School - Dormitories, yay or nay? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

School Dormitories, yay or nay?

Do you like dorms?

• No.

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • Yes.

Votes: 27 62.8%

• Total voters

mrcongojack

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
As of now I've been living in a dorm for a week now (for the incredibly curious, it's the Wells East Tower at UW Whitewater. For more info, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UW_Whitewater)

So far it's been terrible. No AC, internets are way slow, mosquitos everwhere (there isn't anyone on campus without at least ten bites). and people play "Stuntin' Like My Daddy" at volume 11 at midnight. It's like a really crappy crowded summer camp.

So my question is: Dormitories, heaven or hell on Earth?

_ATMA

Reaction score
Country
United States
ive never been in a dorm so i cant really say lol, though i am looking to move into a studio @.@

PaperYomiko

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
dorms.....ahhh.....the memories :XD

altogether, I've lived in dormitories for five years - four years at boarding school, and one year at college. It was fun during high school, but by the time I was in college.....enough is enough :darn

my only consolation for you, Congo, is that is should get better. It's always pretty miserable for the first couple of weeks, but once the weather cools down it makes it much more bearable. As for the awful music played way too loud, I have nothing but sympathy. I was lucky enough to be on a floor of mostly music majors my freshman year, so almost everyone had very good taste in music. I did knock on one guy's door at around two in the morning, though, and told him if he was going to play his music that loud, he could at least make it something good :smile-big

but, no matter how gross the bathrooms are, how annoying your roommate is, or how loud the guys above you are, it's only for a year, then you can choose your own room and/or roommate, or get an apartment off-campus and enjoy the perks of being a non-freshman :p

oh right I should say that I voted the big n-o for this.... I love my apartment :XD

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
NO. I hate dorm life =/ I moved into mine 2.5 weeks ago, it's hot as hell, the bathroom's gross, my roommate is CONSTANTLY on the phone, usually with her boyfriend, people are really really loud in the hallway and nearby rooms, especially at night, and they're having a bleeding NUDE PARTY tonight :/

HELL.

Zwivix

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Well i didnt live in a dorm this year but im planning on doing it next year just so i can get the expierience.

The good thing im looking forward to is that the dorms at my university are two bedroom apartments. And what ive hear their great. So i say yay all the way (didnt mean to rhyme).

Fugitive

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
Everyone's dorm experience is going to be different. Period.

I recommend that every college student live in the dorms for their first year.
My freshmen year was excellent. One of the best years of my life. I met so many cool people. And that was in my dorm alone. Through them, I met several other cool peeps in other dorms and off campus. Party, party, party!!

We had a community restroom that we kept clean. The cafeteria served OK food. Sure there we rules and resident assistants to monitor our halls, but it wasn't extremely strict.

Basically, just like everything else in life, the dorm life is what YOU make of it.

sahugani

Now 20% Cooler
Reaction score
Country
United States
i lived on-campus the past two years at UC San Diego (Muir College to be specific) and i loved it. after two years guaranteed housing i'm off campus this year though. alot of it comes down to liking your roommate and both years i got along great

kiddo7

Reaction score
Country
Austria
I enjoyed dorm life overall. Not like it did not have it's drawbacks, but am the type of person that tends to ignore/forget about the negatives as long as they are not so severe or if the positives outweigh them.

My first year I lived on a floor where everyone acted like family. all the doors where always open people where in and out of each others rooms, the hallways and the lounge where the scene of the party every day... and the bathrooms where decent... most of the time anyway. Good times!

The rest of my college life I was in a different dorm, which was almost the exact opposite. quiet halls, closed doors, well behaved neighbors. Add an awesome roommate and proximity to the mess hall and the academic buildings, and it all begins to look very good. And the bathrooms where probably the nicest on campus.

krazykone12

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
As far as dorms go it's just love it or hate it just pray you don't get paired up with a jackass :S

woody_green

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I voted for yay because 1) It's more convenient (you can just walk to class instead of commuting), 2) you can save money and 3) you don't have to worry about food (except when you get sick of it). By the way, I've been dorming for almost 7 years (since high school)

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
NO. I hate dorm life =/ I moved into mine 2.5 weeks ago, it's hot as hell, the bathroom's gross, my roommate is CONSTANTLY on the phone, usually with her boyfriend, people are really really loud in the hallway and nearby rooms, especially at night, and they're having a bleeding NUDE PARTY tonight :/

HELL.
Nude party? @_@

As a deaf person I actually had the option of living in my own dorm by myself, or just commuting from the start. But still would have had to deal with the bathrooms being linked to another room - as well as the vibrations from whatever music is playing next door. I decided to commute after a while. Especially since home wasn't that far off, and I was always going home anyway.

Though, when I go back to graduate school, assuming the dorms are better for grad. students, I'll probably be at a dorm again.

Paper

Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
i used to live in a dorm...it was pretty good. i got to choose my room mate, who was a good friend of mine to begin with, and i also lived near some of my other freinds.

Ichigo

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I went to college in Beloit Wisconsin and I never lived in a dorm. They did have dorms but was placed in a house owned by the college. It was a house that supported like 12 kids and they had a few of those around campus. Then after one semester there, I joined TKE, a fraternity that had their own 17 room house, free washer and dryer, free cable and our own house Mom who would cook lunch and dinner for us, we had our own kitchen so breakfast and weekends were our own to cook. But i did live in a dorm for one winter session there and it wasn't bad because i had a single and only a fifth of the students were there.

i would only recommend college housing as an incentive if you want to save money. Dormitorires do suck unless you live in a coed one.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Dorm life has a lot of disadvantages, but the advantages count more. What's bad about it (for my dorm anyway) is that it's dirty, and crappy, etc. But you get to have A LOT of acquaintances and friends, drinking buddies, parties and events that you'd never experience if you weren't a dormer. It's like a special association.

godofthesunn

Ghosted
Reaction score
Country
Finland
Well I loved dorm life.. personally.. I met a bunch of people and was able to filter out the cool ones from that large amount and then establish good freindships..

bathrooms.. oh well .. dont you people share bathrooms with your sibilisngs at home.. not much diffrent really

roomate.. depends on the type you get..I was the bad roomate so meh..

All and all it was worth it

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dorm is good only if it is cheap. Unfortunately for my school, it is not. So I vote for no.

lordHokage

Reaction score
Country
Bahamas

HELL.
I have lived in dorms with far worse conditions. Dorm living is an experience you will never forget. I recommend all perspective college students to live in the dorms. :blink

igotthegoods

The Giggs
Reaction score
Country
United States
i voted yes......i was very lucky in my 2 years of dorm experience. first of all, the window screens were supposed to be locked in place, but somehow my screen was broken. that allowed us to put an air conditioner in. thus, i was never really subjected to the hell-like temperatures that are typical of the first few weeks of school. also, my potluck roommate was awesome. we're still friends! i also lived on an academic floor, so most of my floormates were really serious about studying all the time. i didn't have to worry about loud music so much or anything like that when i was trying to sleep. i actually did most of my studying and spent most of my time on one of the guys' floors in my dorm. there was definitely always something going on with those crazy guys. i feel like i had a good balance of studying and random shenanigans over there. whenever i was tired, i could always go back to my nice, quiet floor to sleep.

all in all, it was good times. even though you might have a slightly different experience than mine, i recommend to all new college students to stay in a dorm for at least one year and then move off-campus. i wouldn't have met nearly as many people if i hadn't stayed in a dorm. honestly, living off-campus is definitely better, but dorm life is something everyone should experience. i also recommend to go potluck on your roommate. i know of quite a few people that roomed with friends and are now not on good terms. living with someone is soooo much different than just being friends, trust me....

nat

Reaction score
Country
Bermuda
The dorm where I lived was Amazing, It was big and had a part that was hotel for tourists and stuff.

Before 8am and After 11 pm by strict rules there was no noise. They had many activities and there was a lot of freedom and sense of comunity, like a small city. And the people I met there are Amazing. I was lucky to have a double-height room (really big) with a private bathroom, there was a roomate. It was more like a Hotel, with students. ahh, I wanna go back.... :(

So I vote Definately Yes based on my experience.

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
Reaction score
Country
United States
Now that I've finished my year in the dorm, I still hated it :/ I spent most of my time away if possible xD I guess it just depends on the dorm you have, and the kind of people around you. Yes, I do think freshman should try it, if only to make friends and get the feeling of living away from home. However, my experience was an unlucky one that got worse and worse, and resulted in my moving out 3 weeks early and commuting the last few weeks of class/finals. (Psycho-bitch roommate, to say in the least) The dorm itself kind of grew on me, it was nice having everything I needed in arm's reach xD my fridge was right beside my bed/desk, and one of my new best friends was literally right across the hall =)