Discussion - General Wuxia Discussion Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion General Wuxia Discussion Thread

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I made this thread to talk about all the various Chinese Webnovels out there. What have we learned reading Wuxia. What are we reading. What are our favorites. Which seires would we recommend others check out.

After spending the last month or so sorting through quite a few the ones I've settled on and am really enjoying are..

• Against the Gods
    My personal favorite. It follows the story gifted marital artist and spirit doctor who is killed and then awakens in the body of a young man who was poisoned. Inheriting that persons memories along with his own he sets out to life this new life to the fullest but before he can he's got to deal with his new body's crippled spirit veins.
  • Shura’s Wrath
    A LitRPG by the same author as Against the Gods about a guy with a checkered past whose adopted sister is terminally ill. But finds hope when he's offered the medicine he needs to save her in exchange for his help in saving a young girl from an arranged marriage. The catch is that in order to do that he must use a new virtual MMO to win a bet that she can't amass a greater fortune than that of her wealthy father. Supported only by her friends, our hero, and his numerous mob she'll need to do the impossible.
  • Tales of Demons and Gods
    After Nie Li dies in battle he awakens to find that himself in a familiar classroom in his own 13 year old body. Having accidentally activated a powerful artifact he has traveled back in time and returned to a youth in the city he saw destroyed, surrounded by the people he watched perish. So he resolves to make this time different and use everything he learned over the years to change that future.
  • World Defying Dan God
    Having been born without a spiritual vein Chen Xiang thought he would never practice martial arts. But, when falls while trying to collect herbs on a cliff side, lands in hidden pool where he finds a wounded goddess and demoness who offer him the chance he's always dreamed of in exchange for helping them restore their powers.

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thought I'd add this one to the list, I came across it a couple of days ago and it has an enormous listing of light novels tracked. You can even filter for story types and tags. I found it very easy to locate a huge number of possible stories but in the same vein, it's actually too much and you will find yourself trying out different ones and then losing track of what you wanted to read when you try to go back to one you wanted.

In other words, use book marks when you found one you might be interested in.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Found another really good one along the lines of Against the Gods that really drew me in called Long Live Summons!

It's really funny and might have my favorite main character yet. It's kinda like Against the Gods in the sense that it's a guy getting reincarnated into a pathetic guy's body who is a hopeless skirt chaser but where it's different is that this stories hero, Yue Yang, is even more colorful. He has to be the most entertaining liar I've ever heard too.

My favorite part of this series is when somebody corners him and asks about something he wants to hide, every singe time that happens he comes up with a massive overly elaborate preposterous lie.

The lies are so shameless and absurd that it leaves friend a foe both going....

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Oh and a resource I've found helpful for catching up on this super long WNs is Wuxia translations DL. It's basically a site hosting epubs archives for Chinese and Japanese web novel translations. I'm not a huge fan of reading 150 chapters at my desk I much prefer getting the epubs running them through Calibur and do my reading on kindle.

strixflash

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
My favorite is I Shall Seal the Heavens by Er Gen. The story is about a young failed scholar who is forced on the path of cultivation. The starting is slow but that's a given in wuxia/xianxia novels.

Meng Hao is one of the most well-developed protagonist out there. He is smart as he knows his limits. The reason I like him the most is because he cons people (sometimes not intentionally).

Please give a try if you are not reading it already. It's a great series. It actually has a well crafted plot...there are foreshadowings from the start. First season is slow but later on it gets really good. The humor is top notch.