Seinen - Beshari Gurashi by MORITA Masanori | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Beshari Gurashi by MORITA Masanori

Yabe

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Another remarkable work of art that deserves more attention:

Beshari Gurashi
By: MORITA Masanori
Genre: Comedy, School Life, Shonen/Seinen
Serialized In: Weekly Shonen Jump (volume 1-3), Weekly Young Jump (volume 4- )
Summary and RTS

By the same mangaka as Rokudenashi Blues, Rookies and the author of Hello Baby (with Obata Takeshi as the artist).
Many thanks and kudos go to shirokuro for the translations of the first 2 chapters (as it is a real difficult serie to translate).

========================

To shortly summarize, the story is about a wanna be stand up comedian.

"Eh?
Urm?
Hmm...?"

And if that's the reactions you get from hearing this :p, I definitely suggest you go straight to read it as the artwork alone proofs it's worth the time giving a look. But for those who've read it, is the story actually as up-in-the-air as it might sound?
What are the things you like and dislike about it so far?
As it's a dangerous step picking up such a comedy serie, is this manga an advancement or a daunting mistake of Morita, from your point of view?

Let's share our thoughts on this serie here, and let's keep it to be further than asking for more trans/scans or annoucing releases, please! O0

Last edited:

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
I've only read the first chapter so I don't know how much opinion I can really give on this series yet, but imo, the story doesn't seem too up in the air. Morita's manga always seem to start off in a way that make you wonder where he is going with it, but its always great.

I love almost everything so far (but still, only chapter 1 :p), and the only thing I have really disliked is some of the comedy is retarded, but hey, its the story that really counts right?

Personally, I think this is a big advancement for Morita. He has mostly taken over done story ideas while putting his own twist on them. This time he takes up a story idea that very few people have done. Very brave imo.

BTW, according to PiyoHiko's website, there are about halfway done with the second chapter. So we should be seeing it in the near future. :tem

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Sadly, chapter 2 was the last translated chapter. I'd love to see it revived, I read the scripts for chapter 1 and 2, both were fantastic. Shame it has been so neglected. But considering none of Morita's manga are fully translated I'm hardly surprised.

barbapapa

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Morita is a fantastic mangaka. He needs a hell of a lot more love from the community.

Alan Smithee

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The series isn't funny... I really really like Morita. But, I don't get the jokes in this series, I think it'll probably still be a good series with interesting characters and a good story just not funny.

Laika

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Man, I am really amazed at how consistent his art is. I remember being a kid and seeing Blues in monthlies...

I actually really think this is a pretty funny series. The feel of it is so laid back when you compare it to the art. The art... it's really sort of dated and feels like it's stuck in the early 90s which totally gives it this nostalgic vibe. I get the feeling that it's like throwback without intentionally being throwback which adds to the charm of things. I sort of imagine Morita as a head in a jar from futurama, forever drawing these banchou type characters that look way too huge to be high school students. I don't think I'd find this as funny if it was being drawn by someone with a more modern style.

Last edited:

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
The series isn't funny... I really really like Morita. But, I don't get the jokes in this series, I think it'll probably still be a good series with interesting characters and a good story just not funny.
Yeah I agree that the jokes are often kinda stale and corny, but I this series is meant to focus on the characters attempts to become a real comedian and less about thw jokes he tells. Morita has always been good at situational comedy but clearly not a man who could have pulled off a gag series. Though I have to admit I have found some of the jokes pretty funny at times.

Mr. Arashi

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Chile
I think it's amazing. Morita is my favorite comedy mangaka and with thats face's lines, he's the only that makes me cry for laughing. and unfortunately a few knows him =/.

Kouri-chan

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Hey, sorry for reviving a super dead thread. I've been reading this series though and it's pretty great! It's got a realistic and well, earnest is the best word I can really use to describe the series. It shows the humour and joy from making people laugh but also the troubles and conflicts that come with the field, as well as revolving around the lives of the characters. It's definitely a LOT darker than ROOKIES. Still quite melodramatic, but what can you expect from Morita.. haha.. (also artgasm..)

Anyway, the whole point of this post is: would anyone be interested if I tried to translate it, even for a bit? (After exams, probably over the summer) This series just gets better as I keep reading, to the point where I think it's a shame if more people didn't get to read even volumes 4-5. Or 7... especially 7...

barbapapa

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I'm pretty sure there's a lot of people interested, just a question of finding a group that'll convert those translations into actual releases. ;) Maybe try Deadbeat-Scans? They're doing Rookies now, so I'm sure they're interested.

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
They are starting to get close to the end of Rookies too, only two and a half volumes left to scanlate. Illuminati, Deadbeats partners on Rookies, might also be interested.

Kouri-chan

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Hehe, I see :) Well, I'll contact them if i ever get this off the ground ~_~ I was just thinking of posting up TLs myself for individual fans of the series, and if the groups wanted to use them, they could... but we'll see I guess :) [That's why I was asking if there were actually people interested in reading this, not Editing this]

Sahil_240902

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Hehe, I see :) Well, I'll contact them if i ever get this off the ground ~_~ I was just thinking of posting up TLs myself for individual fans of the series, and if the groups wanted to use them, they could... but we'll see I guess :) [That's why I was asking if there were actually people interested in reading this, not Editing this]
Are you still interested in translating the chapters?