Shounen - Eyeshield 21 by MURATA Yuusuke and INAGAKI Riichiro | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Eyeshield 21 by MURATA Yuusuke and INAGAKI Riichiro

Sorata

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Don´t you think that Eyeshield 21 is a manga that goes beyond characters and action play??I was thinking and came to that conclusion, in every manga if you don´t like a character you don´t like the way he acts and even the way he fights or play, for example i hate Sasuke(Naruto) so even if he come up with a 300Chidori, 50Sharingan and if he puts one hell of a fight(against Naruto, Gaara, etc) i still can´t like those just because he is in it, the same goes to lot of characters like Myata(Hajime no Ippo), Ball(666 Satan), Mikagami(Flame of Recca), Kuchiki Byakuia(Bleach), etc.
So my point is that in Eyeshield 21 that don´t happens, for example Agon, i really hate that guy, but it rocks when Agon play against Deimon, all his plays were great and the "feeling" behind him is great as well, i was allways waiting for a new ES21 release to see more of Agon; so i think that everyone that reads ES21 has that feeling for those 5 characters - Shin, Agon, Ikkyu, Kid and Akaba: because even if you don´t like some of them you can´t help becoming stunn when you read their plays.
Adding that to a bunch of funny main characters and the "Commander of Hell"(Hiruma), Es21 is one of the top 3 manga that i read(i have already read more than 200 manga tittles of all types Shoujo, Shonen and Seinen).
Don´t you have the same feeling when you are reading ES21?????

The Eyeshield 21 forum is now closed. All discussion can continue in this thread. The forum can still be viewed here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chidoki

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Re: One of the best plot and art!!!!

I got that same feeling like Agon or Akaba or whoever else is amazing even if they are cocky or a total @$$ they are still brilliant geniuses or hard workers...the same feeling for all the other mangas (slightly different, meaning I don't hate them that much but the outcome of their defeat and such or whatever it is that is)

OS.Hoshi

Reaction score
Country
Guatemala

Lol, I COMPLETELY agree with you, Sorata. I give all my thanks to the genius behind all these lovable characters, writer Riichiro Inagaki. I have also read LOTS of manga titles. There are some that I get into just cuz the plot is somewhat interesting & the art style is nice. However, they usually don't fill me with excitement. I just read 'em cuz I really enjoy manga, but the characters OR the story don't capture me.

Es21, however, is a manga that far exceeded my first expectations. I even disliked sports!! But it was the characters that captured me so much... I like Naruto bcuz of the action, but my affinity does not grow for the characters. E21 is the opposite. I dislike Agon's personality, but in the end, his involvement in the plot & the AWESOME game he played againts Deimon was Amazing!! It's not that I like the guy now, but man, do I get glad to see him JUST cuz I know something cool will happen when he's around XD
& ALL the other characters too! Even Apollo who was racist, he turned out cool cuz it was him who had inspired Panther =D & I also enjoyed watching Yoichi toy with him! XD

Such has led me to think that having a writer AND and artist helps a lot. The writer can focus solely on the characters & plot, while the artist just worries about the art =] I noticed that some mangaka who make looong series sometimes forget little details from the past. E21, however, has adecuate usage of flashbacks. At some point, a character's dialogue will trace back to a SMALL event that happened in much much earlier volumes! Now THAT's really keeping in mind Everything that you've done! *applauds*

& of course, let's not forget that it's thanks to Murata-sensei's KICKASS art that E21 made it from writing to one of THE TOP BEST manga I've ever read ^_____________^

...thanks for taking the time to read my rambling...!! =P

Fullmetalsasukefreak

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score

OS.Hoshi said:
Es21, however, is a manga that far exceeded my first expectations. I even disliked sports!! But it was the characters that captured me so much... I like Naruto bcuz of the action, but my affinity does not grow for the characters.
*gasps* you disliked sports?1 I love sports, but before I read Es21, I though football was gay, but now I'm really interested in it. I play a little in Gym class sometimes, and even scored a touchdown once, although I'm a girl, ^^' I totally agree with you O.S.Hoshi. Naruto is awesome, but the plot is kinda getting duller, but the action scenes rock! ^^ I love the characters in es21 so much!!! XDDDDD especially Hiruma and Riku, they somewhat looked alike in the first few chapters Riku appeared in, in volume 16, I think. ^W^

oh yeah, O.S.Hoshi, where'd you get that signature?!! I luv it!!! ^___________________^

OS.Hoshi

Reaction score
Country
Guatemala

Fullmetalsasukefreak said:
oh yeah, O.S.Hoshi, where'd you get that signature?!! I luv it!!!
Thanks, I made it myself -^^- Took me HOURS @_@' (& if you look closely, u'll notice the shoulder looks kinda funny XD) It was inspired by the DeimonShinryuji game. Specially the interview where Yoichi explains why he plays Amefuto: "Because it's fun." =D

Xophien

Eroge Danchou
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France

I didn't like real Amefuto before ES21, I still don't like it, but that doesn't prevent me from cherishing ES21 like one of my favorite :amuse I've read a lot of mangas, watched a lot of animes, and it's true that there are way too few of them where I liked all characters like in Eyeshield (maybe Full Metal Alchemist). And I like Agon because he is insanely cool and truly evil :amuse

OS.Hoshi said:
Such has led me to think that having a writer AND and artist helps a lot. The writer can focus solely on the characters & plot, while the artist just worries about the art =] I noticed that some mangaka who make looong series sometimes forget little details from the past. E21, however, has adecuate usage of flashbacks. At some point, a character's dialogue will trace back to a SMALL event that happened in much much earlier volumes! Now THAT's really keeping in mind Everything that you've done! *applauds*
I totally agree with that, having a writer and an artist for a manga leaves enough time to the writer to plan carefully the story, and to the artist to make wonderful drawings. It's true that there are not that many mangas where a single mangaka manages to make awesome art while keeping an insanely good scenario for a long time (One Piece is one, Naruto isn't), and I always thought that if you took for exemple Karakuri Circus, awesomely written and poorly drawn by Kazuhiro Fujita, leaving him the writing part and getting Oh Great! (awesome artist and extremely bad writer of Tenjo Tenge) as the artist, Karakuri Circus would have probably been on the the best mangas of these past years (instead of that there's hardly anyone who know it exists...). There are a lot less mangas created by a team of writer/artist, but it seems to me that their overall quality is better (Eyeshield 21, Getbackers, and Shin Angyo Onshi are some of the best out there^^)

Part of the reason Es21 is so good is most likely because it is the work of two really talented individuals who seem to work well as a team, and, it's pretty obvious that they like creating it just as much as we like to read it :amuse

Musashi Gen

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Honestly, I even don't like watching Amefuto, considering the sight of being knock down by an opposing player. It was coincidence that lead me to become a fanatic to Eyeshield 21, when I visited this site for anime torrents. Eyeshield 21 didn't quite arouse my curiosity upon researching it in the Anime News Network. However, due to boredom, I tried surfing the net for the anime itself. Upon watching the anime, an intense flame of passion engulfed me that purges my very soul to read the manga itself. It was one anime and manga that I could relate in the real world, besides the ninjas and pirates..XD :p

Xophien said:
Part of the reason Es21 is so good is most likely because it is the work of two really talented individuals who seem to work well as a team, and, it's pretty obvious that they like creating it just as much as we like to read it :amuse
I totally agree. Without the efforts of these two talented individuals, Eyeshield 21 would not came into existence in the anime world. The plot and art is so cool that could even drive you to read more new chapters. Their team-up created the success of Eyeshield 21's popularity to readers like me. :amuse

manu

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

Oh i just noticed this topic. Well it seems that everyone here is like me in not enjoying football (please stop calling it Amefuto its ridiculous) at first but growing close to ES21. I read it from Shounen Jump but hated their slow release and thats how I came here, in search for ES21 not Naruto or Bleach cuz I didn't feel the same urgency. As for the team theory I have to agree that I can't imagine the manga being made from one author and still looking kickass but it is possible. Just look at Hunter x Hunter, though I guess Toshiga has expierence on his side.

As for really good plots and art manga that are also made from teams lets not forget Hikaru no go and Death Note. Those series both were addicting and actually had an end, hopefully eyeshield ends as good as those two mangas.

Xophien

Eroge Danchou
Reaction score
Country
France

manu said:
(please stop calling it Amefuto its ridiculous)
For me, football is the thing you call soccer in the US, and, unlike Amefuto, you actually use your feet to play it XD I'm never going to call a sport where you almost only use your hands football XD Hence amefuto :noworry

manu

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

well if you take japanese then you know only the japanese call it amefuto. just like they call basketball basuteki baloo i think. i suck at katakan, but the point is to call it amefuto when its a american sport sounds weird to a person from america. i guess no one wants to bother righting american football.

Musashi Gen

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Heheh...What matters most is that they are both the same, besides Amefuto kinda sound nice than American Football. ^^"

OS.Hoshi

Reaction score
Country
Guatemala

manu said:
As for really good plots and art manga that are also made from teams lets not forget Hikaru no go and Death Note. Those series both were addicting and actually had an end, hopefully eyeshield ends as good as those two mangas.
Mm, yesh, Obata's art is SO nice *_* & OMG! I JUST spoiled myself on the DeathNote ending & I'm horrified..! *mouth drops*

manu said:
i guess no one wants to bother righting american football.
Heheh, I use "Amefuto" simply cuz it's shorter than saying "American Football." (4 syllables vs 6) XD

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

While I can appreciate the fanboyism of ES21 going on here (as I'm a big fan myself), let's try not to make a habit of starting too many topics where we're basically just spamming about its awesomeness, 'kay, guys? ;)

I'm going to change this topic title to the ES21 Mega Convo, and make it more or less an all-purpose discussion thread of ES21. You can talk about how you started reading ES21, why you like it so much, etc.

ThE WoRm

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Israel
Re: ES21 Mega Convo

Didn't I give a deadline here? Oo
My message is gone, and so is my dignity on this one. Kay, I'll try keeping it up to one thread, if anything will pop up any time I'll just put it into here I guess...

Anyways, I've started ES21 because I was suppose to translate the anime into hebrew, got addicted, started watching the anime, and then moved to the manga, got addicted there, and on the releasing sprea of F-M I joined them as a cleaner, couple of days later, I've decided to start translating. That's how it all started!

Xophien

Eroge Danchou
Reaction score
Country
France

Sorry GK, it's true that though we, ES21 fanboys, are overall a lot less spamming nerds than Naruto fanboys, it's always quite hard to stay away from the spam wonderland^^"

Anyway, since this topic has now the goal of being an all-purpose ES21 thread, here's a thought I had while carrying my vacuum cleaner (yeah) : Isn't it a shame that we don't see a little more of the characters' families ? I mean, for all we know, it seems that everyone except Habashira and obviously Agon/Unsui and Natsuhiko/Suzuna have no siblings. (almost forgot about Ishimaru) I think it would have been nice to have some characters like a little brother for Kurita, various siblings for Toganou and Kuroki, and see them in the stands during the matches... :oh

I think Hiruma has an older sister, most likely in University and with another black book XD But will we ever know about Hiruma's family ? Will they visit him in the hospital after he gets trampled by the Gaousaur ? (or Ikari, at this rate ?) We already have many great characters, but still, I think it's too bad we don't see more of their families :amuse

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

I think we will learn more about Hiruma's family at some point. We did have that scene where his father was trying to call him on his phone. I have the impression that Hiruma and his father has a broken relationship, and I don't think he has any other surviving immediate family members...

I think ES21 actually shows more about the characters' families than most manga do. In some mangas, we never meet the protagonists' parents!

Btw, I started reading ES21 via Viz releases, in case anybody wondered. I think I'm glad I did, though - some of the early online scans had kinda botched translations. I doubt I would have kept reading if it hadn't been translated well, so I owe Viz one for that... even if they translated Hiruma's usual swearing differently - ie. "damn midget" instead ^^;

ThE WoRm

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Israel

Hahahaha, GK, did you read vol 6 with Viz scans? Please tell me no, because that one sucked (will forever hate vol 6 of Viz for what they did there)

I myself didn't really read the first volumes, started somewhere along the lines of volume 6, because I've seen all of those parts in the anime.

And well, that first post, how much it looked fanboyish from the topic was really throughtly and well made, made it hard for me to give a decision to what to do with it ^^"

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

This place needed a Mega Convo anyway, heh...

As for vol. 6 of Viz, I started reading the online scans at vol. 9, actually. So yeah, I read it. I went back to read the online scans of vol. 1-3 to see the differences, but I don't think I read the online scans of vol. 6. What's the difference you hate?

ThE WoRm

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Israel

The one where Agon meets Sena, I once had a folder of the "best of ES21", and that was in there, go through the scans of volume 6, and you'll understand, it's the part where Agon hits on Mamo and then Sena tries to do something, and Agon OWNS him, and after that, Sena does "conclusions about Agon" which was translated so poorly in Viz... ;;

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Hm, didn't see a difference between these translations. I just read Ya-Ha's online scan of chapter 51 and compared it to Viz's, nearly identical...? Page 5 of chapter 51, right?