Voting Round 1 - Dragon Ball vs. Angel Densetsu | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting Round 1 Dragon Ball vs. Angel Densetsu

Who wins?

• Dragon Ball

• Angel Densetsu

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Potatoe-Titan

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Gohans development was great yea, but then Boo Saga happened. In my opinion Akira did great till Cell Saga, Boo Saga wasn't that great. He wasted a lot potential of the "Side"characters.

Not as bad as Mashima did in Fairy Tail but still.

gnut

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
That should be a point of pride tbh... :errr
I agree that DBZ was nothing in comparison to Dragonball...memorable villains yes,but story wise it was pretty repetitive.

Reebi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dbz characters are pretty one dimensional though.No complexity or depth.Apart from Vageta,everyone is either good or bad.
They were loveable but yes lack luster

Lambu

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
DB > DBZ

Im glad people think like this aswell, the first part of DragonBall with Kid Goku was the best one. The battles might be better in the next part, sure, but storywise the search for the DBs, the Red Ribbon arc and the mystery of Piccolo/Kami to boost the seriousness were amazing. Comedy + endearing characters made the show a reference for shonen manga.

Then Toriyama decided to expand the world with Goku's alien origin and the saiyans, then the Namek/Freeza saga that marked the climax of the whole series, the SuperSaiyan legend and the destined battle for the last remnant of an extinct race vs the opressor of the universe.
I think the series should have ended there tbh.

From there onwards the plot started to lose its internal logic little by little, the abuse of "retcon" damaged the series, but it still managed to remain interesting and epic.
I think what made DBZ so great was its capability to stay young arc after arc even when the plot repeated again and again. It was fun to see the characters reach new heights arc after arc even if it didn't make actual sense.

Angel Densetsu is very good and I agree with Jammin thats better than Claymore, but I dont think if it can follow the shadow of DB as an epitome of manganime. Both are great series though, they both deserve time and attention

Voting DB this time.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I agree that DBZ was nothing in comparison to Dragonball...memorable villains yes,but story wise it was pretty repetitive.
Personally, I think the entirety of it was repetitive. Once you put nostalgia aside, there isn't much room for me to hold the series in that high of a regard honestly.

gnut

Reaction score
Country
United States
Personally, I think the entirety of it was repetitive. Once you put nostalgia aside, there isn't much room for me to hold the series in that high of a regard honestly.
But in my opinion....that's what defines a great series,movie,book,etc....the nostalgic memories

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
What's so repetitive about DragonBall Pre-Z? Honest question. All arcs are quite different.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
What's so repetitive about DragonBall Pre-Z? Honest question. All arcs are quite different.
Yeah, not actually what I meant, sorry. I meant taking the entire series of DB+DBZ into account. I find the pre-Z stuff a lot more charming, fresh, and enjoyable, but it still never stuck with me compared to other stuff, I guess.

gnut

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, not actually what I meant, sorry. I meant taking the entire series of DB+DBZ into account. I find the pre-Z stuff a lot more charming, fresh, and enjoyable, but it still never stuck with me compared to other stuff, I guess.
Kinda what i was talking too...
I take it you got into DB later after watching other stuff...
To me..besides stuff like Miyazaki or Lupin.....there was nothing else like it.
Yeah,certain hits like GitS,kite,wicked city,ninja scroll,so on and so on....but nothing like picking up bootleg DB vhs tapes from the local flea markets/swap meets for the newest stuff xD.
Nostalgia just doesn't explain it:gnut

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Kinda what i was talking too...
I take it you got into DB later after watching other stuff...
To me..besides stuff like Miyazaki or Lupin.....there was nothing else like it.
Yeah,certain hits like GitS,kite,wicked city,ninja scroll,so on and so on....but nothing like picking up bootleg DB vhs tapes from the local flea markets/swap meets for the newest stuff xD.
Nostalgia just doesn't explain it:gnut
No, I read some of DB around the same time DBZ was airing here in the US.

Nostalgia does explain it some of it though. I didn't mean to say it necessarily diminishes the value of things in a vacuum, or even that DB isn't quality. It is. But I'm merely saying that I think a lot of great, and even better stuff gets overlooked in favor of it. The same sort of thing goes on with most popular stuff, but sometimes it feels like this is compounded, as Dragonball is often cited among a lot of people of a certain age as the gateway to manga/anime in general.

gnut

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree...it totally sets the bar for fighter mangas in the shonen genre.
That alone gives it much ground to be nominated as best manga....but then again we are talking about DBZ and not DB
:XD

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I don't hold Dragon Ball very high in regards of quality, and will probably vote against it in the next round (both Berserk and BnHA are better imo), but it deserves to advance from this round simply due to it being the absolute first manga I read, before I even knew what manga was. Vote DB.

(Agree with everyone else, when I think of the good parts of Dragon Ball, I think of the first 16 or so volumes. What I later found out was called DBZ was where I thought the series got kinda boring even when I was a kid, and I've only ever really reread the first part.)

Zasz

Bishoujo Collector
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Dragon Ball, but only because I'm a nostalgia fag. :kappa

Dunno1978

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Tartaros
I grew watching DB, it really gives nostalgia... I can even remember my hypes when I were a child... Good times. So my vote goes for Angel Densetsu because DB grew overrated and the story never seems to end (not to talk that now the hype is gone everytime I watch the show again).:yaha

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I was waiting for someone to say this :XD.

Reactions: Sky

gnut

Reaction score
Country
United States
It ran in shonen jump....

gnut

Reaction score
Country
United States
DB did. DBZ ran on TV only.
I have all 5yrs worth of american released shonen jumps...
DBZ ran along side...Yuyu Hakusho,Shaman King,Yugi Oh and Naruto x/
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

One Piece was later added after Shaman King...then after DBZ cell saga,they started Toriko

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
He is talking about the name. The manga was always titled Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball Z is the name of the anime adaptation when the Saiyan saga starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.