Shounen - Go-Toubun no Hanayome by Haruba Negi | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Go-Toubun no Hanayome by Haruba Negi

cody

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Joker

Title: Go-Toubun no Hanayome
Author and Artist: Haruba Negi
Genres: Comedy, Drama, Ecchi, Harem, Romance, School Life, Shounen
Serialized in: Weekly Shounen Magazine
Publisher: Kodansha

You can read it here

Synopsis:
Uesugi Fuutarou is a poor, antisocial ace student who one day meets the rich transfer student Nakano Itsuki. They argue but when Uesugi realizes he is to be her tutor, he tries to get on better terms. While trying to do so he meets four other girls.

PV

I really love this series.

Polisi25

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Manga/GoToubunNoHanayome

I have did some work on the Tv Tropes page, which is still under construction.
Anyway, for the manga that 4chan frequently spams and WSM's next big hit (I hope),

Strengths: A MC with character for a rom com, a simple premise that shows suprising amounts of pacing, strong art (always a plus for me) and a probable commercial goldmine if Kodansha and Negi are able to parlay the success into other ventures.

Weaknesses: Apperant that this series just stopped bothering with the studying aspects in favor of character relationship (Bokuben has the same problem, but there is still some attempt on teaching in that series) and unique settings (they don't even spend scenes in high school that often), a wonky beginning due to the female cast that some of them feels underdeveloped .

JOA20

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
I finished reading all the chapters up to date. What to say, for a romcom there seems to be some serious character development, and the story isn't episodic like other romcoms (I'm thinking about Nisekoi). I can't wait for the anime adaptation, though I'm confused about why the quintuplets' hair colours are not the same, despite the sisters often taking each other's place since they are almost always mistaken for each other. I hope the anime productors won't try to cram too many chapters into this season.

I dunno which one of the five's gonna be the bride (some people say it'll be all five: I frankly doubt it, though there must be some explaination for the ten or so wedding dresses). The one Fuutarou met in Kyoto as a child could be Yotsuba, since she was the first girl to warm up to him, and also she didn't help him when he got out of the lake after his meeting with "Rena", despite her personality.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Waiting for the first anime episode, let's talk about chapter 68...
What to say, I loved it. The whole sequence of the bells was very well done, I hope it'll be animated within a couple years or so.

I'll place my bets on Itsuki for now. I'd like Yotsuba to be the bride, but I have trouble seeing her doing so.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I just completed Chapter 60... Nino is really something... Poor Ichika can't catch a break.

I was planning to read one volume per day but I am not sure I can stop now...

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
subs

wow this thread is surprisingly so quiet...

I will read once my training is done

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
subs

wow this thread is surprisingly so quiet...

I will read once my training is done

Looks like I'll be the one waiting for you :fan.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Ichika has been caught,now she will repent.

JOA20

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Glad to see some people willing to discuss here. I'm looking forward to your comments.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Completed Chapter 68. Not much to read now. I think I'll read the rest tonight or tommorow. I can't get too caught up in this.

So, the one who kissed him is the bride, right? When I think about it, the most likely candidate to me are Ichika and Nino.

Ichika has been holding back all this time and she would be fine because of the disguise and there is Nino as well, who was trying to find an opportunity to kiss him. I don't believe Itsuki loves him and Miku disguising herself and doing something so ambiguous right after what she said to Ichika would be weird IMO.

Those were my thoughts but as I began typing this that bell legend came to mind... Miku and Yotsuba seem more superstitious than the others. If you take this into consideration, it becomes more complicated... In that legend the kiss is unneeded.

Itsuki is the only one I can comfortably rule out of this but you never know with flashbacks and stuff.

Ichika/Nino> Miku> Itsuki is my ranking all things considered, when I try to think about the one who kissed him.

Maybe with Nino slightly above Ichika because she seems more superstitious and is more impulsive? Yotsuba is either above the two oldest or right below in my ranking. She seems clueless at times but exclamation point and that kiss on the cheek after seeing Ichika embarrassed when they were trying to thank Futarou was a very important moment to me.

I believe that she loves him and is trying to hold back like Ichika was, but she has not been under pressure like her. She has that extremely low self-esteem too.

JOA20

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Completed Chapter 68. Not much to read now. I think I'll read the rest tonight or tommorow. I can't get too caught up in this.

So, the one who kissed him is the bride, right? When I think about it, the most likely candidate to me are Ichika and Nino.

Ichika has been holding back all this time and she would be fine because of the disguise and there is Nino as well, who was trying to find an opportunity to kiss him. I don't believe Itsuki loves him and Miku disguising herself and doing something so ambiguous right after what she said to Ichika would be weird IMO.

Those were my thoughts but as I began typing this that bell legend came to mind... Miku and Yotsuba seem more superstitious than the others. If you take this into consideration, it becomes more complicated... In that legend the kiss is unneeded.

Itsuki is the only one I can comfortably rule out of this but you never know with flashbacks and stuff.

Ichika/Nino> Miku> Itsuki is my ranking all things considered, when I try to think about the one who kissed him.

Maybe with Nino slightly above Ichika because she seems more superstitious and is more impulsive? Yotsuba is either above the two oldest or right below in my ranking. She seems clueless at times but exclamation point and that kiss on the cheek after seeing Ichika embarrassed when they were trying to thank Futarou was a very important moment to me.

I believe that she loves him and is trying to hold back like Ichika was, but she has not been under pressure like her. She has that extremely low self-esteem too.
Chapter 68 was one hell of a ride, right? All these flashforwards in succession gave an awful lot of info, the first time I read it I almost got a headache. Ichika and Nino, huh? I see why you'd say that. Ichika already tried to kiss him while disguised as Itsuki some chapters earlier, while Nino's train is at full speed (though she said it wouldn't mean anything if she kissed him in disguise). Miku sounds unlikely, yes, because of her very poor stamina (the mistery girl was breathing fairly normally despite running for a short distance) and because of what she told Ichika earlier on that day. Itsuki and Yotsuba are the least developed (romantically speaking), so they're both wild cards.
Good analysis on Yotsuba. In her chapter of the Last Exam arc, Fuutarou finds out that Yotsuba feels guilty for forcing her sisters to change schools (though it was their own choice).

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
Chapter 68 was one hell of a ride, right? All these flashforwards in succession gave an awful lot of info, the first time I read it I almost got a headache. Ichika and Nino, huh? I see why you'd say that. Ichika already tried to kiss him while disguised as Itsuki some chapters earlier, while Nino's train is at full speed (though she said it wouldn't mean anything if she kissed him in disguise). Miku sounds unlikely, yes, because of her very poor stamina (the mistery girl was breathing fairly normally despite running for a short distance) and because of what she told Ichika earlier on that day. Itsuki and Yotsuba are the least developed (romantically speaking), so they're both wild cards.
Good analysis on Yotsuba. In her chapter of the Last Exam arc, Fuutarou finds out that Yotsuba feels guilty for forcing her sisters to change schools (though it was their own choice).
I posted this in the anime thread,

JOA20

Reaction score
Country
Italy
I posted this in the anime thread,

Mad props to Negi if this is actually a hint, though I believe Itsuki also took that pose in some panels.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
Mad props to Negi if this is actually a hint, though I believe Itsuki also took that pose in some panels.
How do you think about Ichika's villainy?

JOA20

Reaction score
Country
Italy
How do you think about Ichika's villainy?
Gonna put it under spoiler since there are some things from chapter 81, still untranslated (from Japanese, that is)...
While I believe she's totally in the wrong, it isn't like I can't see why she turned out like this. Before her mother's death, Ichika was a troublemaker who had no qualms taking her sisters' things for herself (see Yotsuba's memories in ch. 66). Becoming a good elder sister for Itsuki's sake might have been a little too sudden. It was fine as long as they were in the old house, but when they moved out in order to keep being tutored by Fuutarou Ichika had to shoulder the rent and food costs by herself, not to mention she had less time to be with both her sisters and her crush. Even when she made it clear the rent would be equally split between the quints, she was still the least present one at Fuutarou's lessons. All the stress and loneliness she felt, coupled with her sisters' words, made the ugly mess Ichika is now, a yandere who's fine with dressing up as her sisters to further her own agenda. At the very least, looks like Nino managed to wake her up in chapter 81 by reminding her that their bonds as quints are just as important as their love life.
I'm pretty curious about how Negi plans to develop Ichika's character now. If the manga is gonna end in a couple volumes (unless the mangaka wants to start a new cycle of covers), it might be time to start trimming down the list of bride candidates.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Caught up. It feels like I chose the worst moment for it. Things are getting so complicated. Yotsuba surprised me in this chapter, she is more perceptive than I thought. Did she know that Ichika loved Futarou all this time? Anyway, her talk with Futarou was nice. Everyone can't be happy like that. So she too should not hold back for the sake of her sisters.

What Ichika did is definitely low, but I can't help but feel sorry for her after everything she experienced. It's crazy how the two big sisters are moving the plot.

JOA20

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Caught up. It feels like I chose the worst moment for it. Things are getting so complicated. Yotsuba surprised me in this chapter, she is more perceptive than I thought. Did she know that Ichika loved Futarou all this time? Anyway, her talk with Futarou was nice. Everyone can't be happy like that. So she too should not hold back for the sake of her sisters.

What Ichika did is definitely low, but I can't help but feel sorry for her after everything she experienced. It's crazy how the two big sisters are moving the plot.
I agree, I've never been this eager to read the next chapter of 5TnH. I'm more curious compared to last week, even though there was the Ichika VS Miku/Yotsuba showdown. Wonder what Ichika will tell Fuutarou. Will she confess her crimes? Probably, but with Negi you never know. Fuutarou has likely understood who's the culprit behind the "fake Miku" incident. Nino's talk with Miku is interesting, too. The two are like cats and dogs, so we might get some funny exchanges despite the serious mood. What about Itsuki and Yotsuba, though? Since one day out of three for the school trip has already passed, "Rena" should make her move soon if she wants Fuutarou to discover her true identity.
Regarding Yotsuba, she's been the center of this arc for a while now. Her talk with Fuutarou was both sweet and serious, since it delved deeply into her philosophy and will definitely come up later (I'm expecting a breakdown from her sooner or later).

It's the second day out of three of the Kyoto trip. Yotsuba and Itsuki are by themselves, Miku stays in her room pretending to be sick.
The two youngest quints are at Kiyomizu-dera and meet Fuutarou who's searching for Miku. Itsuki tries to make him remember about five years ago by making Yotsuba take a photo of them.
Meanwhile, Nino disguises as Miku to slip in the room and have a serious talk with her sister.
At the end, Yotsuba and Itsuki lose sight of Fuutarou. The fourth quint asks her youngest sister if she's hiding something.
Fuutarou is being pulled away by Ichika disguised as Miku who intends to tell him about the photo.
Nice confrontation between Nino and Miku, gotta say. The page where the former talks about love and we see all five quints is quite fascinating.
I'm a little disappointed in Ichika, but I'm curious about what she plans to tell Fuutarou. I think the mistery of the photo is about to be unveiled.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Ichika please, stop this :scry. That plan doesn't make sense, she is clearly desperate, she needs to calm down.

How many times do these girls need to be reminded that they are quintuplets :XD. I wonder what Miku will do now that Nino made her feel better. Yotsuba and Itsuki's discussion should be interesting.

JOA20

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Ichika please, stop this :scry. That plan doesn't make sense, she is clearly desperate, she needs to calm down.

How many times do these girls need to be reminded that they are quintuplets :XD. I wonder what Miku will do now that Nino made her feel better. Yotsuba and Itsuki's discussion should be interesting.
Yeah, unless Ichika is actually little Rena her plan has no chance of success, and Fuutarou could get very pissed at her for trying to impersonate the girl who changed his life.

True that, the quints seem to believe their sisterhood is normal. I don't think Miku outgrew her meekness with just that, though. Yotsuba and Itsuki's conversation has quite the potential, since it could unveil some details about what happened five years ago.

I don't like Manga Editor drama, but whatever. Both dropout and 5toubunsc/a/ns are good, though I prefer the latter since they have the same translators from /a/.
Fuutarou was pretty cool in how he unveiled Ichika's lies. He was just disappointed at first, but when Ichika said she was the child he met five years ago he seemed quite pissed. It'd be tragic if Ichika was actually telling the truth about meeting him as a child.
The mood in the hotel room was heavy, but Yotsuba dispelled it in less than a second. No wonder she's the quints' mood-maker.
Miku's been quite disappointing as of lately. The fact she apologized to Ichika was just wrong.
Looks like the eldest sister took a backseat for now, but I don't think her yandere phase is totally over.
Disappointed that nothing came out of Yotsuba's question to Itsuki in chapter 82.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
Attack on Titan × GoToubun no Hanayome anime OP collab called Shingeki no Hanayome coming April 28. Promo images..

JOA20

Reaction score
Country
Italy
I can't for the life of me get how this is supposed to work...