Ninomiya

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
If Prince of Tennis was based upon character polls, the series would have been renamed "Atobe and friends."
LOL This is probably true.

On a serious note, Sanada has been Konomi's idea of the perfect "final boss" since Season 1. That's why Yukimura wasn't even mentioned until like the Kantou finals.
I agree.

I'm really convinced Konomi put all his effort into making Sanada the main boss, and came up with the idea of Yukimura later. Not to mention the source of the name "Sanada" that inspired Konomi to begin with.
Its possible. His initial final FINAL boss was meant to be Nagoya Seitoku, but due to the intense popularity of Hyotei and Rikkai, he replaced Shishigaku with Hyotei and Nagoya with Rikkai in the Nationals.
Thats kinda dumb to say ''Sanada''. His full name was ''Sanada Yukimura'' or ''Yukimura Sanada'' in Western Order so if thats your reason it justifies that both of them are the main bosses which is my belief. As Konomi showed them being best friends before we saw Yukimura even play.

That being said, it would be absurd to think Sanada shouldn't get screen time. He means just as much to the story as any other main character. He was once the biggest Antagonist, and now he is joined together with Echizen (the very person that was in conflict with him). The entire point is to show how "the good guy" and "the bad guy" are now on the same side and both growing alongside each other at rapid rates.
Yukimura was once the biggest antagonist. Prior to Sanada so was Akutsu.

Fayte

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yukimura was once the biggest antagonist. Prior to Sanada so was Akutsu.
Sanada had more development than Yukimura and Akutsu combined.

Brandnewkid

Reaction score
Country
United States
So not true. He just got more screentime than them. Didn't really develop that much. Akutsu got way more development than both of them.

EDIT: Scratch that, he actually did get more development than them. I forgot about Sanada's role in NPoT.

Last edited:

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
So not true. He just got more screentime than them. Didn't really develop that much. Akutsu got way more development than both of them.

EDIT: Scratch that, he actually did get more development than them. I forgot about Sanada's role in NPoT.
You were right as we were referring back to Part I and not NPoT.

---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 AM ----------

He didnt really get more than Yukimura. Yukimura's back story and even Akutsu's was just as deep as Sanada's.
In fact, we knew everything about Yuki by the time we saw him play.
His illness, almost dying, how tennis is his life just like Sanada's.

Also, from his intro, the moment we found out Sanada was only vice-captain, we kinda it wouldnt end just there and that he wasnt the final boss.
Also, because we saw Sanada in Regionals and the main goal of the manga was to reach Nationals, we knew there would be someone after the boss of the regionals.

Although I dont really like Sanada, Im not pissed he's getting loads of screentime despite his lack of popularity, im annoyed coz so many more popular characters have yet to be seen swing a racket. Had we seen some more Shuffles or just other popular characters get their ass kicked or show one new technique or ability it would be fine.

LetalHawk

Reaction score
Country
Spain
You were right as we were referring back to Part I and not NPoT.

---------- Post added at 02:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 AM ----------

He didnt really get more than Yukimura. Yukimura's back story and even Akutsu's was just as deep as Sanada's.
In fact, we knew everything about Yuki by the time we saw him play.
His illness, almost dying, how tennis is his life just like Sanada's.

Also, from his intro, the moment we found out Sanada was only vice-captain, we kinda it wouldnt end just there and that he wasnt the final boss.
Also, because we saw Sanada in Regionals and the main goal of the manga was to reach Nationals, we knew there would be someone after the boss of the regionals.

Although I dont really like Sanada, Im not pissed he's getting loads of screentime despite his lack of popularity, im annoyed coz so many more popular characters have yet to be seen swing a racket. Had we seen some more Shuffles or just other popular characters get their ass kicked or show one new technique or ability it would be fine.
He deserves it, a player like Sanada who was Echizen strongest rival apart from Yukimura, the player who defeated Tezuka, he deserves it, even if he does not have that much popularity, he's improving at a very fast rate, so it's natural that we'll see him get a huge spotlight in his next match against a top 5.

I know he isn't very popular and all, but he became one of Echizen's friends in Npot, from a rival, to a friend, they went together through the hell. Maybe sounds a bit crazy, but he deserves screentime.

Last edited:

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
He deserves it, a player like Sanada who was Echizen strongest rival apart from Yukimura, the player who defeated Tezuka, he deserves it, even if he does not have that much popularity, he's improving at a very fast rate, so it's natural that we'll see him get a huge spotlight in his next match against a top 5.

I know he isn't very popular and all, but he became one of Echizen's friends in Npot, from a rival, to a friend, they went together through the hell. Maybe sounds a bit crazy, but he deserves screentime.
At the expense of the many players who are more popular than him?
And so what, he wasnt the ONLY rival to Echizen. There was Atobe, Akutsu, Yukimura, Fuji and Kirihara. His improvement is due to his unnecessary screentime.
Other players were in the mountains besides Sanada who went through hell.
If you'd rather constantly see Sanada instead of Fuji then fair enough.

I honestly wouldnt mind all this sudden Emperor of Tennis manga, if Fuji had had a match by now or other more popular characters showed us some improvement. But no.

Fayte

Reaction score
Country
United States
At the expense of the many players who are more popular than him?
Yeah because we need to see more fodder like Kenya, Hiyoshi, Shishido, and Cancer just because they ranked higher than Sanada in a character poll? Why yes, yes at the expense of the players more popular than him. Just because someone is more popular than Sanada doesn't mean he wouldn't beat the crap out of them in tennis. The best players will always have screentime.

His improvement is due to his unnecessary screentime.
Unnecessary? By what standard? Konomi can do whatever the hell he wants.

If you'd rather constantly see Sanada instead of Fuji then fair enough.
Sanada would wipe his ass with Fuji. So yes, I would rather see Sanada.

I honestly wouldnt mind all this sudden Emperor of Tennis manga.
Smartest thing you said all day.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Yeah because we need to see more fodder like Kenya, Hiyoshi, Shishido, and Cancer just because they ranked higher than Sanada in a character poll? Why yes, yes at the expense of the players more popular than him. Just because someone is more popular than Sanada doesn't mean he wouldn't beat the crap out of them in tennis. The best players will always have screentime.
Not even what I said, I never said that he wont beat the crap out of them in tennis. Just talking about screentime. Wasnt talking about Kenya or Shishido but more importantly Marui the 5th popular character, Shiraishi and Fuji also.
Fuji is amongst the best players yet he has had little screentime so your slightly flawed here.

Unnecessary? By what standard? Konomi can do whatever the hell he wants.
We're talking about how most mangaka's do things. Making the popular characters get screentime IS the norm. No shit Konomi already does whatever the hell he wants by having DBZ tennis.

Sanada would wipe his ass with Fuji. So yes, I would rather see Sanada.
Your personal opinion against the hundreds and perhaps even thousands of the Japanese audience which is what matters to Konomi. Just dont get how the most popular characters who werent even fodder (Shiraishi and Fuji) can just get placed on the sidlines. Never seen a mangaka do that but I guess there is a first time for everything.

Smartest thing you said all day.
Well it is what it is hahaa. Although it pisses me off since Konomi has brought 52 MSers and showed... less than 20 in action. I still cant see why so much fodder was brought into U-17 Camp to do nothing. And so much High School fodder to do nothing. We can no longer predict the path of the manga at all. All guesses on MH have sucked eggs. Platypus eggs at that.

Brandnewkid

Reaction score
Country
United States
I dunno, I feel like Akutsu's character was much more developed than Sanada and Yukimura. It's kinda hard to say though, as Konomi did a good job with both of them. By developing Sanada, Konomi developed the whole Rikkai team. They all founght for him. We saw how much they strived for victory. With Akutsu, we met a character that gave even our shorty sue Ryoma the chills. Not to mention he had ties with Takamura. Then we get into Akutsu's ties with tennis itself. And then you have Akutsu inspiring Dan. And then you have Banji encouraging Akutsu's future with tennis. It was more than just one guy beating another guy; it was about how tennis changed a youth's life around.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I dunno, I feel like Akutsu's character was much more developed than Sanada and Yukimura. It's kinda hard to say though, as Konomi did a good job with both of them. By developing Sanada, Konomi developed the whole Rikkai team. They all founght for him.
Actually they were all fighting for Yukimura even more. So saying Sanada had more background would be totally wrong. Konomi has done a fantastic job with the characters in Part I, being careful with how he fodderized people.
(An example being St.Rudolph as they were fodderized nice and easy without stunning anyone as konomi carefully threw them away)

With Akutsu, we met a character that gave even our shorty sue Ryoma the chills. Not to mention he had ties with Takamura. Then we get into Akutsu's ties with tennis itself. And then you have Akutsu inspiring Dan. And then you have Banji encouraging Akutsu's future with tennis. It was more than just one guy beating another guy; it was about how tennis changed a youth's life around.
Totally agree. Which is why I say Ryoma had LOADS of Rivals to challenge. For Konomi to just focus on Sanada isnt like Shounen Jump Mangakas at all.

I also feel Shiraishi and Kirihara are heading for the fodder can. As Kirihara was once one of Ryoma's rivals.

Fuji Shusuke

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I've had enough of Sanada. I would be completely satisfied if a TnK serve hit his face. Anyway, anyone reckon these matches for 1st String will only finish at the end of next year?

LetalHawk

Reaction score
Country
Spain
The 1st string matches are going to take a looong time until they finish. They're still at the first match and 3 months have passed, maybe Konomi finishes it on June or July, so maybe at the end of 2013 or in 2014 lol

Last edited:

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
The 1st string matches are going to take a looong time until they finish. They're still at the first match and 3 months have passed, maybe Konomi finishes it on June or Huly, so maybe at the end of 2013 or in 2014 lol
Perfectly said. Dont expect it to end this year if one match takes 3months.

What dont you like about Tezuka, and who DO you actually like as a character lol.
This isnt the right thread for this btw. Continue here
From here @Kalel.

Kalel

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I like Atobe, Momo, and Kintaro. They have more personality. Tezuka bores me hell even Echizen. Though he has given Echizen more personality in SPoT.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I like Atobe, Momo, and Kintaro. They have more personality. Tezuka bores me hell even Echizen. Though he has given Echizen more personality in SPoT.
Ryoma is the main character. He will ALWAYS get more personality and his screen time will be never ending.
To be fair, Kintaro is 30th in the Popularity poll and Momoshiro didnt even make Top 30 this time.
I was wondering if you liked popular characters since you didnt like Tezuka but the ones you like the kids in Japan dont really like right now.

Kalel

Reaction score
Country
United States
Exactly kids. They like the girly looking guys. Sorry dude I'm in my late 20's and just don't see the appeal of boring or feminine looking characters.

Kalel

Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: PoT1: Seigaku vs. Rikkai (Kanto Finals) - Was It A Mistake?

This kid is 27.

The tier thread is opinions from other posters. This manga is illogical but I feel as if every now and then Konomi brings in things (tangibles) from real life that can explain how one player can beat another.

Come on son Inui plays M after he went against Yanagi. Sorry but as a former athlete its tiring to play a hard fought game against someone almost on your level then a fresh leg who is also almost at your level comes in to play. I know that's more real life but that's another thing about Konomi I don't like. He randomly picks who wins and lose. Kabaji and Taka-San lost the match but because they saved those two dude they get their pins. There are a lot of plot holes in the universe.

I hate the eyes shut design of any anime but Fuji has that killer look in his eyes when he opens that makes it seem like a serial killer type. You know its always the quiet ones. Yuki is actually in my top 10 favorite list because he doesn't need "super moves" and his design makes him unassuming but I can't get over the hair and headband. Maybe if he they had given him a deeper or more aggressive tone in his voice.

This is another reason why I hate Tezuka. Konomi has a hard on for him. He keeps getting better and better just randomly. In Ryoma's case he's the main protagonist so you can suspend your belief but Tezuka just getting stronger is weird unless he is setting it him up to be Ryoma's rival. Just bad writing on Konomi's part.
Konomi should learn from the people writing the anime. Little things they do like changing from Kirihari encounter with Tokugawa in the manga to Ryoma sets up that rivalry so much better.

Last edited:

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Exactly kids. They like the girly looking guys. Sorry dude I'm in my late 20's and just don't see the appeal of boring or feminine looking characters.
I see.
But the whole feminine character turning out to be amongst the strongest isnt a new thing haha.

Do you dislike Fuji Shusuke?
It brings a huge element of surprise.

Other examples are Adult Mammon and Adult Skull from Reborn! or the many Homosexuals and feminine characters from One Piece (Which is right now officially THE MOST popular manga according to official polls from Japan).

Your thing about Tezuka not having personality I can agree with. We've never had a match actually from HIS perspective like we do with other characters before until against Yamato.

But you like Tooyama Kintaro? Tbh, I just dont feel him as a character. His character is the standard Shounen Jump main character by having the main character of a Jump manga traits:

Far stronger physically than his physical appearance, much faster and tons of stamina than you would expect, gets excited over meat, Extremely stupid.

Problem is he aint the main character and it doesnt work so well for side characters.

Genesis

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Tezuka was for the most part treated as the ace character. Eventually he was given a weakness to add tension but beyond that small minor flaw he is pretty much perfect.

Brandnewkid

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ryoma Echizen: Pretty much a Mary Sue until the end of the original series but then became a Mary Sue again in the NPoT manga but was a pretty decent character in the NPoT anime;

Tezuka: SUPER MARY SUE. Absolutely perfect as a character. Even his injury makes him flawless. WUT? Even his game with Yamato didn't help, it made him a Hyper Mary Zuka.

Fuji: THE VIRGIN MARY SUE. FUJI IS TENNIS CHRIST.

Kintaro: One-dimensional kid.