316 first page cleaned, need advice

Ikasu

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry to say this isn't a complete 316 cleaned chapter. Basicly I'm working with new techniques and trying to figure out ways of shortening time on cleaning as well as making sure the quality is top notch. I took a different technique on this chapter and just curious on everyones thoughts...this page took me about 2-3 hours...I'm quite slow but I make sure there are no artifacts what so ever by magnifying up to 800 % on the image and cleaning everything. The source is the 316 raw that was released earlier...

I made 3 versions..one crisp, one slightly blurred, and one with levels...I didn't want to retrace/cg the manga although I'm considering these options for future cleanings....I just want to figure out a bunch of techniques that I can combine to make thoroughly cleaned pages.

BTW...this is a non scanlated image. I basicly want to clean and scanlate all my own releases ^_^..one man team ftw!

CAUTION!...if you don't want to see any pages from the current 316 release do not click the links below.

here's the original. http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/7129/yamatozouen002sx3.jpg

crisp - http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/3857/yamatozouen002cavw5.png
blurred - http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/8657/yamatozouen002cbyk9.png
leveled - http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/2417/yamatozouen002cbra8.png

I'm trying to find techniques as well as speed up my cleaning time so that as soon as a raw is released I can start cleaning and have a high quality release through the cam/lq scans. Comments and questions heavily encouraged...after all..I'm looking for advice.

angry

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I see almost no differences ^^

The quality of all of them is good, but 2-3 hours is alot per page.. considering we have alot of good Manga Editors allready that can get better quality and will prob. finish in about the same time as you will if you take that long.

Greets, Angry

Ikasu

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well the thing is I'm not going for pure speed..I'm going for 100% quality. If I wanted pure speed I can do that in a sinch..here's an example.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/7117/yamatozouen003iq9.png

that right there took me less than a minute to do. And once I do the first page the rest are just actions and boom...pages out and ready to scanlate...What I've posted in this thread is my 2nd cleaning job ever attempted. That's one reason why I'm slow at it. with a lil time my speed will increase and basicly just trying to get really high quality Edited Mangas out quickly.

angry

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
yea, but there are allready 4 teams that bring HQ Naruto stuff >< so its kinda crowded in the HQ Naruto scene... maybe go for a different manga or maybe go for speed MQ? There aren't that many out there yet...

Its not that your quality isn't good, but there just so many Manga Editors out there that allready bring this kind of quality, so unless you can bring it faster then them... then it won't be that much of an asset to the scene. So i'd say, focus on speed or focus on different manga.

Greets, Angry

venicia777

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
i checked your cleans. Although i am not that good at cleaning i can say that with my semi-trained eye they look basically the same. And may have no differences whatsoever for the layman.

They are really good quallity. Really good. But as angry said above I am sure you know they are soo many great scan teams here. Shannaro, Japflap, etc. Doing another like ONE PIECE or BLEACH may leave your name on the lips of the fans of those mangas (since they have soo few cleaners and Manga Editors).

Ikasu

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yea I getcha. I'm working on a few new techniques. Here's a quick one I just finished...this was a 10-15 minute clean. I noticed the jinchuruki HQ release was extremely blurred (no offense)...So I'm trying to now work on a few techniques to give extremely cleaned raws as fast as possible while keeping the integrity of the drawings intact.

Here is a 10-15 min cleaned page.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2296/yamatozouen002newtechnq2.png

Lol..I also took a couple minutes zooming in and cleaning artifacts..I'm a perfectionist so it's VERY difficult and annoying to do just quick cleans..lol..I want everything to be perfect...so I fought the urge to continue working on it and just finished it.[br]Posted on: July 20, 2006, 08:22:08 PM_________________________________________________almost forgot to post this....this is page 7 done in 10-15 minutes as well.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8919/yamatozouen007yw1.png

Only reason I'm even sticking with the naruto manga is because it's the only one I read. I don't really want to read the bleach manga since I enjoy watching it animated. I'll probably start reading it eventually but not sure.

If I slowly get onto something with quick cleans and release HQ releases in a 2-4 hours of the raw release I'd love it. ^.^...I want to give something to the naruto community with this series that I love so much but gotta figure out some way to help out via manga...lol...

angry

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
There is no such thing as a speed HQ =P

But, yea 2-3 hours for a good quality MQ would be more valuable (although i still think other manga's need it more =P). About your 15 minute clean: Its a bit overleveled... especially naruto's hair in panel 2 and his sweater in panel 3, there is almost no AA in the lines there. I don't know if you can improve that and still keep it in under 15 minutes... but thats the thing that i noticed most.

Greets, Angry

DWZ

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Germany
heya
I'm looking for a faster way to reach a good quality too

but I ve only used level and brightness/contrast till now
and your Edited Mangas looks very good
can you describe the "crisp" and "blur" method or d'you know some tutorials?

Ikasu

Reaction score
Country
United States
DWZ - I actually just use many different methods to get it that way. If I have time later I'll make a tutorial on fast cleaning techniques.

Angry - I can actually under do the leveling on those images..I made it that way on purpose.....and the only way to Anti alias imo would just be blurring through the blur tool...fastest way for quick touch ups to make sure I keep the time down on each page to succeed in fast Edited Mangas. I'll agree that other mangas could use the benefit...But as I said before this is the only manga I read...lol...and I don't want to start reading others just to scanlate them..lol..I might start reading bleach though..

I use to watch the naruto anime series animated only then switched to the manga and watch both..I guess it's about time to do bleach also. Curious though...when does the bleach manga get released?..if it's on a different day I might as well do both.

angry

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
They are released on the same day... they're both in the same Shonen Jump magazine ^^

hiko

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are you using a mouse Ikasu? If you don't mind spending a bit of cash, the best way to speed up your cleaning is to invest in a Pen Tablet for your PC.

Also, before you do any levelling/cleaning, you need to tilt the page to straighten everything up.

Ikasu

Reaction score
Country
United States
hiko said:
Are you using a mouse Ikasu? If you don't mind spending a bit of cash, the best way to speed up your cleaning is to invest in a Pen Tablet for your PC.

Also, before you do any levelling/cleaning, you need to tilt the page to straighten everything up.
Thanks for the info ^_^. And yes I am using a mouse. I just started drawing a few days ago and planning to invest into a tablet in the near future since I want to color all my works and what not. My brother has a tablet atm which I could use but I want to atleast get good at drawing before I switch over to a tablet.

Yea I was planning to do the tilting also but these are just test pages to see if I can get some optimal quality in a short ammount of time...then I'll do next weeks release. But curious though. What methods are there for anti aliasing besides the blur tool and what not?..cause I want to figure out ways to make the lines smoother besides retracing them...with all the leveling and brightening the lines do tend to get rather rigid.

shinwei

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for moving this to the right place, Taylor.

I'm sure you'll be able to get all the help you need. I don't have time to take a look at it now but I'll look tomorrow.

vlado

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Well yous hould redraw white lines with the U line tool (press u doh) , and wtf 2 hours? at that quality i'd say more than 30 minutes is actualy imposible to do.....i really have no ideea how you do that in 3 hours????
And the quality is MQ you need loads of work to make that HQ.

Ikasu

Reaction score
Country
United States
indeed...but the thing about the 2-3 hours is that I removed literally every artifact...zoomed in to 800 percent + and removed all artifacts that weren't suppose to be there. but even so my 10-15 minute clean (Which is linked in the 6th post) is pretty close to the 2-3 hour one. It's just I didn't get to clean all the artifacts I wanted and used a faster technique for certain aspects.

sabyr

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
angry said:
There is no such thing as a speed HQ =P
i dissagree. i can do about 5 or more hq pages in a day(but it really sucks to try), depending on how hard they are.
like if there is a really hard gray area, im going to have trouble. i still have some trouble with grays.