Seinen - Billy Bat by Urasawa Naoki | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Billy Bat by Urasawa Naoki

Muddy

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Billy Bat
URASAWA Naoki
Genre: Drama, Historical, Mystery, Psychological
Serialized In: Weekly Morning
Scanlated By: Arienai

OneManga said:
Billy Bat is a comic-in-a-comic and the real protagonist is a Japanese-American artist named Kevin Yamagata who draws Billy Bat for "Marble Comics".
Shortly after they transition to the artist in his studio as two actual detectives, who look like Laurel and Hardy in Dick Tracy era suits and trench coats, knock on the door and appropriate Kevin's room for the purpose of conducting surveillance on a room in an adjacent building. One of the detectives, the skinny “Laurel”, sees Kevin's work and it turns out he's a Billy Bat fan. The other chubby "Hardy" detective picks up a page and says that the characters look familiar and accuses Kevin of translating an old "Jap" comic.
As Hardy remembers the comic he thinks Kevin is ripping off, the story jumps off to 1949 Tokyo.
From the mangaka of 20th Century Boys and Monster

Edited for info ~ Drmke

Now that 20th Century Boys has been over awhile, and Pluto is apparently drawing very close to its conclusion, it's only fitting that Urasawa has started up his next epic. We've all been waiting for this - or at least I have. No translations / Edited Mangas / etc. have popped up yet but here are two great summary/review blog posts based on the first couple of chapters:

http://rodmckie.blogspot.com/2008/10/billy-bat-and-urasawa-morning-magazine.html

http://www.punkednoodle.com/champloo/index.php/2008/10/29/distracted-by-urasawas-billy-bat/

Thankfully the wait for this to be picked up won't be so bad, since I've been waiting until Pluto finishes to read it, so I actually have a whole (reportedly fantastic) Urasawa manga yet ahead of me. And then this. Score!

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan Smithee

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm working on this with my group, I've already scanned in chapters 2 and 3. But, I can't find the magazines needed for chapters 1 & 4 ANYWHERE! It's most frustrating...
I will say that chapter 3 looks good and I've heard great things about chapter 4.

Muddy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm working on this with my group, I've already scanned in chapters 2 and 3. But, I can't find the magazines needed for chapters 1 & 4 ANYWHERE! It's most frustrating...
I will say that chapter 3 looks good and I've heard great things about chapter 4.
It's very good to hear that people are working on it! Thanks for that. And good luck finding the needed magazines.

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I heard that Billy Bat has been taking a break after chapter 4, is that right? Do anyone know when it will resume?

Alan Smithee

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Chapter 5 should be out in the issue due out around about christmas time.

@Muddy; to be honest the more time that passes, the less optimistic I am of ever finding the chapters. I can't release chapters 2 & 3 without chapter 1. But, the magazines are impossible to find. It's not like I'm only looking for web raws I'm trying to pay money for the magazines, hell I'll even reward the person who finds the right issues with a bit of cash to keep.

Muddy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Chapter 5 should be out in the issue due out around about christmas time.

@Muddy; to be honest the more time that passes, the less optimistic I am of ever finding the chapters. I can't release chapters 2 & 3 without chapter 1. But, the magazines are impossible to find. It's not like I'm only looking for web raws I'm trying to pay money for the magazines, hell I'll even reward the person who finds the right issues with a bit of cash to keep.
If nothing else, your group can keep translating and then do tankobon scans a few months from now when the first volume comes out, though, right? So it's probably not too big a deal - just a slight delay.

kohaku

Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
There are links here :
http://ritualscan2.free.fr/viewtopic.php?t=1241

Chapter one is very low quality but in my view, this shouldn't stop you from releasing the series, people are eager to discover the series, the quality of the scans won't matter much.

Alan Smithee

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It wont matter but it should matter an Urasawa series deserves better than that! There is no way you can even put the text on those scans and make it readable. I wouldn't have bought the magazines if I was just gonna use the cam raws available online...

monkey d scar

Reaction score
Country
Algeria
@Smithee; then i suggest you (if not done before) to contact Heiji sama, the raw hunter who made those LQ raws @RSF. I know he can provide MQ/HQ raws since he has done it before with Gantz and Berserk so at least, it's worth a try :amuse

punkednoodle

Reaction score
This is random but well, I have a Morning subscription and I can scan the chapters once they're out if you want. I owe it to my friends who wants this series bad. And well, I did write one of the articles posted above so if you're interested, just contact me via my website. I don't check MH often so it might be pointless to leave a message here. Sorry.

*saw this link when I just got a trackback from my website soo... Alternately, thanks for plugging my article on Billy Bat!* <3

molokidan

Hidden Boss ΣΣ(゚Д゚;)ナヌッ
Reaction score
Country
Guernsey
That would be awesome punkednoodle. I think 4 or 5 chapters are out already. If you scan them it would be a great help as I have already started translating the series with the crap raws.

Houjou

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Mongolia
First four chapters look awesome, I hope you eventually get your hands on 1st and 4th chapters, Smithee, this new series really deserves to be scanlated in good quality.

(yeah, I also got tricked by the first chapter, thinking "wth is Urasawa doing"; til I read chapter 2 :P)

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Oh, I hope the Edited Mangas come out soon, I'm sooo looking forward for this. Seems to be raher interesting.

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
This guy has recently posted a summary of Billy Bat chapter 5 on his blog.
http://www.gottsu-iiyan.ca/gib/index.php

On the same blog, many interesting stuffs about Naoki Urasawa can be found for fans who are interested. You will not regret having a look.;)

Last edited:

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Re: [FEATURED SERIES] Billy Bat by Urasawa Naoki

*sticks*

Featured for January. You can't go wrong with this mangaka :amuse

Alan Smithee

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

^Agreed!
In other news it seems as though we got a raw provider so keep on the lookout for a weekly flow of chapters... *touch wood*

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany

That would be great. I really look forward to this one ^^

S2S4

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Madagascar
Billy Bat - Naoki Urasawa

Urasawa's new serie.
Billy Bat #02

Last edited by a moderator:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

I decided to give this one a good head start, started reading yeaterday, and at the latest chapter already. Just couldn't wait longer.

It's interesting this far. Bit confusing, mysterious and intriguing. Kinda annoying that I have totally no idea whats actually going on, but on the other hand that keeps me reading on ^^ As always, Urasawa nows what he is doing.

¬Bol

Reaction score
Country
Italy
I'm curious to find if there will be an antiproton bomb in Billy Bat.
Urasawa seems to love antiproton bomb; maybe there'll be one in Billy Bat too (maybe on the moon, under the bat symbol discovered in chapter 9 è_é).