Final Voting Round - Best Mechanics | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Final Voting Round Best Mechanics

Best Mechanics

• Game 93 - BnHA: The Burning Building

• Game 94 - Magi: The Crests of Magic

• Game 95 - Saint Seiya: Era of the Zodiac

• Game 96 - Civilization XCVI

• Game 97 - Omoneko: Answer Arc

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vandred

Plan Deviser
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind

This thread's purpose is to decide what are the best mechanics in Mafia games. The mechanics come as extra flavor to the game, allowing their creators to express their uniqueness and creativity, when they look to provide different experiences. This is the place to acknowledge the most memorable and interesting ones.

Voting Round Final
  • Time: 5 days -> until December 8th
  • Members can only vote for one name out of the remaining nominees.
  • In case of a tie for most votes, all tied nominees will be considered winners.
  • Remember that we are focusing on players and games from the past year (from Game 87 - Baccano! and onward).

Game 95 - Saint Seiya: Era of the Zodiac [8]
Game 96 - Civilization XCVI [6]
Game 93 - BnHA: The Burning Building [5]
Game 94 - Magi: The Crests of Magic [5]
Game 97 - Omoneko: Answer Arc [5]

Game 89 - OMO Weekly [3]
Game 91 - Food Wars - Moon Banquet [3]
Game 87 - Baccano! [2]
Game 92 - Kingdom Rush [2]
Game 88 - Pokémon Mystery Dungeon [1]
Game 87 - Baccano!
Game 88 - Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
Game 89 - OMO Weekly
Game 91 - Food Wars - Moon Banquet
Game 92 - Kingdom Rush
Game 93 - BnHA: The Burning Building
Game 94 - Magi: The Crests of Magic
Game 95 - Saint Seiya: Era of the Zodiac
Game 96 - Civilization XCVI
Game 97 - Omoneko: Answer Arc

Remember that this event is for fun purposes. As always, keep the tone friendly and respectful.

To view the rules and general info about the Awards, click [HERE].

Last edited:

GrySun

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Japan
This year the MG mechanics went through a "renaissance" of sorts, mainly due to a lot of them affecting the general "game-state" to some extent, as well as giving power to dead players in interesting ways. I believe this type of mechanics has the highest potential to be really fun and impactful while still preserving the core of what makes a mafia game. However they are also very easy to do wrong imo, as you must account for a couple of possibilities balance-wise.

That said, this year most memorable, significant and fun for me were:

MG91 - Food Wars - had a pretty interesting and unique mechanic. Though to perfect it, it would need a lot more tinkering and could be hard, but I remember it fondly and charming.
"No I have 🥛 you liar mafia! The 🍖 is you!"

MG94 - Magi - The whole Magi and Goi shenanigans were pretty fun and changed a lot in how people play despite being a simple mechanic. Mainly due to Gois being roleless and thus making the whole hinting+claiming roles gameplay less reliable, and thus giving good covers to mafia to claim. The Metal Vessels were both broken and useless depending on the case, and I thought it very ironic how people grasping for the Metal Vessel power all quickly died due to other mafia kills.

MG96 - Civ - I don't remember much about the Civics, I'm sure those were interesting too, but my nom here is due to the historic eras. The neat restrictions in targetting with the 2 continents gives a lot of extra info for the players to hunt mafias with and helps get things rolling.

Though many other games had great systems and some I also liked were already nominated.

Generally I think the secret behind a great mechanic is letting people play their usual MG but with a twist that they have to adjust their thinking to. Mechanics that involve dead players are still a bit hit-or-miss, but gamestates are really fun if done well and I want more of that.

Vandred

Plan Deviser
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
I did not dive deeply into how the mechanics worked in the games I didn't join, but a lot of them looked pretty fun, especially Magi, Saint Seiya and Civ.

Despite everything, the mechanics in Omoneko made it into my personal top-loved ones. BnHA was also interesting and nice to play. So I'm supporting all of the above and nominating Baccano! which I think had a lot of potential but we kind of ruined it :sweatdrop

Copy Panda

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
China
We had a bunch of interesting mechanics, so I'll support kingdom rush (which probably must have had excessive amounts of IQ poured in + probably high maintenance to run) and our own omoneko and bnha which took 3 weeks of brainstorming and were more difficult to settle on than some papers I've written 🙂

SonOfDaws

Reaction score
Country
Tartaros
Magi is me, Asa, and Magi's baby, but I didn't play it myself and it was on the more complex side.

On the other hand, I love the civics progression system and overall base-level simplicity, but I wasn't quite as keen on the map part or able to make best use of the civics, in no small part due to my own plays, but still.

Ideally, I can eventually host a game with Civ-like progression, heavily lore-based, and with a post-death mechanic (maybe like Magi but more social like Omo-neko)

So, I think this one is a toss up between my child and Civilization

Status
Not open for further replies.