Favorites - Do you like Sport Mangas? If so, which are your favourites? | Page 11 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Favorites Do you like Sport Mangas? If so, which are your favourites?

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:worship Eyeshield 21 :worship

There is no other like it! :smugbunny

shaheer

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
hungry hearts from the same guy who drew tsubasa????? maan that guy can do good stuffs then, Tsubasa was a normal cliche piece of manga

Gcat88

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
we need more ippo supporters. started reading some of it recently, HOLY COW. so realistic and so detailed. i need to read more and catch up, even if it takes me 1 year!!!

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Rock-Bird

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Germany
The latter one, Giant Killing has been made into an Anime and will start this Spring Season (probably in April).

Though who knows what to expect. I remember that the Eyeshield Anime was not so good to say the least...

slippy

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
i usually like watching sports anime's over the manga, but should i try the giant killing manga before the anime comes out =o

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes I like sports mangas. Currently I like Cross Game.

It is by Adachi Mitsuru, who has done similar type series/re-occurring themes.

Oh and there is an anime for that as-well.

Akiyama

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm catching up on the scans of Kuroko no Basket, it's a good basketball series that has potential but my favorite has to be REAL. One Outs would have to be the best baseball read for me. Next I will try E21 if I ever get some free time.

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Has anyone read Last Inning yet? It looks fairly good, I may give it a try soon.

mathi36

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
last inning is promising! You definitely should give it a try!

Rei Ayanami

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Best Sports Manga

Prince of Tennis it being the DBZ of Sports manga.

TemplateR

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I contest. Slam Dunk is the DBZ of sports manga.
I Contest again^^. Hajime No Ippo is the DBZ of sports mangas.

Dive

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm gonna go with Ring ni Kakero as the DBZ of sports manga.

juUnior

Intl Translator
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Poland
So I'm gonna go with Shoot! as the DBZ of sports manga. <there will be a long list with "DBZ of sports manga" :p>

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
i second rei as i also think POT is the DBZ of sports manga
(sometimes Tsubasa)
and tell you what i just checked Air gear is also considered a sports manga if thats so then damn that one is a DBZ, shouting and trust and spirit and what not, makes you stronger

Last edited:

LilaChan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Re: the DBZ of Sports Manga

Prince of Tennis it being the DBZ of Sports manga.
I personally wouldn't say PoT is the DBZ of sports manga. I'm going to go with Drmke, Slam Dunk or maybe Captain Tsubasa.

PoT definitely changed the sports manga genre to a certain extent or even shounen manga in general. It pretty much started the bishounen jump syndrome.

I wouldn't say it's the sports manga of DBZ, I personally think it stands up on its own. It's the one of the first shounen series to gain a REALLY big female fanbase. Obviously whether it's a good or bad thing is up to you. :p

/is murdered.

R4n

Reaction score
Country
Micronesia

I personally wouldn't say PoT is the DBZ of sports manga. I'm going to go with Drmke, Slam Dunk or maybe Captain Tsubasa.

PoT definitely changed the sports manga genre to a certain extent or even shounen manga in general. It pretty much started the bishounen jump syndrome.

I wouldn't say it's the sports manga of DBZ, I personally think it stands up on its own. It's the one of the first shounen series to gain a REALLY big female fanbase. Obviously whether it's a good or bad thing is up to you. :p

/is murdered.
Um, not really. It actually goes even further than that.

I would give the title of bishounen shounen manga trendsetter to the works of Masami Kurumada. Of course i might be wrong.
Clamp started their career drawing BL doujinshis for Saint Seiya. And since the works of Clamp influences many mangakas, we can say Masami Kurumada has greater impact on the industry than PoT.

hm, since what i said is not really backed by solid research, what i said might not be accurate. Anyway, my point is, i wouldn't give any title to PoT now. Sure it is very popular, but i feel that it is still too fresh to be considered having a great impact...
No offence to PoT fans. :tem

I would like to mention a very influential sports manga: Ashita no Joe.
That manga still send shivers down my spine whenever i remembered the scenes, eventhough i read it 10 years ago. Truly a masterpiece. *bows*

Off topic: suddenly i remember something. Two very popular BL mangakas did doujinshis on Slam Dunk and Captain Tsubasa. I am not sure whether it is before their debut or during their professional work, though.
I am referring to Minami Ozaki (she did Captain Tsubasa DJs) and Yamane Ayano (She did some very entertaining Slam Dunk DJs). Minami Ozaki is a legend in BL industry.

Last edited:

Dive

Reaction score
Country
United States

Oh. We weren't talking about the over the top abilities in DBZ that seemed to have transferred over to some sports manga? Whoops.

If we're talking about in terms of straight up popularity, then yeah, Slam Dunk.

LilaChan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Um, not really. It actually goes even further than that.

I would give the title of bishounen shounen manga trendsetter to the works of Masami Kurumada. Of course i might be wrong.
Clamp started their career drawing BL doujinshis for Saint Seiya. And since the works of Clamp influences many mangakas, we can say Masami Kurumada has greater impact on the industry than PoT.

hm, since what i said is not really backed by solid research, what i said might not be accurate. Anyway, my point is, i wouldn't give any title to PoT now. Sure it is very popular, but i feel that it is still too fresh to be considered having a great impact...
No offence to PoT fans. :tem

I would like to mention a very influential sports manga: Ashita no Joe.
That manga still send shivers down my spine whenever i remembered the scenes, eventhough i read it 10 years ago. Truly a masterpiece. *bows*

Off topic: suddenly i remember something. Two very popular BL mangakas did doujinshis on Slam Dunk and Captain Tsubasa. I am not sure whether it is before their debut or during their professional work, though.
I am referring to Minami Ozaki (she did Captain Tsubasa DJs) and Yamane Ayano (She did some very entertaining Slam Dunk DJs). Minami Ozaki is a legend in BL industry.
I didn't do much research on my post, it's just from Bishounen Jump Syndrome from TvTropes. So don't quote me on the info. :p

The difference with PoT compared to the series before is that Shounen Jump actually gave a nod about the large female fanbase and milked the fangirls without hiding. Hence it is called one of the first series to have 'bishounen jump syndrome', because the publisher/creator knowingly targeting fangirls. Insted in the past, where fangirls find the 'hints' themselves. I think I wrote my post somewhat confusingly, sorry if that confused anyone.

PoT somewhat changed the way a shounen or a sports manga can be marketed. Obviously this isn't backed up with any sources, just my observations.

@BL part. I've read about that before, it's really interesting in my opinion.

Dive said:
Oh. We weren't talking about the over the top abilities in DBZ that seemed to have transferred over to some sports manga? Whoops.
Actually actually PoT could be the sports manga of DBZ in that point of view. -cough-