Anime - D.Gray-man Anime Licensed | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Anime D.Gray-man Anime Licensed

Which company could do the best, absolute great job with D.Gray-man?

• A.D.Vision

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Bandai Entertainment USA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bandai Visual USA

• Central Park Media

• FUNimation

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Geneon Animation

• ImaginAsian TV/TMS Classics

• Kadokawa U.S.A.

• Media Blasters/AnimeWorks

• The RightStuf Int'l

• VIZ Media

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • OTHER (PLEASE SPECIFY)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheMP3000

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I pose this question because I can't wait until D.Gray-man is licensed and dubbed. I am unable to see fansubs because of circumstances beyond my control. I've done this survey elsewhere with outstanding results, the previous poll had an astounding 66% for Funimation. A.D.Vision in 2nd with 14%. Geneon in 3rd with 11% and VIZ Media in 4th with 9%.

I'm sure a lot of people don't want D.Gray-man dubbed, but it's going to happen. I'm sure lots of people don't want D.Gray-man licensed. It's going to happen. So I pose the inevitable question... who would YOU like to see acquire D.Gray-man for R1 release?

Please consider the following factors when making your decision:
1. Dub Cast - do you want a NY, Ocean, NewGen, Bang Zoom, FUNi, ADV or Odex dub?
2. DVD Extras and Artbox - Do you want lots of extras and an artbox (like what they have for R2s or more even) or just DVD-only?
3. Release Schedule - Every month, every 2 months or every 3-4 months?
4. Video/Audio(I know of videophiles/audiophiles) - Is the video and audio perfect/acceptable or poor/unacceptable?
5. Dub, Sub or BOTH - Dub only? Sub only? Both? Which one do you want?

The Point: Which company could do the best, absolute great job with D.Gray-man?

Please Recall at Anime Boston I believe, that D.Gray-man was still being "shopped around", so some of the choices might be unrealistic, but very possible.

Last edited:

Djmewmew

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Who do you want to license/dub D.Gray-man? Who could do the best job?

Hee. I was at AB <D There were plans to show DGM, subbed, but they never even did that D: Dur. Don't buy dubs a lot anymore, so I don't know enough about these companies to make a expert descision, but based on what I've got for anime, I rather like the work ADV does. *votes? >w<;;;;;*

Siru

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

I really wouldn't mind it dubbed, actually I would. ^^' It'd help DGM a lot in the US.

Magical Poof

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

I'd have to say FUNimation, purely for the fact that the FUNimation channel is the only anime channel I get. Although, they show competlely shit shows. I think the entire line-up consists of only eight (completely ancient) shows. All day. Every day. D:

Maybe if I hope, I'll actually get to see a show I want to... ;_;

brightdreamer

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

I think as far as general dub quality and release value, I'd have to go with ADV. I don't think I've been disappointed with any of their recent dubs. Funi would probably be a close second... though they've screwed up in the past, they've done all right with others (such as Fruits Basket).

Just for the love of God, not Viz. >_<

rhapsody blue

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States

It's confirmed! FUNimation has licensed D.Gray-man and even has an offical website.

The anime will be released in 2009.

*EDIT* I updated the thread title :)

Last edited:

_Tsunayoshi_

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sweet. Can't wait to see it.

ZeRO_

Reaction score
Country
United States
lets hope it turns out to be good dubbed

Crude

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I'm glad Funimation is doing the dub. They've done a lot of good dubs.

Shaddix

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
I wanna hear the dubs, and if I like them I'll buy it better that the spanish version which I'm sure will suck...

vintagemistakes

Vintage Reboot
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I probably won't like the dubbed version just like every other show that gets licensed... I get so used to hearing the Japanese voices that the dubbed version just ends up annoying me.

rhapsody blue

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anime News Network has posted info on FUNimation's panel at Anime Central 2008.

Then came the big announcement: Funimation had secured the license for Studio Gonzo's Romeo X Juliet, which will be released in the spring of 2009 in a pair of half-season box sets. [Adam] Sheehan [FUNimation events manager] had even more up his sleeve, stating that a website, funimation.com/announcement, had been created for fans to enter a contest to guess the company's impending seventh announcement. While fans in the room buzzed with excitement over what else the company could have in the pipeline, those with internet access would discover the not-so-well-kept secret that the company had added the hotly anticipated D.Gray-man to its lineup.

Gadwin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive beed dreading this for a long long time and now its here.
D.Gray-man...dubbed

I cant say that im happy, i just dont want them to screw this up
Heres the things theyll do thatll annoy me:
1. Pick stupid voice actors ( I can already hear Allen's typical US VA)
even if it is good therell be at least one voice thatll annoy me

2. Change things - D.Gray-man has mild religious influence, FUNImation will probably change that

3. Edit the age group - Depending on what FUNImation see the age group for D.Gray-man is, it could change the whole tone of the series

I just HOPE HOPE HOPE theyll do this right

There is a good thing though, when its out on dvd ill be able to watch it with original voices, subbed

rhapsody blue

Reaction score
Country
United States
The dubbing company has improved a lot since the '90s so I don't think the dubbing will be atrocious. I know that the Japanese producer for Code Geass helped pick the dubbing voice actors while one of the Japanese producers of Bleach flew over here and provided input. I don't think they will edit the religious references in the DVDs, but they might if they air it on television; if it does air on tv, it will probably be in Adult Swim. I highly doubt that FUNimation will edit the age group; they did not do that for Fullmetal Alchemist nor for any other anime. FUNimation is smart enough not to do that; besides they have greatly improved the dubbing of One Piece after the company acquired it from 4Kids.

FUNimation has posted a press release about their acquisition of D.Gray-man.

FUNimation® Entertainment today officially announces that it has acquired DVD, digital, licensing and broadcast rights to 51 episodes of the anime series D. Gray-Man from Dentsu. Japan's TV Tokyo has aired the series since 2006.

The D. Gray-Man storyline was adapted from the gothic "D Gray-man" manga series by Katsura Hoshino, first serialized in 2004 in Weekly Shonen Jump. The anime was directed by Nabeshima Osamu and produced by TMS Entertainment.

"D. Gray-Man is not only wildly popular in Japan, it is one of the most anticipated series by U.S. anime fans," said Gen Fukunaga, president and CEO at FUNimation Entertainment. "Fans have been speculating about this title for years and we are pleased to be the ones to bring it to them."

About D Gray-man
Allen Walker is a young boy who is a member of The Black Order; a secretive organization whose members are known as Exorcists. The Order's primary mission is to stop The Millennium Earl, an ancient being who intends to 'cleanse' the world by destroying all life on it.
Exorcists are specially chosen humans who are gifted with the ability to control and use Innocence, a divine substance created in ages past to combat the Earl and his minions.
The Millennium Earl is aided in his plans by The Noah Clan, humans who are direct descendants of Noah himself, and commands an army of demonic creatures called Akuma to do his bidding. Since Akuma can impersonate humans and blend in with society, Exorcists are routinely assigned to track down and eliminate them. Allen is the only exorcist able to see through the Akuma's disguise.
Japan takes center stage in this end of 19th Century set battle between the Millennium Earl and the Exorcists – who have God on their side.

FUNimation Entertainment will release the first volume of the D. Gray-Man anime series in early 2009.

Last edited:

rhapsody blue

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anime News Network has posted Voice Actors List for the French and Spanish dubs. It took FUNImation several months to post the voice actors for Ouran High School Host Club so I have a feeling that we will not see the voice actor list for the English dubs until at least the end of the year,

poisonivy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am interested to see the dubbed version, but I don't think anything can beat the japanese version.

I am happy about buying it on DVD, though.

Fallen.

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm hoping it doesn't end up like bleach,hopefully they'll find voices that fit the characters naturally.
Btw they better have a good cross voice actor,the japanese one is cool when he says arrow of original sin >.>

Pumpkin

Reaction score
Country
Germany
D.Gray-man should stay the way it was ~ japanese-only-
as long as there are good subs I dont need some badly done dub~ they often ruin the whole feeling of the Anime especially the characters..

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess I will post the information here. You can now preorder D.Gray-man - Season 1 Part 1, which will contain episodes 1 to 13. It will also have an English and a Japanese tracks along with English subtitles.

The DVD will be out on March 31st.
<hr noshade size="1">
Some dubbing info has been posted. Todd Haberkorn will voice Allen Walker while Travis Willingham is the voice of Lavi and Kanda. No information has been released about the rest so far.

Here is the complete list of the dubbed VAs. Credit goes to lj user hikamitz.

Allen Walker: Todd Haberkorn
Lenalee Lee: Luci Christian
Yu Kanda: Travis Willingham
Lavi/Millennium Earl: Jason Liebrecht
Miranda Lotto: Colleen Clinkenbeard
Komui Lee: J Michael Tatum
Reever Wenhamm: Chuck Huber
Hevslaka: Wendy Powell
Road Kamelot: Cherami Leigh
Lero: Monica Rial
Tyki Mikk: Brad Hawkins
Skinn Bolic: Sonny Strait