Shounen - Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu by Tanigawa Nagaru, Tsugano Gaku & Itou Noizi | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu by Tanigawa Nagaru, Tsugano Gaku & Itou Noizi

Which Haruhi Suzumiya Girl do you like best?

• Haruhi Suzumiya

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • Mikuru Asahina

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Yuki Nagato

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • Tsuruya

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Emiri Kimidori

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sonou Mori [The Maid]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kyon's Sister

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters

ran0001

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I love everything in the series!!! I love all the forms it comes in. The Novel, the anime and the manga!!!!!

I mean who could see this and resist???!!!

So join The SOS Brigade!!!! SPREAD HARUHIISM!!!
Click HERE to watch the special SOS Brigade dance!!!!​

Discuss anything Suzumiya Haruhi related here!
-Who's your favorite character?
-Ending and Opening themes
-Character Infos
-Which format of the series do you view? Anime, Manga, Novel or all?
-Any pictures you want to share?
-What do you think of the series?
-Where to get the Anime, Manga, and Novels
-What captivated you?
-What's Favorite chapter/volume in the Manga and Novel?
-What's your favorite Episode?
-Anything you'd like to know about it
-Inquiries!
-Anything Else related!!

Last edited:

Do Kesubei

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu Discussion Thread

Yeah, it's a wonderful show but it has gotten too big for its own good I think. :oh

Also, I wouldn't call this Seinen. Slice of Life or Sci-Fi seems to be a better fit.

ran0001

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Yeah, it's a wonderful show but it has gotten too big for its own good I think. :oh

Also, I wouldn't call this Seinen. Slice of Life or Sci-Fi seems to be a better fit.
Actually it is categorized in Seinen as well as those.
It belongs in the ff. categories:
Comedy, Philosophical, Postmodern, Psychological, Sci-fi, Seinen, Supernatural
.Just check wikipedia.

Last edited:

kiddo7

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Austria

The poll is not an easy choice I like Haruhi and Yuki equally as much. But I could only vote for one so I picked Haruhi.

I don't remember how I got to hear about the show, (well actually I do what I don't remember is why I actually started watching it) but when I finished the first episode I knew Haruhi would forever be one of my all time favorite fictional characters. Too bad the Anime was so short.
I later started looking for the manga but I couldn't find anywhere to read online, or get direct downloads from. :sad I did find the wikipages containing the translation project for the light novels. But if you know of any medium that is easier to read/watch please let me know.

Also I was most overjoyed when I heard the rumor that there might be a second anime. I still don't know if this is true but it makes me happy all the same.

zindryr

誰も知らない
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Haruhi was actually serialized in Shonen Ace, not a seinen magazine. We have had the discussion as to whether or not Haruhi was seinen, and it isn't.

I'll leave this here for a bit, but then it's getting moved to General.

Meno

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Haruhi is definitely not Seinen. Never trust Wikipedia.

ttxdragon

Dearly Missed ;__;
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Venezuela

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu is great <3

(but not a seinen, i agree.)

The Novels are great, The Anime is awesome, but i don't like the manga... it seems far too random.

If you want to read a fun and light novel, read this one. It's really a recommendation from my side <3

and i wouldn't be able to pick ANY of the girls as favorite, they all have their special charm.

Predator

Scientist of Anthropology
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man

Well ..... as I derived from the facts that I saw, it was categorized seinen as in it's "young" not "adult" sense. It has some features that would never be encountered in shonen category, while the overall style of presentation in the anime version leaves no room for doubt for it's place in middle age group.

If somebody would ask me why Wiki has it wrong and why many disagree is because the novel was and is published in The Sneaker, who's status is seinen novels ...... there you go. The root of confusion.

If you want a nice proposition on that subject above:
1. Novel is allowed and can be considered seinen as in 青年.
2. Manga and anime versions are vulgarized to the level of shonen to provide better entertainment.
3. As we're a manga-centred community forum, we can, and probably will, consider everything about Suzumiya Haruhi series shonen, unless, it's the original novel series, in which case it's variable. (In case some translator decides to get translating the novel)

As for my opinion, I'm positive about these series. Story's fun and the anime adaptation is modified to provide some extra entertainment. Good stuff, if you want to lift up your mood.

ran0001

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Well ..... as I derived from the facts that I saw, it was categorized seinen as in it's "young" not "adult" sense. It has some features that would never be encountered in shonen category, while the overall style of presentation in the anime version leaves no room for doubt for it's place in middle age group.

If somebody would ask me why Wiki has it wrong and why many disagree is because the novel was and is published in The Sneaker, who's status is seinen novels ...... there you go. The root of confusion.

If you want a nice proposition on that subject above:
1. Novel is allowed and can be considered seinen as in 青年.
2. Manga and anime versions are vulgarized to the level of shonen to provide better entertainment.
3. As we're a manga-centred community forum, we can, and probably will, consider everything about Suzumiya Haruhi series shonen, unless, it's the original novel series, in which case it's variable. (In case some translator decides to get translating the novel)

As for my opinion, I'm positive about these series. Story's fun and the anime adaptation is modified to provide some extra entertainment. Good stuff, if you want to lift up your mood.
Um, actually the novel is already translated by Baka-Tsuki. Volumes 1-8 and 88% done on the prologue of volume 9.
Currently reading Chapter 4 of Volume 7 and loving every part of it but Yeah, I just can't see young boys enjoy or understand most of it.

Last edited:

kiddo7

Reaction score
Country
Austria

^I can confirm that.
I am currently reading volume 6 and it just gets better with every page.

On a side note, I am beginning to come up with a semi random theory.
What if it is not Haruhi that is all powerful?
I mean just think about it what proof do we really have that Haruhi is the actual cause of all the unusual happenings? only the claims of others. The only real common point in every single supernatural occurance is that Kyon is involved. So what if Asahina, lkoizumi and Nagato bent the truth just a little bit and told kyon that Haruhi is the object of their observation.
Why would i even think that? well even the blind can see that all three of them are very interested in Kyon. though it is most apparent with Nagato and future Asahina. Nagato always listens and responds more to kyon than anyone else. Especially if you read the novel after a while she almost begins to act as if Kyon is the only other person that exists. And Future Asahina, figurativly throws herself at him she seems to enjoy teasing him more than anything and she really seems to want to spend a lot of time with him.

ran0001

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

^I can confirm that.
I am currently reading volume 6 and it just gets better with every page.

On a side note, I am beginning to come up with a semi random theory.
What if it is not Haruhi that is all powerful?
I mean just think about it what proof do we really have that Haruhi is the actual cause of all the unusual happenings? only the claims of others. The only real common point in every single supernatural occurance is that Kyon is involved. So what if Asahina, lkoizumi and Nagato bent the truth just a little bit and told kyon that Haruhi is the object of their observation.
Why would i even think that? well even the blind can see that all three of them are very interested in Kyon. though it is most apparent with Nagato and future Asahina. Nagato always listens and responds more to kyon than anyone else. Especially if you read the novel after a while she almost begins to act as if Kyon is the only other person that exists. And Future Asahina, figurativly throws herself at him she seems to enjoy teasing him more than anything and she really seems to want to spend a lot of time with him.
Nice theory but If Kyon really is the object of observation, then why would Asakura try to kill him? And what about all the closed spaces that are created when haruhi is in a bad mood. And what about the climax of the melancholy book? When haruhi's stated finally reached its peak due to her jealousy of Kyon and Mikuru and she finally decided to recreate the world? And Asahina-san(Big) doesn't really "throw" herself at him though she may really love him. Kyon is the nicest person to Mikuru in the series and being the insecure girl that she is, she may have fallen for Kyon and all his encouragements but she knows that they cannot be together since they belong in different time planes. Thus the older Asahina tries to treasure every time they spend together as much as the younger Asahina may also be doing. Its still not for sure though that Asahina have fallen for Kyon.
And yes, Haruhi does treat Kyon like the only person in her class which is peculiar since he is technically still a normal human being even though he has experience with time travel.

Here is an evidence of Haruhi's unusual attachment to Kyon.

Last edited:

Predator

Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man

Um, actually the novel is already translated by Baka-Tsuki. Volumes 1-8 and 88% done on the prologue of volume 9.
Currently reading Chapter 4 of Volume 7 and loving every part of it but Yeah, I just can't see young boys enjoy or understand most of it.
About Baka-Tsuki ...... I know about them and it's a pleasure seeing them at work. A bit of a jealousy that they aren't taking part in our community, but ..... that's just a biased joke in general. As they have their own forums and stuff, they probably won't publish anything here.

That was, what I was considering, when writing that third point.
In other words that misunderstood part means: "Translators, other than the existing ones, who are working on the novels, but aren't represented in here. Any new novel translations will be considered seinen, but the location in seinen section will not be guaranteed for the sake of order."

It was, what I was wanting to say anyway.

Let's not dwell on tiny stuff ....
This is the thread about the story, so go on and talk about story more guys. :tem
:thumbs

zindryr

誰も知らない
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada

The main reason the Haruhi novel thread is in General is because we do not have a novel section. That, and most people associate Haruhi with the anime/manga which neither happen to be seinen. If we had a novel section (which there aren't nearly enough novel/short story translations going on to require one), this thread would be moved there.

The main problem is that there just isn't enough to support a novel section so we put this where most people would expect to find it.

(This is another thing I'm hoping to change by translating some short stories in the future here.)

kiddo7

Reaction score
Country
Austria

Nice theory but If Kyon really is the object of observation, then why would Asakura try to kill him?
Here my theory would state that the reason she is trying to kill him is evident in the answer she gave him(although this is the weakest side of my argument, which I am pretty sure is wrong I am just holding on to it for the disscusion sake); That there are extremist factions within the sentient data entity that would rather "stimulate" and measure the results, than passively observe
And what about all the closed spaces that are created when haruhi is in a bad mood.
In this case My theory would have to state that it is Kyon who creates them and that they are triggered by Haruhi's bad mood
And what about the climax of the melancholy book? When haruhi's stated finally reached its peak due to her jealousy of Kyon and Mikuru and she finally decided to recreate the world?
You pretty much got me there, it would seem contrary to logic that Kyon would recreate the world when he starts to get closer to mikuru chan... Except if He subconsciously likes Haruhi
(You can find superficial evidence for this if you want to see it that way.)
And Asahina-san(Big) doesn't really "throw" herself at him though she may really love him. Kyon is the nicest person to Mikuru in the series and being the insecure girl that she is, she may have fallen for Kyon and all his encouragements but she knows that they cannot be together since they belong in different time planes. Thus the older Asahina tries to treasure every time they spend together as much as the younger Asahina may also be doing. Its still not for sure though that Asahina have fallen for Kyon.
But if you want to look at it in that light it sure swims, walks, looks, and quacks like a duck, if you catch my drift. ;-)
And yes, Haruhi does treat Kyon like the only person in her class which is peculiar since he is technically still a normal human being even though he has experience with time travel.
Not only Haruhi, Nagato even more so. She pretty much ignores even the others in the brigade, including Haruhi Remember during the lone Island mystery? No matter what anyone said she would not open the door until Kyon "rescinded his command" and during The Day of Sagitarius 3 challenge she waited for Kyon's permission to execute her code. And how about the baseball tournament, it was Kyon who asked her to manipulate Data so that they can win. And if you read the novels there is the snow mountain incident where she would not speak to anyone at all for a prolonged period of time(Koizumi said she was acting as if they did not even exists) but she answered immediately when Kyon spoke.

P.S. Love the picture!

Last edited:

Predator

Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man

The main reason the Haruhi novel thread is in General is because we do not have a novel section. That, and most people associate Haruhi with the anime/manga which neither happen to be seinen. If we had a novel section (which there aren't nearly enough novel/short story translations going on to require one), this thread would be moved there.

The main problem is that there just isn't enough to support a novel section so we put this where most people would expect to find it.

(This is another thing I'm hoping to change by translating some short stories in the future here.)
Exactly, Zinnie! ..... That's what I was saying .... Just shorter and, I guess, easier to understand.
*starts to wonder, if his pattern of speech really is long winded*

yoniekai

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

i made this guys, suzumiya haruhi light novels vols 1-9 in pdf!! courtesy baka-tsuki translations :ossu :thumbs :occa

vol1: The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
vol2: The Sighs of Suzumiya Haruhi
vol3: The Boredom of Suzumiya Haruhi
vol4: The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi
vol5: The Rampage of Suzumiya Haruhi
vol6: The Wavering of Suzumiya Haruhi
vol7: The Intrigues of Suzumiya Haruhi
vol8: The Indignation of Suzumiya Haruhi
vol9: The Dissociation of Suzumiya Haruhi

(i cant make a release thread in this forum so i decided to just put it here)

Last edited:

ran0001

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Thanks for the links yoniekai!!! The fourth volume is highly recommended as it is probably [either this or/and the 2nd volume] gonna be the basis for the second season of the anime but you'll have to read a chapter in the 3rd novel called The Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody to understand it. The second volume is more of an in depth story of the episode in the anime where they made a movie for their festival because the anime only showed the movie they made and the festival itself.The 2nd novel focuses on the making of the movie. Quite full of emotion, details and lots of important events that they didn't show in the 1st season of the anime.

Luckas

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Italy

@yoniekai: Thanks, I already dled them from your post in the Baki-Tsuki forum; you did a very good job in making these pdf files.

yoniekai

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

lol thanks man :D

i actually have the 1-8 in pdfs already from some torrent, but they're pretty much copied and pasted all through out. and the pics are too small. so i did volume 9 since there's no pdf out yet, and got hooked on editing pdfs i decided to make my own versions for the first 8 :amuse

AfterMath

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia

hmm..anyone knows when the 2nd season of anime will be aired?