Shounen - Death Note by Ohba Sugumi & Obata Takeshi | Page 28 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Death Note by Ohba Sugumi & Obata Takeshi

gela

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Re: L's REAL NAME!!!!!

sounds like a girls name to me...

but then, its just a name.

no big deal realy, its just what was written on his birth certificate - its not like he ever used it.

gela

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Re: What would you do with the Death Note??

I wouldn't use it...

I can't even kill spiders.. thats how much of a hippy I am

Redsrevenge

Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Favorite character?

L is my favorite, for all the reasons listen above, but what won me over was when he said (something like) "I have to sit like this or I can't concentrate." Since I was a little kid, I have always had to sit like that to think if I'm sitting in a chair (i can sit on the floor just fine.) I would always get yelled at/weird looks at school. A kindred spirit! It's a pity that I can rarely eat sweets anymore, with my teeth so destroyed... No word on the froggy eyes yet ;)

Coming in for a close second is Rem. I literally squealed out loud when it was revealed "he" is actually a she. It's just so very rare to find badass female characters in anime manga; this is the reason I read very little of it these days (but there's some good shit out there.) Not halfnaked, no breasts, doesn't squeal and fall pointlessly in love with random men, and is competent? Go Japan! There is hope for you yet. Plus, her design is awesome.

Finally, I really don't understand the love for Light; could someone explain please? I'm not knocking you, I'm just curious. For me, his personality was a huge turnoff. It was fun watching him slowly go psycho, but it got tedious after awhile. Watching him commit an endless deluge of despicable acts (murders, manipulations, two-timing, etc.) did not help things. He is moderately likable when he loses his memory, but as he immediately goes back to being Kira when he regains his memory, it doesn't say much for him. I can like evil characters (such as Envy from Fullmetal Alchemist), but it seemed to me that Light did NOTHING but be evil... he had no other personality. He didn't joke, he didn't fall in love, he rarely smiled unless it was psychotic. The only emotion I really saw from him was toward his family.

Also cashing in on the Ryuuk love ;)

Redsrevenge

Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Death Note Page 108 (Series End) Discussion

I agree that the second half -and even in places, the first half- was too big for its britches. I read the last third or so of Death Note in one sitting, and the constant speculation of Team LNMOPetc. and Team Kira got tedious and unbelievable. Page after PAGE of "If I were Bob and I knew that I were Steve, how would I act to convince Mary, assuming I'm suspecting her of being Linda and not Bubba-Sue, to act around Batman? (or should I eat this strawberry cake." It wouldn't have been so horrible to read if, about 95% of the time, we already knew everything they were talking about. It does not make for an exciting read. But then again, it's a syndicated story, and you have to fill up space.

That said, I enjoyed the ending, because I really, reeeally hate Light. It was fun to slowly watch him crash and burn, and watching him go completely over the edge, even in a slightly cliched manner, was immensely satisfying. Plus, Matsuda got his moment of brains! If only Misa weren't such a moron. Oh well.

Redsrevenge

Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: What Would You Do If Killer Was Real?

Die. Very, very quickly.

gela

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Re: What Would You Do If Killer Was Real?

Id find a nice cave to hide in

gela

Reaction score
Country
Australia

L no.1
misa no.2

ppl say shes annoying, but I like her

Tressflin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Where to download...?

there was some HQ chapters out there from the first volumes *Tw did some and Aku tenshi and a few other groups but they never did much

I've searched for a while at many different places but haven't been able to find these. I know it'll be MQ in the middle for a while, but I'd still like as much HQ as I can get my hands on. Does anyone by any chance have the TW/Aku-tenshi scans on his computer and would be willing to upload it somewhere? (I only have TW's Ch.1 that many places have packaged as Volume 1 [orangetangerine].)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

0r0chimaru

Reaction score
Country
Peru

1. L
2. Near
3. Ryuk
4. Mello

=p

kanpyo7

Reaction score
Country
United States

This was a good series, but I didn't like the whole aspect of "nothingness after death" really big minus for the whole series.

2ndKurono

Banned
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation

i think it would have been better if Light won against Near and killed everyone in dat yelow box it would be way more interesting.

Sheard

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

1. Light / Kira
I have a love-hate relationship with this character. When he's not under the influence of the Death Note, he's truly a good person and very enthusiastic about trying to capture Kira (even though it's himself.) Yet when he's Kira, he's just cold and ruthless. It's interesting to see that even someone that is incredibly intelligent like Light that you would think would be smart enough to know better would easily become corrupted by the Death Note.

2. Matsuda
He really does seem like the one innocent character in Death Note. He's may be working to fight against Kira but at the same time does recognize that Light/Kira is essentially lowering the crime right far more effectively than the police. He also gets more humorous moments than the other characters.

3. Mello
Until volume 12, I thought he was just a freak with a chocolate fetish. After reading vol 12 (thus finishing the series,) I think that he's a freak with a chocolate fetish that is far more worth to be L's successor than Near.

The only characters I found myself outright disliking were Near and Misa. Near reminds me too much of Light at times, only Near isn't being corrupted by the Death Note and is just being himself. It's a bit creepy thinking about it.

Misa I dislike just because of how stupid she is. She probably gave L far more clues about Kira's identity than Light did plus that she allowed herself to be used so much, like tossing aside then taking shinigami eyes multiple times and cutting her lifespan in half each time. Plus she remains devoted to Light no matter how much he neglects her or acts psychotic.

Zwivix

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Mexico

I would probably kill anyone who i ever hated!!!!!

What else would anyone do wit it?; )

Bloodgear

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Heh. I'd definately use it for a bit of both. Personal gain and ridding the world of it's poison.

If I never knew of Death Note, but found the notebook then the same thing that Light did, I would also do. Test it. I'd also let someone else get the Eyes. Although it would be tempting to get them.

pirate-hitman:L

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Another Death Note?

I was searching Amazon whem I came across this book:
Death Note: Lethally Fun Facts, Mysteries and Secrets Revealed
It didn't have a summary, but it comes out on Sept. 15th and is by an american author. What is it?

ssjohn

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Another Death Note?

Okay here is what i found on it

Apparently, even Death Note isn't immune to having an unofficial guide book published. The book is called Death Note: Lethally Fun Facts, Mysteries and Secrets Revealed and is by Walt Wyman, Sian Carr, and Kazuhisa Fujie. Checking their background on other books they've taken part in, it seems like they're all part of a series of guide books for various anime (Naruto, FMA, etc...).

Though, from my own personal experience, these books seem to be part fact and part speculation, bringing up some things that you'd expect to be pulled straight from some forum (no offense, forumers). Then again, a text heavy series like Death Note might benefit from a guide book like this...

Here's the amazon.com link if you feel like pre-ordering, but if I were you, I'd wait until it comes out in stores so I can at least leaf through it before making a final purchasing decision.
Now my suggestion --

If you want all this info read it online or buy Death note Volume 13 : How To Read which is coming out soon and if its like the japanese version it will have the one shot that started the whole series :)

pirate-hitman:L

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Another Death Note?

I'd rather have #13 anyday. I also want the novel.

Serieth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I'd kill all emos, chavs and city fans, :D

ShinobiWrath

Reaction score
Country
United States

Ryuk- Aside from his great design Ryuk's personality is just likable. What I like most about him is his sometimes out of the blue, ironic remarks. He's definately one of the more humorous characters.

L/Ryuzaki/Ryuga- Everything about him is perplexing. You can never predict his next move and he always saw through Kira's strategies and countered them. He was amazing to have been killed off so early.

Light- Persistence is the key factor to getting what you want. Although it didn't work out in the end he kept going and allowed nothing to hold him back, not even his family. He is cold I'll admit but I admire persistence a lot which is Why Kira goes down as my top Villain.

radical3113

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

of course my favorite character is L