Discussion - Best Graphic Novels/One-shots | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Best Graphic Novels/One-shots

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
What do you guys think are some noteworthy stories? For me, i would have to say the Killing Joke, Kingdom Come, Superman: Red Son, and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns are some really good ones. (i cant think of that many self-contained stories in marvel that i have really liked. Some what-if stuff was good, but i dont know). [br]Posted on: February 09, 2007, 04:18:49 PM_________________________________________________anyone?

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Well, for me it's Pride of Baghdad, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Marvels and of course any Green Lantern graphic novels. :D

manu

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Maus and there was this one Rwanda graphic novel... strong story but hard to remember name.

Anyways these were both Graphic novels about genocide and were both powerful.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Best Graphic Novels, huhn.

Loved Kingdom Come. Batman: Year One, as well. But my fave graphic novels will probably always be the early Elfquest graphic novels and Sandman.

Maus was pretty intense and very well done.

As far as one shots go I guess I'd have to go with Killing Joke, but just because I haven't really seen many "one shots" in American comics.

Siru

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Killing Joke is definately one of the greatest titles out there and anyone that hasn't read it MUST read it.

Batman Long Halloween and Batman Dark Victory are my favorite graphic novels.

psychophant

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Australia
V for Vendetta is brilliant, even better than film, however to me nothing beats the great tale of Preacher!
Also quite enjoy League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, absolutely nothing like the film.

zindryr

誰も知らない
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Watchmen. That's it for me really. I have yet to delve into American comics that much, but I don't think I'll find any better than Watchmen.

The Walking Dead, however, does get an honorable mention.

mrcongojack

Reaction score
Country
United States
I haven't read many graphic novels, but I thought the Space Ghost graphic novel from DC by Joe Kelly and Ariel Olivetti was pretty good.

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Well, it's a "classic" characters, and the art is awesome. But you should read more, now! Try Neil Gaiman's work or Alan Moore's for mindblowing stories. :D

Dhomochevsky

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pretty much anything by Frank Miller is a good read. "The Dark Knight Returns" and the "Sin City" series are my favorites. The "Sin City" movie actually did a fairly decent job of sticking to the comics.

Try Neil Gaiman's work or Alan Moore's for mindblowing stories. :D
I justed started reading "Sandman" but what else has Gaiman wrote?

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

Dhomochevsky

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the links!

I own "Batman: The Killing Joke" by Moore. It is well written and goes fairly indepth about the character of the Joker. I'll have to look through my comic collection and see what else I can dig up.

jim mayniam

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
great recs, ya'll...i'll leave out what's already been mentioned so as not to beat a dead horse, but i will give a hearty second rec of preacher by garth ennis and steve dillon...

my tastes can sometimes lean towards more esoteric stuff than i've seen here but anyway...here goes.

1. the transmetropolitan sequence by warren ellis- brilliant social commentary set in a futuristic environment known as "the city"...follow the exploits of gonzo journalist spider jerusalem as he covers presedential elections and more..."the year of the bastard" is extremely pertinent as we enter elections in U.S.

2. earth2 by grant morrison and frank quitely (quite frankly...get it? ;) )- a stand alone tale of the justice league as they battle their earth 2 counterparts, the crime syndicate of amerika...this story is brilliant.

3. the authority sequence by ellis, quitely, mark millar and bryan hitch- superheroes for adults and much more realistic, IMO. these guys take no prisoners and have fun doing it.

4. the Y: the last man sequence by brian vaughan and pia guerra (mostly)- what would happen if every male human being on earth were to drop dead at once? insanity ensues.

5. the planetary sequence by ellis and john cassaday- science fiction at its heart, planetary follows the history of the world told through the eyes of superpowered archaeologists.

you could do much worse than begin here and i could go on all day...so, there ya go :)

Last edited:

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I'm reading Y: The Last Man and it's proving to be a very good read.

yoniekai

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
i consider the sandman by neil gaiman one of the most artistic literary masterpieces this century has. you've gotta read it. along with frank miller's. spawn is not so bad too

Paper

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
1. Watchmen
2. Sandman
3. Batman: The Killing Joke
4. Johnny the homicidal maniac

In that order.

I just finished reading Fables 75...i want moar now! :scry MOARRRR!!! :XD

Last edited:

Lohnt

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Ok, so I started reading Sub-Mariner The Depths, and at the first issue I was like "meh.."

But now the second issue is out, and I literally got chills up my spine when I finished it. Story is awesome kind of thriller-esque, kind of noir you can't really tell what's fantasy and what's reality, all we know is that Marvel wrote it and Namor is one of their characters.

However in this book, all those rules are thrown out the window, as we peak into a very strange reality that seems to not have superheroes. It's actually pretty mystifying by the second issue, but I will admit the first didn't really draw me in that much; the second did win me over.

Also if you want to check out the completed product or wait to see how others review the entire plot, maybe wait until more issues are out, but for a start it is great (Although Marvel Events tend to have awesome starts, and crappy endings.. except for Namor's last war with Shield and Silent War)

tjkubo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good English-Language Graphic Novels?

Do you know of any good graphic novels in English? I am looking for something similar to seinen manga, i.e. mature themes, good plot and character development. Great artwork wouldn't hurt too. And nothing about superheroes, please.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Just finished Habibi by Craig Thomson. It's massive (665 pages) but once again a remarkable work. Blankets was already very good, this one has definitively put him in the comic author I will follow.