Mag Talk - Gessan (Gekkan Shounen Sunday) | Page 16 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Gessan (Gekkan Shounen Sunday)

Torca

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland
That looks dope. I really like diversity in the last new serializations in Gessan.

We only got anime announcement for Houkago? No studio, cast yet?

HIGAN0

Reaction score
Country
Eyrie

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
An anime for Dorohedoro? Sweet jesus have mercy. I fucking swear, it better not be a CG abomination lol.

Edit: I'd say there's a 1% chance it will end up being good.

Torca

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Gessan push, what a miracle! As long as Hayashida name will get a spotlight I'll be happy with the adaptation.
Rei Hiroe doing new series while he's doing one or two chapters a year for Black Lagoon doesn't sound optimistic for it and for the new series too. Are there any new series starting? I know that people mostly care for big names but there were exciting newbies in Gessan so I would like to hear about that too.

Heiji

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Erika FUNAMOTO will start new serie 12/12.

Maiko OGAWA (Hitoribocchi no Chikyuu Shinryaku) will publishin oneshot 12/12.

Torca

Reaction score
Country
Poland
I actually remember the Erika Funamoto oneshot and this serialization seems to be adapting it into a proper full series, was quite cute. Noice.

Also now that I look at Maiko artstyle in this small preview it kind of resembles Adachi style a bit... Am I strange to see that? Or is this just coloring / male character design / pose vibe it gives?

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Maiko Ogawa (author of Hitoribocchi no Chikyu Shinryaku) will start a new series in 2019.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States

2018 was quite the year for Gessan! Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san had its anime adaptation and continues to sell like hotcakes, including a spin-off set in the future that sells nearly 1-to-1 with the main series that runs concurrently, a feat that's nearly unheard of. The romcom scene remains strong in the one, with Misoshiru de Kanpai! thankfully selling decently well and Kongouji-san wa Mendoukusai appearing to be doing decently as well. Mix continues to bring a strong sports presence to the magazine, and slice-of-life remains strong with Houkago Saikoro Club receiving an anime adaptation in 2018. Although it recently ended, there is also an anime in the works for long-time series Dorohedoro, so maybe Shogakukan should share this anime-awarding philosophy with its weekly counterpart. But right at the end of 2018, an additional 2 popular series concluded, so there's some big shoes to fill for the remaining series and future serializations. Only 6 series premiered during 2018, but 9 series concluded in 2018 (many of which were older).

On to the stats! Unsurprisingly, Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san had the most color pages this year with 6 in total. This surpassed the 2nd place series Misoshiru de Kanpai!, which only had 4 color pages. Perfect attendance was earned by 13 series this year: Aoi Honoo, Asagiro - Asagi Ookami, Mix, Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san, Houkago Saikoro Club, Misoshiru de Kanpai!, Kaiou Dante, Master Grape, Katakoi Scream, Koi ni Koisuru Yukari-chan, Kongouji-san wa Mendoukusai, Haru no Mushoku, and Zomviguarna. The lowest standard deviation (lower = position in the TOC changes less each issue; higher = position in TOC changes more each issue) goes to Kongouji-san wa Mendoukusai in a positive way and Seikan Bridge in a negative way.

As for prospects for 2019, I'd say more pushing of their flagship stuff for sure: Takagi + its spinoffs and Mix. Honestly, there are still more potential spinoffs I could think of for the Takagi franchise, and I can picture them milking it for all it's worth (and me loving every bit of it!). With the surprise announcement of a Houkago anime, I think that Misoshiru de Kanpai! should be next in line for an anime adaptation. It's sales are pretty good and it's getting decently popular, plus it could ride the fluffy romcom wave that Takagi has forged for the magazine. There are a few low-ranking series that I could see wrapping up this year to make room for more serializations; namely Zomviguarna, Haru no Mushuku, and Yuusha no Musume. None of these series seem all that bad to me, but it seems like they're failing to connect with Japanese readers. The author of Hitoribocchi is reportedly already coming back with something new, so that may be able to fill the void the popular series has left. I hope Gessan keeps following down the path of romcoms since most of the ones they've been churning out have been really enjoyable. But no matter what they end up doing, hopefully they find some success in 2019.

Tanzo

Reaction score
Country
United States

MangAniMY

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Season 2 please

MangAniMY