1. The Animal Photography! contest is now open. Capture those beautiful creatures and share them with us.

Congrats to riki for winning the Short Story contes!!
  2. The first voting day of the Anime League is here! Tell us which new Anime of this season you liked the most so far!
  3. We are looking for new moderators and News Writers. If you are interested, apply here.
  4. Nominate your favorites now!
  5. Starting from mid-February or so we'll be going through the media gallery and sorting through the submissions there to ensure they match with our recent changes listed in the Media Gallery Guide.
    As such some media files will be removed, so please be sure to look through your media and ensure it is up to requirements If you have any questions, contact a global/admin.
In case you've missed it, Mangahelpers is recruiting new Moderators/News Writers. If you're interested, please read HERE for more information.
Though artists in particular, everyone please do check out the [MEDIA GUIDE] , as there are information relevant for you all. Thanks!

Theory Gowther's Origin?

Discussion in 'Nanatsu no Taizai' started by Holt, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Holt

Holt Mastermind

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted

Global Moderator

Nigeria
    We found out gowther is a doll and he was created by a great magician and I think its possible that Merlin created gowther.

First, she certainly classifies as a great magician. The greatest one we know at the moment. We also know she created the Balor's eye which gowther also has.
    The special armor gowther used in the past was given to him by Merlin and the other sins never knew what he looked like.
    She also seems to have a sort of motherly concern and attitude towards gowther.

After she reverts gowther to his doll state, she hands him over to slader and says he will be dealt with later as though she is responsible for him. There's definitely a history and relationship there. Its difficult to imagine a scenario where one finds out gowther is a doll and I wonder how Merlin would have discovered that.

What do you guys think?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  2. Incognitop

Incognitop Registered User

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member

United States
    Re: Growther's Origin?

well if merlin created gowther wouldn't she be able to fully "absolute cancel" him?

a popular theory is that the person who created Gowther is Merlin's teacher or something along those lines. (Some people go so far as to suggest that he/she is the one that taught Merlin absolute cancel)

Nakaba might be setting up another "reality check" moment. Remember when King was introduced and he easily soloed Guila after the other 3 had problems? Then he easily beat Guila and Jericho at Byzel only to be owned by Helbram because there were underlying factors that we had not yet seen.

I can see something similar happening in this case. Merlin will be destroying someone in a fight with her magic, but then her spell will get "absolute cancelled" and then the whole anime stereotype will repeat with the "you have been using my magic improperly my foolish apprentice" thing.

Personally, I am hoping for this person to be an enemy, would be more interesting.

3. eefrit

eefrit I'm Dirty Dan!

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity

Mangahelper

United States

This is pretty much what I think. I personally think Merlin's teacher might be her parent as well. So with that in mind, her and Gowther would be considered "siblings" of sort, which would explain there interactions. Merlin might have actually been around when he was created.

4. Holt

Holt Mastermind

Global Moderator

Nigeria

That does sound right. If she didn't create him, she either knows who did or was there when he was created.
    I wouldn't be surprised if there's an even greater magician out there (perhaps merlin's teacher) but it would be weird if there was someone else that could use absolute cancel, assuming its her own ability and not just a super high level magic spell.

5. Demonspeed

Demonspeed Mahesvara

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member

Global Moderator

France

Gowther's creator could be a Demon, maybe he is one of the Commandments. Albion is one of their creations, Merlin's race is unknown and we know she was studying Demon magics.

gnut likes this.
  6. Holt

Holt Mastermind

Global Moderator

Nigeria

She also reacted suspiciously when Mel told her the demons have been unsealed.
    Still except Mel's teacher was a demon, I don't really see a connection like that. Even that would still be a bit off.
    The demons have been sealed for 3,000 years and I doubt growther or Merlin are that old.

Most likely scenario in that case would be Merlin happened on some demon's lab at some time or something and activated growther. Perhaps the teachings and other things were written there and would explain how she knows some things about the demons.

7. Notice me Escanor senpai

Notice me Escanor senpai Registered User

Morocco

I am really curious about Gowther's creator, he's prolly even more powerful than Merlin and given how muich she's powerful/knowledgeable, I expect my mind to be blown if he ever gets introduced lol. I'm a little disappointed that it wasn't Merlin who created Gowther(it's Gowther btw not Growther) and I'm seriously questioning her motives for agreeing to take care of him. In the vampire special Mel says that she likes to have rare things, she prolly sees Escanor and Gowther like that, so that adds to her being shady I guess.

8. Holt

Holt Mastermind

Global Moderator

Nigeria

Yeah I know its gowther. I forget sometimes :fail. The creator could be a she though. Also, is it confirmed that merlin didn't create gowther? I mean its a bit unlikely but I don't recall if it has been stated.

9. Hamy

Hamy MH Senpai

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member

Hong Kong

Chapter 114 since she isn't claiming ownership whatsoever, only that someone else of great caliber had crafted him.
    http://manga.redhawkscans.com/reader/read/the_seven_deadly_sins/en/0/114/page/20

10. Holt

Holt Mastermind

Global Moderator

Nigeria

Ah yes. That sort of clears it and she also mentions that completely erasing it is difficult even for her absolute cancel. Guess that makes sense.

11. kkck

kkck MH Senpai

神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike

Galactic Empire

She probably can't erase gowther because a big part of him is actually alive. His body might not be entirely real but its not like she can absolute cancel people.

As far as who made gowther, I would argue it was gepeto along with the blue fairy. On a more serious note, it would be interesting if fairies were involved in making gowther.

12. Holt

Holt Mastermind

Global Moderator

Nigeria

Well it was said to be a magician. Dunno if there are fairy magicians. If fairies were involved, would Merlin apparently know so much about gowther? She doesn't seem to have dabbled into fairy stuff for the time being

13. gnut

gnut Registered User

United States

I was just thinking this....seeing how merlin specializes in black magic.

Would be a twist if it was fraudrin and some sorceror/magician he had possessed...the albions are definitely a big clue or some kind of wild coincidence...:hmm

14. julymarte

julymarte Registered User

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member

Italy
    well that would indeed be an interesting turn but i doubt it would be fraudrin cause they met inside dreyfus and maybe gowher would have reacted in a different way

15. eefrit

eefrit I'm Dirty Dan!

Mangahelper

United States
    Gowther being based off Albion's would be interesting.

It's interesting to note that the author was going to have Gowther be Mel's demonic guardian before he came up with the doll idea.

16. Notice me Escanor senpai

Morocco
    Where was this stated?

17. eefrit

eefrit I'm Dirty Dan!

Mangahelper

United States
  18. Notice me Escanor senpai

Morocco
    Thanks I didn't know about these. It's quite interesting, seems like he kept the little boy in a giant armor for Gowther, but lol Escanor was supposed to be the sin of lust XD
    Other than Gowther I think the changes turned out good, really I'm more interested in Gowther's concept than the final result.

19. Demonspeed

Demonspeed Mahesvara

Global Moderator

France
    The reveal in the last chapter and this could mean that they were close friends in the past, or he was keeping an eye on him but failed.

20. Marzarret

Marzarret Registered User

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member

Philippines
    Gowther is probably created by the Demon Lord himself, that's why even Merlin can't cancel that magic that's bringing Gowther to life.