Shounen - Ahiru no Sora by Hinata Takeshi | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Ahiru no Sora by Hinata Takeshi

Tensai_Sakuragi

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

Ahiru no Sora by Hinata Takeshi

About the series:
Kurumatani Sora is a feisty and stubborn high school freshman who loves basketball. Trying to follow the footsteps of his mother, a former olympic representative for Japan, this small and weak boy polishes his shooting form with great dedication.

With no athleticism or height, Sora can´t jump very high. He´s a bird that can´t fly.
That´s why his long arching 3-pointers are his only way to reach the skies.
His wings.

This sports shonen bestseller is full of fun characters, dramatic scenes and exciting basketball games.

By: Hinata Takeshi
Genre: Sports, Romance, Slice of Life, Drama, Yankee
Serialized In: Kodansha's Weekly Shonen Magazine
Groups Editing: Project Bite Me! Edited Mangas, Earth's Utopia

--

Ok, here´s a thread for AhiSora fans.
I know the fanbase is still very small, but let´s try to have some talk going on, right?

Like... what are your favorite characters so far?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: [Ongoing] Ahiru no Sora by Hinata Takeshi

I haven't read new chapters since Rycolaa dropped. Now that it's being translated again I plan on catching up. Great series, well worth reading. Once I finishing catching up on Area no Kishi (another great sports series from ShoMag) I'll catch up on Sora.

raikou

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Thank you for making this thread Tensai_Sakuragi. I was going to make it myself but it's too much work so I'm waiting for the others to make this. This is one of my favorite sports manga, and one of the best now. I have read until volume 19. My country published it but new volumes hasn't been out for a few months. The techniques, comedy, are really good. And each of the main character have their own specialty but have their own weakness and that's what makes this manga is quite real and interesting. I almost like all Kuzuryu High Members, but I particularly like Yasuhara. His potential and character growth are really interesting. I like to see him someday surpassing Tobi. I also like Chiaki and Momoharu, they are amazing. Tobi is the typical genius player, but there's something different about him than other genius basketball player in a manga, like Rukawa or generation of miracles. And Nabe is unpredictably awesome. I read the raws that he
made Kuzuryu won against Kitasumi
Sora's growth is good too. It's good that the hero isn't a forward but a shooting guard. And he clearly has shown more hardwork rather than other main hero basketball. In conclusion, this manga is awesome.

Last edited:

KuwabaraTheMan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've read up through the the end of Volume 3 so far. It's pretty interesting from what I've seen, and I'm enjoying seeing the characters getting fleshed out.

raikou

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Volume 3 means the end of match with Shinmaruko and the introduction with Tobi. You should continue. It's getting more interesting later. Who's your favorite character?

Last edited:

Ush

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thank you for the thread :) I haven't really gotten attached to one real character yet.. But I kind of love Chiaki the point guard lol. I like how he's also the tallest guy on the team, but he's running point.. plus he's just done so well for comic relief, I love it.

Now I wish scantalations would be faster, I've been waiting for Chapter 30 forever! And apparently this manga has like 20 volumes, so much to read yet it'll take so long before I can read it :(

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: [Featured] Ahiru no Sora by Hinata Takeshi

Chiaki is a great character. Deceptively smart, at least on the court. For all his humor and feigned apathy he is ultimately a nice person who makes things happen, like a true point guard he has discreetly driven the story. So far he's my favorite, she may be new (as of chapter 29) but Nao is giving him a run for his money. Smart girl, she'll make a good coach/manager. She and Sora make a great pairing.

Tensai_Sakuragi

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I have read until volume 19. My country published it but new volumes hasn't been out for a few months.
I envy you so much, man. I hope this series can get published over here someday. :darn

And each of the main character have their own specialty but have their own weakness and that's what makes this manga is quite real and interesting.
So true. It´s cool to see that EVERYONE on this manga (except for the top tiers) PLAIN SUCKS at some aspect of the game. It really makes the characters more believable.

I almost like all Kuzuryu High Members, but I particularly like Yasuhara. His potential and character growth are really interesting. I like to see him someday surpassing Tobi. I also like Chiaki and Momoharu, they are amazing.
Yasu is cool. He´s pretty talented when it comes to dribbling and attacking the rim, but I don´t think he´ll ever surpass Tobi. The difference in experience is far too great.

Oh, the Hanazono twins. They´re pure awesomeness, indeed. :amuse

Tobi is the typical genius player, but there's something different about him than other genius basketball player in a manga, like Rukawa or generation of miracles.
That´s simple: he lacks height and athleticism. He´s MUCH less gifted than characters like Rukawa (or, to use an AhiSora example, Momoharu). Guy can´t dunk or rebound very well. Tobi is ALL about skill.

He´s talented, yeah, but his dribbling, shooting and ball handling are also a result of constant practice.

And Nabe is unpredictably awesome.
Nabe´s shooting form is the coolest thing ever. Period.

In conclusion, this manga is awesome.
You got that right. :zomg

Thank you for the thread :) I haven't really gotten attached to one real character yet.. But I kind of love Chiaki the point guard lol. I like how he's also the tallest guy on the team, but he's running point..
Elbow pass = cooler than anything I´ve seen on KuroBa. And hey, it´s even DOABLE. :p

Now I wish scantalations would be faster, I've been waiting for Chapter 30 forever! And apparently this manga has like 20 volumes, so much to read yet it'll take so long before I can read it :(
32 volumes and counting. Yeah, the wait is gonna be killer.
It´ll problably end at 45 volumes or so, looking at the plot progression (yeah, I skim through raws).

Chiaki is a great character. Deceptively smart, at least on the court. For all his humor and feigned apathy he is ultimately a nice person who makes things happen, like a true point guard he has discreetly driven the story. So far he's my favorite
Yes, I like Chiaki a lot. What´s truly impressive, though, is that Hinata escaped the trap of turning him into "the badass funny guy who is always right or in control of the situation". It´d be easy to just turn him into the second coming of E21´s Hiruma Youichi (funny character who´s also the mastermind behind the evolution of his teammates), but for all his qualities on and off the court, he´s also flawled as a player and as a person, and the reader GETS TO SEE his weaknesses here and there (Hiruma, although an amazing character, suffers from the "too misteryous to have depht" syndrome).

she may be new (as of chapter 29) but Nao is giving him a run for his money. Smart girl, she'll make a good coach/manager. She and Sora make a great pairing.
You´ll be surprised at how many couples we´ll get in this series in the future. And I mean REAL PLOTS reagardind those couples, not the usual "small hint" crap.

I do like Sora and Nao together, but personally I support another possible pairing for her. Won´t tell ya, though. :p

As for my favorite characters:

Too hard to pick just one or two. Heck, the Kuzuryuu and Yokohama teams alone have so much great characters...

With that said, Tarou and Niño are beasts. :toc [/not really a spoiler]

Ush

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Re: [Featured] Ahiru no Sora by Hinata Takeshi

I'm already forgetting a lot of names as the releases for the chapters are so slow :| I'm going to go back and read what has been translated so far :D

I just saw on the MH main page someone randomly translated chapters like 53 and 57 or something... is there translations for chapters 30-into the 50's? If so I'll read the raws that way.

Oh and that's interesting hearing about the pairings, I kind of want to read it even more now :x

Last edited:

Tensai_Sakuragi

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Chapters 30 through 34 have been released by the guys at Pinoy Manga.
Many thanks to them.

In these chapters, Yasuhara is already starting to stand out as a more disciplined guy than his peers (most likely because of his karate background). Tobi and Chiaki also kind of butt heads because of their different views on the importance of motivation.

And Momoharu... well...

Hang in there, man. Just hang in there.

Ush

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Chapters 30 through 34 have been released by the guys at Pinoy Manga.
Many thanks to them.

In these chapters, Yasuhara is already starting to stand out as a more disciplined guy than his peers (most likely because of his karate background). Tobi and Chiaki also kind of butt heads because of their different views on the importance of motivation.

And Momoharu... well...

Hang in there, man. Just hang in there.
Haha loved it. I hope Pinoy Manga stay true to their commitment of a chapter around every 3 days~ that would be cool. There are a lot of frickin volumes though lol.

I also read the raws along with the translations which goes up to about 55, it gets pretty interesting.. especially on Chiaki's position. I may have to go back and read it, but it seems like his best position isn't actually PG huh.

Holy crap, a bunch of chapters released up to 46! Sweet!

Last edited:

ErosVp

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I was looking for a sport manga to read, and came across Ahiru no sora and area no kishi.... I read 10 chapter of each one and decided to continue Ahiru no sora first. It really is a great manga! It is different the main character is a chibby shooting guard, he will have his weakness forever... The PG is the the biggest player and is kind slow, and Tobi is a genius but don't give that aura of invencible (maybe because he is not the protagonist)....

Anyway, good to see i started at a good time. I just catch up to the latest chapter at mangareader and it was the end of their match! I didn't have to wait lol! Does someone knows how many chapters are released in japan?

Ush

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I was looking for a sport manga to read, and came across Ahiru no sora and area no kishi.... I read 10 chapter of each one and decided to continue Ahiru no sora first. It really is a great manga! It is different the main character is a chibby shooting guard, he will have his weakness forever... The PG is the the biggest player and is kind slow, and Tobi is a genius but don't give that aura of invencible (maybe because he is not the protagonist)....

Anyway, good to see i started at a good time. I just catch up to the latest chapter at mangareader and it was the end of their match! I didn't have to wait lol! Does someone knows how many chapters are released in japan?
I believe there's quite a few.. like 200+?

Inumaru

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Lol, first part of chapter 57 was hilarious, i'm really happy with Nabe finally taking the spotlight in the manga.

Ush

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm liking Sora's transition to a 3 pt shooting PG. Just cause he can shoot 3's doesn't mean he's suited for the SG spot, really.

ErosVp

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Yeah, but i wonder if he will be able to make passes like Chiaki.... And what will Chiaki do now....

Ush

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yeah, but i wonder if he will be able to make passes like Chiaki.... And what will Chiaki do now....
Well I think some more characters will be introduced and Chiaki might still rotate for PG and such. And I imagine Chiaki could still make amazing passes from the low post or whatever.

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
I also tried to start the two sports of Mag, the problem is that Area no Kishi starts with the exact same plot device as another one I recently read so I did not continue. On the contrary, Sora appealed me immediately. Well the delinquent redeem by sport is not really something new but I still had a lot of pleasure. The team does not miraculously win against veteran team which is quite unusually realistic. The last chapters (~90) are really sad, I hope the mood get a bit better soon.

---------- Post added August 02, 2012 at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was July 12, 2012 at 07:22 PM ----------

Hum the link in the first post is linking to Kuroko no basket...
Can some mod correct it ?

[Tmod=Doraku] Corrected. [/tmod]

Last edited by a moderator:

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
I just noticed momoharu new haircut was spoiled on the volume cover

I think i like the art of this serie more and more. I'm not the guy who wants it to be realistic but here it is very well done

shad3

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
India
I really like this manga and have already completed volume 21. But i can't seem to find the English translations of volume 22. Could someone please point me in the right direction.