Games - Demon Souls / Dark Souls I / II, prepared to die ? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Games Demon Souls / Dark Souls I / II, prepared to die ?

BobobVanBlob

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France
Because well, I don't want to spam the RPG thread and well, there is no "Souls" serie thread in there, I'm creating one.

Plus we have the next one coming up in a few weeks (months ?), so maybe people want a place to talk about it ?

And well, did some person try the beta on the PS3 ? (I don't have one, and I'm thinking about buying one, to test all the exclusivities it had)

Okay, and it was also to give my 100th post to these games... And also discuss about the different theories about the Lore.

Do you think Dark Souls 2 takes place after the "linking the fire" end or the "dark lord" end ?

I personally think it takes place after the second ending, knowing that anyway, one day, the flame will fade, and only dark will remain.

PS : I hate upper-blightown !

Last edited by a moderator:

KingOfNight

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Why didn't I know this thread exists? :arf This is unbelievable!

Anyway, I read somewhere that DS2 takes place after the Dark Lord ending, in the Age of Darkness.

Everybody hates upper Blighttown. It's why the Master Key exists.

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Namco Bandai just announced weapons and armor bonuses for those who preorder the game.

---------- Post added February 20, 2014 at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was February 12, 2014 at 07:08 PM ----------

A new trailer:

KingOfNight

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Love how they are basically explaining how to play this game to those who think it's an "unfair" game. Doing it in an epic way no less.

P.S Iron Tarkus FTW!

---------- Post added February 26, 2014 at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was February 21, 2014 at 06:34 AM ----------

More information about how Dark Souls II will be:

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is an interesting read on how Demon Souls/Dark Souls influence other games.

BobobVanBlob

Reaction score
Country
France
To all the Americans/Canadians who will play Dark Souls on console, in 24 Hours, I'll hate all of you... For the Europeans and Asians, just a few days left.

If like me, you play on PC, we just have 45 days of waiting left...

More seriously, have fun, just two things interesting me, tell me if there is a weapon like the claymore or the claymore available in the game (the moveset was awesome) and if the pyromancy is still nice to handle.

Have fun !

KingOfNight

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Just got it! Turns out it came in my country about 2 days ago.

Finally...:3c

EDIT: After playing for a little bit, here's what I think so far.

Combat seems very "meh" compared to the first Dark Souls. The world(Dranglic) is very beautiful to say the least, and the story seems just about similar to previous games. The menu is quite an eyesore, it's really bothering me for some reason. A couple of new concepts, some I think are nice, others I think are bad.

Last edited:

BobobVanBlob

Reaction score
Country
France
Combat seems very "meh" compared to the first Dark Souls. The world(Dranglic) is very beautiful to say the least, and the story seems just about similar to previous games. The menu is quite an eyesore, it's really bothering me for some reason. A couple of new concepts, some I think are nice, others I think are bad.
It seems that boosting adaptability makes the fighting more interesting (boosts action speed in general), can you post a screenshot of the menu, so that I can puke a bit ?

Oh and tell me what you don't like, it seems that pyromancy is now linked to intelligence and faith, which is disappointing, I liked my mix Claymore/Pyromancy...

KingOfNight

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

Not my picture by the way :/

I don't know why, but it just bothers me...

I took an interest in Adaptability right off the bat and started increasing it almost every time I level up.

The the exchange of blows between normal enemies is annoying as you may get hit when you think you've dodged. And it doesn't feel as smooth(for the lack of a better word) as it did in the first Dark Souls. There's a couple of enemies that jump you around every freaking corner, which is kind of annoying if done too many times. Estus Flasks aren't what they used to be :( There's also the weapon durability. Both weapons have a bar below them that is reduced after every hit(even against walls) and you must rest at a Bonefire to repair it. Though it needs a blacksmith if fully broken. It runs awfully quickly that I had to abandon a level and Homeward Bone to fix it. Also, maybe it's just me, but the animation for some things seem to have really went down. For one, when a fire bomb explodes, it's like an expansion of redness instead of the normal fire in Dark Souls. Projectiles that are fired by enemies in general, are just terribly animated compared to the first game.

As for Bosses, I've fought three so far. All of them are outrageously easy. First one, almost killed him in the first try, but easily defeated him in the second. It took two times because he one-shotted me the first time after I got cocky. Second one, I don't think he even touched me. It was so easy, I was in denial. Third one, is a nostalgia boss, made his return from Dark Souls. Though the boss battle with him is much easier now. One thing all three of them share is how predictable they are. You can see their next attack from a mile away(especially the second one I fought, which why he couldn't touch me at all). I hope they get tougher as we go, since I'm probably still in the beginning.

Most weapons and armors are back from the first game, so I'm sure there's a Claymore here or there. Can't say if it's the same as in the first game though(not that I ever used it in the first one anyway).

---------- Post added March 13, 2014 at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was March 12, 2014 at 12:56 PM ----------

BobobVanBlob, as far as I can tell, Pyromancy hasn't changed from the first DS. It's strength is still determined by the level of your Pyromancy Flame(fire hand). Although upgrading the flame is much more difficult now.

Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I bought Prepare to Die edition during the holiday Steam Sales but only installed it this week. Holy shit is this game frustrating...

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I bought Prepare to Die edition during the holiday Steam Sales but only installed it this week. Holy shit is this game frustrating...
That's one of the reason why it is so famous.. the whole idea of playing Dark Souls is repetition of arduous battles until you get better. I'm waiting for the PC version of Dark Souls II..

Last edited:

riki

Storyteller
Reaction score
Country
United States
You also need to be cautious and don't rush into battle. However, it will take some trials and errors since you will die a lot.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
That's one of the reason why it is so famous.. the whole idea of playing Dark Souls is repetition of arduous battles until you get better. I'm waiting for the PC version of Dark Souls II..
It came out on Steam like a day or two ago

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I have it pre-ordered, a hard copy. Not sure if I'm going to play it soon though I'm currently playing other games.

---------- Post added May 06, 2014 at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was April 26, 2014 at 01:51 PM ----------

Thank god they have fixed the framerate issues in the PC version.

---------- Post added May 12, 2014 at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was May 06, 2014 at 02:09 PM ----------

Okay I tested some classes before I am going to "seriously" playing it. It seems Sorcerer and Knight are the easiest classes, although Knight's clunky movement can be a problem sometimes. I did pretty OK with those two classes up until The Pursuer (#2 Boss) but I guess I'll go with the sorcerer since it's more broken than knight.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Clunky movement? No Havel's Ring?!

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I am not that far yet to know it for sure, but it seems there's an item that serves the same purpose as Havel's.. and I figured it out that I forgot to balance my stats with Adaptability lol so that's the reason why it felt clunky.

---------- Post added May 15, 2014 at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was May 13, 2014 at 09:22 PM ----------

I fucking hate Royal Rat Vanguard. Probably the most annoying boss so far in Dark Souls 2.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
I tried Dark Souls 1 once. In my first try I was a total noob and thought the knight was the easiest class in the game. Maybe it was, but it was so boring and his movements made me drop the game.

So some days ago I started again, as a wanderer... and damn, it was fun. I didn't realise how fun the game is and how different each class plays in the first parts of the game (and how fair the game becomes once you have the proper equipment). I stopped playing with that character though, picked a pyro and now I just hit one of the 2 bells in the first part of the game (yeah, I just started, lol). I was also lucky enough to pick a black knight sword so I'm just melting my way through the game. Sadly I forgot my joystick in town so no gaming this weekend :(

Just now I know this exists ._.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Yeah, you kind of HAVE to follow guides to play the game the most optimally. Took me like 20 tries to kill Havel.

I picked Knight as well...though I'm not really sure why. Right now I'm back at the Undead Asylum and can't kill the Stray Demon. Haven't played in a week or so, too frustrating.

BobobVanBlob

Reaction score
Country
France
Yeah, you kind of HAVE to follow guides to play the game the most optimally. Took me like 20 tries to kill Havel.

I picked Knight as well...though I'm not really sure why. Right now I'm back at the Undead Asylum and can't kill the Stray Demon. Haven't played in a week or so, too frustrating.

People tend to pick Knight because of the big armour set, BUT the biggest advantage when you start as a knight is your shield, it has a decent stability for a starting shield.

Warrior is pretty good if you want to go for a quality build, but the armour is terrible if you like to have a high poise/phys defence.

After finishing the game 10 times, I finally started my true challenge run on dark souls: no controller, everything with the keyboard and the mouse. It's surprisingly easy after a few hours to get the handle of it.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
People tend to pick Knight because of the big armour set, BUT the biggest advantage when you start as a knight is your shield, it has a decent stability for a starting shield.

Warrior is pretty good if you want to go for a quality build, but the armour is terrible if you like to have a high poise/phys defence.

After finishing the game 10 times, I finally started my true challenge run on dark souls: no controller, everything with the keyboard and the mouse. It's surprisingly easy after a few hours to get the handle of it.
I don't really remember why I picked it. I thought Warrior got a shield too? Or do you just mean Knight's is better?

LOL...what's the point of doing that?