Seinen - A Trail of Blood by Shuuzou Oshimi | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen A Trail of Blood by Shuuzou Oshimi

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
A Trail of Blood (Chi no Wadachi)

Mangaka - Shuuzou Oshimi
Demographic - Seinen
Genre - Psychological
Series run - Feb 24, 2017 - current

Premise - Seichi is a teenage boy whose mother, Seiko, is very protective of him. Is there something more afoot?

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
I've been reading this since it comes out on MS. Nothing really happens but the eerie vibes keep you around, wanting to see what's going on. Vibes like 'is the mother a psycho' or 'incest' come to mind. Chapter 6 and 7 is where the mother shows what appears to be dissociative identity disorder, or something like that.

This manga is okay, and it's a quick read (you can skim it)... it has shock value potential.

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
The first 4 or so chapters did well in building suspense to the point where I got frustrated and begged for something to happen. But these last few chapters, especially the current one made it all worth it imo. That breakdown the mother had on the cliff was shocking. I mean I suspected she was some sort of serial killer but to see her obvious mental instability show itself in that manner was well done by the author. I'm waiting to see the impact this all has on Sei. Either she's grooming him or she's made him so dependent on her that she knows he won't reveal her secret. This manga reminds me a lot of Norman Bates from the movie Psycho and his relationship with his mother in a way. I can definitely see Sei becoming like that.

Hermit

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
It really counts as a Seinen then? :XD I saw the tag then got drawn in :zomg

Seraph

Reaction score
Country
Finland
I enjoy reading Trail of Blood honestly,
The Mother gives you a really "Creepy" Vibe wouldn't wanna have her in my House thats for sure :yodawg
The Family Trip was enjoyable as well but the Mother really has sick Moments like
in one Moment she says "Osabe I love you"....ewwww ok and in the Next she goes and says "You are Smoking too much now the Water is all Dirty"...after throwing a Kid down a Cliff.:yodawg
Its a Solid Read really i can recommend it it has a Nice build up from the First Chapters IMO and the Mother strikes you as "Possesed" sometimes.
Looking forward as to how it continues in the Future.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire

Seraph

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Yea it's seinen, it's serialised in Big Comic Superior (a bi-monthly seinen magazine).

Yea true. I think she's sexy as well, at times :derp
A Lovey Dovey Demon? :kappa
Well i think or I hope :kappayou mean the Art of her Face sometimes which triggers your...you know:kappa
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
http://readms.net/r/a_trail_of_blood/08/4371/1
New Chapter on MS.
Was a nice Chapter,but the Mother keeps freaking me out at Times,she acts really Weird or rather she can't accept that she killed Shigeru(I say he's dead because he looked like it to me).
She was really freaked out about it and Sei has no Idea how to act but i can't blame him thats Pressure on the Mind of High Level sure hope Shigeru survived anyway so he won't have to be Traumatized or at least not as much although that's a tough Request really.
I am really wondering how this Manga will keep to proceed in the Future since it obviously has big Room for Development both in Story and Characters.
Looking forward to the Next Chapter and especially looking out for what happened to Shigeru(as to wether he survived or not i mean).

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
I wonder if she has Dissociative identity disorder. I mean she's either a really good actress or she's just come back to herself. This chapter was eerily good. The reactions from both the mom and Sei were spot on. Well maybe not the mom because right now she is just beyond weird. But if Shiguru is still alive this could be trouble. Time for Sei to "protect" his mom:kappa Best case scenario is Shiguru has permanent amnesia lol.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
The emphasis on Sei and his mother hugging this chapter was somewhat...disturbing to read :s But I don't think it was just there for incest vibes. I think what happens every time Sei's mom kills is that to prevent her from going insane, she always makes sure she hugs Sei afterwards (the one thing in the world she can't hurt) so that she doesn't go over the edge. Basically, Sei is her anchor, and I believe that's what happened when the cat was killed (The cat might have been bothering Sei like the cousin did), so the mother killed it, but once she did, she nearly went over the edge (Or lost her sanity, getting major psychopath vibes from her tbh), so Sei had to also hug her back then to calm her down. That emphasis was just WAY too much to be a sheer coincidence.
As for the cousin, he's definitely alive, but the fear of being killed if he says who threw him over will cause him to lie about the incident. Either that or he falls into a coma and wakes up 10 chapters later when everyone is dead at the hands of Sei's mother :XD

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
The emphasis on Sei and his mother hugging this chapter was somewhat...disturbing to read :s But I don't think it was just there for incest vibes. I think what happens every time Sei's mom kills is that to prevent her from going insane, she always makes sure she hugs Sei afterwards (the one thing in the world she can't hurt) so that she doesn't go over the edge. Basically, Sei is her anchor, and I believe that's what happened when the cat was killed (The cat might have been bothering Sei like the cousin did), so the mother killed it, but once she did, she nearly went over the edge (Or lost her sanity, getting major psychopath vibes from her tbh), so Sei had to also hug her back then to calm her down. That emphasis was just WAY too much to be a sheer coincidence.
As for the cousin, he's definitely alive, but the fear of being killed if he says who threw him over will cause him to lie about the incident. Either that or he falls into a coma and wakes up 10 chapters later when everyone is dead at the hands of Sei's mother :XD
Yeah those hugs are not very comfortable to watch lol. I thought she was extra creepy but him being her anchor is a good shout. I just find it a little hard to believe that the husband/father knows nothing about whats going on, not even a suspicious look when he found them on the cliff. But then again If he does know then this family might be more messed up than we think. Poor Sei.

Seraph

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Yeah those hugs are not very comfortable to watch lol. I thought she was extra creepy but him being her anchor is a good shout. I just find it a little hard to believe that the husband/father knows nothing about whats going on, not even a suspicious look when he found them on the cliff. But then again If he does know then this family might be more messed up than we think. Poor Sei.
Wasn't Sei's Father working most of the Times we saw him or rather going to work?
Maybe he just doesn't have the Time to learn of the Happenings surrounding his Family/Wife,because he's too busy spending his Time with Work and everytime we saw him come home we saw a Short Talk between them and nothing more,their Marriage might not be the Best either i mean they did have nothing much to talk on their Trip either considering what we saw so far but then again the Story is just a few Chapters in so let's wait and see how it develops.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
It could be a scenario where the dad knows, but he chooses to turn a blind eye to it. Either that or the mother puts on a REALLY good act whenever the dad is around, and only ever shows her dark side around Sei (leaning more towards this one). Like what she did (or well, does?) around the grandmother and cousin. If it's the second one, I can see the dad end up being a casualty in future and the mom aims to kill him if he tries anything with Sei.

Seraph

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Ok i can honestly say just 1 Thing about this Manga...THE MOTHER KEEPS FREAKING ME OUT! :XD:XD:XD
This is so creepy,i really don't know how things can unfold this way if you are in your Right Mind but then again this doesn't seem to be the case here at all omg.
This Chapter was really good,and i really gave me chills when i saw the Mother cry again this Manga does a good Job on delivering Emotions to its readers i like it and hope it continues onward like this.
That being said Shigeru is still alive surprisingly i really thought we'd see him live his Last Moments here and be shocked from seeing Sei's Mom but that wasn't the case while he surely looked shocked at seeing her talk to him and even belittle him kind of.
That was surprising she is definitely mentally unstable and i dont want to know what kind of twisted Past or Accident caused her to be like that,judging by Sei's Reactions and behaviour i'd say he is still not fully in the Picture so to speak considering that he just a short time ago saw his own Mother do this and now he nearly saw Shigeru die because of it.:oooh
I really am curious about how this will continue,i could see Sei reflecting on the Happenings and maybe he talks to his Dad about it yeah i think that's actually possible.
Anyway looking forward to the next Chapter as to wether i am right or not will be seen.:teach

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Chapter was alright. Nothing really happened. But their facial reactions were great. Everyone is basically wondering what happens now. I know the mom must be worried. I feel like Sei will soon reach a crossroads where he will have to expose his mother or protect her. The promise of chaos next chapter has me excited :D

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Interesting chapter, but I feel as if the bulk of the conversation in this chapter was Shigeru :XD Weird feeling, also, was there any need to call in a freaking helicopter to save Shigeru :blink Unless the relatives tend to be overly extravagant like that (I can see this being something down along the line)
Sei's mom's tears.....makes me think that she might be sad at Shigeru's current fate, since she might have to try harder next time to kill him, that or she's genuinely sad at his current state (If this really is dissociative identity disorder, her good side might be the one in command now). Hoping it's the first one though, I feel as if that will fit into the tone of this manga more.
Hopefully Shigeru turns over a new leaf after this in the event that he survives :notrust If he continues being a douche to Sei like before then please get rid of him as soon as possible :facepalm

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Interesting chapter, but I feel as if the bulk of the conversation in this chapter was Shigeru :XD Weird feeling, also, was there any need to call in a freaking helicopter to save Shigeru :blink Unless the relatives tend to be overly extravagant like that (I can see this being something down along the line)
Sei's mom's tears.....makes me think that she might be sad at Shigeru's current fate, since she might have to try harder next time to kill him, that or she's genuinely sad at his current state (If this really is dissociative identity disorder, her good side might be the one in command now). Hoping it's the first one though, I feel as if that will fit into the tone of this manga more.
Hopefully Shigeru turns over a new leaf after this in the event that he survives :notrust If he continues being a douche to Sei like before then please get rid of him as soon as possible :facepalm
In regards to the helicopter I think it's more to do with their position in a forest? Wherever they went camping is probably hard to access by motor vehicles so emergency helicopters wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

What do you think of the dad this chapter? Everyone worried about Shigeru but he immediately zero's in on Sei, after he asked him to look after his mother last chapter. I dunno, i still think he knows more than we think. He might be that wild card character. Thinking way ahead, maybe Sei finally confesses to his dad in a later chapter, looking for help or something and his dad is like "I know." :XD

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
In regards to the helicopter I think it's more to do with their position in a forest? Wherever they went camping is probably hard to access by motor vehicles so emergency helicopters wouldn't be out of the ordinary.
Oh, fair point. I didnt think they had ventured that far into the woods. i just thought it might have been overreacting in a way :XD But that logic makes more sense.
What do you think of the dad this chapter? Everyone worried about Shigeru but he immediately zero's in on Sei, after he asked him to look after his mother last chapter. I dunno, i still think he knows more than we think. He might be that wild card character. Thinking way ahead, maybe Sei finally confesses to his dad in a later chapter, looking for help or something and his dad is like "I know." :XD
There's a chance that the dad might know about the mom, I was also thinking this, like, there's no need to make Sei have a dad if the focus is just going to be between him and the mom. What if the dad is the one who usually calms the mom down after her killing sprees, but this time because he wasn't around, Sei was the one who had to do it? That could have been what he was referring to by 'look after your mother'. Unless he meant that Sei should stop the mom from going on a killing rampage and killing all the relatives :3c

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
There's a chance that the dad might know about the mom, I was also thinking this, like, there's no need to make Sei have a dad if the focus is just going to be between him and the mom. What if the dad is the one who usually calms the mom down after her killing sprees, but this time because he wasn't around, Sei was the one who had to do it? That could have been what he was referring to by 'look after your mother'. Unless he meant that Sei should stop the mom from going on a killing rampage and killing all the relatives :3c
Yes. Exactly. And how his focus went immediately to them. I mean you can write it off as a concerned husband and father, but your nephew is lying broken and almost dead on the ground in front of you but you barely spare him a glance. Something isn't adding up. I like your take on it that he's usually the one to calm her down :verily