Favorites - Best aspect of Tower of God | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Favorites Best aspect of Tower of God

???

• The pace

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The humor

• The action

• The drama

• Total voters

Hwa Ryun

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
South Korea
What do you think is the strongest / best aspect that makes you like ToG?

Mine would be the amazing characters and great character development :)

Nast.J

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan
What i like the most is the fact that SIU doesn't focus on one character only. We all know Baam is the main character but that doesn't mean everything is focused on him. So for us who might not like the main character, it's nice to see that other characters are almost as developped as the main character just like Koon, Wangnan, Anak etc..

I also enjoy the tests, they're always different and ingenious. SIU always manages to surprise us with the tests, just when i thought nothing would be better than the ''Crown'' test or the ''Door'' test, he proved us wrong with the ''One shot opportunity'' test. I mean this guy is brilliant, Tower of god isn't just about the action it's also very intellectual.

Therefore, i wouldn't be able to choose between the ''plot'' (for the originality of the tests) or the ''character development'' but if i had to i would choose Character development.

Great thread idea! :super

ukimix

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
It would be nice to make possible multiple choice. I would say world-building: I do like the complexity of ToG world and also the fact that it seems to be a metaphor in many respects of our everyday human life.

Drama: I do really like Baam's drama: ToG seems to be in many respect a tragedy about love and loveing feelings. It has it all: love, betrayal, pain, the search for a meaning for life, friendship, solidarity, selfishness, ... pretty nice on this respect.

Character management/development. I think Rachel is the most intriguing character I have read about in a while. She deserves the award for the best bitch ever. She has intense feelings and wishes, but she is a crazy bitch, and in some respects she seems to have the mind of a psychopath... I really want to know all the details about her story.

To me, Rachel is the best female character. But this manga has much more to give in terms of female characters. Androssi is really great: a selfish, smug and powerful character who teach that you have to get dates instead of love, but who in her heart is looking for love... It's impossible not to be interested on her. And now Emile; well she has a female name, and she is trying to love the traveller, who is a guy, so I think she should be a female software (... see what this story makes me say... argggggg!). Anyway what is happening with her and the traveller, I mean, love between a human and a software, well... that deserves to be watched for sure.

Possibly the only thing I would like to be better is the art. SIU's drawing sometimes is very simplistic, and I confess some times I have thought he doesn't know much of perspective. But now I'm used to it.

Pretty nice manhwa; currently one of my favourites, being the other one One Piece.

Last edited:

Spectrum

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I think TOG is the best manga/manhwa/webtoon ongoing now

The plot is extremely solid, the character development is solid and consistant. Though Baam is the main character, SIU put all the characters in the spotlight at least one time, all the characters have a history before them.

The art is very peculiar, i didn't like in the begining, but today i can't imagine TOG with other art style.

The drama and the action are very consistent too. The way Baam suffer without the company of his friends, with Rachel's betrayal, FUG's opression...

apellon

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
the best title going on right now ... so its hard to pick only one aspect .. but i love the story plot/ world / charchter dev and of course the action and art.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
"Character management/development" for me.

Characters like Baam, Androssi, Anak, and others are ToG's greatest strength in my eyes. When I think to my favorite moments in ToG they all come down to those characters letting there diverse natures shine. Like when Androssi betrays all the other fisherman and explains to Baam why she did it. The way that was handled and the smart dialogue used to explain it is the kind of thing that keeps me coming back to read ToG.

I like the world building too but it takes a backseat to the characters stuff for me.

As for the plot. I'm kinda unimpressed by it so far in all honesty. Kinda seems like so far it's been average fare. In other words thought I think the world and characters are special the actual story itself has leaned heavily on those aspects rather than made them "better".

Last edited:

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I know this is an old thread, but here i go:

It is hard to say because i see a very significant split in the style SIU tells his story between the story until the workshop battle and afterwards.

There are different think i like or dislike about those two parts each. So, i will not include things i liked in the first part which are not done in the second part anymore.
Since it seems like the style of the beginning of ToG won't come back, i will focus on the time after the workshop, including the workshop.

What I like is that SIU kind of deconstructs the 'hidden power hero' trope.
Baam has one of the biggest potentials if not the biggest potential in the tower, but he still keeps on screwing up and would not really get anywhere without his friends. Many people find that frustrating, but i like it. He is given a great gift, but, mentally, he still has to earn it the hard way.
It is never presented at the easy choice to keep on being morally 'good' like Baam is.
In a lot of manga, i feel like the choice is a lie: There is some evil guy everyone obeys and then you punch him because you trained enough, end of the story, everything is fine because you 'stood up to him'.
Baam constantly tries to stand up against things he does not deem right, but there are things he cannot change, no matter how powerful he is. Without Koon to do the cunning for him, he would be in deep trouble.
So, yeah, in most manga i kinda hate the maincharacter due to his accomplishments always feeling constructed, but i like Baam.
(I have to admit tho that this is also true in the first aprt of ToG)

I also have to generally say that SIU is a very imaginative guy. The worldbuilding is great. And we didnt even touch a lot of the world. As far as i know, ToG is part of a bigger universe called Taize Ulzer stories (if SIU didnt change that after the popularity ToG got, that is^^), and i really would dig many more stories being told about tha tuniverse (with the exis and all).
His imagination is sometimes a double edged sword: For example, oftentimes, the rules in the games are not really that important for what will happen in the game (when it ends up being a one on one fight anyway) but kind of complicated.
But when he gets it right and the rules really have an effect on what happens, he is at the top of his game and i love it.
Much like oda has an 'not just an island' approach when he thinks of a new place, SIU puts effort in any new areal he draws, even if it is just a place the group stays without a lot of importance. That's serious effort.

Reactions: syx

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
For me it's just how gigantic the TOG world is. Not only because the weekly chapters are insane but also because of the length the author has gone to reveal more of the tower than the chapters show. I mean, look at how many characters SIU has elaborated on that have not even appeared in the story.

Reactions: syx

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I like the sheer depth and lengths SIU is willing to go to flesh out this universe and its characters. The art style is fantastic, the pace is good, and the fights are just something else.
I like the good balance of different personalities and the potential for not just the MC but for all characters to move "up"