Shoujo - Strobe Edge by Sakisaka Io | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shoujo Strobe Edge by Sakisaka Io

igotthegoods

The Giggs
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States

Strobe Edge

By: Sakisaka Io
Genre: Shoujo, Romance, School Life
Serialized in: Betsuma
Scanlated by: Starry Heaven

RTS

Ninako is a meek, gentle high school student. She has never been in love. Ninako asks Daiki, who has emotions towards her, about what being in love feels like. She thinks he is a good guy but…? One day, on the train home from school, she bumps into Ren, a popular guy at school. With just a short conversation and his smile, she experiences a new feeling. Just what is this feeling…!? Ninako’s first love is starting! [From StarryHeaven]

niiica

Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: [Shoujo] Strobe Edge by Sakisaka Io

It looks typical on the outside, but it's definitely not. Strobe Edge is better than most shoujo mangas, I say. The fact that there's only less than 35 chapters and that there are already so many things happening already say that it's a good series since it's not rushed nor too dragged out.

igotthegoods

The Giggs
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States

You're absolutely right, niiica. Strobe Edge is not a typical or boring shoujo at all. First of all, the art is really cute. And not only is the pacing of the story done really well, but it's also full of likable characters. I even find myself sympathizing with Ninako's rival (Mayuka) a lot. :darn I also like the way Andou's character is turning out. Honestly, at this point, I could root for Ninako to end up with either him or Ren. Usually, I can only root for the main guy to get the girl, but with this one I'm actually kind of torn~

By the way, Chapter 17 is finally out. Everybody, go read! :amuse

Last edited:

Hamy

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong

I'm at volume 3 and... Well I think the pace is certainly fast, people were right to say it didn't beat around the bush, but... to an extent that is detrimental.

Take for instance Sayuri and Daiki's relationship which progressed too quickly for its own good, it cheapens Daiki's feelings for Ninako since it certainly didn't take him long to switch and without much thought. While Sayuri well... what can I say about Sayuri other than being sudden.

The characters are also rather erm... lacking in distinguishing development. Am I the only one who finds Ren to be almost a card board box, he's almost completely emotionless thanks to his niceness and politeness. While I like Ninako a lot, she stands out well and is quite memorable, the rest I find lacking. Daiki... could have been developed to be more complex but I feel is wasted since he was just dropped from the main picture too quickly. While Sayuri what CAN I say about Sayuri XD Andou is beginning to stand out and develop, but again I think his introduction like the revelation about Sayuri has been very sudden.

I liked it at the start and it certainly proposes an interesting aspect to "unrequited love" but the pacing is just O.o... It would also help if the characters were more distinguished or had other aspects but they're rather simple. Simple isn't bad, however I feel its a bit too simplified that it feels many are lacking in depth (again I'd exclude Ninako from this, and Mayuka to some extent) The characters are likeable yet not necessarily that memorable, they're rather flat.

Last edited:

Niirouge

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia

I liked this series when I read it back when I was younger and more prone to the shoujo-loving disease :p But now that I've gone over my volumes again, I don't have the same impression as I did when I started... Sort of sad in a way...

And I've read the ending:
Ninako does end up with Ren (obviously) and Andou and Ren are still friends in a way (they had a conflicting history). While I'll give credits to the author for ending it in a way that mirrors Ninako's first confession to Ren (only to be rejected because he had a girlfriend), I felt incomplete after finishing it...

If you have the patience to sit through slow romances and average endings that leave the rest for open interpretations, then you should read this manga ;)

Personally speaking, it could have done better...