Discussion - Against the Gods (ATG) | Page 10 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Against the Gods (ATG)

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yup, most will not be any challenge for Yun Che... The Emperor is a monarch though, and there will be a lineup of Tyrants to get to him. They will be messy but not overly difficult to get to him. I'm kind of concerned about that princess from the Divine Phoenix empire... can't remember her name. Is she still unconscious or has she woken up and will defend her father?

strixflash

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
@Jammin Wow! Cool avatar! I thought there was a new user here but than I saw the name.

Exciting times ahead.

Wowzers

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have to admit, I've been losing interest in this series. I'd personally like it if he went back to outsmarting people like when he disguised himself as a famous doctor and infiltrated the Xiao (branch) sect and ended up stealing their entire medicinal stores. The more recent stories have been pretty meh.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
To be honest, I dropped this one.

It was so great for so long then it lost me. I think, I needed a bit more character from his love interests then I got. They started to feel a bit the same to me and that was a problem. I need distinct characters.

I also discovered another author who writes a bit more to my tastes a guy named Fenling Tianxia. It's similar but with main characters that aren't quite as OP and a very odd sense of humor. Which I enjoy. I've been reading all his stuff.

Wowzers

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
He writes Otherworldly Evil Monarch... I've seen the title before but haven't looked it up. I may have to do that.

By the way, Yun Che is currently getting engaged to Princess Snow.
Jasmine is alive again.
The Little Demon Empress is (we think) searching for Yun Che since he hasn't been around in a while.
Xia Qingyue and Chu Yuechan don't even seem to be on the planet anymore?
Little Aunt is still the same.
Did I leave anyone out... Ah! Cang Yue (Blue Wind Empress) is alive and well and cheering on Yun Che's debauchery.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
He writes Otherworldly Evil Monarch... I've seen the title before but haven't looked it up. I may have to do that.

By the way, Yun Che is currently getting engaged to Princess Snow.
Jasmine is alive again.
The Little Demon Empress is (we think) searching for Yun Che since he hasn't been around in a while.
Xia Qingyue and Chu Yuechan don't even seem to be on the planet anymore?
Little Aunt is still the same.
Did I leave anyone out... Ah! Cang Yue (Blue Wind Empress) is alive and well and cheering on Yun Che's debauchery.
It was the timeskips and the love interest stuff that hurt it for me. I felt like he picked his long lost family over his friends in the other land and that's a dealbreaker romance wise.

Fengling Tianxia appeals to me because he writes a similar sort of story but almost like a Monty Python version.

He likes putting serious characters in bizarre situations. Like one time a protagonist is trying to sneak into a place to steal something and the rain starts pouring and it makes a noise that the badass guards can hear. So to go more quietly he strips naked. So he's climbing on his enemy's roof, in the nude listening to his insidious plan. And then it the rain turns into hail.:XD

That's very indicative of way his series go. Realms In The Firmament, Otherworldly Evil Monarch, Transcending the Nine Heavens. They are all superbadass character transmigrated into a weaker body. The main characters tend to be 100% serious about everything they do but that just makes it funner when they wind up naked or mistaken for a lolicon or on one occasion engaging in a literal pissing contest.

I Am Atomic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yun Che has 1 month left to live because of the devil qi acting in his body. No one can help him, not even the Golden Crow Spirit. Xuanyuan Wentian is the strongest in antagonist in the planet now and not even Yun Che (6th Tyrant Level)+Little Demon Empress (Half-step Divine)+Feng Xuer (Half-step Divine) can beat Wentian. Since he is going to die anyways, he asks the Golden Crow Spirit if he can beat Wentian if he opens the 5th gate Hades. Golden Crow Spirit answers and says that he can beat Wentian pretty easily. Yun Che decides to visit Azure Cloud Continent to collect Su Linger (gf from his previous life) and bring her to Illusionary Demon Realm. We learn that Su Linger has a treasure on her and people are looking for it. That's upto 872.

I think it is a medicine book, the same book Yun Che's master used in the previous life. Yun Che's master only had 1/3 of the book available to him and that was enough to make him the best Doctor in the world. So Yun Che will obtain the complete book and cure his devil qi. Comes back stronger and defeat Wentian.

EmberSpirit

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Does this novel have main characters that kill everyone off for shit that are no big deal? Just wanting to know if I should avoid it because every wuxia novel I read, I usually drop them for that reason. Main characters make a big deal out of everything, makes me prefer shonen mc.

Last edited:

I Am Atomic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does this novel have main characters that kill everyone off for shit that are no big deal? Just wanting to know if I should avoid it because every wuxia novel I read, I usually drop them for that reason. Main characters make a big deal out of everything, makes me prefer shonen mc.
Yes. MC kills too many people to count.
In his previous life he killed about 7 million people using poison

I don't follow ATG for the action, but for the history, the heavenly treasures and his counter arguments. MC is more ruthless when he talks. I think so far he has done it about 3 times. Every single one of his words pierces through the opponents heart. I often wondered how the opponents doesn't commit suicide after that lol.

What I hate about ATG:
1. Harem - he gets the best girls out there. No exceptions. I mean the age as well. You could be 13 or 50, MC doesn't care.
2. Relatives doesn't die - He pisses many people off leading to many people kidnapping his relatives but he is always there in the nick of time
3. Fake death - people believes he dies too many times

You might need to avoid it I guess. This guy overreacts a lot.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Pretty much. It doesn't start out like that but as it goes along....yeah.:(.

He's really not a "turn the other cheek" kinda guy. In the beginning he had sufficient reason for it but at certain point it just starts seeming like he's the architect of most of his own problems. Deescalation is not a skill he possesses.