Hangout - Boku no Hero Academia Hangout Thread | Page 48 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

iceemperor

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
There's a campaign going on for the movie where you can tweet your questions regarding Heroaca to Horikoshi using the specified tag. A number of these questions will be selected and Horikoshi will answer them along with an interview in Comic Natalie's Power Push. The deadline is 6/4.

The tag is #堀越耕平先生に聞いてみよう

KOBA

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
The next arc is being called the "Pro Hero Arc" so we might get some rather serious stuff. Its also been stated in the Jump TOC/Talk thread that this chapter is only 15 pages. Horikoshi is either having trouble meeting deadlines or he decided to end this chapter short to transition into the, possible, internships again.
If i remember correctly new volume should be published earlier so probably Horikoshi was busy with it, plus his trip on San Diego Comic-Con.

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine

Waifu Wars 2018 is coming soon!​

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
What's the gist of the interview?
He says that he had decided to conclude the story in 30 volumes, but at the same time it would be impossible to finish everything in that amount. In short, the confirmation that the series will reach and exceed 40 volumes, as was obvious .....

He also stated that he would like to give more space to Mina, Shoji and Sero .....

Tanzo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some facts from it
- The Intern arc's development started from him thinking "Let's do a big arc"
- Mainly it was hard because it was difficult for him to draw an arc that was very heavy and dark, which affected his mood
- He wanted to draw the All Might vs AFO fight like it was the last chapter of the series
- Some characters that got more development or screentime unexpectedly were Tsuyu and Toga after he saw the response they got
- (of drawing more about students in Class 1-A) He wants to draw more chapters focusing on Ashido, as well as Sero - Also mentions Hagakure and Shoji (who he has planned a chapter for and hopes to be able to draw it)
- He always wants to get 1st place in the Jump questionaires
- Always wants to aim high in them and not go down - Used to think he has to work harder when the anime started (for the manga art), but later thought that he would be crushed by the pressure of thinking about that - Now the story is his main focus
User questions asked
1) Are there club activities at U.A High School, and do any of Class 1-A attend them?
- There are club activities in the general department, but people from the heroes department can't enter them normally. Topics of club activities could appear in the future however.
"Were there any lines or scenes in the manga based off Horikoshi's own experience"- There were, one was in Vol. 11 where Deku played with his mom as a child (He was crying while drawing this scene), and in Vol 16 when Tamaki transferred to a new school and became friends with Mirio.
- Horikoshi would like to have Todoroki's quirk if it existed, because he thinks it is nice when he draws it and wants to cool down his surroundings if it is hot
- Last question was "How did you become a mangaka"

Rest was already reported (when he plans to end the series)

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
Just a little add on:
  • He says that he himself likes reading, and watching movies with dark elements and bad ends and even gory scenes are fine for him but when it came to writing it himself he found it difficult and thus it affected his mood.
  • Hawks was praised by his first editor that helped build Heroaca with him.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Also, regarding the length, the word "折り返し" was used which means turning point, usually around halfway so we are somewhere around the 50% mark.

Koi Kage

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also, regarding the length, the word "折り返し" was used which means turning point, usually around halfway so we are somewhere around the 50% mark.
Huh, if that's true then would it be safe to assume we're looking at around a 450 chapter series then? If this is the case in my opinion that means were possible only going to see 2 complete school years with a school year time skip in the future that is if this isn't like the Oda situation where he says it X-amount into the complete story.

KOBA

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Huh, if that's true then would it be safe to assume we're looking at around a 450 chapter series then?
At 400 most likely.
If this is the case in my opinion that means were possible only going to see 2 complete school years with a school year time skip in the future that is if this isn't like the Oda situation where he says it X-amount into the complete story.
Doubt there will be a time skip at this point, Horikoshi can rush thru school year a bit, but not much.

Koi Kage

Reaction score
Country
United States
At 400 most likely.

Doubt there will be a time skip at this point, Horikoshi can rush thru school year a bit, but not much.
I don't see why there can't be a big time skip like that were already pushing 200 chapters for the first year as it is if he wants to show Deku become "#1" hero then he'd have to do in his 3rd year meaning cramming a whole school year in 100 chapters if he's going to show every year which I don't see happening since it took the 200 chapters just to get out of the first year.

KOBA

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
I don't see why there can't be a big time skip like that were already pushing 200 chapters for the first year as it is if he wants to show Deku become "#1" hero then he'd have to do in his 3rd year meaning cramming a whole school year in 100 chapters if he's going to show every year which I don't see happening since it took the 200 chapters just to get out of the first year.
Since there's no need to repeat all the events of the first year, like all the exams and festivals, school year can be done in hundred chapters.

Nakurawari

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
The full Horikoshi interview, translated by Aitaimochii:
THE INTERNSHIP ARC WAS DIFFICULT

Interviewer: My Academia will be celebrating its 4th anniversary in July. Congratulations!

Horikoshi: Ahh, it’s been four years already, huh. Thank you very much.

Interviewer: Well then, let’s discuss some of the content for My Hero Academia. At the moment, the most recent volume is Volume 18, and up until now Deku and the others have been interning with pro-heroes and also came into contact with villains along the way. This is the “Internship Arc,” and it is supposed to be the longest arc within the My Hero Academia story so far, right?

Horikoshi: When I started the internship arc, I was thinking that I wanted to make this the longest arc so far. Up until now, even the longest arcs for MHA spanned no more than two volumes. However, series such as One Piece have arcs that keep going and going, right?

Interviewer: The longest arc for One Piece probably was more than 10 volumes.

Horikoshi: I wanted to challenge myself in creating a long arc like that. Also, I needed to introduce characters that will be present in the last arc of the My Hero Academia story, so I wanted to plan this all out. To tell the truth though, when I was writing the internship arc, it was really hard to push through. In the middle of the arc I thought to myself, “I can’t do this.”

Interviewer: Is it because the arc was long that gave you hardships?

Horikoshi: It’s not because the arc was long, but more about the story that made it difficult. The story was much too dark, and during the middle of it, I just wasn’t feeling it.

Interview: The internship arc indeed also had a character who actually died, and this was a very heavy episode that had not happened thus far.

Horikoshi: When I read other manga or watch movies, I really like stories that have dark plots. I also like stories that don’t have happy endings and can totally stomach gore and horror. However, when I’m writing it myself, it gets really difficult. I’m someone whose feelings fluctuate depending on the contents that I am working on.

THIS WAS AN ARC THAT YOU WANTED READERS TO THINK WAS THE LAST ARC

Interviewer: When you were writing this dark episode, how did you keep up your own tensions during this?

Horikoshi: In the story, if I’m writing about a feel good development, then that’s where I recover my own feelings. For example, in the “Internship Arc,” the character Fat Gum really saved me.

Interview: With the name “Fat,” he was as his name suggests, and also spoke in a Kansai accent, and he was quite a comic relief character, right?

Horikoshi: In the scene with Fat Gum and Kirishima fighting against the villain, I felt really passionate, and I was able to transfer that onto my brush. From that point, I was finally able to write out the Internship Arc little by little. Fat Gum is My Hero.

Interview: On the topic of darker plot points, right now in the anime, the fight between All Might and All For One is also an episode that weighs heavily. Horikoshi-sensei, you started that episode in Volume 8 and made a comment that “This time, I want to write a bit more of a painful story.”

Horikoshi: As expected, writing out that arc was rough. Within the battle between All Might and All For One, when the rescue of (Bakugou) Katsuki, who was previously kidnapped by the villains, was finally put into motion, I myself was able to see the light, and I felt way better. That’s what I mean when I say that within the story, my own feelings become transferred on the paper, thinking “I finally drew it” at myself.

Interviewer: What kind of tensions were you feeling at that time?

Horikoshi: My goal was to let readers think that My Hero Academia would end during this fight. However, the readers probably knew that this wasn’t the end, and at that point during the poll, there were really good reviews, giving me the feeling that this manga isn’t just going to be tossed aside as a one shot thing.

Interviewer: What was your reasoning of wanting readers to think that this was the completion of the series?

Horikoshi: Since All Might loses his power in this fight, I couldn’t just draw with a normal feeling of tension. It’s not really “PLUS ULTRA,” but it was an episode that I needed to break the limit in order to leave an impression on the reader. I wanted to create a story where readers could look back at My Hero Academia and say that the best episode of the entire series was the fight between All Might and All For One.

WHAT IS A HERO?

Interviewer: This subject is present in the current arc, but for Horikoshi-sensei, what is a Hero in My Hero Academia?

Horikoshi: “What exactly is a hero?” This is what I think about and what makes me want to draw. What is a hero? It’s hard to put it in words.

Interviewer: How would you define the image of a hero?

Horikoshi: Moreso than that, I personally do not want to define that. When My Hero Academia first started, in a past interview, I remember answering “A hero would probably have this type of existence.” Recently though, I have been thinking about how there’s way more viewpoints that correlate with what is a hero. For example, some people might think a hero is someone who “even if they’re a lone wolf, they would still do their best, and that’s what you can call a hero.” There are also others who might think that heroes would be like a pro baseball player, someone who hopes to let everyone enjoy their work. There’s no single word that can pinpoint “Ah, this is a hero” in my opinion.

Interviewer: Has there been any triggers that made your own thought process change within the story?

Horikoshi: As the serialization continued, and after seeing various reviews from readers, I decided to start moving various characters’ stories forward. For example, for Deku, a hero is someone who can save people, and for Katsuki, a hero is someone who can win. When I realized that I had to write about their entire stories, I started to think that I had to figure out collectively what a hero figure would be for various people, and I guess if you call that a trigger, then I guess it is one.

A CHARACTER WHO WAS EXPANDED UPON AFTER INITIAL SERIALIZATION

Interviewer: The series has been in serialization for four years now, and has there been any characters that have been expanded upon than what you originally had planned?

Horikoshi: Hm…I guess that All Might, Katsuki, Todoroki, Endeavor, Ochako are all characters that this can be applied to, but since they are all main characters who have been progressing since their introduction, I wouldn’t say it’s an expansion of their character per se. However, if we are speaking about characters that had more plot expanded, then it would be Tsuyu and Toga. Since they were first introduced, we took into consideration the voices of the readers, and afterwards changed their story lines a bit. That’s why I would probably say Tsuyu and Toga.

Interviewer: Aoyama was featured in Volume 19 at the beginning of the volume. During the My Hero Academia anime event, and accordin to the coverage, a lot of cast members said that they like Aoyama, but of course, if he’s popular enough, will he have his own feature?

Horikoshi: No, that’s not exactly true (laughs). Just because he’s popular hm…maybe that’s just within the industry.

Interviewer: Oh no (laughs)! Besides Aoyama-kun, if you were to feature another character from Class A, who would it be?

Horikoshi: If it’s the girls, then I would choose Ashido. She’s rather cute, and a good character, so I would like to write about her. If it’s the boys, then I would choose Sero, the guy who has Spiderman-like abilities that could have great action sequences. However, I think that including Hagakure, Shouji, etc., I would like to write more about all members of the class. We actually have a story featuring Shouji planned already, so we will probably include it somewhere.

I WANT TO REACH NUMBER ONE IN THE POLLS

Interviewer: In Kadokawa’s Da Vinci magazine, you had an interview with Naruto’s Kishimoto-sensei, and during the discussion, you mentioned that you were worried about keeping up with the demands of the readers.

Horikoshi: Yes, I did.

Interviewer: At that time, My Hero Academia was only at its 3rd volume, but afterwards the anime, games, light novels, and now a movie have been released, so the series has expanded to various media. How do you maintain the demand of the readers in this case?

Horikoshi: The most important one is of course the polls. I always aim for the top and not lose any traction. My Hero Academia fluctuates a lot in the polls, so there have been times where it dipped. That’s why I want to create an amazing story that can reach the Number 1 ranks, and I create the content with the hope that it will reach Number 1. At first I thought that since the anime has started, I really needed to put my all into this, but if I keep thinking that, then I would probably break from the pressure, so that’s why right now I just want to focus on the contents of the manga.

Interviewer: You mentioned before that Yahagi Kousuke, the person who initially helped the serialization of Kishimoto’s Naruto, was a great presence for you.

Horikoshi: That’s right. He’s always on my conscience.

Interviewer: Do you think about the editor who first helped you in the serialization?

Horikoshi: Sometimes. Even though we have a different editor now for Boku No Hero Academia, I sometimes think about what the first editor, Koike-san, would say, such as maybe he would get upset at that, and so forth. However, I heard that Koike-san praised the new character, Hawks, to my current editor, and that made me really happy from the bottom of my heart. In lieu of this, my first editor does have a presence within me.

THE MOVIE HAS A COMBO MOVE WITH DEKU AND ALL MIGHT THAT WAS NOT IN THE MANGA

Interviewer: Well then, let’s talk a bit about the My Hero Academia Movie “The Two Heroes,” which will release in theaters in August! When it was decided that there will be a movie, what were your feelings?

Horikoshi: I had a feeling of “wait…no way, you’re joking, right?” There was talk of making a movie previously, but I never believed it. However, when the story progressed more and more, even if we were to have a meeting with the staff, I’m sure that the plans would fall through. Because a movie requires a lot of manpower to make it happen, I truly thought that it was never going to happen, but now that I think of it, I was a bit rude in that aspect.

Interviewer: Horikoshi, you are listed as the creator and supervisor of the movie. Exactly what did you work on?

Horikoshi: I worked on many things such as the design for David and Melissa as well as what I want to have in the movie’s plot, what I want the characters to do, and we discussed this thoroughly with Director Nagasaki and the movie staff. I also read the scripts and offered my own opinions with the direction of how the story should go.

Interviewer: What kind of scenarios did the staff ask you?

Horikoshi: It wasn’t discussed in the first draft, but I wanted Deku to really try his all in the story. I also wanted people who did not know anything about My Hero Academia to be able to enjoy the movie. Since it’s a movie, I wanted to let Deku and the others go to a different location! (laughs)

Interviewer: The stage is set in a floating island abroad, and we also see that a Young All Might used to study abroad in a city in America.

Horikoshi: When I create a character, I think of their chronology, and for All Might, his history is that he studied abroad in America, so that’s why I wanted to expand on that aspect.

Interviewer: In the trailer, there are scenes where they are fighting, and the animation is really well done!

Horikoshi: Yes, I actually haven’t seen the finished product yet myself, but from the brief scenes I saw, the characters move wonderfully. I hope everyone watches it in theaters! The duo combo attack scenes with All Might and Deku that didn’t make it into the manga are also a point of interest!

Interviewer: Since this happens before All Might loses his power in the manga, his power move with Deku is something you can’t write anymore in the manga.

Horikoshi: Yes, the events of the movie happen before the battle with All For One, so I want everyone to be able to watch and look forward to this since you will never see their duo power move in the manga.

FOUR CAREFULLY SELECTED QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Interviewer: To promote the movie, there was a hash tag on Twitter where users could ask you a question, and these are the four questions that we hope you can answer for us.

Horikoshi: Ah, these were the four chosen ones, yes? I totally you meant that even though we had planned this, we only got four questions (laughs).

Interviewer: We got so many questions, it was way beyond even 100 (laughs). So let’s move on to the first question. “Is there club activities in U.A.?” and “If there was, what kind of activities would the students of Class 1A partake in?”

Horikoshi: U.A. has the General Studies and Economics departments, so there would be club activities. However those who are in the hero department would not enter those. They of course could enter if they wanted to, but I don’t think they would have time to go through that. However, perhaps the General Studies’ student Shinsou might be involved, and there might be a bit about the club activities in the main story in the future.

Interviewer: For example, what type of club activity do you think Deku or Katsuki would do?

Horikoshi: Deku would probably be in some kind of movie analysis club. Katsuki would be in…I don’t know, maybe Argument Club? (T/N: He specifically says ARGUMENT club, not Debate Club lol).

Interviewer: You don’t think he would be in a boxing club? (laughs)

Horikoshi: I think he would hate the rules and probably boxing isn’t his thing. Maybe he wouldn’t even be in a club to begin with.

Interviewer: Okay, on to the next question: “Within the series and the world, the MHA characters feel real and have very human emotions. Did you have any of your own experiences that you wrote into the story?”

Interviewer: Has there been any specific instances where your own personal experienced have influenced some of the story’s scenes or script?

Horikoshi: Oh wow, there’s way too many to count. For example in Volume 11, when Deku was younger he and his mom have a scene together [where Deku’s mom says, “Help me!” and Deku says “I am here!”] I actually used to do this exact same thing with my mom when I was younger, and we played at the park’s playgrounds. We called it the “King of the Jungle.” My mom would go inside the jungle gym at the playground and say, “Please save me, Leo,” which is the name that I used to call myself when we played this together.

I have that memory of pretending to be Leo and playing with my mom at the playground, so I wanted to incorporate that into the story. As a reader, it’s probably a scene that does not hold much meaning, but as for me, I cried while writing that scene.

Interviewer: So Horikoshi-sensei does incorporate his own experiences into the My Hero Academia story line.

Horikoshi: Yes, I suppose. Another experience that I put into the story was in Volume 16 where you learn about Tamaki transferring schools.

Interviewer: Tamaki transferred schools and was not used to his new class, but he soon became good friends with Mirio, who helped him feel included.

Horikoshi: Right before entering middle school but after elementary school, I ended up going to a middle school outside of my neighborhood. Since this school was outside of where I went to elementary school, I knew no one at all. Everyone else was already in their own groups and knew each other, but I was the loner, and it was a really sad time for me (laughs).

Interviewer: So then for you, a friend like Mirio was there to help.

Horikoshi: Yes, he told me, “you’re not a bad person at all” and was the one who helped me feel included. Man, when I say this now it sounds kind of stupid, huh? (laughs)

Interviewer: Not at all!!!

Horikoshi: Hopefully fans of Tamaki won’t dislike this bit of information, with an impression of like “Oh that’s actually Horikoshi’s memory” or something like that. However, that’s basically how I use my own experiences to add to my characters, and my feelings just overflow into the story.

Interviewer: Let’s move on to the third question: “If you had this quirk, you would definitely want to use it!” Which quirk would that be, and how would you want to use it?

Horikoshi: Definitely Todoroki. I hate hot places, and when things get hot I immediately want to cool down. When I draw Todoroki, I often think “It would be nice to have this quirk.”

Interviewer: That’s quite a practical answer (laughs). Here’s the last question: “Please let us know the reason why you decided to become a mangaka.”

Horikoshi: I loved drawing ever since I was little, and if you think of an industry that allows you to draw, there’s nothing else besides manga, so I decided to become a manga artist. To give a specific incident that occurred, when I was in Elementary chool, the manga “Megaman X2” came out, and I loved drawing the character called the Crystal Snail. My friends complimented me on my drawing and even said “Please give me this drawing!” and this made me really happy. At that time, I don’t know why, but I remember thinking “I want to be a manga artist in the future!”

HE IS DRAWING CONTENT THAT WILL HAVE MEANING IN THE LAST ARC

Interviewer: Well then, lastly, please tell us a bit more about the expansion of the “My Hero Academia” universe. Previously in SUGOI JAPAN, you mentioned that you would like My Hero Academia to be a short and concise story and not drawn out, but what percentage of the story is complete at this point?

Horikoshi: When the decision to extend the series happened, I personally thought “I guess I want to end it here” and it was around Volume 30.

Interviewer: So then are you 2/3 done with the story?

Horikoshi: That’s what I had originally planned, but when I think of all the things that must be set up before getting into the last arc, I realized, “Ending the series at Volume 30 will be impossible” (laughs). However, the current arc that is going on all has purpose that will be relevant in the last arc.

Interviewer: You mentioned in today’s interview that the “Internship Arc” had a very important character that you wanted to draw at the end. Does that mean that all the characters will come together at the last arc?

Horikoshi: All characters will come together and go forward into the last arc. However, at the moment we are not even close to the last battle, but I do have an idea of how I want it to be planned out.

Interviewer: Volume 19 covers the Cultural Festival, and there’s a lot of bright scenes, but please give us a message in regards to points of interest within the newest volume.

Horikoshi: The Cultural Festival puts a spotlight on Jirou from the girls in Class A, and I had the conscience of making sure that she has a lot of cute faces when drawing it. Of course, fans of Jirou would love this, but I hope that others will also enjoy Jirou in this arc!
Original post

Last edited:

Koi Kage

Reaction score
Country
United States
The full Horikoshi interview, translated by Aitaimochii:

Original post
So according to the interview Horikoshi wanted to end the series with the students still being in their first year interesting but it does make sense as the OFA v AFO fight did come across as the climax of a series in my opinion. Also if Horikoshi did want to end the series originally in their first year that would explain why he's kept them in their first year for so long when he could've easily made them second years long before where we currently are at in the manga. Also its interesting to see that Horikoshi wasn't really happy with the ending of the Internship arc though according to him he felt it was to dark which is the exact opposite of what I've seen be the big complaints of that arc along with my own personal complaints. I haven't seen people really say its to dark more that the pacing was way to drawn out, not agreeing with Deku being the one to take out Overhaul, not really getting to know the new characters well enough to have any real emotional attachment to them, that characters just being there really in name only and not contributing to the actual arc as a whole, or the overall arc was just not well thought out all these are the complaints I've seen being had with the arc never any about it being to dark huh bit odd that this was Horikoshi's biggest issue with the arc overall.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
So according to the interview Horikoshi wanted to end the series with the students still being in their first year interesting but it does make sense as the OFA v AFO fight did come across as the climax of a series in my opinion. Also if Horikoshi did want to end the series originally in their first year that would explain why he's kept them in their first year for so long when he could've easily made them second years long before where we currently are at in the manga. Also its interesting to see that Horikoshi wasn't really happy with the ending of the Internship arc though according to him he felt it was to dark which is the exact opposite of what I've seen be the big complaints of that arc along with my own personal complaints. I haven't seen people really say its to dark more that the pacing was way to drawn out, not agreeing with Deku being the one to take out Overhaul, not really getting to know the new characters well enough to have any real emotional attachment to them, that characters just being there really in name only and not contributing to the actual arc as a whole, or the overall arc was just not well thought out all these are the complaints I've seen being had with the arc never any about it being to dark huh bit odd that this was Horikoshi's biggest issue with the arc overall.
He didn't say that. He said he wanted fans to have that impression.

He also said that the development leading to the final battle will be longer than planned.

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
This is quite the praise for Horikoshi. Oda says that Horikoshi is the "hottest"(meaning hot-blooded/along those lines) in Jump right now.
You sure you got that right and it's not that Hori walks around in a bikini?

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
You sure you got that right and it's not that Hori walks around in a bikini?
Who knows:derp

I have heard that Horikoshi is supposedly quite handsome, like boy-band handsome, but the word used here is in regard to attitude and not looks.

Kocksmaw

Reaction score
Country
United States
Praise from Oda himself :wtf

xAsum0x

Reaction score
Country
United States
When will the whole interview drop?