Light Novel - Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Light Novel Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka?

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Dan Machi (Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka)
Genre: Fantasy, Adventure
By: Oomori Fujino
Art: Yasuda Suzuhito
Publisher: Softbank Creative
Imprint: GA Bunko

The huge labyrinth city, Orario, is the gateway to the huge underground maze commonly known as the "Dungeon". Its strange name causes excitement, a place to gain honour, and maybe even a romance with a pretty girl. A place where people hold their breath, hoping to gain all they wish for, a place where a solitary young man meets a little "god".

"Alright, Bell-kun, follow me! It's time for the "Familia" initiation rite to happen!"
"Yes! I'm going to get stronger!"

The fated meeting of a boy who wants to become an adventurer, and the failed god who doesn't even have a single follower.

This boy's journey as written by the goddess, "Family's Legend" (Familia's Myth)

With Illustrations by Yasuda Suzuhito, Artist of Durarara and Mangaka of Yozakura Quartet.

perspherspley

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
You can read the translated novel, here.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Caught up with this.

This is pretty good, the characters are endearing, it is funny,the world building is good without being too complicated and there are great battles, it's like a fantasy shonen manga done right.

Bell is not a badass OP(:heh) antihero and I like it but I didn't appreciate very much how he dealt with Lili in Volume 2, Volume 3 however was particularly epic. Caught up with Sword Oratoria manga too and it made me like Ais and the Loki Familia.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Just finished Volume 4. Pretty good. Seems like more of the story was cut out of the anime adaptation than from any of the other volumes so far.

Namely some of the nuance with Welf. I don't think the anime gave as full an explanation of the Crozzo family and what that means. This volume went into a lot more depth with that. Also had a good bit more with the Miach Familia. The potion selling god and his dog-girl familia member Nahza.

It gets into the origin of the Crozzo Family and their magic sword making ability. And how they lost it due to making large numbers of magic swords for a neighboring city, which was hinted at being a threat to Orario, and how they were responsible for the destruction of the Elf homeland. The reasons Welf doesn't want to make them are still the same but the danger of Crozzo magic swords are underscored and the danger of this neighboring city was made out to be a pretty big deal.

Nahza(the Dog Girl) has her own little mini-arc. Turns out she's a former adventurer that was horribly injured in the dungeon. She was hurt bad enough that she lost and arm and her god racked up a huge debt by getting her a silver replacement one from rival alchemist god with a big famiila. Lilly catches her cheating Bell but being the big ol' softy he is they end going on a quest in the overworld (not the dungeon) to retrieve ingredients for potions they can sell. As they are completing the quest it's revealed that Nahza is actually kind of badass level 2 archer. She can still physically fight and that the mental trauma from being half eaten by monsters(which had to suck) is the real reason she's unable to go in the dungeon again. Seemed like it was setting her up to be someone like Lyr a traumatized yet experienced adventurer.

Now just have to wait until Apr 19th for volume 5.

Last edited:

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Surprised to learn that Danmachi has been licensed in France too :o. It doesn't happen often.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
This series has become kind of a big thing since the anime came out. Kind of an amazing story since it was originally published as the winner of a contest. One of those "submit a bunch of stories and we'll publish the best one" kind of deals.

The novel has sold 4 million copies now and the last four volumes are getting a reprint.

They also announced that there will be some stage event on February 21, featuring a bunch of anime cast. Which could possibly mean more Danmachi anime to come.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
No S2 or Sword Oratoria anime but an OVA has been announced. More details in March.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Just finished reading Volume 5. I am not sure if I liked it more than Volume 3 but the final battle was definitely my favorite, I was just as excited as Hermes reading this, pure epicness, and there were so many other great moments in this :o. It's amazing how the author was able to use that huge cast in the battle like that.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I just finished it too and I totally agree. It's kind of striking how perfect the anime adaptation of this book was too. It was pretty close to scene for scene.

The new stuff was mainly set up for what's coming next and details the anime didn't have time for. So I guess in the next book we'll have this Apollo causing trouble maybe Bell reaching level 3.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I just finished it too and I totally agree. It's kind of striking how perfect the anime adaptation of this book was too. It was pretty close to scene for scene.

The new stuff was mainly set up for what's coming next and details the anime didn't have time for. So I guess in the next book we'll have this Apollo causing trouble maybe Bell reaching level 3.
I think it was too fast-paced in the anime. The part they adapted the best was Bell's team struggle after the Pass Parade IMO. Everything else was better, I didn't like Lili but she is really doing her best to support her team, she's one of my favorite characters now. Goliath felt much more threatening and it became really evident that Magic is a trump card. There is one thing about abandoning comrades that I found interesting, the same theme has been brought up in Oratoira's recently released manga chapters, maybe Bell will experience the death of one of his comrades later.
Completed Volume 6. This one was pretty good as well, I liked the final battle a lot but this was not the best part of the volume for me, my favorite moments were:

• Chapter 2 which was both hilarious and cute :XD.
  • Lili's development and her story with the Soma Familia(her strategy during the War Game w.
  • Welf :hip

These two shone more than Bell in this volume IMO. I liked how Bete openly acknowledged Bell in front of everyone too, he must be a real fan like Tiona now :nod.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I just finished it. Man, what a ride! This volume needs to be animated at some point. The action and tension was so good.

It was definitely a volume more about the people around Bell as much as it was Bell himself and I was totally into that. Lilly and Welf were great but so were Mikoto, Lyu, and Nahza. Bell's circle of friends got the chance to show their stuff and took full advantage of it. My favorite parts were probably...

• Hestia sticking it to Apollo in glorious fashion.
  • The expansion of and building the Hestia Familia as a real thing.
  • The somewhat bittersweet ending for Lili and Soma.
Aiz took kind of a backseat but she and Tione still had a satisfying presence. Bete also seems to be developing an awesome tsundere mancrush on Bell, I was enjoying that a good bit. Kind of amazing how many characters it was able to balance now that I think about it.

So, yeah, I loved it. Can't wait to check out the next volume in 3 months. Why is December 13th so far away!!!:bored
I suppose in the meantime it left us with a fun subject to think about. Who is going to join the Hestia Familia as the story goes forward?
--- Double Post Merged, ---
New volume is out. Really good too, I finished it in the very VERY late last night.

Surprising subject matter. A whole volume about rescuing a prostitute from a red light districts is not a plot line I was expecting. It worked terrifically though.

We're now two volumes past where the anime ended and I think both have been better than the volumes the anime was based on.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Started volume 7 a few minutes ago. Obviously I have not completed it but I just finished the part about the loan contract reveal... :epicfacepalm

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Started volume 7 a few minutes ago. Obviously I have not completed it but I just finished the part about the loan contract reveal... :epicfacepalm
Haha! Classic Hestia. Can't have her not being in debt, it wouldn't feel right.

Though I love that they found a way for her to start developing a bigger Familia and still be working part time jobs to pay for the loan to Hephaestus. Best of all worlds.

I'm curious to hear what you think about Mikoto. Specifically whether she's ever going to go back to her old Familia. I tend to think not.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Just finished it. That was, very, very long. Still, if I had not wasted 10 hours of my time for something stupid two days ago I would have finished it sooner. Certain tings were too convenient but ti was a very good volume. Freya got what she wanted

It is cool to see Bell growing but Mikoto really stole the show, she is the perfect lancer for the Familia too. I like that there is no love comedy with her even though she is woman. It'd be great if she stays but I'd feel kinda bad for Takemizazuchi Familia, even though they have Ouka.

Hermes being a manipulative bastard is nothing new but he pulled all the stops in this chapter. Of all the Gods he is the one who represents their hedonism the most IMO. I was amazed by Takemikazuchi as well, it had already been mentioned that he had trained his followers but I didn't think it was to that extent, they master several martial arts and weapons, and Mikoto's fight against Samira showed how much technique could be helpful again. Compared to the other Gods, Hestia offers nothing...

Among the new characters Aisha was easily the best, Haruhime is okay(it would have been better if she were not a virgin). I could not help but think about Ais's story when I learnt more about her, not because of her blonde hair(Bell :lmao) but because of her wish to be saved by a hero. Her Magic is powerful but she'll need to become stronger by herself. Bell has his merits but he is mainly being manipulated by the others without being aware of it, it's a bit sad.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Just finished it. That was, very, very long. Still, if I had not wasted 10 hours of my time for something stupid two days ago I would have finished it sooner. Certain tings were too convenient but ti was a very good volume. Freya got what she wanted

It is cool to see Bell growing but Mikoto really stole the show, she is the perfect lancer for the Familia too. I like that there is no love comedy with her even though she is woman. It'd be great if she stays but I'd feel kinda bad for Takemizazuchi Familia, even though they have Ouka.

Hermes being a manipulative bastard is nothing new but he pulled all the stops in this chapter. Of all the Gods he is the one who represents their hedonism the most IMO. I was amazed by Takemikazuchi as well, it had already been mentioned that he had trained his followers but I didn't think it was to that extent, they master several martial arts and weapons, and Mikoto's fight against Samira showed how much technique could be helpful again. Compared to the other Gods, Hestia offers nothing...

Among the new characters Aisha was easily the best, Haruhime is okay(it would have been better if she were not a virgin). I could not help but think about Ais's story when I learnt more about her, not because of her blonde hair(Bell :lmao) but because of her wish to be saved by a hero. Her Magic is powerful but she'll need to become stronger by herself. Bell has his merits but he is mainly being manipulated by the others without being aware of it, it's a bit sad.
Totally agree about Haruhime. That just struck me as one of those things where the editor was like "this is Shounen" and the author was like "...fine." and took the edge off of Haruhime's background as a prostitute. It takes some of the impact away but I guess I can see why they might want to do it that way. I agree that it's a shame though as it slightly undercut the core message of "Someone doesn't have to be perfect to be worth saving." that the book had.

Mikoto was definitely a scene stealer. Now that Haruhime is a member of the Hestia Familia I think she's going to stay too. After all, she can't leave that bath behind.:XD

As for Hermes I'm starting to think he's not going to around for too much longer. He plays with so much fire that he's going to get burned sooner or later. When he does though I'm hoping Asfi finds her way to the Hestia Familia.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
As for Hermes I'm starting to think he's not going to around for too much longer. He plays with so much fire that he's going to get burned sooner or later. When he does though I'm hoping Asfi finds her way to the Hestia Familia.
Well, Freya is doing the same and she's still fine. So far they have the same interests, they want Bell to grow. I don't see him going down but if he does I think he'll take Freya with him.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
True, but Freya's got power. Seems like she might have the most powerful familia in the city with Ottar being the city's only lvl 7. If she causes trouble she can fall back on that. Hermes' familia seems to be pretty small. Asfi seems like his biggest asset and she's only lvl 4. With Bell being lvl 3 and Haruhime's buff ability it's possible Hesta Familia is already stronger than his.

Yet Hermes is running around playing messenger and manipulating people all over the place. Generally playing the part of the trickster. But Freya saw right through him at the end. So it's not like he's avoiding notice.

To his credit he seems to want Bell to become a true hero. Which is generally a good thing. But his methods are going to get him in real trouble eventually. Either because he keeps recklessly throwing Bell into danger or because he keeps risking the wrath of somebody like Freya. And we saw what happens when she gets mad.

Dansa de la Mort

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
Look like no one read the spin off Sword Oratoria yet :3c It's about Ais' s POV and gives more about Dungeon working. The 2nd volume will release on February

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Look like no one read the spin off Sword Oratoria yet :3c It's about Ais' s POV and gives more about Dungeon working. The 2nd volume will release on February
I actually read it and finished a few chapters of the first volume last week but put it on hold because it is not my priority right now. I read the manga too and it's pretty good, it's one of the reasons why I am not in a hurry to complete this volume.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I want to read it but Yen Press didn't publish it on kindle for some reason. When they do I'll get it.

I read some of the manga version so I know it's really good. It's just that I'm a little reluctant to accumulate light novel volumes so I prefer to buy digitally.
Sword Oratoria got released on kindle at some point last month so I finally sat down and read it. It was good. Much more world building than the first few Danmachi books did.

Didn't dig this volume much as a standalone story though, just didn't feel that interesting removed from Bell's story to me. That being said it does a great job of fleshing out Aiz. Which adds quite a bit of context to her roll in Danmachi. Aiz is sort of a hard character to understand because of how little emotion she shows, so getting to find out what's going on in her head was pretty fun.

My favorite part was
at the end when she finds a lost child and wants to help him but can't deal with the situation because of her aloof nature. And then comes back only to find that Bell had helped him.
It's such a small thing but something that means a lot. Really helped me to be able to understand how she is as frustrated as she is(more than than the manga did for sure). Much like Bell she wants to live like a character in a heroic tales but she feels like she's not getting any closer to that ideal. And she really isn't.

Makes me think at some point she may end up in Hestia Familia actually because what she's desperately striving for is essentially who Bell is. I kind of wonder if Loki is ever going to be able to give her that.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Just got done with Volume 8.

Not bad but not my favorite book either. It was kind of an anthology of short stories from varying character perspectives revolving around the themes of love. Which was well written but just not what I was hoping for. Which was a big adventure. This story was definitely not that.

Mikoto, Lily, Welf, Syr, Eina, and Hestia all got their own short story.

My favorite stories probably ended up being Welf's (which surprises me, honestly). Lily's and Mikoto's were good too though. Hestia's was kind of a mixed bag. Very touching at times but also sort of annoying. Syr's and Eina's were fine but not great.

Few interesting larger picture plot hints got slipped in there as well..

That Freya has some involvement with Syr and that tavern for one thing. That was a slightly spooky revelation to come out of Syr's story.

Then in Lily's we got Finn the leader of the Loki familia putting up death flags practically non-stop. That's not good.

Last edited:

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Finally completed volume 8. Overall it was average. I particularly liked Welf and Lili's stories but the rest not so much. Hestia had some good moments in the last chapter but she was mostly very annoying.

One thing I really don't like is how Bell gets treated in his own Familia. I hate how Hestia decided to reveal his Skill to the others even Mikoto who will be there temporarily and yet hides things from him. It's even acknowledged in this volume that he would not talk because it would be like revealing his feelings for Ais.

It's not very hard to guess that his growth is related to some rare ability in the first place. Everyone know about his Skill and his feelings while the captain is kept in the dark :-_-.