Shounen - Act-age by Tatsuya Matsuki & Shiro Usazaki | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Act-age by Tatsuya Matsuki & Shiro Usazaki

cody

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Joker

Title: Act-age
Story: Tatsuya Matsuki
Art: Shiro Usazaki
Genres: Shounen, Slice of Life
Serialized in: Weekly Shounen Jump
Publisher: Shueisha

You can read it here

Synopsis:
Kei Yonagi comes from a poor family. Her father ran out on her and her two younger siblings, leaving her to fend for the family herself. When the opportunity comes to chase her dream of becoming an actress, Yonagi jumps at the chance. Catching the eye of Director Sumiji Kuroyama, Yonagi’s opportunity to shine has come. However, Yonagi’s talent for acting comes from her extreme and innate ability for Method Acting, one that various individuals note as potentially self-destructive.

There are high chances this will be a short lived manga. I made this thread just in case it doesn't get axed soon. I personally really enjoyed this.​

Last edited:

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
I updated the look of the thread and I added a link to where you can read the manga, since the translations are alive again, yay. And it looks like the manga won't be so short lived after all.

Mankichi Togawa

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Spain
We're still like 15 chapters behind but finally there is being scanlated again. I hope Fallen Angels doesn't stop it.

Is a mistery what will happen to Act-tage. Isn't doing bad in rankings, is getting color pages, and in theory, it should be surviving. Yet volumes 3 and 4 were selling at the same time, weren't they?

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Chapter 7 out.

Very interesting chapter. We know more "rivals"

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Chapter 8 was truly brilliant.

Kocksmaw

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've always been interested in Act-Age after Viz released the first 3 chapters a while back. The art and paneling leaves a bit to be desired, but I was interested in the story and the main character seemed interesting and fresh(or maybe I like her ahoge, because I've played Danganronpa and all). Anyways, finally caught up today, and I'm really liking it. Kei is quite the MC, and these new rival actors could be a sign of good things to come in the future.

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Chapter 9 scanlated is out. That tension.

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Liked how Yonagi turned the three into the bad guys which justified killing them in self-defense. Too bad Akane lost it because of the insensitivity of the situation those four were in, a setting which told them to try to kill each other in 5 minutes and they just managed to get a flow going between them. And then Yonagi just goes and says "you're all wrong, what are you doing?". Given Akane's background story we were also told this chapter it is no wonder she snapped like that. On the other hand her anger made her more intense and her friend more quick-witted, in other words because of the sudden change Yonagi show-cased the real worth of her three acting colleagues. So I doubt the director will not hire her if she got such qualities.

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain
After all stuff that happened with FA, it seems /a/ has decided to scanlate this too. For the moment, chapter 10 has been scanlated some hours ago.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Edited Manga drama season is here.

Last edited:

masgrande

Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
Liked how Yonagi turned the three into the bad guys which justified killing them in self-defense. Too bad Akane lost it because of the insensitivity of the situation those four were in, a setting which told them to try to kill each other in 5 minutes and they just managed to get a flow going between them. And then Yonagi just goes and says "you're all wrong, what are you doing?". Given Akane's background story we were also told this chapter it is no wonder she snapped like that. On the other hand her anger made her more intense and her friend more quick-witted, in other words because of the sudden change Yonagi show-cased the real worth of her three acting colleagues. So I doubt the director will not hire her if she got such qualities.
Still Akane losing her cool like that at the end when the others two were finally getting a flow for the scene does show she has a long way to go.

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Chapter 11 out by FA
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

--- Double Post Merged, ---
Chapter 12 out by FA
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Chapters 13-20 out!

ShenGao

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I've binge read Act-Age now and it's ok. Better than Jujutsu for sure. The start was boring, especially Kuroyama who was straight up annoying with his antics, but this death island arc without him has been much better.
I can see why Viz wouldn't pick it up. 90% of it is centered on Yonagi and her "dangerous" acting (whatever that is) and how to overcome this to become a better actor, which is something their prime audience (young males) probably don't care about.

nonowa

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
I've binge read Act-Age now and it's ok. Better than Jujutsu for sure. The start was boring, especially Kuroyama who was straight up annoying with his antics, but this death island arc without him has been much better.
I can see why Viz wouldn't pick it up. 90% of it is centered on Yonagi and her "dangerous" acting (whatever that is) and how to overcome this to become a better actor, which is something their prime audience (young males) probably don't care about.
I've indeed read people not really liking Kuroyama in 5ch and thinking that the ratings increased due to his disappearance.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've indeed read people not really liking Kuroyama in 5ch and thinking that the ratings increased due to his disappearance.
I'd say it's the combination of that and introducing all of the actors that are her own age. All of those guys and girls really helped bring out some great moments in Yonagi's character.

Last edited by a moderator:

shoyoboyo

Reaction score
Country
United States
How is it underrated?

MangAniMY

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
definitely not underrated here, moderately appreciated more likely. Maybe because everyone here, myself included are trying to act critical.

on r/manga, (let be honest, is the most convenient way to gauge interest of heavy readers next to mangadex and aggregator sites) the series seem to be on a decent level of engagement (above things nobody reads and niche titles, but below mainstreams and fluff series) especially for a relatively new series by newbie creators with the only big behind it is being published in Jump.

Its TOC position is in my opinion quite fair, considering the other currently running series.

and I have no idea about 5chan and 4chan because I don't want to get cancer.

Does is deserve more praise? I'm not too sure, it needs more readers first.