485 - So Close, And Yet So Far - Review

Nasuke

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Hello Everybody

I decided to get this review done early because I wont be on for the next couple of days as I'm going in for an operation. This chapter presented a delay in showing us Naruto's decision, although we got to see Naruto and Sasuke connect more than they ever did in their other battles. And with this, what was said about Kishimoto letting go of Sasuke and starting to shift on Naruto is happening.

Without any further delay, I present to you the review of Chapter 485:

IMAGES COURTESY OF MANGASTREAM AND BINKTOPIA. TRANSLATION COURTESY OF HISSHOUBURAIKEN!! GREAT WORK AS ALWAYS!!!!!

Naruto 485: So Close, And Yet So Far Chapter Review

Character Development: SUPERB

Just like last week, character development takes the stage as the main focus of Kishimoto's chapter. We saw the same breadth of characters that we saw last week, but in a different light which made the chapter feel like a breath of fresh air and different from Kishimoto's usual development.

I will begin by focusing on a left out character from last week's chapter review, and that character is Karin. As much as people wanted to see her evaluated, I thought that it would not be correct to include her in a chapter entitled 'Team 7'. As a matter of fact, I would have rather seen a page in this week's chapter dedicated to her rather than two panes. As a character, Karin is slowly gaining more and more importance in this manga. A lot of people thought it would be the end of her when Sasuke pierced her with the Chidori in order to kill Danzou, but Kishimoto has chosen to keep her on board the manga as he probably foresaw some use for her as a prediction to Sakura. Karin is the perfect representation of what would have happened to Sakura if she had left Konoha with Sasuke. She would most likely have ended up dead in that exact same battle, except with no one to heal her. Sasuke would have merely used her as a tool to exact his revenge; this is exactly what happened to Karin. In last week's chapter, we got to see Karin and Sakura in the same light, and see really how similar they are. Kishimoto decided to show this even more in this week's chapter, where Karin shows some hesitation of letting Sasuke go, which was the reason Sakura has been in trouble; the strength of her resolve. I am interested to see what other purpose Kishimoto has in store for Karin, but for now we must leave her and move onto the leader of Team 7, Kakashi.

We see Kakashi fully embracing the idea that there is no going back for Sasuke. Furthermore, we see how much he really cares for his students, that he does not want them to commit the heinous act of killing their friend, and that he would take this task as his duty for failing as the leader of Team 7. As such, we see the constant portrayal of a being who is willing to make the tough decisions that he does not really want to do. As Itachi said to Naruto, we see the image of a man and not a child, a man who is not "living in a fantasy world" and who "has come to terms with the fact that as a shinobi" he will be forced to make impossible decisions. This wisdom is something that is required of a Hokage, and as such, we can clearly see why Kakashi is the perfect fit for such a position. He cares enough to do the right thing, but to also protect the ones he loves.

Next is Sakura. This chapter is probably the first chapter where we get to see Sakura take Naruto's side for once. Before the time skip, we got to see Sakura as the character who always took Sasuke's side and always picked on Naruto. We see this greatly in the panel above, and I really liked how Kishimoto portrayed this true glare as someone who is seriously pissed off. Like Kakashi, Sakura seems to be strengthening her resolve to eliminate Sasuke more than her make pretend atttitude in the past few chapters, and we could see how much she cares about Naruto in her frustration with Sasuke. As a result, it is interesting to say that she is starting to come about in her own way, and as much as Karin's potential for the future is exciting, as much as I want to see the kind of shinobi that Sakura will become. Only time will tell.

Now I face a dilemma when I try to analyze Naruto. Simply because I have no idea what the outcome of this impossible situation is. Its at this moment (shown in the panel above) where he seems to have made the third choice, but I can honestly say I have no idea what that choice is. When Naruto faced Nagato, he made the choice to believe in his master's teachings, and ended up changing Nagato to how he was. When it came down to words, Naruto was not very effective. When it came to his resolve however, it was so undeniable that it was able to change people. It changed the actions of Tsunade, Jiraiya, Nagato, Konan, and all the people he has met. The only person it has had no effect on was Sasuke, and I wonder if the next chapter will change that. As much as I highly doubt it, its worth seeing Naruto try. I cannot wait to find out what that decision was, but alas we have to wait until next week!

Finally, we take a look at Sasuke. We can see that compared to all the members of Team Seven that he has seen (from Sakura to Kakashi), Naruto is the person who is able to influence him the most. As much as Sasuke tries to deny it, he knows that Naruto relates to him the most and vice versa. As a result, he gets frustrated with Naruto more so than he did with Kakashi and Sakura. We get the idea that Sasuke does not hate Naruto as much as he respects him. He views Naruto as a member of Konoha and as a result wants to eliminate him like the rest of the villagers, however as an individual he seems to uphold the upomost respect, and we can see that when Sasuke really LISTENS to what Naruto has to say, even if he does not agree with him. I want to bring up the contrast of Madara and Hashirama. I do this because of Madara's words when he told Naruto that fate has chosen those two as the next two in Senju/Uchiha conflict. It is this mutual respect and feelings between Naruto and Sasuke that will allow them to overcome the Senju/Uchiha differences, but the question is a matter of when and not how. Madara and Hashirama were not able to work out their differences, and as a result they fought each other to the death without ever looking back. I feel that this course will not be shared by Naruto and Sasuke. We will see how this tale unfolds in the near future!

Action: DISAPPOINTING

This element really disappointed me this chapter. I was hoping to see more of a brawl between Naruto and Sasuke. Perhaps a FRS and a Chidori Nagashi or some Sage Mode versus Sharingan. Alas Kishimoto always reverts to the two most overused techniques in the shinobi world: Rasengan and Chidori. We have seen a more devestating version of this faceoff when Naruto fought Sasuke before, but now this seems to be getting old and tasteless. Who will end up fainting this time? Find out on the next issue of Naruto!

Story: PREDICTABLE

The story has not really developed from last week, and we see Kishimoto make use of the same cliffhanger that he utilized last week. As such, it would be pointless for me to add more to this section. We have to wait until next week to find out the direction in which this story will move. Do not disappoint us Kishimoto, a lot is riding on these chapters!

Art Work: GREAT

Another highlight of this chapter, is the artwork that Kishimoto has been presenting us. I would like to pay particular note to the facial expressions of the characters. From Sakura's glare at Sasuke (that was a true glare; unliek the so-called glare that people have been discussing with Naruto glaring at Sasuke), to Naruto's loveable smile towards Sasuke when he expressed how glad he was to have met him. Alas, even Sasuke's facial expressions this chapter were more representative of his true nature than the madness he has been portraying as of late. Kishimoto really paid attention to this, and because of this, the character's intentions were greatly portrayed in this chapter with something as simple as a look! Well Done Kishimoto keep it up!

Final Verdict: 3.5 OUT OF 5

I will give this chapter the same rating as last week's chapter. Simply because the plot devices and elements of this chapter were very similar to last week's, and as a result, so is the overall picture. Once again, I placed great expectations on next week's chapter in order for us to get an understanding of the direction that Kishimoto is planning to take this manga in. While I have no doubt in my mind that the chapter will focus on the same characters we have been seeing for the past two weeks, I can honestly say that I have no idea whats going to happen, and as a result, I would be foolish to make a prediction.

What I do know for a fact is that we will see the aftermath of the Rasengan/Chidori clash, and hopefully Naruto's decision.

I thank you for reading this review, and I appreciate any comments or criticsm that you may have. Until next week!

videogamer64

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Please register to see the content of this post.

kai-uchiha

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

Astray

Reaction score
Country
United States

Newkerzy

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

Newkerzy

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

saulx6

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
British Virgin Islands

Alterno

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Dominican Republic

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania

Astray

Reaction score
Country
United States

megumiaraki

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

kai-uchiha

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

ornis

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Last edited: