Seinen - Bastard!! by Hagiwara Kazushi | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Bastard!! by Hagiwara Kazushi

zindryr

誰も知らない
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada
This forum doesn't have one of these threads, and it sorely needs it.

Bastard!! and it's various parts, (Dark God of Chaos, Defenders of Earth, etc), is a manga drawn and written by Kazushi Hagiwara that started off as a shounen manga, and quickly became seinen as the storyline progressed. Rape, gore, and pretty fun dark'ish comedy are all encompassed in this series, along with a decent parody of shounen manga. Hagiwara's lack of keeping a straight storyline, or at least, keeping everything in at least some semblance of perspective, greatly adds to the wacky nature of Bastard!! Most people wouldn't really consider Bastard!! wacky, but that's how I see it.

Title: Bastard!! (バスタード!!)
Authored by HAGIWARA Kazushi
Serialized in Weekly Shōnen Jump (1988-1989, 1992-1996 and 1997-2000), Ultra Jump (since 2001)
Genre: Seinen, Action, Adventure, Comedy, Ecchi, Fantasy
Japanese Release: 24 Volumes (ongoing)
Licensed by: VIZ
Edited Mangas: ongoing
Age Ranking: Mature

Summary taken from VIZ:
In a postapocalyptic world of heavy metal fantasy, the only thing able to save humans from orcs, lizard men, and other monsters is something even MORE evil. Sealed within a 14-year-old boy, the chaotic wizard Dark Schneider is unleashed to fight four mighty generals and their plot to resurrect the evil god Anslasax!

Note:
A OVA of 6 Episodes was released in 1992 (though, it's incomplete for some reason >.>). Also the awesome looking Beta of a MMORPG called BASTARD!! ONLINE was started at the end of 2006. Check it out!

Ressources: Mangaupdates, Wikipedia, ANN

| |
Note by eni: I really had a hard time to choose three non-spoilerish but expressive AND kid-friendly pics - but believe me, you haven't seen half of the fun with these >.>

Edited Mangas:
Chapter 000-007 (Vol 01) by Manga Project (2001)
Chapter 008-009 (Vol 02) by Manga Project (2001)
Chapter 010-056 (Vol 02-06) by Kindan no Aku (2006-2007)
Chapter 001-ongoing (Vol 01+) by Dead Sea Scans (2007+)

Downloads:
#lurk (IRC)
#KnA (IRC; Edited Manga Group = most recent releases!)
Evil Empire (Freehosts)
Stoptazmo (DDL)
MangaDownload (DDL)
Note: There's a pdf scan of the German books up till volume 23 flooding around the net. The links go on and off, so no way to give a source for this.

RAWs:
Databook (RAW)

Purchase:
English Release by VIZ (v1-v14)
German Release by Carlsen (v1-23)
French Release by Glénat (v1-23 plus Databook)
Italian Release by Panini (V1-24, Deluxe Version 1-23)

Anyway, let's start this thing off. Of all the main characters, got any particular favorites? Of course, my favorite is Dark Schneider. I don't see why anyone wouldn't like him, considering he's the awesome main character.

[eni]*hijacks* [/eni]
Added Pictures and more Edited Manga infos. Also updated the offical release infos :)

As for the manga itself, I highly recommed it to everyone who loves dark fantasy storys packed together with lots of action, gore, naked skin and hilarous comedy. The protagonist is well aware of the fact that he his the good looking and uber-strong hero of this manga and permanently breaks the fourth wall to let it everyone know :sweat

:drool //eni

Last edited by a moderator:

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Re: Bastard!! Manga Discussion Thread

Who couldn't love Dark Schneider?
If volume 24 was released this July, I don't want to imagine, how much time will pass before releasing in Italy.
Did you read all volumes of Bastard?
I stopped when I saw Yoko with a demon without memory, but I'll continue.

zindryr

誰も知らない
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada

I have indeed read all of the volumes. I've mostly read 1-22 a bunch of times as that's all I have in the actual volumes sitting on my bookshelf, but I've read 23 and 24 a couple of times now.

24 shouldn't take too long for you guys though, you're all caught up for the most part. I bet a 24 will be available in Italy/France by the end of the year.

Luckas

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Italy

zindryr said:
I have indeed read all of the volumes. I've mostly read 1-22 a bunch of times as that's all I have in the actual volumes sitting on my bookshelf, but I've read 23 and 24 a couple of times now.

24 shouldn't take too long for you guys though, you're all caught up for the most part. I bet a 24 will be available in Italy/France by the end of the year.
I hope you are right.
I edited my previous post with a spoiler. I have 23 volumes, but for the moment I stopped reading.
I really disliked what happened to Yoko, I don't like this type of plot twist.

zindryr

誰も知らない
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada

It does kind of suck what happened to Yoko, but I wasn't too particularly attached to her character. I only really cared about DS running around killing things with various overpowered moves.

Updating the first post with v23 and v24 RAWs.

Luckas

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Italy

zindryr said:
It does kind of suck what happened to Yoko, but I wasn't too particularly attached to her character. I only really cared about DS running around killing things with various overpowered moves.

Updating the first post with v23 and v24 RAWs.
Thanks for the Raws, I'll dl them now.[br]Posted on: August 16, 2006, 04:14:39 PM_________________________________________________I really like the character of Yoko, it's so disappointing what happened her.
This discussion remembered me that Bastard!! was my second manga, in Italy there 3 different editions of it, do you know how much it is famous in Japan and around the world?
My first manga was "White Dragon", I really liked it, but I don't think it is well known.

zindryr

誰も知らない
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Three different editions? You mean three different translations of Bastard!! that are available for purchase? That's awesome.

It's decently popular in Japan. It's not huge but it does have a decent fanbase. I know that French people seem to like it too.

However, I don't think it is very popular here in America where I am. None of the manga nerds ever really mention it.

Luckas

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Italy

zindryr said:
Three different editions? You mean three different translations of Bastard!! that are available for purchase? That's awesome.
Not exactly, two different translations, one more litteral than the second, maybe.
The first company which published "Bastard!!" in Italy failed, then another got the rights and restarted from the beginning with a translation which should be more litteral, then this company republished "Bastard!!" in a sort of deluxe edition.

zindryr

誰も知らない
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Well, I know Viz (who is doing the English versions) went back and did some second edition releases for about five of the earlier volumes of Bastard!!, so it's almost the same thing. In any case, I think it would be cool if some groups started to scanlate Bastard!! into English, it's a great manga. At least the later volumes anyway since there is already an English version being put out by Viz. Though Viz could probably catch up to the most recent volume before Hagiwara puts out another one.

Luckas

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Italy

zindryr said:
Well, I know Viz (who is doing the English versions) went back and did some second edition releases for about five of the earlier volumes of Bastard!!, so it's almost the same thing. In any case, I think it would be cool if some groups started to scanlate Bastard!! into English, it's a great manga. At least the later volumes anyway since there is already an English version being put out by Viz. Though Viz could probably catch up to the most recent volume before Hagiwara puts out another one.
In #lurk there is something scanlated, I don't remember precisely.

zindryr

誰も知らない
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Just checked, Lurk doesn't seem to have the RAWs for the first 22 volumes, but they do have volumes 1 and 2 scanlated it seems. So, go grab them and read people.

Also feel that I should mention I managed to find a copy of the Bastard!! Databook. RAW form of course, but it does have a lot of information and pictures and things in it.

Luckas

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Italy

zindryr said:
Just checked, Lurk doesn't seem to have the RAWs for the first 22 volumes, but they do have volumes 1 and 2 scanlated it seems. So, go grab them and read people.

Also feel that I should mention I managed to find a copy of the Bastard!! Databook. RAW form of course, but it does have a lot of information and pictures and things in it.
Where did you find the databook? I'm very interested.

zindryr

誰も知らない
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada

I found it on Japanese P2P programs, where I locate just about everything. I'll upload it somewhere today or tomorrow.

Luckas

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Italy

zindryr said:
I found it on Japanese P2P programs, where I locate just about everything. I'll upload it somewhere today or tomorrow.
Thanks, maybe someday I'll try this Japanese P2P programs I heard about.

zindryr

誰も知らない
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada

I added the RAW for the Databook to the first post with the other two volumes. I don't think the databook will ever be translated considering Bastard!! doesn't have the fanbase Naruto and the like do.

pocketmofo

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Thanks for the raw links, Zindryr! I stopped reading the series at volume 23 and the databook (this was a couple years ago so I figured the series had ended with 23).

This series was always so batshit crazy that I had to love it. It would likely be a huge pain to translate, but I certainly would be happy to help proofread or provide the occasional chapter translation if people are interested. I probably wouldn't want to translate the databook though (as that thing was REALLY text heavy).

zindryr

誰も知らない
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada

You're telling me dude, it took me a while to just skim through it. I'd love to have Bastard!! scanlated but it would really take a long long while to catch up, plus Viz is already doing a not too bad job of it from what I hear, though I can't testify to that as I haven't read any of it.

That, and Hagi's been releasing some Complete Volumes of which I have yet to put my hands on. The volumes that should have been released with extra pages and plots and everything supposedly.

pocketmofo

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Yeah, I remember seeing the 完全版 volumes a couple years ago, but I couldn't really justify rebuying the entire series (though I still want to pick up the 完全版 for Dragonball since I don't have the whole series with me).

I can't wait to check out the RAW of volume 24 to see what is going on with this series (since they ended at a weird point in volume 23). Here's hoping it downloads...(damn you, sendspace!!!!)

zindryr

誰も知らない
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Bah, I love sendspace. They're one of the better providers in my opinion. Aside from the fact that limit you to 100kbps down, they're great.

In any case, I am going to go out searching for the 完全版's at some point and see if I can find them. Three are out supposedly, and I really want to see what's different in them. I freaking love this series as a whole.

Oh, and volume 24, rofl, they start at a weird point there. The story is fucking everywhere.

Luckas

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Italy

Thanks zindryr for the links.
Don't you think it's strange that Viz is doing an accettable work with a wierd manga as "Bastard!!"?