Seinen - Chunchu by Kim Sung Jae & Kim Byung Jin | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Chunchu by Kim Sung Jae & Kim Byung Jin

Siedhr

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania

Title: Chunchu/Chonchu
Art: Kim Byung Jin
Story: Kim Sungjae

Summary:
Cursed from birth, Chunchu is the holder of the demon stone which renders its host invincible. Abandoned by his father and raised by a people not his own, the young man, whose name becomes synonymous with bloody massacres, arouses only fear and hatred wherever he goes. He has however decided to try to understand why such a destiny was reserved for him, but his twin brother is having none of it.

Preview:
Click for bigger images:

Downloads:
Volume 01 - Full volume download
Volume 02
Chapter 007
Chapter 008
Chapter 009
Chapter 010
Chapter 011

A relatively recent discovery of mine and a love at first sight, this manwha delivers on every level. Gorgeous art, suspense, a kick-ass tortured hero, a good plot, a host of interesting side characters. One of the things I like most about it, it's that it doesn't dilly-dally around with short, introductory arcs, this is all plot from the beginning. So we don't have to wait three volumes till we learn what's it all about.

Faction has only scanlated a volume and a half out of the 15 volumes that have been published, but my group (Strays) will be picking up from where they left off after the holidays. Of course, if anyone's interested in helping us with the editing (cleaning - scans are in pretty good shape though, and typesetting), we'll be glad to have you aboard.

So until that time, might as well whet your appetite for this fantastic manwha.

Please, if the discussion goes beyond the 11 scanlated chapters, keep it under spoiler tags.

Finito

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Re: Chunchu - Releases & Discussion Thread

Yeah great series, same artist as Jackals. At v15 the story is incomplete, its only the ending of the first half of Chunchu, the artist is working on Jackals meanwhile.
I didnt like the drama they added in the last volumes and I dont like the years of waiting they are making us wait for the continuation. Other than that, this manhwa is perfectly action packed for me.

The volumes are out in french and are available on emule too.

Siedhr

Reaction score
Country
Romania

Yeah great series, same artist as Jackals.
Indeed. We're doing Jackals as well. First chapter should be up... uhhh... today. :tem

To my knowledge, the artists intend to continue the series, especially if Jackals is successful, which it should be. As for the break, yes it is annoying for the fans, but many other artists took breaks for various reasons (Inoue Takehiko comes to mind) and came back with even better art and stories. I'm keeping my hopes up, especially since there are 15 volumes out, 15, not 2 or 3. Do you know when the last volume was published by any chance?

I liked the drama, that's what makes the manwha what it is. Though I agree it can be a little too thick at times
(especially the story of old-man monkey and the little boy, that was cheesy and rather pointless)
. What bothered me the most was the way the plot was jumping from one character to another, I mean
while reading the flashback of the little boy being fed by the Habaeks, I was convinced it was Hwakyunk, not Ulfasso. In fact, I'm still not sure who that was.
It suffers a bit as far as the planning of the storytelling goes.

I know, I've got those too. I literally ripped through them, as soon as they were finished. I need to get back and reread at leisure, though I'll probably be doing it while translating. :tem

What we'd really need would be Korean raws for the series, or bar those Japanese ones (I'm pretty sure it was published in Japan also). So if anyone could help us with that, we'd be mightily grateful. None of us knows any Korean.

Finito

Reaction score

Siedhr said:
I was convinced it was Hwakyunk, not Ulfasso. In fact, I'm still not sure who that was.

Do you know when the last volume was published by any chance?
I believe its Ulfasso.

The copyright in my french volume 15 says the original volume 15 was published in 2004 and the french one in 2005.
Makes sense since he worked after Chunchu a little on a Final Fantasy project and then went on Jackals which just recently came out in 2006.

Siedhr

Reaction score
Country
Romania

Thanks for the info. Don't we know each other from KO-Scans forums, btw?

silverado

Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Are you looking for the Korean or Chinese RAW?

Siedhr

Reaction score
Country
Romania

silverado said:

Are you looking for the Korean or Chinese RAW?
It doesn't really matter what language they're in. We're more interested in the quality. The more HQ, the better. The scans we have now are really bad. The sample you posted is of a much better quality. Thank you again. :smile-big

GGpX

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Finito said:
Where on emule? I'm not too good with emule...

Finito

Reaction score

Alright do this, shouldn't be too long :

Go to this site: http://www.emulebdz.tk/ (French forum) and register.
Go to the *French* manga section.
Go in the 2nd thread stickied "INDEX des Mangas VF".
Find and click on Chonchu in the list. (Chunchu in French is spelled Chonchu)
At the bottom of the first post are the Emule links, just click to dl.

Or alternatively just search Chonchu in the Emule search bar and you'll find the volumes.

GGpX

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Merci <3

Neat forums.

Siedhr

Reaction score
Country
Romania

GGpX said:
Merci <3

Neat forums.
So I gather that you liked this. :tem

Some news about the releases: we're going to be rereleasing volume 1 and 2 as well, with our own scans and our own translations. It's not that we think Faction's releases aren't good enough, we'd just prefer to start from the beginning.

GGpX

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Re: Chunchu Discussion Thread

I haven't read it yet; Still waiting for it to download. ;/

Siedhr

Reaction score
Country
Romania

GGpX said:
I haven't read it yet; Still waiting for it to download. ;/
So you haven't read the scanlated chapters yet? I was wondering about those.

JoJoJO

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Jamaica

I was wondering are you going to release Chunchu by volume or by chapters and when are you going to release the next issue.

Siedhr

Reaction score
Country
Romania

JoJoJO said:
I was wondering are you going to release Chunchu by volume or by chapters and when are you going to release the next issue.
We're going to rerelease 1 and 2 as volumes. As from 3 onward, we haven't decided yet. Thing is that there's no clear delimitation between chapters in our raws, such as a cover page. It will depend on many factors, readers' demands being one of them. :tem

As to the first release, we don't really know ourselves. The raws we have are in a rather poor shape. So we're currently on a quest for better ones. Silverado has kindly agreed to help us but it will take about a month or two at best. I'd say three months till the first release, just to be on the safe side. But after that, the releases will come much faster. Unless, of course, we get a break and get the raws faster. ;)

GGpX

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Nah. I don't like switching from English to French in the middle of reading something. Much rather read it from French or English from the get-go.

andreafraize

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Re: Chunchu

the latest chapter of chunchu is N.18 , am i correct ??