Editing Challenges | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Editing Challenges

DrPepperPro

MH Senpai
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are some challenges to test your editing skills. After you've finished a challenge, if you wish it to be critiqued, you may make a new thread in the Quality Control & Critiques section. In the name of the thread you create, you can specify which of the challenges you used, though it is not necessary. For the thread prefix, you should choose: "Challenge Attempt".

This sticky itself is for discussing the challenges and coming up with new challenge ideas. Challenge attempts do not get posted in this sticky.

CLEANING CHALLENGES
I noticed that many people were looking for a more basic cleaning lesson to work on while going through the older cleaning challenge threads. And knowing that Shannaro is in need of decent cleaners I decided to start out with a basic Naruto page. For starters I am not affiliated with Shannaro in anyway. I can help you get better and probably get good enough to pass their test but I have no say in who passes Shannaro's test. Since I can't work with them directly in cleaning perhaps I can help them by teaching you guys what you need to know to help them. This lesson/challenge will be mostly tutorial style since I find having images and good guidelines the best way to learn the techniques so you can practice them and get good at them.

Our goal for this challenge is an HQ page. That means that you can't just level the page and call it good, and you shouldn't run it through any filters. If you want to join an HQ Naruto group you won't be allowed to use filters anyway so we might as well get that out on the table right now. A couple of other don't do's are do not use the burn and or dodge tool. These tools have a nasty habit of damaging lines, especially when the person using them isn't very experienced. Something else to keep in mind, bringing a single page to HQ level even from an HQ raw takes time. There aren't any easy buttons for this challenge. Expect to spend at least 2 hours cleaning this page if you don't have any prior experience.

I will only clean one panel of this page to demonstrate the techniques we are going to be working with. You should clean the entire page.

All images will behind spoiler tags, just click on the tag to see the image.

The page we are going to use is ch 335 pg 11

It is better if you don't do any actual cleaning work on the original raw aside from adjusting the page size. That way you can always compare the work you have done to the original to make sure that you are not unintentionally altering the artwork.

The points to focus on are as follows.

• Duplicate the layer and level it
  • Reframe the borders
  • Remove all Japanese text
  • Fill in the blacks and whites
  • Redraw the white detail lines
  • Redraw the black lines that are faded or broken
  • Clean up any dust still on the page

Leveling is not my strong suit so I suggest reading Angry's tutorial on leveling. To make a duplicate layer in PS have the background layer highlighted and go to Layers -> New -> Via copy or you can use the keyboard shortcut ctrl + J. I will also add that it's not always advisable to remove all the dust with leveling. Most of the time there is still going to be some you have to clean up manually.

My method for doing borders can be found here.

I tend to use the same method for removing text in bubbles as I do for filling in blacks only using white as the color instead of black. I will go into that method next.

To fill in the blacks... Make a new layer Layer -> New -> Layer or shift + crtl + N. Place this layer under the borders layer. Use the pentool (P) set up to make a path.

More info on using the pen tool can be found in Shinwei's Cleaners Compendium

Zoom in to around 300% and carefully outline the area you want to fill with black. When you come back to the original anchor click on it to close the path.

Any large spots of white and art inside the black path can be isolated with the pentool (P) by outlining it and closing the path of the area that you don't want filled in with black like Kakashi's bag.

To fill the area with black make sure you are still using the pentool (P) and right click with your mouse. In the pop-up menu select fill path and a new dialog box will pop up, you want the settings to be like this.

Make sure that your foreground is set to black (#000000), normal mode, 100% opacity, and the anti-alias box is checked. Then hit ok and magically the area is filled in with black like this...

If you don't want to save your paths or you don't do all your paths at once and then fill, then hit enter until the path on the image goes away. It's probably best for new cleaners to do these blacks one panel at a time.

Now using your brush (B) between 1px and 4 px depending on the area you are working in, zoom in to 400% and go around the edges of the black fill you just made and make sure that all the little extra spots are fully black. Repeat this process for all the black areas. To do this with the white areas such as text bubbles make sure white is set to your foreground color.

Once the blacks are filled in you need to go back and re add in those white detail lines. To do this make a new layer Layer -> New -> Layer or shift + ctrl + N and place this layer above the blacks layer. Select the blacks layer in the layers palette and click on the opacity button near the top on the right.

In this example I reduced the opacity to around 30 percent. You can even reduce it to zero if that is what you need to see the white lines in the blacks.

Select the layer you plan to do the whites on that is above the blacks layer in the layer palette. Use the pentool (P) to make a path of the long lines. Use the curves function of the pentool for curving lines for the best look. When you have the path outlined make sure your brush tool (B) is set to 1px and with the pentool (p) selected right click on the mouse to bring up a pop-up menu and select stroke path. Another dialog box will pop-up. Use the drop down menu to select the brush tool.

Use the brush tool (B) at 1 px to do short lines for a more natural look. Once all the white lines are redrawn select the black layer in the layers palette and return the opacity to 100%. And here is an example of the white lines redrawn.

Now go in and redraw the faded and or broken lines with the pentool (P) or the brushtool (B) depending on the line.

Before
After

Now go in with the brush tool (B) and paint white over any remaining dust.

Once you have finished one panel move on to the next panel until the page is all clean and looking nice. When you have the page finished go over it again to make sure that you didn't miss anything. Check the raw to see that you haven't altered anything. I also look at the final page in PS, in my image viewer and on imageshack so that I can see it from many view points. I often catch things in these other formats that I didn't see in PS alone.

Here is the page we are working on with the one panel I did for this tutorial so that you can see the finished look.

Originally posted by Allashandra - January 08, 2007, 05:17 PM
Here's the first cleaning challenge.
I know we didn't have any classes yet, but this first cleaning challenge's purpose is to evaluate cleaning skills of people who would like to learn how clean.
While I will be able to get my first impression of who I'm gonna teach, you will be able to see what parts of cleaning you're better at and what parts of cleaning you're worse at (so later on you will be able to focus only on those worse parts).

Here's the raw page you should clean for this challenge.

Rules: Anything goes, clean whatever you like in whatever way you feel like (As long as you make the page look better). You may improve and repost your clean page at any time.

Basic Guidelines you may want to follow: remove all Japanese text, make the black areas black, make the grey areas grey (uniformed), redraw faded/broken lines and reframe.

Originally posted by Fnuckale - June 28, 2006, 10:08 AM
Okay so I found one that is super cool, easier than the last one (no yellow); and not THAT hard... when you know what to do :
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5079/17myhime165lc.jpg

This one has a LOT of grey that are fading xD... this is really useful to know how to do it; it's often used for flashbacks and stuff... so this will be a training for it :)
2 different techs to do a UNIFORM gray fading:

• Do the grey as usual and then create a gradient (black to white) layer over it (but only on the grey selection of course) and lower opacity! BUT you need to be careful that the tone is like in the original manga -use the sample thingy to take the right colors for your gradient- (I already told you how to use the gradient in the 1st topic I think?)

• Use the stamp tool, by having as a start point ( ALT + Click ) some place next to where you wanna remove the white cone so you get a uniform gradient (I don't wanna see a gradient gray with cones of "white" like on the floor that you see there)
~ btw, if you don't click anymore and the click again for using the stamp tool, it will stamp the new page that you just draw; if not then it still stamps the original page :o ~

Anyway the result should come out a bit like this: http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/2493/041023el.jpg
But PLEASE play the game if you wanna learn and don't copy from it IN ANYWAY (I'm just posting so that you know what it should look like at the end! look at is ONCE and close it.. you won't have a volume scan everytime you clean.. after all why clean magazine scans when we have THAT right? :p)

Originally posted by silveril - July 14, 2006, 05:38 AM
Since it looks like the previous Cleaning Challenge wasn't very popular, here's another one that's actually from a Jump scan. This time it's from a manga called "Kain":

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/8961/kain16zv1.jpg

Originally posted by shinwei - July 19, 2006, 08:03 PM
This challenge is mainly to test your redrawing skills.

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/9240/challenge4wt5.jpg

Originally posted by Fnuckale - August 11, 2006, 09:36 AM

TYPESETTING CHALLENGES
N/A

COMBINED CHALLENGES
Here's a simple page for some editing practice!
http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/9562/0459fi.jpg

Here's a checklist of things to do to the page:

• Slightly apply levels to the page.
  • Rotate the page so it's nice and straight.
  • Remove the text.
  • Resize the image so its height is 1100 pixels.
  • Typeset the page! (translation below)

Translation:
Panel 1

SFX: puff puff

Goku: Are you REALLY not going to have any?

Goku: It's almost ready to eat!

Bulma: SHUT UP! As if I could eat something like that!?

Panel 2

Goku: All right! Time for bed!

Bulma: You didn't brush your teeth yet!!

Panel 3

Goku: Wow! This futon is so soft! It feels so nice!!

Goku: I haven't slept with anyone in a LONG time!!

SFX: boing boing

Bulma: Who said we were sleeping together? Here's your blanket. You sleep over here.

Panel 4

Goku: We're sleeping separately?

Bulma: Of course!

Bulma: You're 14 already! If you try anything, I'll scream REAL loud, got it?

Panel 5

Goku: But I always used to use Grandpa as a pillow... it was really comfy!

Bulma: You are NOT using ME as a PILLOW!!

Solution:

Originally posted by shinwei - June 30, 2006, 07:24 PM
Here's another simple page for some editing practice!
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc145/DrPepperPro/misc/Dragonball_v01p110.jpg

Here's a checklist of things to do to the page:

• Slightly apply levels to the page.
  • Rotate the page so it's nice and straight.
  • Remove the text.
  • Resize the image so its height is 1100 pixels.
  • Typeset the page! (translation below)

Translation:
Panel 1

Bulma: We've got to get ashore so I can take out a Hoi-Poi Capsule for gas, so turn into an oar, okay?

Oolong: An oar, eh?

Goku: What good's a boar?

Panel 2

Oolong: Henge (transform)!!

Panel 3

Goku: One!

Goku: Two!

SFX: BLASH BLASH

Oolong: Glaa!! Glub!!

Oolong: Gentle, dude, gentle!! I'm delicate!!

Panel 4

Goku: All tied up!

Bulma: Great!

Panel 5

Oolong: Okay, I made myself useful! Now give!

Bulma: If you think getting your head dunked a little bit is worth a pair of panties, you are DERANGED!

SFX: jrble jrble

Originally posted by shinwei - July 14, 2006, 06:26 PM

This sticky was merged with the previous challenge discussion thread. The actual creation date of this sticky is April 16th, 2011.

Last edited:

Fnuckale

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Israel
Cleaning Challenge #01 - discussion thread

Discuss anything regarding the first cleaning challenge here!

destinator

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Re: Cleaning Challenge #01 - discussion thread

Uhm how hard is this pageto clean (rate it from 1-10)? Also I would like to know something about the middle frame in the bottom of the page. There is some japanese text and erasing that isnt a problem but for a HQ would good cleaners now redraw everything there and put the texte afterwards over it or just leave it like it is after killing text and put the text simply over it?

Are we allowed to add text xD? (still we dont have a translaion...)

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

that one doesnt look that tough except for the fact that the page is small so that makes the redrawing for the last middle panel kind of tough.

Fnuckale

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Israel

It's a cleaning challenge, des, so no, typesetting is not allowed :P
As for the difficulty rating.. well the raw is rather good, the grey areas aren't that hard and there isn't much redrawing needed on it. Of course it all depends on the quality you are aiming to. As a Rusher I'd give it a 5.[br]Posted on: June 28, 2006, 12:39:48 PM_________________________________________________The size doesn't make much difference either, just zoom in (sure hope you know how O_O").

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

In this case size does matter because even if you zoom in you still have the same amount of space to work with. I usually work with my own scans and they are usually 2000 height at the editing stage, so i guess 1100 is kind of small for me

Predator

Scientist of Anthropology
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man

Hehehehe, Fnuck ... you sure have chosen a nice picture for the first challenge! :tem

This will really reveal the true essence of cleaning. One must be a good artist to redraw the Zorro picture in the 7th frame. :p

I think you could as well give the ones taking the challenge a hint, how much time does it take to a Rush cleaner to do such a page. I bet it would be interesting to everyone.

destinator

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Yep I already wanted to ask about the time thing too..I just started working on it and well I guess it will take a lot of time...

Predator

Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man

des said:
Yep I already wanted to ask about the time thing too..I just started working on it and well I guess it will take a lot of time...
I'll just give you a hint.

When the RAW comes out there are many happy people and many busy people. MH staff and cleaners are the busy ones. We work for you to have a great time ... they work for you to have a High Quality Edited Mangas.
For MQ alone they work for 3 hours at least. To sum it all up, they work all the time from the moment RAW is released to the moment they publish their work. One person just can't make a regular HQ Edited Manga by himself as he would simply run out of time. 24/7 would not be enough.

That is why we value our Manga Editor groups so much. Underneath the weekly manga fix lies a lot of work.

But rather than reading this, I suggest you take a chance and at least try doing it (cleaning) yourselves.

Making people understand and appreciate the work of Manga Editors is one of the sideeffects we expect to get from this Academy.

destinator

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Predator_U said:
I'll just give you a hint.

When the RAW comes out there are many happy people and many busy people. MH staff and cleaners are the busy ones. We work for you to have a great time ... they work for you to have a High Quality Edited Mangas.
For MQ alone they work for 3 hours at least. To sum it all up, they work all the time from the moment RAW is released to the moment they publish their work. One person just can't make a regular HQ Edited Manga by himself as he would simply run out of time. 24/7 would not be enough.

That is why we value our Manga Editor groups so much. Underneath the weekly manga fix lies a lot of work.

But rather than reading this, I suggest you take a chance and at least try doing it (cleaning) yourselves.

Making people understand and appreciate the work of Manga Editors is one of the sideeffects we expect to get from this Academy.
Uhm I just asked how long skilled cleaners need for a page like this... :notrust

The rest of what you said is nothing new to me...because I already made several Edited Mangas(even most of them were just LQ's or MQ's but its still work)...And I've already learned a long time ago to appreciate the work of Manga Editors because usually the ratio of thank you postings to downloads is like 1:1000. I mean I could mention the last weeks chapter. Even with a LQ I had 4500 downloads but only like 5-6 people give me a "thank you". Thats why I have a lot of respect for all the Edited Manga groups and usually downloading/commenting all their stuff because thats what the people will keep up doing this for us...

edit: almost finished blacking everything now...

Fnuckale

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Israel

NeoShweaty said:
In this case size does matter because even if you zoom in you still have the same amount of space to work with. I usually work with my own scans and they are usually 2000 height at the editing stage, so i guess 1100 is kind of small for me
But it'll feel like you do =)

Oh and about the amount of time, it really does depend on what cleaner.
Quite frankly the Zoro frame is actually the easiest part and shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.
What would actually take a little while is removing all those SFX, although the only hard ones are for the middle frame and the middle bottom frame.
Bottom line is, this page shouldn't take longer than 1-2 hours.

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

Good point, lol

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

i was just telling you what need to be done for future reference. However, you did miss blacking the bandana. shame on you.

Fnuckale

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Israel

Well I will give you my opinion once you're done and you can't tell me "oh I was already planning on doing that".
Also, you don't have to remove the sfx, just saying why it'd take longer for us, Rushers.

Neo, about the dust, what's so weird about it? perhaps the raw page looks a bit weird cause I did some pre editing on it.

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

You know how the dust usually looks like specks, right? well here it looks like it has a texture to it. It looks like it was run through s denoiser or something

Fnuckale

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Israel

Yup, I can see what you mean.

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

remember, you dont have to make it perfect. You just have to show what you can do to fnuck and the other teachers.

Fnuckale

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Israel

It's not exactly about "do the best you can" but more like "do the best you can without bleeding your eyes" because even if you can (for example) clean the greys but it's super hard for you you still need to train with greys more.

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

I was thinking, why not give a time limit ? i mean maybe an hour or an hour and a half and see what you can do in that time because then you can really know what you do well rather than having all the time in the world to do something that you dont normally do well but can do well because you have all the time in the world

Predator

Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man

Time limit is something too hard to implement, and that's not the purpose of this section. We didn't make a section for pro cleaners to compete, who'll do it the fastest. Volounters come here to learn about cleaning.

That's why for the ordinary challanges there will be no time limits as in hours.
"Tests" are another thing. There might be some time limit, but also ... it will be human amount - several hours.