Predictions - Conspiracy Theory: Is Gol D Roger Alive? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Predictions Conspiracy Theory: Is Gol D Roger Alive?

Is Gol D Roger Alive?

• Yes, he is!

• No, he's dead!

• I'm not sure...

Results are only viewable after voting.

LaXuS23

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
note: I used dates b4 the timeskip

At the end of the skypeia we found about the existence of the second ancient weapon,
Poseidon, and later a note apparently from Gol D Roger saying "We came here, found the text and followed its guidance".

http://www.mangareader.net/103-2408-12/one-piece/chapter-301.html

The note implies that the Roger Pirates visited skypeia and left the note,however did he really visited it. According to Gan Fall apparently "20 years ago" there was a guest and he suspects that he must have written it, however is Roger still alive 20 years ago?, because he was executed 22 years ago, so clearly oda was giving us misleading information about who wrote the note, unless if Roger is still alive.

So who wrote the note and why. My answer is that Robin's father wrote it and not gol d roger. First of all the pirate king did not know the ancient language so even though he has the ability to hear all things, it is impossible for him to write the passage using the ancient language. He could have use their universal language and not the ancient one. This means that the message is meant for people capable to read the poneglyph, which are the scholars of ohara, however 20 years ago they were purged using the buster call and robin was the sole survivor, she has a bounty even though she was still a child. Robin's father must have thought that she can read the ancient language and left note in "poneglyphs" not only in the sky island(maybe), to encourage her to continue her journey because even though the poneglyph's only have information about the ancient weapons he knows that following it will lead her to the truth of the void century. Which would mean that the writer must have discovered the truth of the void century by conquering the grandline, this could mean that Robin's father must have been in roger's crew or at least the writer, since all of them knew about it.

As for why, Robin's father did not know about her existence until he discovered about her bounty( Or the very least he thought she was living peacefully). 26 years ago roger started his final voyage, also approximately 26 years ago olivia also left to fulfill his husband's dream in learning the void century by looking for poneglyphs.( robin is 2 years old) This would imply that his father left for a jorney and thought to have died. So approximately 30 years ago, robin's parents are together and he left her when she was pregnant, 29 years ago. He may have joined the roger pirated along their journey and kept it secret that he is from ohara. After conquering the grandline, the roger pirates disbanded because of roger's illness, and after that roger was executed. First of all we all suspect that one piece is related to the void century, or at the very least when you reached raftel there are information about the void century. Which would mean that the WOrld government is more concerned about people reaching raftel rather that finding one piece. As of now we all know that one piece is not a treasure since buggy is not interested to it, or does it even exist?.. However since raftel exist there is the possibility that anyone that reaches it can discover the truth of the void century even without the ability to read the poneglyph. SO maybe One piece is the bait to encourage the people to find raftel. That is if raftel itself is not "One piece"

Conclusion. Oda gave us misleading information so people should suspect more about the identity of the writer rather than believing that it was roger who wrote it since it will create inconsistencies and plot holes, or Roger is really alive

one last thing it is also possible that it was rayleigh who wrote the note, SO maybe Rayleigh is Robin's father ^^^^. 20 years ago hachi saved him when he shipwrecked at sea,, so maybe he jump from skypeia to the ocean.

Last edited:

0Xellos

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Slovakia
Roger alive?
He was seen executed. By many people.

That still doesn't cause a plot hole. It's not like Gan Fall is some fanatic historian who gives all dates precisely. Rounding numbers to values that we can remember and that do actually matter is common practice IRL. Take it as "about 20 years ago, I don't remember exactly when".

Robin's dad wut? :cookiestare The character hasn't been introduced, there has been nearly no mention of him at all, so your story about him is fanfic - it has no relation to the canon whatsoever.

And Rayleigh being Robin's dad deserves another cookie monster. :cookiestare Fanfic, really. Ok, not really: it doesn't fit in with Oda's level of portaying characters' emotions. I'm sure he wouldn't have made Robin's reunion with her father anything but packed with emotions (at least hidden and from her father's side). Jumping down from that height also seems a bit far-fetched, even for OP.

Roger can understand what's written on the poneglyphs, precisely because he can hear the "voices". You're pretty much saying Oda is bullshitting us there, as it was stated that way in the manga, and even without any solid proof other than Gan Fall being senile. :invalid

Come to think of it, my reply could've just consisted of spoilered memes and MH smileys, while not losing content and being equally long :derp

Last edited:

Sadaharu

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I wanted to create a new thread, but since I saw an existing thread I shall post here.

Reading the SBS in the most recent One Piece Volume (82), it made my suspicion even stronger:
Gol. D. Roger is still alive.

Hint 1:
Oda mentioned Roger's age in the recent SBS.

For those who doesn't understand Japanese, let me translate:

D: Oda-sensei, since you are the author of One Piece, have you worn one-piece before? Also, please tell me the age of Silvers Rayleigh.
P.N. Jabras Rayleigh

O: I always wear one-piece when drawing my manga. Rayleigh is 78 years' old. Also just to mention, Roger is 77, Garp is 78, Sengoku is 79, and Otsuru is 76.

Notice how Oda casually mentioned Roger's age in the above SBS. Would you mention the age of a person who is dead? Even if you do, you would say "if he/she were alive, he/she would be xx years' old", right?

IMO, the above SBS was a very subtle way by Oda of hinting that Roger is actually alive. If not, maybe he just intended to confuse us.

Hint 2:
Momonosuke has met Roger.

In Chapter 820, Momonosuke casually mentioned how he has seen Roger before, but he doesn't remember it well.
Many people mentioned that maybe he is talking about Ace instead of Roger, but why would he have met Ace who is not related to him?
IMO, he has really met Roger in person, because Roger is still alive.

Hint 3:
Roger is waiting for somebody.

In Chapter 576, Whitebeard mentioned how Roger IS waiting for somebody. Now, if a person is already dead, would you say he is waiting for somebody? I think it would be more natural to say "he/she WAS waiting for somebody". I checked the original Japanese manga, and it was also in the present tense. Seems unnatural, isn't it? Maybe Roger is really still alive, and he is still waiting for somebody.

Of course, many people saw Roger being executed 22 years ago, hence exactly how he is still alive I will leave it to your imaginations. I really don't think Oda will leave the above hints without any intentions, unless I am thinking too much. Please comment if you have seen other hints, or if you have any other related theories!

Last edited by a moderator:

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
I wanted to create a new thread, but since I saw an existing thread I shall post here.

Reading the SBS in the most recent One Piece Volume (82), it made my suspicion even stronger:
Gol. D. Roger is still alive.

Hint 1:
Oda mentioned Roger's age in the recent SBS.

For those who doesn't understand Japanese, let me translate:

D: Oda-sensei, since you are the author of One Piece, have you worn one-piece before? Also, please tell me the age of Silvers Rayleigh.
P.N. Jabras Rayleigh

O: I always wear one-piece when drawing my manga. Rayleigh is 78 years' old. Also just to mention, Roger is 77, Garp is 78, Sengoku is 79, and Otsuru is 76.

Notice how Oda casually mentioned Roger's age in the above SBS. Would you mention the age of a person who is dead? Even if you do, you would say "if he/she were alive, he/she would be xx years' old", right?

IMO, the above SBS was a very subtle way by Oda of hinting that Roger is actually alive. If not, maybe he just intended to confuse us.

Hint 2:
Momonosuke has met Roger.

In Chapter 820, Momonosuke casually mentioned how he has seen Roger before, but he doesn't remember it well.
Many people mentioned that maybe he is talking about Ace instead of Roger, but why would he have met Ace who is not related to him?
IMO, he has really met Roger in person, because Roger is still alive.

Hint 3:
Roger is waiting for somebody.

In Chapter 576, Whitebeard mentioned how Roger IS waiting for somebody. Now, if a person is already dead, would you say he is waiting for somebody? I think it would be more natural to say "he/she WAS waiting for somebody". I checked the original Japanese manga, and it was also in the present tense. Seems unnatural, isn't it? Maybe Roger is really still alive, and he is still waiting for somebody.

Of course, many people saw Roger being executed 22 years ago, hence exactly how he is still alive I will leave it to your imaginations. I really don't think Oda will leave the above hints without any intentions, unless I am thinking too much. Please comment if you have seen other hints, or if you have any other related theories!

When I read the recent SBS, I thought it was strange that Roger's age was mentioned. Not that it can't due to the person who was dead, but it seemed so natural to mention among others such as Rayleigh who had been part of Roger's crew. Though it raises some doubts on whether Roger is alive or not, it is still a difficult theory to grasp since Roger's execution was done with and everyone thought he was killed then.

All in all, it is more like a "wait and see" and if Oda is thinking of reviving Roger. Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing Roger as a "live" person rather than "dead", but it will be painful if his son, Ace, remains "dead", or even his wife. (You know what I mean?) I can imagine how he is going to feel when he comes to know of his wife and son being dead. Oh... it would be very, very sad for him...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for sharing your interesting idea, trunterzx! :^_^

I didn't expect to see a post in our archive library, but I'm glad that I check all the various sub-sections often to spot yours and to bring the thread to life. (Yay!! :smile-big) Please do send us a PM if there is any thread that you are interested in and to be revived back to the main section.

Cheers! :)

GodOfDestruction

Reaction score
Country
United States
To me Roger is still alive. If you read the wiki about Absolute Justice. It says that how Roger was executed was never told. In the anime he was stabbed but that was a filler moment. In the 4kids he was hung. But there is no official way saying how he was executed.

Roger may be on Raftel. And he knows who will make it there. He is just waiting.

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
It can be interesting to have a (little) plot twist by bringing Roger back to life. We have Sabo as an example. Who knows what is in Oda's mind? Does Roger remain "dead" or should he be revived?

As a matter of fact, I'd like to have a spin-off story of Roger. In that, we will be able to know what kind of person he is, his hometown, families (multiple wives, :teehee etc), his adventures as a pirate with his crew, and so on.

Hannibal Psyche

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Roger being alive would be awful in my opinion. Death inspires, and is in a sense a form of immortality. When Roger spoke about dreams, he more or less juxtaposed the longevity of dreams whereas man decays. A man will die, but a dream will live on. Calgara died 400 yeas ago, yet, 400 years after, someone or a group has suddenly revived that dream. Roger's death is symbolic, and should remain that way, it becomes a comic if he's alive and takes away from the symbolism, and eradicates the depth and dimensions added.

I'm personally certain Roger died, or else, there'd be rumours he were alive and one of the elite pirates would surely have known it was faked if it were true. Irregardless of how his death was portrayed, the Anime may have shown him being stabbed, Manga might show a decapitation, but I'm sure the inconsistency is to do with what's acceptable for TV and for kids to view.

Sadaharu

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I think the difference between Roger and Ace is that we knew a lot about Ace and we also watched him die, whereas we don't know much about Roger and only heard from people about his execution. He is still very much shrouded in mystery, and I'm sure when the time comes there will be a flashback dedicated to him.

I believe the execution was real, but I also don't think Oda would suddenly mention his age so naturally without meaning anything. Maybe he ate a devil fruit similar to that of Revive-Revive Fruit? Or maybe he's still "alive" in terms of spirits? If Oda wants to dive into the world of spirits that is...

Seeing how Brook is able to separate his spirit from his body, it may not be totally impossible...

Zehahaha

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Roger being alive is disgusting, first it would make Marines look like incompetent fools, since they couldn't even make sure if the guy is dead or not
It is true we do not know how he was killed (beheaded, stabbed, etc), so it may be possible he received the Perennial Youth operation somehow and survived being stabbed, but that would defeat the whole point of his execution and how his death gave birth to the pirate age

Second, if he's alive and let his son die in front of his eyes, then he's one big son of a bitch at the same level as DD, moreso if he's immortal
Third, the hints you put there are interesting true (they remind of Shimabukuro's hints in Toriko honestly), but I still find them somewhat weak but nonetheless good job catching that

I think it is Joy Boy who is still alive somewhere not Roger tho

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Good catch at the SBS and Momonosuke's talk. If Roger is alive, he may as well be this mysterious person:

Sadaharu

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Good catch at the SBS and Momonosuke's talk. If Roger is alive, he may as well be this mysterious person:

Ah thanks for the reminder! I totally forgot about this mysterious person... Yes, he is indeed very suspicious.

To bring up another hint:

Roger's last words to Rayleigh was "I'm not gonna die." Funny for a person who is going to get executed saying those kind of things, isn't it? At first I thought this meant something cliche like, "I will always stay in your hearts", "my legacy will carry on" etc, but now that I think about it... What if it meant something else?
What if it really meant.... that he was not going to die?

I think Oda is best at dropping this kind of weak hints (like how he briefly mentioned Sanji was from North Blue), so I don't think all these hints don't mean anything. Hope we can find out some more in this upcoming fight against Kaido.

Zehahaha

Reaction score
Country
Morocco

Always thought this guy would be Oden or that Bronze guy mentioned before