Chapter Boku no Hero Academia Chapter 367 Discussion

Lobo

The Main Man
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Where you cheer for the villains or the heroes... the panels showing Izuku reacting to some of the heroes having been injured is pretty hilarious when you consider the absolute hypocrisy. Fighting to help people is understandable as is being upset if you see people you care for being injured... But in the heroes only had themselves to blame here. They mark people as villains and then attack them and try to either kill them or imprison them forever. So the villains fighting back shouldn't be seen as bad in itself. The villains killing and/or injuring people that attack them, can you really say that these actions are bad? They are not.

Now, the villains (Himiko etc) react with anger when they see their friends get injured there is no denying this... but there are two major important points that make this different.

1. Heroes are supposed to be heroic and the moment they start putting the safety of some people over others, then they are no longer heroes. I doubt this was Hori's intention, but this does make the title "my hero" kind of fitting. I.E they are not real heroes, they are just people fighting not to save everyone, but because they have been brainwashed.

2. While the villains in the villain union does not lend the same sympathy to the people they victimize as opposed to the people that they care for, the problem Himiko brought up was never that the heroes were wrong in protecting other people... her issue was with that the heroes in their minds didn't see the villains as people at all. Perfect example of this is Mirio that act as if villains are enemy characters from a videogame.

This is also one of the main problems with Ochaco's interactions with Himiko where she doesn't see the person before her eyes but just the problem that they are causing. While such a thing seem to go hand in hand, Ochaco said that she would stop Himiko if Himiko did bad things. But this is actually the wrong approach and wrong way of looking at it. When you express it like this, it is like saying that the law itself has an intrinsic value in itself that needs to be upheld. While upholding laws is the foundation of a society, in the end what we end up with is a nebulous decision that was made long ago that now control and deprive people of their freedom to live and make their own decisions.

As a hero you are supposed to save and protect people. Fighting villains is only a sad outcome from a hero trying to protect everyone. So Ochaco's answer was wrong. What she should do isn't to stop villains, but rather to protect the people from harm from villains. In the end whether the outcome is the same or not, the importance of difference between these two mindsets is huge. Protecting people means to protect them from harm. But such a hero should also protect everyone... and that means that a real hero would and should protect a villain from civilians or/and the government itself. A hero should be above laws and regulations.
There's possibly not a single sentence I agree with in there, at the very least not a paragraph, and certainly the last sentence takes the cake.

Chocolatejr9

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Where you cheer for the villains or the heroes... the panels showing Izuku reacting to some of the heroes having been injured is pretty hilarious when you consider the absolute hypocrisy. Fighting to help people is understandable as is being upset if you see people you care for being injured... But in the heroes only had themselves to blame here. They mark people as villains and then attack them and try to either kill them or imprison them forever. So the villains fighting back shouldn't be seen as bad in itself. The villains killing and/or injuring people that attack them, can you really say that these actions are bad? They are not.

Now, the villains (Himiko etc) react with anger when they see their friends get injured there is no denying this... but there are two major important points that make this different.

1. Heroes are supposed to be heroic and the moment they start putting the safety of some people over others, then they are no longer heroes. I doubt this was Hori's intention, but this does make the title "my hero" kind of fitting. I.E they are not real heroes, they are just people fighting not to save everyone, but because they have been brainwashed.

2. While the villains in the villain union does not lend the same sympathy to the people they victimize as opposed to the people that they care for, the problem Himiko brought up was never that the heroes were wrong in protecting other people... her issue was with that the heroes in their minds didn't see the villains as people at all. Perfect example of this is Mirio that act as if villains are enemy characters from a videogame.

This is also one of the main problems with Ochaco's interactions with Himiko where she doesn't see the person before her eyes but just the problem that they are causing. While such a thing seem to go hand in hand, Ochaco said that she would stop Himiko if Himiko did bad things. But this is actually the wrong approach and wrong way of looking at it. When you express it like this, it is like saying that the law itself has an intrinsic value in itself that needs to be upheld. While upholding laws is the foundation of a society, in the end what we end up with is a nebulous decision that was made long ago that now control and deprive people of their freedom to live and make their own decisions.

As a hero you are supposed to save and protect people. Fighting villains is only a sad outcome from a hero trying to protect everyone. So Ochaco's answer was wrong. What she should do isn't to stop villains, but rather to protect the people from harm from villains. In the end whether the outcome is the same or not, the importance of difference between these two mindsets is huge. Protecting people means to protect them from harm. But such a hero should also protect everyone... and that means that a real hero would and should protect a villain from civilians or/and the government itself. A hero should be above laws and regulations.
Somedays I wonder if you're reading the same manga as the rest of us...

armycat23

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
There's possibly not a single sentence I agree with in there, at the very least not a paragraph, and certainly the last sentence takes the cake.
I was willing to give IIyia a shot, but I found it hard to make it past the first paragraph due to how warped of a mindset he must have to justify the things he mentioned. There's less than à handful of sympathetic villians. Many will proudly declare their brutality not on the heroes, but on the general public.

Even Himiko was willing and wanting to hurt that little grandma to fit her desires and goal. I seriously doubt she was the only innocent civilian that Toga hurt.

Iiyia says don't fight the villians, but protect the people....but he/she doesnt understand that in order to protect the civilians they have to fight the villians.

What if you said to the police, "there's a serial killer across the street,....but dont confront him....just protect the people "?
How can you blame the police for being proactive and going after the criminal?

I skipped to read the last sentence and wow....what a doozy. His/her post might be the worst Ive read in 25 years of being interested in manga.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Felt like a big nothing chapter.
Couldn't disagree more. It really needed à whole chapter for Deku encountering this.

Last edited:

Overhaul_97

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Shigaraky/Afo again has an image of a bearer(Third) of One for All... This confirms that when he saw the image of the Second when receiving Bakugo's blows, it was more of a residual memory of All for One's mind (Quirk ) when he fought against them.
That's why he felt the threat of Bakugo; not because it was Bakugo, but because of the danger that there is a person who is a potential threat to him.

armycat23

Reaction score
Country
United States
So.....he raged after all. And here I was hoping he would contain himself even in rage and just fire back at the villian saying
'The one that is broken is you, and you know it,'
Still it would not be Deku, if Deku would not be a slave to his emotions. That scene of him having all the Users is badass I'll give that. But now thats here.
Now would be a good time to see what the others are doing, and PROVE THEY CAN WIN!!! The heroes I mean.
Yeah, I think it would be out of character for Deku not to blow up at that. Frankly a MC that would act calm in that situation would strike me as as a dullard who probably walked around the entire series barely showing much emotion. No matter how much you accept a possibility, when faced with the reality, the outcome that can almost always be expected is "human".

The only anime/light novel MC where this works....is classroom of the elite.

Deku vs AFO/Shigaraki will begin soon. Can Deku defeat AFO/Shigaraki at this point? I am not sure. He needs a big power up to do so. AFO/Shigaraki powers are immense and remember his quirks are also negate so far.
Imo, he's going to need help at some point because I doubt the teasing of the return of bakugo will happen after this fight is settled.

We also have to consider the prediction of All Might's death. While it's not a garuntee, I doubt something like that will be mentioned and for it not to be shown.

My prediction- Deku and Bakugo vs AFO...and at some point All Might is going to sacrifice himself to protect them.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Oh, I forgot to say something. Well now when Izuku seen "dead" Bakugo and became soo devastated that he lost control again I can't imagine how much happy he will be once when Edgeshot will end his job and save Bakugo from death. I mean sure, he may be sad due to Edgeshots sacrefice but he still will be able to team up with his friend once again. Though I don't think Bakugo will fight very long time once when he will be alive again. After all he's all stitched on the inside and seriously wounded but I can't imagine that he will sit down somewhere and do nothing.
Agreed...and to mention....best Jeanist told Bakugo to come to him later with a new hero name. I think bakugo will honor Edge Shot and let his new hero name be influenced by that sacrifice. Maybe call himself Murder Shot (jk lol)

levi12

Reaction score
Country
Austria
I hope they switch to the other fight soon. It's too soon for Deku vs AFO/Shigaraki full fight.

armycat23

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hope they switch to the other fight soon. It's too soon for Deku vs AFO/Shigaraki full fight.
I'm actually more interested in seeing ochako and froppy's fight against Toga than the dabi fight. Frankly, I think it was a mistake to continue the dabi fight and will feel kinda anticlimatic in the end......but papa's got to join in, I suppose, to do à talk no jutsu.

Neala897

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Real Afo role at this point feels more and more menacing. He has already warped Deku words from first chapter so how about his entrance as well.

cracker

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was willing to give IIyia a shot, but I found it hard to make it past the first paragraph due to how warped of a mindset he must have to justify the things he mentioned. There's less than à handful of sympathetic villians. Many will proudly declare their brutality not on the heroes, but on the general public.

Even Himiko was willing and wanting to hurt that little grandma to fit her desires and goal. I seriously doubt she was the only innocent civilian that Toga hurt.

Iiyia says don't fight the villians, but protect the people....but he/she doesnt understand that in order to protect the civilians they have to fight the villians.

What if you said to the police, "there's a serial killer across the street,....but dont confront him....just protect the people "?
How can you blame the police for being proactive and going after the criminal?

I skipped to read the last sentence and wow....what a doozy. His/her post might be the worst Ive read in 25 years of being interested in manga.

Couldn't disagree more. It really needed à whole chapter for Deku encountering this.
I predicted Deku reaction. This is like 5 mins worth of anime.

Womanomu

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States

I actually like and identify with the villains more in this manga and if we were talking about the PLW arc I'd agree with you. But in this case, AFO is recently guilty of escaping prison and releasing an untold number of other criminals from prison, extremist activities, assault, terrorism, murder and attempted murder, inciting riots, threats, corruption of minors ( forcing Aoyama to be the traitor and encouraging Toga to attack heroes) and you could call what he has done to Shigaraki kidnapping and false imprisonment, among other things. In this case, the villains must be stopped. The heroes really have no choice here. Although the employ of child soldiers by the heroes really is pretty inexcusable and they should face charges of child endangerment.

JazzMazz

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Mirko could leave us at the end of the battle.
Thats if she goes in for round two, which I wouldn't mind. The other heroes getting a second wind to help Deku pull through would be nice. Especially for heroes like Nejire who did jack shit the entire fight.
Real Afo role at this point feels more and more menacing. He has already warped Deku words from first chapter so how about his entrance as well.
Again, feel like is too tied up thematically with the characters at Gunga mountain for their fight not to reach a resolution.(and I think the only resolution that can be reached if AFO disappearing at Gunga mountain).

These points of thematic opposition need to be brought up and resolved, and I think finishing the fight at the mountain would be the perfect time for that to happen. Especially if you consider the fact that AFO is telling Hawks(another character with visions of the world he wants to make), about how he wants to obstruct the future.

How are the heroes the ones to blame for getting hurt fighting a genocidal maniac who wants to kill everyone? That is Shiggy's stated aim and goal in the series. To kill all heroes and drive Japan into a despotic rule.

This is not the heroes marking Shiggy as evil "because the pedantics of the law", Shiggy is just actively evil lol. Same for Toga in this case. But ultimately, her aims are ultimately pretty easy to classify as 'inherently bad'. The series is not subtle with its presentation as Toga as a broken and wicked person in many ways. Toga fundamentally does not understand romance and human and what she is actively fighting for at the moment is something that will only actively increase her ability to participate in harmful behaviours that hurt others(in the sense she literally kills them), but also herself(in the sense that it strains her ability to actually form meaningful relationships with other people in the future).

Also, the villains are in this specific circumstance, the instigators. The villains are on the attack, the heroes on the defense. The villains do not want to fix society. They just want to break society and human relations even further for their own pursuits of personal satisfaction and power.

Bruh. You can put the safety of some people above others in a certain context and still be considered a hero. By your metric, someone who actively fights against an evil merciless warrior tyrant overlord who is exploiting the natural resources of a country against the will of its people wouldn't be a real hero because they aren't considering the safety of the evil warrior tyrant overlord and his followers.

This is not a strawman. This is the logical extent of your argument.

Your actively saying you can't be a real hero if you don't consider the safety of literally everyone regardless of context?

Thats just not true though, and Mirio does not treat villains like that lol. Mirio actively recognizes the humanity of the villains he fights against almost to a comical degree. Why do you think he bothered to ask Shigaraki why he wanted to destroy everything and why he even apologized to Shigaraki when he realized he touched a soft spot? That to me seems to be Mirio pretty actively recognizing Shigaraki's humanity. If he didn't, then he wouldn't have tried to halt Shiggy with a silly joke.

Your claim is not terribly supported. If your using an example from Overhaul, you should note he double tapped two of the 8 precepts in a situation where both of them were trying to kill him and were active threats to him. I would not say the force he used against them in that situation was remotely disproportionate considering the incredibly extreme circumstances.

Uraraka made no mention of laws at all. She wanted to stop Toga, because Toga's actions were actively resulting in the deaths of many many people, which was Uraraka's primary concern.

Now, Uraraka is actually interested in learning more about Toga than just what Toga is as a criminal.

No, she absolutely should stop the villains, but being sympathetic to see if rehabilitation is possible is not an unworthy pursuit. Toga in particular is pretty young and isn't as entrenched or as far gone as someone like Shigaraki or Dabi for example.

You also need to consider who is doing the harm here. The villains are at the moment, not the ones being harmed, they are the ones actively hurting others far more viciously than society has injured them.

Also, what? No, heroes should not be above laws and regulations. That is a ridiculous thing to say. The only way that is justifiable, is that the laws are in some way inherently unjust and actively need to be fought against. I simply cannot say that is really the case with MHA. Most laws are pretty common sense, and although there is room for reform, for example around protecting yourself using your own quirk, that is not really what any of the villains are advocating for.

XXGenesis

Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
Felt like a big nothing chapter.
Lack of emotional weight.

Author doesn’t do well with executing these moments, which when done right leaves a lasting expression…..When I think back this started for me way back when Deku defeats overhaul & needs rescuing from Eri.

I’ve only seen the Raw. But for this moment to have come and passed so soon, the way it did.. lacks flavor. I doubt the dialogue is going to help much.

levi12

Reaction score
Country
Austria
I'm actually more interested in seeing ochako and froppy's fight against Toga than the dabi fight. Frankly, I think it was a mistake to continue the dabi fight and will feel kinda anticlimatic in the end......but papa's got to join in, I suppose, to do à talk no jutsu.
Perhaps you are right

cracker

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah Hori structured the fight in a unique way. Dabi was one of the biggest final fights ( top 3) based on how he framed it. Him losing early to Shoto was build early moral in the heroes. So that when he flipped the script and went into his phase 2 (of the fight, not the war) it was suppose to feel temporarily hopeless. The thing is, Shoto was never, no matter what some thought...gonna be the one to conclude Dabi's storyline. That would have been weird and unearned. It was always centered around Endev. So he had to be a part of it somehow. Until that final confrontation happens...Dabi and Endev should have plot armor. After which Shoto and Endev can defeat him together or he takes out Endev and Shoto goes plus ultra for the win.

Pirate Queen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Team Ironman all the way

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Yeah Hori structured the fight in a unique way. Dabi was one of the biggest final fights ( top 3) based on how he framed it. Him losing early to Shoto was build early moral in the heroes. So that when he flipped the script and went into his phase 2 (of the fight, not the war) it was suppose to feel temporarily hopeless. The thing is, Shoto was never, no matter what some thought...gonna be the one to conclude Dabi's storyline. That would have been weird and unearned. It was always centered around Endev. So he had to be a part of it somehow. Until that final confrontation happens...Dabi and Endev should have plot armor. After which Shoto and Endev can defeat him together or he takes out Endev and Shoto goes plus ultra for the win.
From the sounds of it, it looks like Shouto vs Dabi will switch battlefields over to Gunga mountain. I’m also thinking that Skeptic is also hacking into the Todorokis’ moving complex to bring them to Gunga as well.

AmyRose

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Well, Mirio from some point couldn't do anything to ShigiAfO but at least was quite good support and that take really big amount of courage to "flash" your butt in baddie face just to buy two seconds. I mean what if that wouldn't work? Mirio was total gambler who's puting everything on one card in that moment. Well, ShigiAfO overlooked Mirio and he destroyed his freshly invented plan to quickly defeat Izuku before he could even do anything. Never underestimate people who can't do much but are still able to say something meaningful. I guess now ShigiAfO will have to deal not with feral uncontolable Deku but with very angry but still reasonable Deku. From now on we may see some struggle but I'm pretty sure ShigiAfO is quite deep in shit right now. Because only mad rage of Izuku could help ShigiAfO win against him but when he is angry yet still able to think straight it's nail to ShigiAfOs coffin. After all Izukus analytical mind was his strongest traits even before he got OfA.

Last edited:

JazzMazz

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I don't think Endeavour is going to conclude Dabi's plot line. At best, he may be present to witness its conclusion, but I think it still mainly rides on Shoto. Even though Dabi did what he did because of Endeavour, Dabi is Shoto's shadow self, not Endeavour's. To Endeavour, Dabi is just one of his mistakes of many in relation to his family. He isn't the end all be all of Endeavour's arc and it would be strange if Dabi was. Dabi on the other hand, is the perfect embodiment of what Shoto could have become if he hadn't met Deku, and we know this, because Shoto said so himself.

As such, my feelings for how this will play out goes as follows.

Endeavour and the heroes on Gunga mountain manage to contain AFO long enough for him to disappear, however, all the notable heroes who fought AFO, including Endeavour, are too injured to move much less continue fighting.

Dabi has basically spent this entire time travelling across country to reach Endeavour as quickly as possible, and arrives after AFO's disappearance to find a helpless and incapacitated though awake Endeavour surrounded by a crap ton of wounded heroes. Just as he is about to finish everyone off, Shoto who has been in pursuit of Dabi manages to show up in time to prevent Dabi from doing any further damage, and they have their final battle in front of Endeavour.

This is just a hypothetical, but I think this is the one that makes the most sense, or at least has the most elements I like.

AFO is a character in thematic conflict with Hawks, Endeavour and Jiro, so it makes sense that his fight is finished on the mountain.

It keeps up the tension by having a major threat appear when everyone is still exhausted from fighting the prior major threat.

It allows Endeavour to witness Dabi's down fall without being the main agent affecting it(since Dabi is not something Endeavour can fix through fighting him), and still gives Shoto the chance to beat Dabi.