Seinen - Basilisk by Yamada Fuutarou & Segawa Masaki (v05) | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Basilisk by Yamada Fuutarou & Segawa Masaki (v05)

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Basilisk Discussion Thread

So the anime IS similar in plot? (That was a question early in this thread.) I haven't seen the anime myself, only the first couple of episodes.

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Greece

I like Basilisk so far (downloaded all chapters, but haven't read them all yet due to my friend ALSO downloading Hellsing :p )

The drawings are awesome, the ninja powers too but most importantly, I like the way the story progresses. It's somehow cruel the way people just die. It makes the story more real, more adult, more war like. It's not like Naruto were our beloved Gaara died and was brought back, or -god forbid- Dragonball... Still, I don't mind Naruto being going on and on, I just wish I had all the volumes (even the ones Kishimoto hasn't even thought of yet) so that I could read it in a matter of days. All this wait for every chapter is tiresome (plus the chapters are progressing the story so slowly I often find myself forgeting key elements and never having "the big picture" in my mind).
Bottom line is, different manga are great for different reasons, and Basilisk is great in its own way. I know I love it, and will spread its fame :D

I just can't believe how many people I've met in Kavala that are into anime and manga! A friend of mine who is into Karas, Berserk, Naruto, Gantz, Bleach and the Manga Gods know what else started downloading the episodes of Basilisk a few days ago... What a coincidense! :amuse

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Awesome to know you're liking it so far, Anax. :) Yes, it's quite different and realistic. Now THAT's the world of ninja.

But like you, I don't begrudge Naruto for being aimed at a younger audience. The characters are memorable enough and the important scenes well written enough that I love Naruto for these reasons. I agree with you though, it will be good when we finally have the complete story of Naruto in our hands, just like Basilisk.

Haha, that's great you have friends who enjoy the same things you do. I've been meaning to download Hellsing for some time myself, but I have a lot of manga I'm reading already.

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
Reaction score
Country
Greece

Sadly, I finished reading the manga... The ending wasn't all that unpredictable. The plot too. From the first chapter I had a feeling it was going to be a short, cruel, blood bathed story... And it was an epic one at that. The creator used pain to convey his messages, though I don't know if he included them on purpose or if they were manifestations of his subconcious in conjunction with his experiences... If I were at home now I'd be crying, but I'm not, so the tears are welling up inside me and the blood is pounding in my neck... I don't think I'm made to endure such sorrow...
All those couples, all those young people! They could have lived and thrived, enjoying each other's love for as long as it would last... They could have lived happy and free, had they been born in different times and different places... So many love stories, so much sorrow, so much vain hatred and the trap of a neverending vendetta... Shakespear would have thought love prevailed, but not me... No, society's oppression prevailed once more and crushed the individual with its cruel, cold hand of... politics. People killing their loved ones for politics, power and a 400 year old meaningless grudge... Blind fools where all of them that couldn't see life, in all it's vanity, as a gift and wasted it so recklessly...

Excuse me... I can't go on...

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

*Hands Anax a handkerchief* XD

How about answering some questions - like, what was the biggest surprise to you in this series? Who was your favorite character? Ability? Part of the story? (Don't forget spoiler tags :) )

Miso

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Wonderful you liked it Anax *a second handkerchief.

The story of Basilisk is really interesting and addicting (?). The story processes forcefully till the end. I couldn't keep my hands away from this manga.

shoked

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score

i watched the whole anime and it was something that was going to happen for sure... havent read alll the manga but it seems that the anime had follow the manga i think.

even i think is still (why i am thinking about kenshin and ninja scroll...???)

well, this is the more realistic bloddy anime and manga regarding ninjas rigth now this month and year since they show escene like "omg the head.... bleeding and the ....uhhh....is flying the arm in the air .....waaa more blood...." lol

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
Reaction score
Country
Greece

*Takes the handkerchiefs*
*Blows his nose violently in GKs and wipes the torrent of tears that had been welling up inside him with Miso's*
*Hands them both their handkerchiefs*
*Feels one hell, 2 nutshells and half a tea spoon better*

My favorite male character in terms of looks was Yashamaru before he cut his hair. After that it was Hyoma, untill Koshiro wore that scarf on his head... absolutely marvelous!! My favorite female character was none other than Akeginu! Not ridiculously cute, naive and... virgin like Oboro, and still not seemingly fake like Okoi's lips, breasts, ass, curves, well you get the idea. Akeginu was somewhere in the middle, with one of my favorite all time manga hairstyles (especially the covered eye part), with sly, promising eyes and let's not get into further detail since there's women here :eyeroll Her blood control jutsu somehow made her even more beautiful in my eyes but that's going a little overboard for a lot of people so I won't get into details here either.

Favorite jutsu? As a hyped up, action loving boy, I'd say a tie between Yashamaru's string using and Gennosuke/Hyoma's eye jutsu for the sheer looks of it. I guess I'm highly affected by the looks of various jutsu in manga, rather than their power, which is probably why I'm so addicted to Shikamaru's Kage jutsus...
As a man though, in a twisted kind of way, I find Kagerou's jutsu exciting. Imagine being the only man who is immune to it :jk Damn, I really need to take my mind out of the gutter and think straight...

Again I don't have one favorite part of the story but two. I liked it near the end where it showed everyone alive, their leveryday lives, their love stories, a world of peace, a world that could have been... That part I liked for the sheer story element. I also liked the part involving Koshiro, from the point they find him guiding the hawk, up to his death. To tell you the truth, every part of the story with drawings of post-eyeloss Koshiro I loved... He was drawn so well, kind of like the way I saw myself with my mind's eye in the past when I wanted some peace... (Even at school, I'd close my eyes and feel blind, listening to everything).

I guess that about covers it. Let me add that despite my hatred for every one character, Ofuku's appearance shattered it all... She was meant ot be hated really, how could I resist :eyeroll

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Anax said:
My favorite male character in terms of looks was Yashamaru before he cut his hair. After that it was Hyoma, untill Koshiro wore that scarf on his head... absolutely marvelous!! My favorite female character was none other than Akeginu! Not ridiculously cute, naive and... virgin like Oboro, and still not seemingly fake like Okoi's lips, breasts, ass, curves, well you get the idea. Akeginu was somewhere in the middle, with one of my favorite all time manga hairstyles (especially the covered eye part), with sly, promising eyes and let's not get into further detail since there's women here :eyeroll Her blood control jutsu somehow made her even more beautiful in my eyes but that's going a little overboard for a lot of people so I won't get into details here either.

Favorite jutsu? As a hyped up, action loving boy, I'd say a tie between Yashamaru's string using and Gennosuke/Hyoma's eye jutsu for the sheer looks of it. I guess I'm highly affected by the looks of various jutsu in manga, rather than their power, which is probably why I'm so addicted to Shikamaru's Kage jutsus...
As a man though, in a twisted kind of way, I find Kagerou's jutsu exciting. Imagine being the only man who is immune to it :jk Damn, I really need to take my mind out of the gutter and think straight...

Again I don't have one favorite part of the story but two. I liked it near the end where it showed everyone alive, their leveryday lives, their love stories, a world of peace, a world that could have been... That part I liked for the sheer story element. I also liked the part involving Koshiro, from the point they find him guiding the hawk, up to his death. To tell you the truth, every part of the story with drawings of post-eyeloss Koshiro I loved... He was drawn so well, kind of like the way I saw myself with my mind's eye in the past when I wanted some peace... (Even at school, I'd close my eyes and feel blind, listening to everything).

I guess that about covers it. Let me add that despite my hatred for every one character, Ofuku's appearance shattered it all... She was meant ot be hated really, how could I resist :eyeroll
1. Koshiro was definitely cool and now that you mention it I think I have to agree, his scarf-wrapped version kicked butt in terms of visual design. Memorable to say the least. Loved the double spread of him in chapter 24.

2. As for female characters, although I am probably more into "ridiculously cute, naive and... virgin" girls than "supermodel types" like Akeginu - I think I actually liked Hotarubi the best, not Obori. Hotarubi was pretty cute, passionate, AND she wasn't as naive. And her butterfly jutsu - well, it's reminiscent of a previous relationship I used to have, I used to date a girl, Vanessa, whose name you probably know derives from the Greek word for "butterfly." Anyway, so I called her "Little Butterfly." And she also loved butterflies too. It's a theme I ended up enjoying with her so Hotarubi's butterfly jutsu was kind of appealing to me, both visually and emotionally.

3. Since you're known for your frank honesty, I guess I shouldn't worry about being blunt here either. Your attraction to Kagerou AND Akeginu's jutsu strikes me as kind of strange. =/ That was probably too TOO much information... XD

4. Agreed about that nice "quiet moment" of everybody in the past being one of the better parts of the story. I had initially thought, oh here we go, we're losing TOO many characters and the author is trying to stretch out the story a little more so we're into for some flashbacks. But when I realized it was just going to be a short flashback I went back and re-read it and enjoyed it. Made you REALLY feel for these characters, the kind of lifestyle they had to endure, the kind of circumstances that drowned them in hatred and blood.

5. Koshiro vs Hyoma was definitely my favorite fight in the series. Hyoma's proud defeat, how he refused to fall even when he was dead, was one of the more enduring moments of the series. Reminded me of Rock Lee against Gaara, except it's more realistic that Hyoma would use a sword to support his dead body.

shoked

Reaction score

Akeginu! is one of the hottest girl and when i saw her on the last episode...eh ...well no comments (nose bledding)

i like also the anotehr one which apears at the begining she was the sister of....hey wait a minute why i am not using spoiler... someone teach me ....LOL

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
Reaction score
Country
Greece

Code:
 [spoiler] spoilers here [/spoiler]
It appears like this
spoilers here

also
Code:
 [spoiler= text on the button] spoilers here [/spoiler]
It appears like this
spoilers here

shoked

Reaction score

thanks anax for the bbcode of it on this site... i will try it

those girls are so hot they looks like taken from a ******.... and tenzen was like trying to get the first ***** that had on the way because imagine a person who is inmortal ...lol...well he tried to get oboro and akeginu unfurtunatly he faild but the way how akeginu kill him on the aCT OF TRYING ....omg i would like that akeginu kill me as well if i were inmortal ...jk

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Congrats shoked, you did it ;)

Looks like one of the things that attract a lot of readers to this manga is all the female characters :eyeroll

shoked

Reaction score

well, it is not just that...at least for me it is a mature manga regarding ninjas. if i trie to compare this one basilisk with naruto. of course thatnaruto would be childish or for child and is full of jokes...

anyway i cant compared them because they are totally different ways of ninjas and on basilisk there is more real stuff blood and less friendship.

NOTE: the girls are just something as sutnade sama...the heaven....so you might be right.... lol

BUT i am a 100% naruto fan so >< even if i said that it is childish i like it and blabla bla....... one of my fav.

Miso

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

shoked said:
well, it is not just that...at least for me it is a mature manga regarding ninjas. if i trie to compare this one basilisk with naruto. of course thatnaruto would be childish or for child and is full of jokes...

anyway i cant compared them because they are totally different ways of ninjas and on basilisk there is more real stuff blood and less friendship.
Absolutely true. The story is much more serious than Naruto. Also it shows more brutality not only in how the ppl fight but also in their way of thinking. There is no time for scruples and most of the ninjas even don't seem to consider having them. :p

And the drawing style is HOT! The girls are.... :woot
And some of the male characters are also :thumbs ...(Gennosuke.....:love (but I don't like his girlish eyelashes) and Hyoma....:))

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Miso said:
Absolutely true. The story is much more serious than Naruto. Also it shows more brutality not only in how the ppl fight but also in their way of thinking. There is no time for scruples and most of the ninjas even don't seem to consider having them. :p
Yeah.. that's the main thing that appealed to me, the realism :)

And the drawing style is HOT! The girls are.... :woot
And some of the male characters are also :thumbs ...(Gennosuke.....:love (but I don't like his girlish eyelashes) and Hyoma....:))
Hyoma reminded me a little of Neji.

shoked

Reaction score

yeah , he looks like neiji ... would it be any oportunity to see this manag or anime rebirth.... because it is sad not having more...of this addiction...

Miso

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Gold Knight said:
Hyoma reminded me a little of Neji.
shoked said:
yeah , he looks like neiji...
But Neji definetly doesn't has Hyoma's sex appeal :p. Perhaps it's because Hyoma is older....

... would it be any oportunity to see this manag or anime rebirth.... because it is sad not having more...of this addiction...
I would root for that but
they're all dead. I mean...how can we continue? Only possiblities:
1. time-skip -> pre current Basilisk story
2. other characters (descendants perhaps?)

shoked

Reaction score

Miso said:
But Neji definetly doesn't has Hyoma's sex appeal :p. Perhaps it's because Hyoma is older....

I would root for that but
they're all dead. I mean...how can we continue? Only possiblities:
1. time-skip -> pre current Basilisk story
2. other characters (descendants perhaps?)
you are ritght but also
i dont think that they were the only ninjas around the world and they were some ninjas from hattori that i dont even know what their techniques or why they were in a higher level than them and also they were watching everything and almost not been seen by those clans so maybe....maybe ...they can add some more info...

at the end i think that they will not do it because it has ahppened before with animes that we like and would like to continue watching them but anyway lets hope...

other characters is a good idea as well.

by the way nice new avatar miso...

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
Reaction score
Country
Greece

You know GK and Miso, the girls in the manga, being so well drawn (and thus attractive), further proves how powerfull the sexual instict is in men and the womens' power over it.

The whole manga is one big love story (Oboro x Gennosuke), involving other love stories (Akeginu x Koshiro, Hotarubi x Yashamaru, Kagerou x Gennosuke) and how the ninja life and the ninja skills (Kagerou) got in the way... Shakespear would be happy, since in the end they all died :eyeroll

Miso, as a woman, how do you feel about women being so "perfect" in anime and manga? I know the world isn't filled with perfect women, that the women around me try so hard to be what they are not and that in the end, seemingly "perfect" women are facades, behind which you might not want to look... What do you think?
I'm asking because of the women in Basilisk having first and foremost dreamlike bodies...