Reading - Collective reading of NAUSICAÄ by Hayao MIYAZAKI | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Reading Collective reading of NAUSICAÄ by Hayao MIYAZAKI

ukimix

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
@TheBoss, then this collective reading has been useful. :-)

@k-dom, nice you join us :-)

raDar

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
Just finished volume 2.:zomg

OMG, shit are starting to get real. I love the whole idea of a messed up world humans brought to themselves, its clear Miyazaki reflects it to real life. All the shit about the war without them giving attention to what's more important---- the second coming of the Daikaisho--- reminded me of the situation of Westeros (A Song of Ice and Fire) with them playing the game of thrones neglecting the real threat which is the coming of winter and the Others. And talk about a prophecy about someone who's the last hope of humanity.

I was quite surprised at how the Doroks lured the Ohmus south of the acid lake. Just cruel. And I really want to see the three princes soon and what they're true intentions are. I'm quite convinced Kushana's on the good side here, and the sly Kurotowa seems like a spy from the Emperor?

Okay, I really enjoyed that volume, full of intense and happenings and since I really want to know what happens next I'm off to volume 3.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
It caught you! I'm in Vol 1 still. I like it, but I have watched the movie, so my eye stops in the differences, mainly. :-)

raDar

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
Yeah, actually it never caught me like this the first time I tried to read it. Mainly the reason I didn't continue 'til the end. All thanks to the collective reading I was forced to read it again, and maybe I could watch the movie now. I actually watched almost all of Miyazaki/Ghibli movies from Cagliostro to Arriety but skipped Nausicaa since I promised I'll read the manga first. :3c

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
I do love Miyazaki. I have had several avatars related to him. Shihiro and Howal's Castle are among my favorites movies.

raDar

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
Shihiro, you mean Spirited Away, right? Yeah, I liked that one too but I think my personal favorites are Princess Mononoke, Kiki's Delivery Service and Grave of the Fireflies. And Pom Poko, I think. I loved Howl's visual elements but got kinda lost with the story, I dunno a rewatch might be needed. Anyways, this is getting a bit off topic so I'll go search for that Studio Ghibli thread instead. :derp

TheBoss

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I watched Spirited Away when I was a kid, and I can say that some parts of it are pretty heavy for a kid xD

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I watched Spirited Away when I was a kid, and I can say that some parts of it are pretty heavy for a kid xD
All of Miyazaki´s movies have underlying themes that would transcend a child´s mind. That´s, among other things, the genius of Miyazaki, that he can integrate such essential themes such as Politics, Pacifism, Environmentalism, as well as even Feminism (not insinuated in a negative way) in such a child-friendly way.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Just finished reading volume 1. Here's a brief thought of mine, rather, my impression on the volume generally.

Okay, this is my second time reading this volume but then since it's been a long time ago, reading this still brought awe to me. Especially the world building that Miyazaki did. He sort of mixed all sorts of stuff like Industrial Revo with a touch of fantasy and doomsday and war and politics. What more could you wish for?

Though I admit Nausicaa isn't something easy to read since you really have to go through the pages really carefully since the drawing style was not like that of a conventional manga. IIRC, Miyazaki didn't use nib pens and inks or such but only pencils. Yes, PENCILS! So you will really get all confused with busy scenes like that of the sky battle at the latter part of volume 1.

Well there's really not much to say about the plot for now since volume 1 to me feels like just an introduction so I'll leave that for now. Off to volume 2!
I didn't know he uses pencils. Pretty awesome work. The guy is a genious.

The plot is just pretty complex. A lot of people with different interest made it a bit difficult to follow. I had to reread some pages, and possible I will have to step back again in the future. Anyway there is no doubt this is a great comic.

I'm looking forward to read more about Kushana's brothers and father.

Miyasaki heroes are mostly women. I only remember Sasuke from Ponio, as a male heroe in his movies.

TheBoss

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Ive finished reading a week ago, and I can say he left me wanting for more =\
Its so sad to see that nausicaa didnt come back to the valley of wind at the end, even if we know that she is happy living with the dorok and they need her help.

jakensama

MH Senpai
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The manga is a masterpiece, and I was just planning to re read it since I got the hardcover box set. So are we set on the reading schedule?
http://www.amazon.com/Nausica%C3%A4-Valley-Wind-Box-Set/dp/1421550644

The limited edition enlarged hardcover box set has just recently been restocked at amazon and is selling for 35 bucks. Highly recommend it if you are a fan.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
The manga is a masterpiece, and I was just planning to re read it since I got the hardcover box set. So are we set on the reading schedule?
http://www.amazon.com/Nausica%C3%A4-Valley-Wind-Box-Set/dp/1421550644

The limited edition enlarged hardcover box set has just recently been restocked at amazon and is selling for 35 bucks. Highly recommend it if you are a fan.
Wow, thank a lot for this information. I'm taking my decision about buying the englilsh version or the spanish one. The hardcover makes some points on favor of the english one. And it's not expensive at all.

Don't worry about the schedule. We are not using one, but only making our comments with spoiler tags, and with a previous title to explain what volume, the comment inside the spoiler tags, is about. In that way, you can read at your preferred pace, and at the same time you are free to post about what you want to, and when you want to. The first post of the thread explains it. You're very welcome to join us :)

jakensama

MH Senpai
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks ukimix!:) I understand now, I like the reading at your own pace idea. Look forward to reading more of everyone's thoughts and discussions!

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
I didn't remember that most of the theme of the manga were all already in the first volume. I understand that first readers can have find it fast pace then. In particular I thought that the forest purification was revealed later. The insects and the Omu is one theme that impress me the first time I read it and I find it still very original.
The volume also present 2 great female character. It's already rare for a shonen manga to have one, Nausicaa has 2 :-)

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
I didn't remember that most of the theme of the manga were all already in the first volume. I understand that first readers can have find it fast pace then. In particular I thought that the forest purification was revealed later. The insects and the Omu is one theme that impress me the first time I read it and I find it still very original.
The volume also present 2 great female character. It's already rare for a shonen manga to have one, Nausicaa has 2 :-)
I watched the movie some years ago, and I didn't remember Nausicaa having those kind of powers she has over the nature, that connection with it. I think the manga portrays that feature of her much more clearly, and I want to know more about his emotional connection with the Omus. Also I like the princess and specially her tender family.The film doesn't tell much about that family, and that was a shame. I hope to know more about them in the manga, and also about the kingdoms in war.

---------- Post added May 08, 2013 at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was April 30, 2013 at 01:07 AM ----------

This should win the award to the most tender scene:

I really enjoyed the tender look in the princess's eyes together with the line: "Now I really will have to kill you"

But talking seriously about tenderness this page is really great:

It deserved the place in my sig :hip

I really enjoyed the meeting between the brother of the emperor and the holy one. Also all that dimension of the spiritual powers:

I'm looking forward to see what else there is about it.

I have found difficult to follow the logic of all the rivalry between the enemies. The action is pretty intense and when I came back I see I have missed some things. So, I'm planning on rereading volume 3 very carefully... or I could follow to the following volume with the hope to understand all the story with the new revelations.

Note: Let me know if you can´t see the pics.

Last edited:

Ninja_Pirate

Reaction score
Country
India
I read all seven volumes in a go… went through again to some parts … And the whole concept was amazing… I just loved the manga and when I started reading it.. I just couldn't stop or take a break in between.. All was so well connected … the character development in the manga is also amazing … You will not even once feel that some incident or some character progress happened miraculously or all of a sudden … Everything was put in a very subtle way by the writer.. hats off

I didn't wirte any reviews earlier as I was mesmerized after finishing it.. and also by the time I finished I forgot what part was covered in which volume.. lol

It was the starting of the Manga and the stage was very properly set by the writer … In initial 4-5 pages only it was described from the mouth of the central character with the shell of Ohmu that how magnificent Ohmu is

Then I liked how the main character was initially shown as not being able to control its anger and what are her capabilities when it comes to combat and readers get the fair idea that even being a small girl she is not the one to be taken lightly… Also her relation with the insects was also emphasized in volume 1 itself.

I also liked the fact that apart from the main character the other characters were also emphasized on equally and it never felt that “oh I wanted to know more about that character” … The justice was done to all the characters …

Here the concept of Tourmouken army trying to take over dorks land was introduced and the major people from Dorks land were shown… Who were ready to go to any extent for Tormouken army to be wiped out…

The Dorok prophecy: "And that one shall come to you garbed in raiment of blue and descending upon a field of gold..." was revealed and how the same was connected to our lovely nausicaa the princess … When the prophecy was mentioned just for a slight bit in volume one I didn't even think about it … But when the same was revealed it sounded just so obvious to connect the main character with the prophecy .. I think what clouded the mind was the fact that the central character is a female… And I just loved it … I got goose bumps when the scene happened in the manga… when Nausicaa has shown that how over protective she is towards the insects and how important the living things around you are… everyone on this planet has a purpose…

After the prophecy, it was also emphasized that how the central character can influence others with her actions and at the end of the day it also has shown some similarity between insects and humans … Not that insects are like human but the vice versa… Showing kindness to humans also finally can pay off by them doing a selfless deed… Like the priest who was initially shown as a stubborn and merciless person but ended up giving his life for nausicaa… Because she proved how she fits in the idealism of the priest…

Also learnt about the evil elder brother… He just sounded like the pure form of evil… Who sould have killed Nausicaa if it wasn't for the Priest…

Now when we have fairly got the idea of Nausicaa as the saviour grabbed in raiment of blue… She finally enters in the mid of the catastrophe .. She got forced to enter the battle…. And the kind side of her was shown … I would not say she started understanding her role and not be a killing machine but I would say that it has been portrayed very well that she started feeling what she has to do …

How Nausicaa handled the war situation was outstanding … She did it … She was awesome .. She didn't kill anyone even fighting against an army … This was the volume when I truly got in love with the character Nausicaa … Respect grew to a different level … I forgot she is the princess… what remains is .. yes .. she can save the world somehow … I was wishing for some super power growing in her so that she can just do it… Thank god writer didn't get in such emotional flow .. haha …

The sad part was… Nausicaa’s Kie died … And died in a great way … I almost saluted the brave horse…

I don’t know what to say… Was so frustrated on Dorok’s idiotic plan of releasing the mold on the ground … It sounded so selfish and stupid….. One of the thing that happens in manga is to generate hatred for the evil or for the villain … and it developed pretty good in this volume … The kings elder brother .. the Dorok in whole … And once again another priest has fallen to Nausicaa’s resolve …

It is worth noting that when I am talking about volumes I am not concentrating on Torumekian’s princess, even though she playing fairly a good part in all this… she has been portrayed strong… But what was lacking in her character was wisdom…. And that's one of the reason she can be left out in whole of the manga… The only good thing she did is… She dragged Nausicaa in the middle of everything …

Last edited:

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
This is so painful, and makes of Kushana a remarkable character:

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Yeah, that was very touching and made her quite a tragic character especially considering how the rest of the family feels about her.

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
OK I'm a bit late but I finished rereading Nausicaa a few days ago after being back from holidays. That was quite nice actually because I didn't remember the plot in great details.
What I probably like the most in this manga is how the characters are written. Beside Nausicaa, all of them are grey. Those you think are bad almost always show a much more complex personality. A nice example would be the worm masters. In the beginning they are just stupid smelly beasts in the last volume they are shown really respectful of the nature and even if they may be simple minded their devotion to Nausicaa was touching. This is really well resumed by her last actions. She doesn't want to live in world for perfect beings, she wants to live with humans with their qualities and defaults.
Also it is quite rare to have a manga with such important female characters. And even if Nausicaa shadows a bit everyone at the end, Kushana remains to me one of the best character of the serie.