Discussion - Biology in Nanatsu no Taizai | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Biology in Nanatsu no Taizai

Gallon

Artichoke
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Hooooola.

So yeah, discuss anything associated with biological processes here, i.e. the demons' black marks, the fairies' smell, reproduction, and many, many other things!

Don't forget to keep it civil and clean! :)

Gallon

Artichoke
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Actually, and I apologize in advance if this is getting out of hand, since Indra requires you to crush almost all of your hearts, maybe the darkness/mark is built inside those and destroying it like that (as opposed to "just" stabbing a heart) results in an excessive amount of darkness flooding the body and taking control of shit like the vegetative neural system (that what it's called in English? Hope you guys get what I'm talking about lol), making the demons lose themselves and becoming a raging mass of bloodlust that basically attacks anything that moves.
I guess it's a bit hard to explain it logically, since they were basically like "ACCEPT THESE HEARTS AS A SACRIFICE, O DARKNESS!", but we can try. xD
As we know, at least a portion of the darkness circulates in the demons' blood. Once the six hearts are destroyed, the remaining one likely takes all responsibility and acts like "OH NO, I CAN'T PUMP ENOUGH BLOOD! GO, GO, WORK MORE!", and as a result, it starts pumping like crazy, leading to some other organs (darkrenal glands, heh) likely acting the same way, just like when a starving person's liver swells up immensely. As a result of this overworking, an enormous amount of darkness is released, and even the central nervous system is affected by it, leading to an uncontrollable behavior.
At one point, the body can't handle the change anymore and just gives up, leading to death.

Of course, this process has to be triggered by the brain, as it only occurs intentionally. There could be a hormone similar to adrenalin or whatever which leads to that higher-paced working and is somehow willingly. Therefore, in case the six hearts are destroyed without the owner's intention, nothing happens.

This is a manga, though, so it's probably not accurate at all. LOL
But still, this is what this thread is about, so we can speculate all we want.

Last edited:

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
like Diane and King having children. :kappa
This alone justifies the creation of this topic, but we'll leave my fanfictions theories for another day.

As for the power of darkness, what if it's some sort of parasitic organism that thrives within demons? Given what we've seen in the series, the argument could be made that we have enough evidence to say that it has a mind of it's own. Meliodas going wild earlier in the series could point to it. Reactors growing those plant things within their bodies after imbibing demonic blood. Ten Commandments not using their mark as Melidoas does to gain power, instead relying on their own physical abilities and just using the power of darkness to heal themselves. And, of course, the Indura form.

It's possible that demons "evolved" extra hearts to house the parasites easier, otherwise they might've exploded like Reactors or have their bodies taken over by them. The Indura Contract is more allowing them to fully run wild rather than just summoning them. Extra hearts could just filter the power, but with one single heart, the parasite is now allowed to concentrate it's influence.

Just some ramblings from my bored mind on a Sunday.

Gallon

Artichoke
Reaction score
Country
Joker
This alone justifies the creation of this topic, but we'll leave my fanfictions theories for another day.

As for the power of darkness, what if it's some sort of parasitic organism that thrives within demons? Given what we've seen in the series, the argument could be made that we have enough evidence to say that it has a mind of it's own. Meliodas going wild earlier in the series could point to it. Reactors growing those plant things within their bodies after imbibing demonic blood. Ten Commandments not using their mark as Melidoas does to gain power, instead relying on their own physical abilities and just using the power of darkness to heal themselves. And, of course, the Indura form.

It's possible that demons "evolved" extra hearts to house the parasites easier, otherwise they might've exploded like Reactors or have their bodies taken over by them. The Indura Contract is more allowing them to fully run wild rather than just summoning them. Extra hearts could just filter the power, but with one single heart, the parasite is now allowed to concentrate it's influence.

Just some ramblings from my bored mind on a Sunday.
Yup, thought of it. It definitely may be be something of the sort, but I don't know how "alive" it really is. And the thing is that the rampage can somewhat be willingly tapped into, somehow.
Additionally, having six of your hearts destroyed does not lead to the parasite's taking over for whatever reason, and that's a pretty big argument breaker to basically every biological standpoint, hence it's hard to explain it logically; it might just be related to the "soul."

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yup, thought of it. It definitely may be be something of the sort, but I don't know how "alive" it really is. And the thing is that the rampage can somewhat be willingly tapped into, somehow.
Additionally, having six of your hearts destroyed does not lead to the parasite's taking over for whatever reason, and that's a pretty big argument breaker to basically every biological standpoint, hence it's hard to explain it logically; it might just be related to the "soul."
If you are referring to Mel's death, I'm thinking Estarossa's swords had some qualities within them to prevent them from going wild. They did appear to be different than the one he used against Escanor when they fought. They looked like they were made of power of darkness themselves.

Gallon

Artichoke
Reaction score
Country
Joker
If you are referring to Mel's death, I'm thinking Estarossa's swords had some qualities within them to prevent them from going wild. They did appear to be different than the one he used against Escanor when they fought. They looked like they were made of power of darkness themselves.
Not specifically, just speaking in general. Monspiet and Derrierie (probably) have one remaining heart as of currently, and they seem to have no difficulties maintaining their sane state.

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Not specifically, just speaking in general. Monspiet and Derrierie (probably) have one remaining heart as of currently, and they seem to have no difficulties maintaining their sane state.
Ah, but are we sure they weren't healed and had their hearts returned to normal? Elizabeth completely removed the power of darkness from them in the past, but someone had to return it before they were sealed. It's possible they got their hearts healed as well if that's the case.

Gallon

Artichoke
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Ah, but are we sure they weren't healed and had their hearts returned to normal? Elizabeth completely removed the power of darkness from them in the past, but someone had to return it before they were sealed. It's possible they got their hearts healed as well if that's the case.
That's why I added the "probably." We're not sure yet, but a few were assuming it's the case judging by how Derrierie's speech seems to be kind of impaired, but it may have always been like that, who knows.

Kay3795

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
What about the biology of the Goddess? It's very similar to the Demon clan as I see it.

Demons have POD, Goddess have POL. Both have been proven to work on other species, and both can be shaped to anything at will. Both clans have skills and abilities that can be learned.

Demons have a power-up state, as do the Goddess. There are different intensities to each stages of power for both. For example, Meliodas when from 3k to 4k to 10k just by powering-up, and as he did, darkness enveloped his body. Elizabeth went from this
to this
to this

The more Elizabeth powered-up, the more her eyes became larger until she too was enveloped by light.

I can see highest members of the Goddess revealing an Indura-like form as well in the future.

Rigval

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
It makes you wonder if the demon clan and goddess clan were originally the same species but split apart due to the symbolic similarity of their powers.

Hey look Dolor and Gloxinia used the demon clan's darkness to fly too!

Last edited:

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
I think the Giant clan should have had 7 hearts instead of the Demon Clan.

A living being beings normally needs more hearts if their bodies are large,so that more hearts transfers more bloods to the body properly.

Giants are much larger than 10C so it would have been better if they had 7 hearts instead of the Demon Clan.

overlordpringerx

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
I think the Giant clan should have had 7 hearts instead of the Demon Clan.

A living being beings normally needs more hearts if their bodies are large,so that more hearts transfers more bloods to the body properly.

Giants are much larger than 10C so it would have been better if they had 7 hearts instead of the Demon Clan.
As far as I know the only animals with more than one heart are invertebrates

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
As far as I know the only animals with more than one heart are invertebrates
My knowledge in Biology is limited but i read Squids have more than one hearts.

Just imagine Meliodas and Zeldris is a Squid :teehee

overlordpringerx

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
My knowledge in Biology is limited but i read Squids have more than one hearts.

Just imagine Meliodas and Zeldris is a Squid :teehee
Squids are invertebrates. And TBH, Meliodas is so rapey, giving him tentacles wouldn't really make a difference

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
Squids are invertebrates. And TBH, Meliodas is so rapey, giving him tentacles wouldn't really make a difference
I know Squids are invertebrates.But as the Giants have large,we could have seen them more hearts for blood circulation even better.

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I wasn't sure if I wanted this to go into the Ten Commandments thread or this thread, so I'll just go with this one.

Crack theory time which has no real basis, Dolor is the result of a marriage between a giant and a fairy. Nakaba mentioned that this union would be brought up in the series at some point, so I thought what if it was brought up sooner rather than later? This then led to a theory that Merlin's birthplace, if she is a hybrid, was not just for demons and goddesses, but for all mixtures of hybrids, who have gained unique and powerful abilities due to their dual heritage.

Dolor's eye acts in a similar way to the fairies ability to read hearts, but on a seemingly more accurate level. His four arms could be his version of wings, which he doesn't have, but still acts as an extension of his powers. And rather than being connected to the fairy forest, his giants heritage gave him a connection to the earth, which could explain his stature and skin, the power within the earth gave him a stronger body than the average giant. This could potentially mean that there could be a "mixed" fairy that has unique abilities and traits due to the giant half, although they would mostly resemble a fairy.

Crazy ass hell, I know, but that's what you get when you think about manga series in a half awakened state.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
I wasn't sure if I wanted this to go into the Ten Commandments thread or this thread, so I'll just go with this one.

Crack theory time which has no real basis, Dolor is the result of a marriage between a giant and a fairy. Nakaba mentioned that this union would be brought up in the series at some point, so I thought what if it was brought up sooner rather than later? This then led to a theory that Merlin's birthplace, if she is a hybrid, was not just for demons and goddesses, but for all mixtures of hybrids, who have gained unique and powerful abilities due to their dual heritage.

Dolor's eye acts in a similar way to the fairies ability to read hearts, but on a seemingly more accurate level. His four arms could be his version of wings, which he doesn't have, but still acts as an extension of his powers. And rather than being connected to the fairy forest, his giants heritage gave him a connection to the earth, which could explain his stature and skin, the power within the earth gave him a stronger body than the average giant. This could potentially mean that there could be a "mixed" fairy that has unique abilities and traits due to the giant half, although they would mostly resemble a fairy.

Crazy ass hell, I know, but that's what you get when you think about manga series in a half awakened state.
Well Zeldris did call Dolor an "abnormal" completely different from other Giants because of his colour so it may be possible.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

I would find it particularly weird if the union between a giant and a fairy would produce a giant over twice the size of other giants, blue skin and four arms. I mean, that is literally none of the things which fairies have going on. That is like a giant breeding with a human and the child getting horns and claws.

Wouldn't it be weird if merlin was a hybrid of all races, two of which have wings, and yet she lacks even tiny wings? And is human sized even though giants are kinda huge. And she also seems to lack all of the distinct abilities other races have.

I am not so sure that dolor's eyes have been shown to work similarly to fairies heart reading ability. The abilities fairies have seem to work like mind reading in the more extreme cases. In turn dolor seems to have a form of clairvoyance... It seems fairly distinct overall.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
For now I will believe that Dolor is just some kind of superhuman among Giants.

Last chapter with Meliodas saying that King could join the adult club makes me think that his family has a problem of growth delay. It took him this long for him to grow wings and that was thanks to Gloxinia's training. Still no news of Elaine but she was not very different. It also made me think about a question where a fan asked if wings were the only things King had not developed, I don't remember the exact answer but it implied it was not only wings. Does it mean that you can't develop other sexual characteristics as long as you don't have wings when you are a Fairy?

Fairy with no wings= Kid->Wings sprouting= Puberty and adolescence->Final size->= Adult.

Does it mean that King's attraction to Diane(who qualified as a kid for a Gian) and their relationship, t when they first met was similar to puppy love? Does it mean that Elaine still qualifies as a kid and that Ban's relationship with her is more questionable than King and Diane's from back then?

Am I overthinking? :?bunny

HereNThere

Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't remember the exact answer but it implied it was not only wings. Does it mean that you can't develop other sexual characteristics as long as you don't have wings when you are a Fairy?
Nakaba just answered that it wasn't something that the person shouldn't have asked.

I think, despite the lack of wings, we can more or less consider King and Elaine as adults, at least, by the standards of the human world. The extra seems to imply that Elaine was talking about power anyway, rather than age. That being said, King, Ban, and, most obviously, Mel, can be accused of robbing the cradle.

Ban is the least worst off. It's only Elaine's appearance that gives off the underage vibe. She might not be seen as a full adult in the Fairy World, but given that fact that her and her brother's roles in the forest, we can assume that they were seen as adults there as well.

King is the second worst off. Diane was over 18, but she clearly resembled an 8 to 10 year old.

Mel called an infant his woman and proceeded to routinely molest her when they met up years later. That's all I gotta say about that.