Discussion - Google buys YouTube for $1.65B | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Google buys YouTube for $1.65B

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Just read this in my local newspaper today.

Google buys YouTube for $1.65B

"Internet search leader Google is snapping up YouTube for $1.65 billion, brushing aside copyright concerns to seize a starring role in the online video revolution.

The all-stock deal announced Monday unites one of the Internet's marquee companies with one of its rapidly rising stars. It came just a few hours after YouTube unveiled three separate agreements with media companies to counter the threat of copyright-infringement lawsuits.

The price makes YouTube Inc., a still-unprofitable startup, by far the most expensive purchase made by Google during its eight-year history. Last year, Google spent $130.5 million buying a total of 15 small companies.

Although some cynics have questioned YouTube's staying power, Google is betting that the popular video-sharing site will provide it an increasingly lucrative marketing hub as more viewers and advertisers migrate from television to the Internet.

'This is the next step in the evolution of the Internet,' Google Chief Executive Officer Eric Schmidt said during a conference call Monday.

YouTube will continue to retain its brand, its new headquarters in San Bruno and all 67 employees, including co-founders Chad Hurley and Steve Chen. Meanwhile, Google will continue to run a less popular video service on its own site..."

You can probably find more about this transaction on the net. What do ya guys think, though? I know there are plenty of us who like to use YouTube here, so thought this turn of events would be very interesting to everybody here. :/

DemonDays

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
England
Google better not mess YouTube up, or start to censor it too much.
And it's also my opinion that $1.65 billion is a LOT for one website, that money could have been put to far better use...such as speeding these Naruto fillers along.

Hopefully they'll still keep anime because i heard a rumour they were removing it from the site, but that was ages ago.

venicia777

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
i read this today. That was some news. And youtube keeps its label. If i were one of the founders that amount of money is super incredible== wheww!!!

we just have to wait to see what happens.

Lohnt

Reaction score
Country
Greece
I find it incredible that something like Youtube is worth 1.65 billion.. then again I never understood blogs, and those companies are sadly worth about as much.

However, I must say kudos to the inventors, 19 months worth of work have been exchanged for 1.65 billion, split amongst investors, stock holders, workers and themselves, I figure they each made around 200-400 million each. And that in itself is incredible. Could you imagine waking up one day, going to work like any other day, and then finding out less than 2 of your lifes years have been worth more than what 100 people make in their lifetimes.

jamail

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Afghanistan
I think you should read Mark Cuban's comments on any transaction involving Youtube...

He is saying that anybody who buys google is a moron. for the reason that it is not a value for money investment. the ones that are posted at youtube are personal videos who nobody cares about or pirated videos.

its a nasty comment

mugen

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
They are removing animes from Youtube.
I hope they don't just delete everything cuz that's the place where I watch it. :scry

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Where did you hear that news Mugen? That's awful news if true.

Lohnt

Reaction score
Country
Greece
jamail said:
I think you should read Mark Cuban's comments on any transaction involving Youtube...

He is saying that anybody who buys google is a moron. for the reason that it is not a value for money investment. the ones that are posted at youtube are personal videos who nobody cares about or pirated videos.

its a nasty comment
So, how does that affect Youtube's creators profit? And people obviously do care, just because a jealous Mark Cuban who sold his google stock early isn't profiting doesn't mean the stock itself hasn't been rising in the last couple of days.

mugen

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Gold Knight said:
Where did you hear that news Mugen? That's awful news if true.
Well you see they always remove them every 2 months or so but now that google owns it. Most likely it's going to be more often or they're going to be more strict about it.

jamail

Reaction score
Country
Afghanistan
refii said:
So, how does that affect Youtube's creators profit? And people obviously do care, just because a jealous Mark Cuban who sold his google stock early isn't profiting doesn't mean the stock itself hasn't been rising in the last couple of days.
Ouch!!! Do you have Google stocks? Can i buy some of those?

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
eaballer10 said:
I meant the news about them removing anime, Ea. I knew Google brought YouTube, take a look at who started this thread ;)

Mugen said:
Well you see they always remove them every 2 months or so but now that google owns it. Most likely it's going to be more often or they're going to be more strict about it.
I see. Well... time for another "YouTube" to appear, I guess, who won't be as strict about such things. I think Google made a boneheaded move. The reason YouTube was so popular was because it had so many programs on it that people could watch directly and without expense.

Although knowing that Google tried to start up a video search of its own, they wanted to kill two birds with one stone - one, eliminate the competition, and two, add to their collection.

Lohnt

Reaction score
Country
Greece
jamail said:
Ouch!!! Do you have Google stocks? Can i buy some of those?
Buying right now would be a waste.. if I was ever going to buy Google stocks it should have been in its first year.. when someone suggested I should buy stocks (on a public forum) but I was a stupid broke high school kid and I had no clue Google's stock would be trading at 70x what it was trading then.

waldo

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
thats really a big money... what if google buys MH in oozing dollars? Will you guys sell it? hehe...

just a hypothetical question... :)

as if...

mugen

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
no i doubt Mh would be sellouts

waldo

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
hehe... :)

alekosss_kenpachi

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Greece
HAHAHAHA i will buy MH and will give 1.65B $ to hire many translators and Manga Editors to get our mangas ASAP!!!!!!!!!!

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
Reaction score
Country
United States
alekosss_kenpachi said:
HAHAHAHA i will buy MH and will give 1.65B $ to hire many translators and Manga Editors to get our mangas ASAP!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, that's very noble ofyou to do so. :O I'm impressed by your determination and courage. :thumbs

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Interesting question, if we would sell Mangahelpers for a lot of money. I'll refer to NJT for that one. :D

Thing is what makes MH so special is the community and staff, and that's just something you can't buy with money.

waldo

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Gold Knight said:
Interesting question, if we would sell Mangahelpers for a lot of money. I'll refer to NJT for that one. :D

Thing is what makes MH so special is the community and staff, and that's just something you can't buy with money.
hehe... but that is really big money... damn big!!! how about sell it then made a new community... then spend the money to throw an ultra-mega-gigantic party to all the MH community around the globe... that would be a perfect event... hehe and the party is also for the opening of the new community... hehehe :) (just thinking wacky stuffs hehehe)