Gear 2 vs. Gear 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Gear 2 vs. Gear 3

Jammer

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
so
Gear 2 - upgrade of speed, strength - so the imapct is probably similiar to a normal attack but the speed make it possible to land lots of hits for a small amount of time

Gear 3 - upgrade of size hence might - it could be quite destructive for static objects

and my opinion is that Gear 2 is way better cause with Gear 3 the bigger size is more difficult to control, easier to avoid cause the resulted attack is slower than an usual attack. also gear 3 has a side effect - chibi mode

rennokun

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Re: Gear 2 vs. Gear 3 (latest chapters) - possible spoilers

Gear 2 make luffy tired quickly and shotening his lifespan i wont say gear 2 way better since luffy can only use it in small period of time.
and for the gear3 luffy put air into his bone to make the bone bigger thats its strong

spactaa

Reaction score
Country
France

Gear 3 seems to be a killing strike. It's like comparing kaioken to kamehameha in fact lol.

Jammer

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria

ok but he said that Gear 2 evolves all his moves a step and it did but gear 3 increases power but lacks speed so it didn't increase the moves yet another step - it made them more destructive but not better

vlado

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score

lucchi says in chapter 422 (sumari and pics) that gear 3 is not better than gear 2.
luffy gets stronger , but he's way slower , and he can't react to lucci's hits....

spactaa

Reaction score
Country
France

Maybe we will see one day a gear 3 in gear 2 mode, since they don't seem to negate themselves...

vlado

Reaction score

yeah ...well luffy just invented them....he hasn't mastered them....

Deerkiller

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

If Gear 3 was that slow, Lucci would have dodged it

La_Muerte

Reaction score
Country
Dominican Republic

lucci didnt dodge gear 3 he took it head on, he thought it wasnt gonna be that powerful, plus i think that gear 3 could be more powerful cause luffy stayed a long time on gear 2 he might have gotten tired, imagine if he had went straight from gear 1 to gear 3, he probably woulda had more speed or he woulda been better energized

ILUVATAR

Reaction score
Country
Greece

well, now we know why he got that small when he smashed that door two chapters ago.... he destroyed the door with gear 3 and so he hadn't any air inside his bones so he was .....tiny :rofl so this shows us that gear 3 is a one shot move..... damn, this sucks a little bit don't you think?

Hermie

vs. The World.
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Norway

Newest chapter showed that the air is constant until he releases it, and he can use all his normal attacks with it. He sacrifices speed, but makes up for it with increased damage range

Jammer

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria

well that last chapter added some important details :smile-big
the fact that luffy can freely transfer the air inside his bones make the techique quite versatile... but then comes the ages-old question: does size matter?
a fusion between gear2&gear3 would be best but is it possible - it'll mean that in order to circulate faster his blood has to travel quite a long distance in his gigantic-bodyparts form

and yes - gear3 could get rid of the whole buster call in a minute but if it is against a single person - it's unreasonably destructive - i mean he destroyed the whole building where the fight begun just to punch a single lucci-bastard... :blink come-on... its visualy nice for a bad guy to get smashed and thing but... anyways i still like gear 2 best - it's way more elegant :eyeroll

Lohnt

Reaction score
Country
Greece

I don't think he can fuse Gear 2 and 3 logically.. Gear 2 increases blood flow thus his body would get tighter as if you have just finished a workout and all your muscles are pumped. Gear 3 pumps his bones which I assume he'd need his muscles to be relaxed to accomplish.. I dunno though I'm sure if Oda wants to he could work it out, but I'd rather that Gear 2 and 3 stay seperate and Luffy just learn how to use each of the 3 gears in different situations.

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Italy

Maybe, this is a stupid question, but: How can Luffy inflate his body/bones (I'm not sure)?

enis

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Israel

Luckas04 said:
Maybe, this is a stupid question, but: How can Luffy inflate his body/bones (I'm not sure)?
His whole body is made of rubber, as simple as that.

Gear 2 is better for the reason that it's faster. In other words, as the speed increases so does the power. The faster luffy's hits are, the more strong they are (To prove it, try throwing 2 rocks on something at a different speed, the rock which made most of the damage to that thing/made most of the sound when it hit was obviously thrown faster :P)
. Gear 3 is just a pump of luffy's bones to get him the giant's strength, but actually he is slower because of the fact that his muscles aren't strong enough to lift such heavy bones.
So if you do math, Speed + Power > Power. :P

kaiten

It's true that the faster an attack is, the more powerful it becomes, but there's always a limit to the amount of power that can be added by increasing the speed of an object or attack, as in the case of Gear 2. However, just because Luffy increased his speed and the speed of his attacks with Gear 2 doesn't mean that it's stronger than Gear 3. But since we don't know which one is more powerful, I will assume that they are the same strength. It just depends on the situation as to which technique is most appropriate.

In my opinion, Gear 2 is for melee combat with stronger than average opponents while Gear 3 is ideal for mass desturction. The reason Luffy used Gear 3 to fight Lucci after he used Gear 2 is because he knew his normal attacks wouldn't do a thing against Lucci, so Luffy had to resort to a powerful, yet inefficient method to deal with him or face the risk of dying. In addition, Luffy may have taken into account the fact that they were fighting in small room and anticipated Lucci's underestimation of Gear 3 and overconfidence in his fighting ability, to try to end the fight with one hit. (That is, if you believe Luffy is smart enough to think of this.)

silentz

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score

his bone..are made out of rubber as well...so ..just think of it as a rubber bone....

Lohnt

Reaction score
Country
Greece

enis said:
So if you do math, Speed + Power > Power. :P
Uhh.. that's like saying if you do the math 2 apples + 5 oranges > 100 apples.
We don't have mathematical figures to figure out how much strength each gears adds to Luffys own strength.

However we have seen:
Gear 2 can break steel (Tekkai)
Gear 3 can put a gigantic hole in a building much like all the uber powerful Logia characters (Enel, Crocodile, Ace) can.

So hopefully each can be used in different situations, against different opponents.

rennokun

Reaction score
Country
Australia

refii said:
Uhh.. that's like saying if you do the math 2 apples + 5 oranges > 100 apples.
We don't have mathematical figures to figure out how much strength each gears adds to Luffys own strength.
I agreed Gear 2 and 3 have their own advantages and disadvantages its depend which situation luffy use it

neomaster121

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

gear two has a stronger advantage over gear 3 for one theres less of a side effect and two gear 3 is strong but in gear two luffy is super fast as well as a bit stronger so gear 2 would beat gear 3 for me