Seinen - Blade of the Immortal by Samura Hiroaki | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Blade of the Immortal by Samura Hiroaki

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
[td] [/td]
Blade of the Immortal
By: Samura Hiroaki
Genre: Samurai
Serialized In: Afternoon
Mangaupdates

If you haven't read this one...

... you absolutely must.

It's easily the best manga I have read so far.

"Blade of the Immortal follows the deeds of Manji, a skilled warrior who has a decisive advantage: no wound can kill him. In the past his criminal actions led to the death of 100 other samurai (including his sister's husband). He becomes immortal at the hand of a seemingly ageless nun named Yaobikuni, and is compelled by the death of his sister to accept the quest that will end his agelessness. He has vowed to make amends by killing 1000 evil men, and until he does Manji will be kept alive by Kessen-chu ('sacred bloodworms'), remarkable creatures that allow him to survive nearly any injury and reattach severed limbs even after hours of separation.

Manji crossed paths with a young girl named Asano Rin and has promised to help her avenge her parents, who were killed by a cadre of master swordsmen led by Anotsu Kagehisa. Anotsu killed Rin's father and his entire dojo, making them a family of outcasts. Anotsu's quest is to gather other outcasts and form an extremely powerful new dojo, the Itto-ryu (a school teaching any technique that wins, no matter how exotic or underhanded), and has started taking over and destroying other dojos.

In addition, another group called itself the Mugai-ryu; has materialized, in opposition to the Itto-ryu. Its true leadership and motives are a mystery, but its methods (any tactics that leads to victory) resemble those of the Itto-ryu. - Wikipedia"

In addition to all that, there's one character that if you're a Naruto fan, you'll definitely like him. Magatsu Taito. He looks like a cross between Kakashi and Zabuza - you'll know it's him when you see him.

In any case, if it sounds good, you're in for a treat. Just a warning here, though, as with Basilisk, there is some graphic content - violence, and some of the more horrible rape scenes I've seen in any media. There are a lot of flying limbs - hands, arms, feet, heads. But the amazing thing is the art is done so masterfully, it's almost so beautifully done that you aren't as disgusted as you could have been in, say, watching a movie. The artist is so skilled that he makes each panel take on a life of its own - all the characters' expressions, their bodies, even their hand gestures - you'll want to re-read this one even after you catch up to the latest chapter.

Anyway, it's an ongoing. It's up to 15 volumes in America, but in Japan it's up to 18 volumes. It's not over. There are usually a volume done every year, so I don't know how long it will be before Blade of the Immortal is done. I'm excited though - there seems to be an end in sight, and I can't wait to see how this story ends.

So far as I have determined, the only way to read this is through mIRC at #lurk. The first fourteen volumes are available for downloading there, the fifteen volume is in individual chapter downloads. The first volume contains three chapters that introduces the characters, but the second volume is when the story really gets going (also when you meet Magatsu Taito.)

EDIT:

Thanks to Ulquiorra, we have another source where you can read BotI online:

http://groups.msn.com/ATU-BOTI/bladeoftheimmortalmanga.msnw

Also, pokecheck pointed out that we can also get summaries of what's going on in the Japanese chapters from this site.

http://www.z-builder.com/manga/mugen/summaries.html

Also, another thing - this is the English version that's availabe at lurk, so if you read it, you'll have to read it left-to-right in the standard English reading method. It was originally done right-to-left like any other Japanese manga, but Blade of the Immortal was one of the first mangas published in America, so they used the copy and paste method to re-arrange the panels. They did a damn good job though - after a while (before I found out it wasn't the case) I thought this artist originally did this manga that way for an American publishing company. As it turned out, though, nope.

Anyway, if you like Blade of the Immortal, this is the place to talk about it. Don't forget, if you want to discuss any details in the story, be sure to use spoiler tags.

Last edited by a moderator:

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Re: Blade of the Immortal Discussion Thread

Do you have any links to download this? :eyeroll

Sounds interesting...

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Like I said, it's unfortunately only available at #lurk as far as I know (on mIRC).

However, I'll upload the first four chapters to Rapidshare so you can give it a try thru direct download. (1st 3 chapters are the entire 1st volume, 4th chapter is the beginning of the 2nd volume.) That should be enough for you to know if you'll want to try any more.

1st Volume, Chapter One - Criminal: http://rapidshare.de/files/14800569/BotI_-_v01_-_c01_-_Criminal.zip.html
1st Volume, Chapter Two - Conquest: http://rapidshare.de/files/14801205/BotI_-_v01_-_c02_-_Conquest.zip.html
1st Volume, Chapter Three - Genius: http://rapidshare.de/files/14801670/BotI_-_v01_-_c03_-_Genius.zip.html

2nd Volume, Chapter One - Fanatic: http://rapidshare.de/files/14801944/BotI_v02_c01_-_Fanatic.zip.html

After that will be the first storyarc, "Cry of the Worm," that runs three chapters. It's quite good.

EDIT: These links are down right now due to inactivity. >.<

chin sai

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score

please post all links to this manga

EDIT by Gold Knight:

I'm sorry, but I simply don't have the time to upload the rest of the 95 chapters that I have to Rapidshare. If you want to download them, you'll have to use mIRC and go to lurk to get them ( in Mirrors packlist ).

Miso

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany

GK, you mostly pick mangas I also like! :occa

Blade of the Immortal is surely great! It's a wonderful samurai manga with a good, interesting and mysterious story as well as good artwork and nice fights!

(PS: Check out Vagabond - it's also a good samurai manga, perhaps even better than Blade...)

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

Well, i'm downloading that first few chapters you uploaded, i'll see if i want to continue afterwards :D ( i have some sort of irc-phobia, only use it when necissary... )

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

Whoo, thanks rykarreolacr! Have you read it? If so, did you like it?

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Actually, lurk has at least six more chapters than that Mangatraders site apparently has, but that's still a nice site if all the files come through. Thanks, rykar. :)

rykarreolacr

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Costa Rica

Khaludh said:
Whoo, thanks rykarreolacr! Have you read it? If so, did you like it?
No, I haven't read it yet... but I will soon cause it looks good!!!

Gold Knight said:
Actually, lurk has at least six more chapters than that Mangatraders site apparently has, but that's still a nice site if all the files come through. Thanks, rykar. :)
Yeah, at mangatraders they're quite slow, but at least it's direct download, wich is a relief for people that don't know how to use IRC. :smile-big

EDIT: OMFG!!!!!! Post number 100!!!!! I'm a full member!!!!!!!!! :occa

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Congrats, rykar, you're well deserving of the title! ;D

Be sure to let us know what you think of it. :) I'm still waiting for kadoman to come around - he's the one who recommended it to me in the first place!

kadoman

Itachi's Hat Maker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hey, nice little speel you gave the manga there Gold Knight! It's a darn good feeling when you discover a new brilliant manga. Remember when you first discovered Naruto? Heh...

I've gone out and bought my copy of vol 15 Trickster, haven't read it yet - tonight's mission!

I'm glad you mentioned Magastu - he's awesome. This is one of those mangas, where you have a different favourite character each volume...they're that good. I can never decide who I like the most. But Magatsu is up there in my top 3. Manji took a while to grow on me, now I think he's great. Anotsu is developing very nicely, and has surprised me along the way.

Rin, is what I wish Sakura were more like. Although she's very frightened most of the time, she's got a backbone and she is extremely determined. In fact, Rin reminds me a little of a much more sub-dued Naruto...

Gold Knight, which volumes have you read so far?

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

I've read up to volume 15 myself. I was initially chagrined when I realized that the story wouldn't end with volume 15 but then got excited because I knew there were more volumes coming. Can't wait to read more. The last chapter (Dark Horse issue # 108 ) left us off on quite a cliffhanger!

Magatsu is definitely up in my own top 3 too. Actually, he's probably my No. 1.

Manji is kind of a Wolverine-type character, tough, rugged, and as difficult to kill as a cockroach, heh, but for a killer raised in the mountains he's actually a decent guy. So he's my No. 2. And Anotsu definitely surprised me too. He was introduced as the typical "gang leader" but turned out to be a helluva lot more three-dimensional than I ever expected, to the point where I even sympathized with him.

I'm also fond of Giichi - very curious to hear more about his background. I agree about Rin being a better character than Sakura, and while initially she reminded me of Fuu from the anime Samurai Champloo, she turned out to be better than her too.

The Itto-Ryu's philosophy - kadoman, you're a RK reader too, do you remember that part in Rurouni Kenshin where Kenshin had to deal with a dojo challenger who wanted to destroy modern swordsmanship and revive traditional Japanese kenjutsu? So this is the same deal except the Itto-Ryu is 100 times better, and Anotsu is definitely a much better well-rounded character than Raijuta.

It's one of the reasons why I had no problem saying Blade of the Immortal was better than Rurouni Kenshin. The characterization is just that good.

And kadoman -
Man is Shira the most evil bastard in comics EVER?

chin sai

Reaction score

ricarreolacr thank you so much
and yeah shira is the most evil in comics

kadoman

Itachi's Hat Maker
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Gold Knight said:
I've read up to volume 15 myself.  I was initially chagrined when I realized that the story wouldn't end with volume 15 but then got excited because I knew there were more volumes coming.  Can't wait to read more.  The last chapter (Dark Horse issue # 108 ) left us off on quite a cliffhanger!
I know!  And then you have to wait for frickin' ages to find out what happens.  It's annoying, but testiment to the good story telling.

My top 3 keep changing, depending upon what they do in the next volume! Ha!  At the moment, it's Magatsu, then Manji, then Anotsu.  I actually really loved the story arc covering Anotsu's arranged marriage and then later, his going off with Rin and getting sick and watching the dynamics between those two.  That was surprisingly effective.

The Itto-Ryu's philosophy - kadoman, you're a RK reader too, do you remember that part in Rurouni Kenshin where Kenshin had to deal with a dojo challenger who wanted to destroy modern swordsmanship and revive traditional Japanese kenjutsu?  So this is the same deal except the Itto-Ryu is 100 times better, and Anotsu is definitely a much better well-rounded character than Raijuta.
Yeah.  I know what you mean and I thought the same thing.  I think perhaps this notion or concept might have some historical significance in Japan?  I've seen that 'theory' bandied around a bit in some manga and movies here and there.

And kadoman -
Man is Shira the most evil bastard in comics EVER?
Haha! You got it!  Which reminds me, have you seen any manga fight scenes depicted with such brutality as these ones?  If you have, tell me the name of the title.  I swear, there were a few scenes one or two volumes back that had my stomach doing turns and that's not easy (I like horror too).

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

kadoman said:
Haha! You got it! Which reminds me, have you seen any manga fight scenes depicted with such brutality as these ones? If you have, tell me the name of the title. I swear, there were a few scenes one or two volumes back that had my stomach doing turns and that's not easy (I like horror too).
Nope. I'm reading Vagabond at the moment and it doesn't even come close, either - though the art is breathtaking there too. I've only read the first chapter of Berserk so far but that may have some brutality too to match up, though I'm skeptical so far that it'll be just as good a story.

For Blade of the Immortal, I think because the central character is immortal, that's why Mr. Hiroaki Samura feels like he has the freedom to have arms and legs and heads flying everywhere, because his own hero gets just as cut up as the rest of them, so it works with the story - Manji might be the most abused protagonist in all of manga. haha.

I'm not a fan of over-excessive violence, but the art in Blade of the Immortal makes it worth it. Some of the scenes are just done so well.

chin sai

Reaction score

you'd think he'd work on his skills being immortal and all, hahhahah
i wouldn't wanna get cut at all

kadoman

Itachi's Hat Maker
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Gold Knight said:
Nope.  I'm reading Vagabond at the moment - snip -

- Manji might be the most abused protagonist in all of manga.  haha.
I tried to get into Vagabond, but it wasn't doing it for me. Dunno why. This was about 3 years ago, maybe I should try again.

As for Manji being the most abused protagonist, HELL YEAH! I think you hit the nail on the head - because he is able to be as cut up and dismembered as the rest of them, he really has to earn the reader's respect, ya know? Respect is not just granted to him the way it is with every other protagonist (Sasuke being a good example - except, later on, Sasuke takes a big ol' downhill slide, which earns our respect more so, but getting back on track...)

I like the fact that there are loopholes to his immortality. If he gets cut up just enough (gets his head chopped off) he can actually die. Also, it takes time for the worms to weave their magic and put him back together again. And then there's the poison. So, he's still pretty vulnerable. I like that.

chin sai

Reaction score

kadoman said:
I tried to get into Vagabond, but it wasn't doing it for me. Dunno why. This was about 3 years ago, maybe I should try again.

As for Manji being the most abused protagonist, HELL YEAH! I think you hit the nail on the head - because he is able to be as cut up and dismembered as the rest of them, he really has to earn the reader's respect, ya know? Respect is not just granted to him the way it is with every other protagonist (Sasuke being a good example - except, later on, Sasuke takes a big ol' downhill slide, which earns our respect more so, but getting back on track...)

I like the fact that there are loopholes to his immortality. If he gets cut up just enough (gets his head chopped off) he can actually die. Also, it takes time for the worms to weave their magic and put him back together again. And then there's the poison. So, he's still pretty vulnerable. I like that.
god the way you described it put it in perspective. he kinda sucks as a kenshi thank god the worms are there

Snake1786

Reaction score
Country
Austria

Thx Gold Knight a fantastic manga although I prefer Vagabond but still excellent the second suprising manga after Death Note.