Life - Good Deeds - A feel good thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Life Good Deeds - A feel good thread

Brede

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Have you ever witnessed or been at the receiving end of a good deed? How did it make you feel? Brightened up your day? Restored your faith in mankind? Made you feel good didn't it? (At least I hope it did). So in the style of the movie 'Pay it Forward' and the Chicken Soup for the Soul books, here's a thread to share those great moments and to spread the joy of humanity. To get the ball rolling, here's one of mine:-

It happened on the day of my final exams. My friend came to pick me up. As we were driving, the Car suddenly stopped dead. Tried as we might, the engine just would not re-start. We called for a Taxi. The operator told us there were none near our area. By now, we were in a fair panic because it was getting late (the exams u remember). Just at that moment, a Car drove by. The driver (who happened to be sending his son to school at the time) actually stopped to help us. This is a 'miracle' in itself because nowadays ppl hardly ever stop to help for fear of highway/road robbers.

Not only that, when he realized that the Car engine would not start, he gave us a lift and sent us to the doorsteps of the exam hall! We were in such a panic at that point that we just said a hurried thank-you and dashed off. We forgot to ask his name and we don't even remember his Car plate number. Because of him, we made it to the exam in time.

So Mr.X, if you ever happen to read this, THANK YOU V V MUCH! I hope your son didn't get scolded for being late to school that morning.

P.S. We both passed the exam!

karasu

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
hm.. mine wasn't big.. but it just happened yesterday...

i was running to my class with an on laptop on my right hand (i'm doing my assignment before and couldn't turn it off) and on top of the laptop was my removable hard disk, and some papers: my test run results, my test reports, source codes, etc...and on my left shoulder is my laptop bag, and on my left hand is my Java book..

so i was walking fast to my class downhill when i accidentally dropped all my papers... and i put my book on the ground, and trying to pick up all with my left hand, and the wind blew one paper away.. i ignored that, and pick up the rest... when i got up, i look back to find the paper that got blown away.. and there's this guy who already picked the paper up, and gave it to me.. "here you go, Mate!"

i said thanks,.. grabbed the paper.. almost crumpled it though coz all my hands are full...
then i rushed back to my class...

a small thing...but i couldn't have made it to class in time if i were to walk back, put the stuffs on the ground again and pick the paper up...
thanks matey!

white silver

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
This happened to me sometime ago:

It was a very late night and I was out going for a late meal. As I was to go back home, I stopped by a street light. On the opposite side there was a mentally-handicapped person (and a very weak one too in a wheelchair). Because the road looked empty, the people started to walk, the handicapped guy followed them (thinking it was okay). For me, I always (well, sometimes) obey the traffic rules even if the road is empty and so did the other people right next to me. So obviously the other pedestrians made it but because the road was a little "humpy" the guy in the wheelchair had trouble going over that "hump" RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD. And guess what, nobody was helping him and to make it worse, he was 5 SECONDS away from a fast moving bus (these people are CRAZY I tell you, they go fast late at night) so I ran and brought the guy BACK to the street. Instead having a "feel good" factor after that "good samaritan act" I was pissed. Everybody was EXPECTING for that poor handicapped guy to be demolished to pieces, like a nuisance have been eradicated from this world. And all of them started to look at me funny! Those are the biggest bitches in the world I tell you. They were watching it from the sidelines expecting that guy to make out by himself CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I was working in this franchise. It was a dull work and a tiring one as well. Sometimes, I need to stand like 9 hours a day without much break. I was a new trainee and I had never felt as tired as I was a few hours ago. Then, one customer came in. She was carrying her child and also she came with an old lady (I suppose she should be her mother or mother-in-law). There's no one in the whole restaurant that could understand her except me. Why? Because she can only understand chinese and I'm the only chinese worker there. So I patiently stood there for about 5 minutes trying to take her orders and so on. Then, I placed their food and I saw her and that old lady eating the meal peacefully and happily with that little kid. And when it came to pay the bill, she gave me the money and I returned her the change. She refused to take the change and gave it as tips to me. It's only 15 cents which is about 0.04 US dollar. However, seeing how a small family can gather around, having a nice meal together really makes me feel like I have done a good deed. I feel a sense of pleasure in my mind knowing that these people come to eat happily and leave happily. Even though the tips isn't that big, it is still the most precious 15 cents I have ever received. Its hard to explain in words really. XD

Brede

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Just saw this on a recent business trip. The plane touched down at some distance from the airport terminal. All the passengers had to disembark and make their own merry way to and up the stairs of the terminal building. Ahead, I saw this old lady struggling with her hand luggage trying to get up the stairs.The other passengers were just hurrying past her. Then 2 youngsters stopped. 1 helped to carry her hand luggage and the other helped her up the stairs.

:smile-big That sure made my day!

karasu

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
hm..this is my dad old story though...
there was a big rain over jakarta and floods everywhere..
that day, my dad returned from singapore..
he brought us Pizza from singapore... (i'm dead serious, it's from his friend's store Canadian Pizza.. and coz it's his friend's, he mixed and add anything he like himself, pepperoni, salami, extra cheese, olives..you name it..)

then, of course, we couldn't pick him up from the airport..
heck, we can't even get out coz most of the main roads are flooded...

so my dad told me this story after we finally were able to pick him up...

that day, in the airport, there were a lot of people can't go back home...
travellers, taxi drivers, workers...
and.. some of them have stayed in the airport for as long as 2 days..
and in the airport, there were food courts, dunkin donuts, mcdonalds etc..but of course without the supplier, and high demand of food, they ran out of stock quickly...

so my dad was hungry too... he wanted to bring the pizza home so he thought he would ate just a little...
when he opened it...smells of pizza spreading everywhere (maybe a coincidence..but my cousin is cooking pizza right now...maybe it's because of that i remember this story..)
a lot of hungry people were attracted by the smell.. they were willing to pay a fortune for one box of pizza (my dad brought 3) well..of course my dad wasn't money minded at all..so he called a lot of hungry people around to share all those pizzas...of course it wasn't enough at all..some mothers had to share with her kids, friends shared with each other... well really, it's the thought that counts i think...
when we got our dad back, he was smiling as if his several extra hours at the airport was nothing...
i guess that's a payback enough..
[br]Posted on: May 31, 2006, 03:45:01 AM_________________________________________________and by the way..of course..we didn't get our pizza.. but we're glad coz we were worried all the time about our dad...
doesn't matter.. when i was in singapore, i got invited to my dad friend's place all the time... self-modified pizza is the best..

Imperium

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
I got this email the other day. It was incredibly moving...:scry

SHAY'S HOMERUN
People always say how mean kids can be, never how nice they can be.
This story will either make you cry, give you cold chills or just leave you cold, but it puts life into perspective!

At a fundraising dinner for a school that serves learning-disabled children, the father of one of the school's students delivered a speech that would never be forgotten by all that attended.

After extolling the school and its dedicated staff, he offered a question.
"Everything God does is done with perfection. Yet, my son Shay cannot learn things as other children do. He cannot understand things as other children do.

Where is God's plan reflected in my son?" The audience was stilled by the query. The father continued. "I believe," the father answered, "that when God brings a child like Shay into the world, an opportunity to realize the Divine Plan presents itself and it comes in the way people treat that child."

Then, he told the following story:
Shay and his father had walked past a park where some boys Shay knew were playing baseball. Shay asked, "Do you think they will let me play?"
Shay's father knew that the boys would not want him on their team. But the father understood that if his son were allowed to play it would give him much-needed sense of belonging.

Shay's father approached one of the boys on the field and asked if Shay could play. The boy looked around for guidance from his teammates. Getting none, he took matters into his own hands and said, "We are losing by six runs, and the game is in the eighth inning. I guess he can be on our team and we'll try to put him up to bat in the ninth inning."

In the bottom of the eighth inning, Shay's team scored a few runs but was still behind by three. At the top of the ninth inning, Shay put on a glove and played in the outfield. Although no hits came his way, he was obviously ecstatic just to be on the field, grinning from ear to ear as his father waved to him from the stands.

In the bottom of the ninth inning, Shay's team scored again. Now, with two outs and the bases loaded, the potential winning run was on base. Shay was scheduled to be the next at-bat. Would the team actually let Shay bat at this juncture and give away their chance to win the game? Surprisingly, Shay was given the bat.

Everyone knew that a hit was all but impossible because Shay didn't even know how to hold the bat properly, much less connect with the ball. However, as Shay stepped up to the plate, the pitcher moved a few steps to lob the ball in softly so Shay could at least be able to make contact.

The first pitch came and Shay swung clumsily and missed. The pitcher again took a few steps forward to toss the ball softly toward Shay. As the pitch came in, Shay swung at the ball and hit a slow ground ball to the pitcher.

The pitcher picked up the soft grounder and could easily have thrown the ball to the first baseman. Shay would have been out and that would have ended the game. Instead, the pitcher took the ball and threw it on a high arc to right field, far beyond reach of the first baseman.

Everyone started yelling, "Shay, run to first, run to first." Never in his life had Shay ever made it to first base. He scampered down the baseline, wide-eyed and startled. Everyone yelled, "run to second, run to second!" By the time Shay was rounding first base, the right fielder had the ball. He could have thrown the ball to the second baseman for a tag. But the right fielder understood what the pitcher's intentions had been, so he threw the ball high and far over the third baseman's head. Shay ran towards second base as the runners ahead of him deliriously circled the bases towards home.

As Shay reached second base, the opposing shortstop ran to him, turned him in the direction of third base, and shouted, "run to third!" As Shay rounded third, the boys from both teams were screaming, "Shay! Run home!"

Shay ran home, stepped on home plate and was cheered as the hero for hitting a "grand slam" and winning the game for his team.

"That day," said the father softly with tears now rolling down his face, "the boys from both teams helped bring a piece of the Divine Plan into this world."

And now, a footnote to the story: We all send thousands of jokes through e-mail without a second thought, but when it comes to sending messages regarding life choices, people think twice about sharing. The crude, vulgar and sometimes the obscene pass freely through cyberspace, but public discussion of decency is too often suppressed in school and the workplace.

If you are thinking about forwarding this message, you are probably thinking about which people on your address list aren't the "appropriate" ones to receive this type of message.

The person who sent this to you believes that we can all make a difference. We all have dozens of opportunities a day to help realize God's plan. So many seemingly trivial interactions between people present us with a choice; do we pass along a spark of the Divine-love that God gives to us every day?

Or do we pass up that opportunity and leave the world a bit colder in the process?

You have two choices now:
1. Delete this.
2. Forward it to the people you care about.

gdupninja

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hmm well I can think of a recent one. There was some homeless guy by the corner store who was carrying his laundry bag. I didn't have any money so I gave him my bus pass. It was like 10 something at night so I figured he could at least use it to go somewhere, I dont know I was just trying to be nice.

Akiyama

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
This happened today while I was in math class.

I was studying for my quiz 10 minutes before class was to start. My eyes are quickly reading my notes my friend shows up. As she walks towards me we hear the sound of shattering glass. We both look down and we noticed a fruit juice glass bottle had been broken on the floor. She quickly realizes that her book bag knocked the bottle off the desk above her while walking by. Everyone is speechless, just gazing at the orange liquid that was quickly moving in all direction like a snake. I stand up and tell her, "no big deal, let's go get some paper towels". We both head to the bathroom and get huge rolls of of that crappy paper that absorbers nothing. I begin to pick up the glass and she wipes up this sticky juice. We both finished cleaning right before class started. Sure I could have just stayed still and studied for a quiz but helping out a friend is better any day. That girl whose drink was ruined didn't say anything, it will teach her a lesson not to put breakable things at the edge of a desk.

Last edited:

raptor02_2001

Reaction score
Country
United States
last year, i work at Food store ... ( i am on Meat dept.)
aftermath Ike ,, one of my customer need in money and food ... ( i know repeat customer of Store) ... i give her money and i paid for her food because i knew she have few children... but She dont want it ( i knew she need to feed her children since her job was closed for while .. she can't get paid ... ) ...

she return in store in few month later .. brought cooked dinner for me .. I am so happy to help her family... I told my family ,, my family proud of me ... i can't cry about it ...
my family and i join in Hope star for help homeless and people need help ... it is that is amazing for help people ... I believe Good Deed is important to my family and I because we are happy after we can help them ...

Please lend hands to people in needs and Homeless place ..

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, exactly a week ago there was this kid in the tube tryna sell his mixtapes and in all honesty I didn't have any money on me. B4 i got off, i gave the kid props and said to him that i respect his hustle and gd luck for the future!

Last edited:

pirateninjahunter

Reaction score
Country
United States
My teacher had created random groups from the students that were in our history class. There was a group where its members did not know each other.

One day, the teacher reserved his class to help students that needed help. One of the students arrives to ask the teacher something. The teacher than said: Hey, I just saw the member of you group that you guys were trying to find. He just left.

I told the teacher and the student that I would follow him and bring him back. I ran, found the guy and told him that the missing member was there. We went back together and I presented the two. Nobody said thanks, and it really annoyed me!