Seinen - Basilisk by Yamada Fuutarou & Segawa Masaki (v05) | Page 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Basilisk by Yamada Fuutarou & Segawa Masaki (v05)

shoked

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Re: Basilisk Discussion Thread

i adont want to answer thatspoiler since it is or miso but
it is something that always have been around in mangas, animes and what they use in real life are tv programs with models and stuff like that which is not fair... i think that all girls are beatyfull in her own ways... too sad that humanity just involved their eyes... if everyyone get blinmd then eveyrhthing would be different

well, but the question was for miso so i want to heard it

Miso

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Anax said:
You know GK and Miso, the girls in the manga, being so well drawn (and thus attractive), further proves how powerfull the sexual instict is in men and the womens' power over it.

The whole manga is one big love story (Oboro x Gennosuke), involving other love stories (Akeginu x Koshiro, Hotarubi x Yashamaru, Kagerou x Gennosuke) and how the ninja life and the ninja skills (Kagerou) got in the way... Shakespear would be happy, since in the end they all died :eyeroll
lol...I like the Shakespear comment about that. :smile-big

Miso, as a woman, how do you feel about women being so "perfect" in anime and manga? I know the world isn't filled with perfect women, that the women around me try so hard to be what they are not and that in the end, seemingly "perfect" women are facades, behind which you might not want to look... What do you think?
I'm asking because of the women in Basilisk having first and foremost dreamlike bodies...
Hmm....actually I also like to see attractive women so it's kinda cool that the Basilisk ones are so sexy! :amuse
And I just don't compare the wonderfully drawn and perfect women in manga to the real world because manga is fiction and of course most of the characters are attractive. Even the boys mostly are. Example: Bishounen - it's an own subcategory of manga where the boys always look sexy and perfect...
But in general I think there's just the problem that not only manga shows us the image of beautiful women but also (and that counts "heavier" in my opinion) TV, commercials, models and so on (as shoked already pointed out).
The ideal of female beauty makes it difficult for many girls and women to accept their looks. :s I don't know any girl who doesn't compare herself to it, try to look pretty, pay attention to her weight etc.
Yeah... and sometimes because of this "false" ideal girls tend to make themselves to something which is some kind of "artifical" just because they want to fit in. So they try to be more like the ideal and negotiating their own personality, individuality and original looks.
I know some girls which are really pretty and slim but say that they're too fat in general or their waists are/their legs/their faces.... :blink
Well...but somehow this gets off-topic so I'll stop this.
And.... pretty anime girls rock (and of course they are not "real" in many ways)!

Snake1786

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Austria

A good one altough i hate mangas where the characters die one after another. But you know what :) the ending is really awesome and sad :s

chin sai

Reaction score

shoked said:
i adont want to answer thatspoiler since it is or miso but
it is something that always have been around in mangas, animes and what they use in real life are tv programs with models and stuff like that which is not fair... i think that all girls are beatyfull in her own ways... too sad that humanity just involved their eyes... if everyyone get blinmd then eveyrhthing would be different

well, but the question was for miso so i want to heard it
yeah they would use thier hands to see how hot you are

shoked

Reaction score

chin sai said:
yeah they would use thier hands to see how hot you are
LOL, good one using hands to see how hot you are ...LOL...i will give a try....

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Well, blind people do feel each other's faces, but I'm personally glad we have vision because we wouldn't be able to fully appreciate all the details of the world without sight.

But anyway, this is kinda getting off-topic.

shoked

Reaction score

yeah, maybe is getting of topics but just a question because i almost lost my memories of the serie... (i have been readying oone piece since chapter 1 without ress so) well my question is does anyone know the name of the author (easy to find) and if he will do any other project because if he does i would like to get into it because i like at least this kind of ninjas...

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Masaki Segawa, though he wasn't the original author ( it was based on a novel by Futaro Yamada. )

It looks like the only other title he did was Onikiri Jyuzo.

"After being sealed in a sword for 800 years, the master of all demons is released, and taking the body of a human to reek havoc on the world again. Jyuzo must now retrieve that body, which is that of his own brothers, and stop the demon's schemes."

To see some pages: http://mangarealm.com/page.php?id=127&PHPSESSID=92e2bd4d6c16dfefdc7aa8f79090daeb

AlbatorBis

Reaction score
Country
Yemen

Hey Shoked, Evil_Genius, our group, is actually trying to get one of the author project out, can you tranlate? If you are a translator willing to commit to such a project come to our forums (http://forums.mindwerks.net) and PM Eldo, he'll be more than happy to put you on the job!

Edit:oops sorry I just figured you were yourself busy looking for translator with your own group. Nevermind that, but if you're still willing to see some badass ninjas out we'll be more than happy to welcome you for freelance translations :amuse

aylw

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score

Man, Basilisk was pretty badass, in terms of fighting and
Boobies! :P

The plot was very fast the action brutal, and the visuals stunning, but I found the character development a bit weak. If they spent a bit more time on the personalities, I think it would have been excellent.

That said to answer Qs

Favourite Character: Saemon, the copy cat guy. He survived long enough to have quite a bit of character development. I found it amusing how, when he was pretending to be an Iga and talking to another Iga ninja, his made up stories would always talk about how great Saemon was. Most interesting character with what seemed like the most going on underneath his badass ninja fascade.

Fav female: Hotaru, the butterfly lady. Again, you get to see quite a bit of character development. She seemed like a strong, but caring individual, and wasn't over-sexual in her presentation.

Most Suprising Scene: Hotaru is killed by Saemon. TOTALLY unexpected. I thought for sure Saemon was a gonner, than *slash* and There goes Hotaru's arms. Man, that was both shocking and emotional. Especially, considering their previous encounter/history, it really set the depressing, inevetable tone of the series.

Favourite Scene: Well, the above scene IS my favourite scene, but that seems like kind of a cop out, so I'd say my second favourite scene, Jimushi's 1st encounter with Tenzen and co.

I'd also say my favourite image was Akeginu falling off the bridge, blood flowing from her chest wound. That sounds kind of morbid, but I think it just had the most poetic look - Everything is so beautiful in that scene, even the blood rushing from her wound, and yet it's a picture of a person who's dying/dead. The juxtaposition of beauty and brutal murder really made the image stick out in my mind.

So yeah, really liked a lot of the parts of the manga. - art, plot, twists, were all very good, but lack of character development is a huge strike against it - It could be a lot more emotionally impactful than it was. Plus, to tell the truth, I could totally do without the rape and excessive sexualised violence. Those are just my sensibilities, however.

-Aylw

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium

Gold Knight said:
Thanks Miso.  ^^

I'm definitely intending to watch the anime soon, as well... ah well, here's some questions for you guys:

Favorite Character?
Favorite point in story?  (spoiler tags)
Favorite battle? (spoiler tags)
Biggest surprise to you?  (spoiler tags)
Favorite character?
koshiro
his final fight , his love for oboro
and saemon
(in how many fights was he implicated ? i think he have the record. He also fall for a woman of the other clan in the end but he had to kill her)
Favorite point in story ?
tenzen who try to rape oboro , it was so intense
Favorite battle ?
gennosuke using for the first time his doujutsu

I was very disappointed by the end of Basilisk , the autor make a mistake with that ending

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Thanks for your thoughts aylw and zelllogan :)

aylw I agree with you, Saemon was awesome and I also think character development could have been done better. The flashback for example, really added to it, but not enough. I also agree on Most Surprising Scene. Whoa.

zelllogan - perhaps Basilisk would have been more popular if ...
Gennosuke and Oboro had stayed alive,
... but I knew about halfway through reading Basilisk that something like that was probably going to happen.

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium

Spoiler...
... but I knew about halfway through reading Basilisk that something like that was probably going to happen.
yeah you're right , in fact i was hoping for

a final battle royal with gennosuke killing everyone in the shogunate because he become mad after oboro death

pfffff it's hard for me to write in english :)

AlbatorBis

Reaction score
Country
Yemen

Gold Knight said:
Gennosuke and Oboro had stayed alive,
You know what? The end of Basilisk was actually outstanding. The great thing is that everybody saw that coming from the beginning as the worst outcome. And then over the course of the story the possibility narrows, narrows and you are like "No...no...he can't let that happen...not to these people...not to Oboro..." but all evidence points to it. And then comes the final scene , the final gesture, breathtaking. A strong contrast with the witty and violent, brutal battles. An obvious ninjesque Shakespeare, that doesn't want to be anything else.
Basilisk actually get you a real feel, unlike all mangas, of the uneluctability and the cruaulty of destiny, no matter who you're trying to be or what you're trying to do. A real picture of despair in short.
Meh I really liked Basilisk.

shoked

Reaction score

AlbatorBis said:
Hey Shoked, Evil_Genius, our group, is actually trying to get one of the author project out, can you tranlate? If you are a translator willing to commit to such a project come to our forums (http://forums.mindwerks.net) and PM Eldo, he'll be more than happy to put you on the job!

Edit:oops sorry I just figured you were yourself busy looking for translator with your own group. Nevermind that, but if you're still willing to see some badass ninjas out we'll be more than happy to welcome you for freelance translations :amuse
thansk for telling me that..i will be on standby for a while since the main site is going to be different or have a diferent layout. so i will consider your request since on the search of a tranlsator i could get in touch with a lot of them and have some good friends... most of them are busy with other translation so about the translations it might take some time i like basilisk...

AlbatorBis

Reaction score
Country
Yemen

Well take your time, it's not like we are in a hurry any more since we've been looking for translator for AGES. I'ld rather wait and have translators that are dedicated to the project once they're ready to do it.
Thanks for replying, it's nice to get feedback. You can come anytime (I will order a statue for you too, just in case), or send your friends that are eagers for real ninjas. We've been willing to get this out forever, but we lack translators, and we have bunch of editors (including me :s) in the starting blocks. As soon as we get scripts, this thing would be out in no time.
More ninjas for the world!!!

shinobi_nl

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

I dont know if anyone has posted this yet...but they've made a real-life-action movie of this manga. But they've changed the title. If anyone is interested...the title is "Shinobi". I'm sorry i dont have a link for dl of bt.

yam

Reaction score
Country
Australia

hey if you bassilik anime you can find it in redclouds-anime.com
athough they have it in rmvb

imintheradio

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia

Ah, I haven't read the manga, tho- I've been following the Anime :D. It really does, rock- You should check out the Anime GK it's amazing :D. That is... when you get your BB back :p.
yup, i ust follow the anime,and it's damn good!with the tecniques and all the fighting styles,wau!!brilliant!!but,it doesnt really like Naruto where the plot become complex,right?maybe because it is based on true story?but,i really enjoyed it...

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:spaz Basilisk was f**king incredible! I loved it! :)

Beautiful drawings, amazing action-scenes, very moving at times and overall great story imo! All in all it's a magnificent manga and it's been well put together by Fuutarou & Masaki!

Basilisk is defintely one to remember imo!!! :amuse