A website which is a directory/database of all Edited Manga groups | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

A website which is a directory/database of all Edited Manga groups

Is this a good idea?

• Yes. I've been longing for such a website, too.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • No. 'nuff said. Such a website doesn't exist for a reason.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Maybe. But I'm already ok with the database available to us at this time.

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters

miss_fit

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I am extremely grateful to ALL Edited Manga groups out there who work extremely hard without any compensation at all aside from the 'THANK YOUs' of fans.

Although major manga sites like mangahelpers (to which I'm sure we're all thankful to) dedicate a whole section for Manga Editors, I am still disappointed that there is no website which is SOLELY dedicated for all Edited Manga groups. A website which will serve as a very comprehensive database of Edited Manga groups for all those who want to join, thank, subscribe and donate to them.

I'm actually planning to start such a website or at least a group or something. Where we can browse Edited Manga groups either alphabetically or by genre. Where a description of the Edited Manga group can be readily seen (like how we already see the brief summaries of stories at fanfiction.net) and where a link to their sites, IRC and forums are available.

Why? Try typing 'Edited Manga groups' in your google search box and see how cluttered the hits are. Not to mention that there are groups without a website and such.

Is this a good idea? Or not? Please comment and vote at the poll with the question 'IS THIS A GOOD IDEA?' found above. Thanks. :)

If you do think it is a good idea, kindly post on this thread the Edited Manga group you want to include, a description of the group, and links to their websites, IRC and forums. There are a lot of Edited Manga groups out there and it will be very difficult to gather information on all of them.

Thanks all for taking the time to read this. I really hope this is considered. :)

Last edited:

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
That's not an easy thing to do. First of all there are many (even old) groups who simply don't want to be associated with a bigger site. There are groups who want to stay without a website at all and groups who love their closed-friends little place. You have many Manga Editors that work anonymous and many one-person-works that only get shared on LJ or similar places without the wish for becoming a group at all.

A site as you plan it only works for those Manga Editors who like to promote themselves and their works actively which is maybe 1/3 or even 1/4 of all active groups out there. You simply won't get more into such a system.

Also, groups come and die, some fast and some slow. That needs to be taken into consideration as well. Joints, disbanded groups, single Manga Editors. Everyone with a individual policy and view on the scene. It's a HUGE mess.

The best solution on getting a nearly complete list is still a site like MangaUpdates with the focus on being a manga series database. You have the manga and from there you go to everyone related to it (author, Manga Editor, publisher). The Manga Editors' page there is detailed enough to find their website and works easily unless they actively refuse to be there.

Here at Mangahelpers, we already have what you talk about. Take a look at the new beta functions which are constantly in development. The translator and Manga Editor are already our main focus here but we never will get a complete Manga Editor database either because of what I said before and for the time being also because of our restriction on family friendly series.

A website solely dedicated for all Edited Manga groups is doomed to stay small and in my personal opinion also not necessary because what I want is the manga, not the group. The whole key point of Editing manga is to promote the manga and the mangaka and not to push the Manga Editors into the foreground. Of course, I'm grateful and all but my thanks go primary to the mangaka for coming up with the wonderful stories in the first place, so a series/author-focused database is more appealing to me than one who places the spotlight solely on the groups.

Don't get me wrong, it's just that you see it more and more often that leechers know all the groups doing mainstream series but they can barely spell the mangaka's name. Sometimes people don't even know the mangaka name, just the group name. That's a development based on frequent group promotion instead of highlighting the real author/artists.

Last edited:

miss_fit

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Hmmm... Thank you so much for reminding me of some facts which I have neglected. Come to think of it, the whole world of Edited Manga groups really is a HUGE mess, as you've said.

I guess this idea was sort of an attempt to bring seeming order to that mess. Some time ago, I wanted to join a scan group, however I had a very difficult time finding groups which were recruiting someone with skills such as mine.

Anyway, everything is just about the manga series essentially, and credits due more to the author than to the scan groups.

I'm looking for further insights as intensive as yours on this idea. :)

KuronekoX

Reaction score
Country
Japan
I realize this is an old thread but I wanted to say something,
my friend and I were just talking about how we wanted a forum for just Manga Editors.
I'm not sure if a site like that exists already but I do agree that there should be an entire site dedicated to Manga Editors. I think it's really hard to do but if there was some way to keep the forum open to Manga Editors only, it'd be really helpful.
It's a bit different from what you suggested but I think it'd be nice to have a forum by Manga Editors, for Manga Editors. I think it'd be nice to be able to use it as an info site for asking questions and answers but also calling dibs on a series.
Joining the site or not is your own choice so I think it's a good idea.
anyways, just a though :)

jenyroger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is not really easy to do this type of task which can be performed to good idea that can be already exists to the entire site to dedicated the Manga Editors it is really very hard to do that type of forum to Manga Editors .

CptCrunch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
0.0 I just wanted to mention that Batoto has quite a big Manga Editor database as well as manga updates :)