fukubei. Just like the man who died under the flying saucer crash...
There is no evidence for something like that, The mannequin. It's your own interpertation but there's no evidence. If you're gonna build a theory you to do it with the evidence Urasawa gave us. First off all. There was a person named Katsumata. He was a real living person. Katsumata and Sadakiyo are two individuals. However all the characters were mentally insane of whatever:
Katsumata is a seperate human being. This is proven in Kiriko's memory and was found out by Detective Cho. You are allways denying the fact that Katsumata exist but he does. You're denying it because that messes up the theories you had even before the latest chapters.

However you interpetrate the truth you have not many definitive evidence that fully proves your rightness. Furthermore the comparison you made in those 2 pictures were false. One is written with the kanji for Friend and the other is written with Hiragana which is really childlike.(the way it's used most of the time). It's a significant difference.

Last edited: