Shounen Bakuman by Ohba Tsugumi and Obata Takeshi

Muddy

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Baku-man by Ohba x Obata (Death Note creators)

Hah, awesome chapter. I'm loving this series more every week. The characters are great.

Lohnt

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Greece

I started reading this, and I really like it.

This is one of the very few non-violent-action manga's I can tolerate. I really hope it sticks around.

sylvira

Reaction score
Country
United States

Agreed! I look forward to the next chapter.

Sherlock Holmes

Reaction score
Country
Canada

Did I miss this week's chapter or something?

Agrias

Holy Knight
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

Chapter is out ^^

Takagi's flashback was meh...i felt like it was kinda misplaced, and it did not add much depth to the character. He's still my favourite though. <3

And here i was thinking they were going to fail miserably...but it seems their editor is a loser, by the way the other ones were making fun of him =p Are we going on the "young boys + loser = success" route? =p
Ah, there was a huge announcement..."This guys will have a fight in the future and they'll break up the team, just wait~~"...:/

Ah, can't wait to see Eiji :3

And about the desks thing...reminded me of fanfiction, so sugary and cliche, but makes my fangirl heart happy. xD

ttxdragon

Dearly Missed ;__;
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Venezuela

Eh? I liked Takagis flashback, it didn't add too much but it helped to set the stage for upcoming character development. Better than getting everything served at once, right? :p

The editors eyes were creepy o.O
But yeah, the story lineout we were given about Double Earth was interesting so I doubted they made it a 'total fail'. On the other hand, I was impressed once again about the approach and how it really doesn't seem to 'get out of hand'. Since it's in constant danger of becoming extremely unrealistic. After all, it's a WSJ manga >.<
The editors words were pretty nice and added insight, though it was pretty logical if you think about it =3 The best stories are those that the author loves to do, unless it's a genius calculating everything into the story. =D

And yesh, agrias, the desk thing <3 So cliche, but somehow... great xD makes me think that this manga might've landed in the wrong magazine though xD It almost seems as if the Double-O team wants to put the secondary focus on romance, not that I mind :amuse

EL_manana

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation

I loved Takagis flashback. It shows perfectly one more time in what kind of system people live in Japan. They've been talking a lot about it, especially Mashiro - it is almost insane to make an unusual future life choice, you should totally fit in the plan of a SYSTEM and if you don't keep pace even at one period of your life like school or university, you fail miserably and your future is doomed. So we can see another struggle against the System and I think it is great. I like Takagi's character the most now.
And yeah, you can totally see that this manga is written by professionals. Even if we can see some hints to future development appearing, it doesn't ruin the impression at all. I guess everyone is bored with comparisons with DeathNote already but this chapter was the one that gave me the same feeling as DeathNote. The authors give us wonderful dialogs and manage to get us caught in words. I loved how the editor (he is sooo creepy) stated his opinion.
Oh, please not romance... I don't like Mashiro much and I am slowly starting to HATE Azuki. And I don't like when romance gets too obvious in shonen-manga. Subtle way is better- gives you some doubts and hopes so that you begin to search for signs and become so happy when you find them... But well, it is easy to make it "subtle" in unrealistic mangas with world destruction and wars. Here it is like real life, so... At least here you can feel some sincerity not like in DeathNote.

kaloo

Reaction score
Country
United States

The idea that the friends will break up is true, but the fact is that they aren't really friends(well they are fast developing a friendship). They are friends specifically because they are making the manga together.

EL_manana

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation

I think that they are good friends already. They weren't in the beginning but they became friends after they decided to make manga together. Very good friends since Takagi didn't even mind telling Mashiro such personal stuff as his past and his partly insane mother.

pirate-hitman:L

Reaction score
Country
United States

I loved this week's chapter. The desk part at the end was awesome.
Oh, and the Editor part felt like it was based off actual experience.

Neji2112

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

i'm going waaay out on a limb here, and maybe it's already been said... but im almost thinking that Bakuman is something almost like a dramatization of how the two of them (the creators) started their manga careers and they used their experiences in the past to give the story it's direction, and added side stories to keep it from being boring i guess.

it's a pretty good series over-all (not quite DA imo, but still good.) i hope it does well in the future.

Sexy Randal 105

Reaction score
Country
United States

I liked the over dramatic facial shading. XD

RealMonkey

Reaction score
Country
Germany

Dont know where i should post fanart or colorings from bakuman. I made a colo. But first i have to say it was a very good chapter imo. The Editor seems very trustfull to me, cause he says they will be better than the other one in three years. Hope it turns out good. I liked the idea of shujin for that bilnd pitcher manga, too. Bakuman is really nice to read. :D You could really call me a fanboy i think.

here the colo

http://livingdragon.deviantart.com/art/Bakuman-99809823

hope you like it. Its from first chapter page 24

haya5h1

RAW Provider
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia

I'm gonna say it's more like an amalgamation of a bunch of manga creators' experiences - maybe stories that Oba collected over the years or something. Although I'll bet real money Obata has had that "your art looks more like designs than manga" line handed to him before:XD

Of the two types described by the editor, this is a very calculated manga:XD It's got all the hot-button elements required for a successful shonen. and is even paced so that it can wrap up quickly if they get cancelled within the first six months. I would even say that it's calculated to appeal to the OEL market with its po-mo industry perspective - who, besides comics otaku, would really care about this topic?;)

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

well yeah it seems calculated, and as such is a mid ranger already instead of success XD

this is steadily climbing in my favourites, pretty much because of the editor from this week. a failure who needs a hit but seems to be young and calm minded enough to see talent heading his way. gotta love it

Quetz

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

I love this series. The editor introduced in this week seems to be pretty sure of them, but he's also smart enough to not make a big deal about it in front of them. This is easily my most anticipated manga for each week.

Sexy Randal 105

Reaction score
Country
United States

Funny, Death Note seemed calculated too. Ohba admitted he did it as he went along though.

I still say it reminds me a lot of Hikaru no Go. It has the same exact tone.

Lohnt

Reaction score
Country
Greece

So, what happened? The 8 'trial' issues were published, and now it's time for Jump to decide if they pick it up or not. Was it accepted or not? I really want it to be picked up, I consider it a success.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

that's not quite how it works. the first 8 weeks(not chapters) are just predetermined ranks in the table of contents, and after that it's given a rank representing it's favour with the editor, popularity, and general reception, usually through the mail in cards included with the anthology, fan letters, etc.

and the first rank was with chapter 7 which was mid range, chapter 8 picked itself up to a pretty good rank though (being number 5 out of the 13 ranked series that week (a top 5 position being strong))