1. We are looking for new moderators and News Writers. If you are interested, apply here.
  2. The first voting day of the Anime League is here! Tell us which new Anime of this season you liked the most so far!
  3. New Week, New Contest!
    It's time for another seasonal contest! The Calligraphy Summer Art Contest has begun. Show your creative writing styles.

Congrats to WithYouInSpirit for winning the Food Photography contest!
  4. Starting from mid-February or so we'll be going through the media gallery and sorting through the submissions there to ensure they match with our recent changes listed in the Media Gallery Guide.
    As such some media files will be removed, so please be sure to look through your media and ensure it is up to requirements If you have any questions, contact a global/admin.
In case you've missed it, Mangahelpers is recruiting new Moderators/News Writers. If you're interested, please read HERE for more information.
Though artists in particular, everyone please do check out the [MEDIA GUIDE] , as there are information relevant for you all. Thanks!

One Cour Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Gaiden: Sword Oratoria

Discussion in 'Anime Series' started by Zasz, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Zasz

Zasz Bishoujo Collector

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity

Mangahelper

Italy
    You know, I'm glad that Ais' facial expressions have changed lots of times during this episode.
    Under normal circumstances, she tends to look like a lifeless doll...
    Either way, damn, Finn was so badass. :verily

Jammin likes this.
  2. Jammin

Jammin MH's Best Reviewer

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted

Mangahelper

United States
    Am I a bad person for enjoying the scene where Lefiya was getting choked? (I feel like the answer is yes)

Definitely a solid episode though. The winning formula continues to be "Less Lefiya = Better Episode".
    --- Double Post Merged, May 20, 2017 at 12:56 AM, Original Post Date: May 13, 2017 ---
    I'm starting to come around on this show. Two episodes now with minimal Lefiya. Little injection of some Bell crossovers. A little more personality from Aiz. Plot that's got more substance than fluff. It's starting to get good.

Also the running joke of Bell running away from Aiz is much funnier from her perspective than it was from his.

Still really wish they kept more of her mental monologues though.

niichan, Wowzers, Zasz and 1 other person like this.
  3. Demonspeed

Demonspeed The Hierophant

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member

Global Moderator

France
    Good episode but it was so rushed, imagine what they could have done if they hadn't wasted time with the rpetitive Lefiya's scenes. The fight against Udaeus was too fast and disappointing, they reduce Riveria's actions again. But at least they did a good job showing how her relationship with Ais is. Still not enough monologues for Ais but this was a progress.

The scene with Finn ringing the bell was perfect though :lmao.

4. niichan

niichan TrIckster

神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike

Administrator

Germany
    So as someone who's not read the LN or the manga, what exactly did they skip? Did we actually get more info about Aiz mother, called Aria? So far the anime plays it as a big mystery, so I wonder what important parts where removed. Like why does she think Bell is similar to her?

Also I once read the first two or three chaps of the manga, like one year ago or so, and was incredibly annoyed by Lefiya, hence why I stopped reading lol. Hearing that she got even more screentime in the anime is ridiculous but I'm with all of you, the less Lefiya this show has, the better it becomes. She's such a boring, annoying and dull character that I almost wanted her to get chocked to death for real (I guess we're both bad people Jammin :XD).

Jammin likes this.
  5. Jammin

Mangahelper

United States
    They skipped quite a few things.

That scene with Aiz's mother and father should have been much sooner and explains that it's a recurring dream she has. Which they changed and cut all the dialogue out of in order to fit where they did. The first scene was supposed to be Aiz's mother reading her a book. The second was her father rescuing her and probably going off to his death.

There was a princess deep in a forest who was trapped in eternal sleep
    Until one day she was woken by a young man.
    He melted her heart, took her hand, and the two lived happily ever after.
    The princess was saved.
    "Do you like the story?"
    The toddler nodded
    "What about mommy?"
    The woman nodded back.
    "Me, too, because I'm living happily ever after because of him." The woman smiled back like she didn't have a car in the world.
    The toddler's eyes filled with envy and admiration. She looked down at the book for a moment before looking back up at the woman's face.
    The woman smiled again.
    "Wouldn't it be nice if you met someone who does the same for you?"
    The toddler smiled like a flower opening to the morning sun.

And the father scene is similar. I don' t want to type the whole thing but the most important part are her father's last words to her . Which are " I hope that, someday, you find a hero---your hero.". Which becomes an important thing to understand about Aiz and her fascination with Bell. Because in the book that whole dream is triggered by her encounter with Bell and Minotaur right at the beginning.

There should also have been a scene with Riveria explaining a bit about her. Specifically that's she's known Aiz the longest and is reluctant surrogate mother. And the really unforgivable part is they cut that stuff and more in order to added more Lefiya scenes than are in the books inn order to reframe the story of the first book to make it seem like it's about her.

But even beyond that stuff the biggest omission though is the mental monologues. Which are arguably the best part of Oratoria. In the book Aiz is almost like a character from classic noir she's got a near constant internal monologue going. So while she barely ever expresses herself to others you get a very clear picture of what she's thinking underneath it all.

For example. In the scene were Bete gets drunk and insults Bell we're supposed to know exactly what Aiz is thinking that whole time.

"The hell was he doing anyway? If yer gonna cry like a little baby, ya shouldn't be down there in the first place first place! Ain't that right, Aiz"
    Aiz's hands clenched into fists beneath the table.
    She felt a gaze and turned to see Riveria with one ye closed and the other looking at her.
    In an instant, Aiz could tell that out of all the people at the table only Rivera could tell that there was a storm brewing behind her aloof expression.

Admittedly that's something that's really hard to duplicate with anime but they didn't even try. And without that Aiz is a very difficult character to understand. There is a lot about her that if you haven't read the book you just can't know.

niichan likes this.
  6. niichan

niichan TrIckster

神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike

Administrator

Germany
    Wow that really is a lot... isn't this story supposed to be about Aiz and not Lefiya? :facepalm

Anyway, it's true that Aiz is really hard to read without monologues but at least I got the part that she's angry when Bete starts making fun of Bell in the anime too. Still that's some really important backstory they totally ignored to insert more Lefiya (I can't stop the facepalm...). Oh well, at least it's good to know some people who can fill us in about missing or changed parts, so that's great. Thanks for your help Jammin!

Zasz and Jammin like this.
  7. Schpittfeuer

Schpittfeuer Registered User

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner

Poland
    Aizu vs Udaeos- lame. Manga did it better and LNs did it WAYYYY better.

But pouty Aizu <3

[​IMG]

Zasz, Demonspeed and Jammin like this.
  8. Jammin

Mangahelper

United States
    They've done better lately. So hopefully we've moved past the worst of it.

The only problem it's really got now is that there is a whole layer of depth to the characters that's just missing if you haven't read the books. Omori is a great author, and probably my favorite of the Japanese light novel authors, but I don't think this show really captured why that is yet.

niichan likes this.