1. A new contest has begun, enter HERE!

Voting has now begun for the Angels & Demons Contest! so choose your favorites and show some love!
  2. The first voting day of the Anime League is here! Tell us which new Anime of this season you liked the most so far!
  3. We are looking for new moderators and News Writers. If you are interested, apply here.
  4. The Anime Awards 2017 are over. You can now check out all the winners!
  5. Starting from mid-February or so we'll be going through the media gallery and sorting through the submissions there to ensure they match with our recent changes listed in the Media Gallery Guide.
    As such some media files will be removed, so please be sure to look through your media and ensure it is up to requirements If you have any questions, contact a global/admin.
In case you've missed it, Mangahelpers is recruiting new Moderators/News Writers. If you're interested, please read HERE for more information.
Though artists in particular, everyone please do check out the [MEDIA GUIDE] , as there are information relevant for you all. Thanks!

Theory Gowther's Origin?

Discussion in 'Nanatsu no Taizai' started by Holt, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Demonspeed

Demonspeed Mahesvara

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member

Global Moderator

France
    In the flashback when he was talking to Fraudrin, he was smiling, right?

ShadowCT6 likes this.
  2. ShadowCT6

ShadowCT6 Registered User

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member

Brazil
    Yes, he was, despite of the bubbles are square shapped, like he was emotionless.
    But, imo, the most importamt thing that we learnt from the chapter is that he didn't plot with Meliodas to kill those two commandments. He may had killed the predecessor of Gray Road, however we don't have any clues about it.

3. Baum

Baum Registered User

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member

Germany
    The squares don't necessarily mean he's emotionless.
    They're usually used for the "narrator" which is kind of Gowther's gimmick, he talks like a narrator would and in this really monotone voice. He can talk differently too tho, he did that a couple times when he was acting some scenes from books he read out and as Armando while he lived with Pellio. Gowther doesn't >understand< emotions, but he's not entirely emotionless (he got really angry when Escanor took his glasses and he seemed almost sad after the attack on Diane back at the start of Part 2)

4. Demonspeed

Demonspeed Mahesvara

Global Moderator

France
    Yes, I don't think he was emotionless, it would not fit with what Fraudrin said. The way I understood it he was explaining how Meliodas felt.

We don't see him smiling like that in the present too.

5. kkck

kkck MH Senpai

神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike

Galactic Empire
    Dunno, I think gowther being a doll is at least somehow related to his commandment. Gowther so far not only does not have emotions but he also does not have anything that would make him unique. Usually you can tell different races apart by how their magic feels. However gowther does not even register as a demon nor does he have demon like qualities. Perhaps he was simply sealed in a doll after the war or something. It wouldn't be too strange if his commandment made people turn into dolls though.

6. eefrit

eefrit I'm Dirty Dan!

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity

Mangahelper

United States
    Pretty sure the author just kept the speech bubble squared because that's Gowther's thing.

Given that we know folks of other races can be selected for Commandment duties, it's possible that Gowther isn't a demon. Plus, we know from Merlin that he was a creation of a powerful magician.

Hmm, I imagine someone probably thought of this before, but what if the Albion were created by the person who created Gowther? That might mean Gowther, while not a demon himself, is a weapon for the demons, like the Albion. What if Merlin's birthplace was destroyed because of the potential of beings like Gowther and what else his creator could create? It would explain Merlin's actions when it comes to Gowther. She knows he's a dangerous weapon and keeps him in check. He's also, potentially, one of the last reminders of her birthplace.

7. Demonspeed

Demonspeed Mahesvara

Global Moderator

France
    I still think Merlin lied when she said that. His lack of "heart" is because he is a doll but he had emotions before, so if Merlin said the truth it'd mean that he was a doll with emotions, and I find it odd.

Though the effect is different, Estarossa did use an attack called Blackout. And @Gallon mentioned that he has probably a mark on his forehead since it's always hidden in flashbacks, it's probably the case.

8. eefrit

eefrit I'm Dirty Dan!

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity

Mangahelper

United States
    We know his lack of heart is due to his Commandment's curse. She only brought up the fact that the doll form is his true form, but didn't speak about his emotion issue.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 11, 2016, Original Post Date: Oct 11, 2016 ---
    In Japanese, Gowther's Blackout and Estarossa's Blackout share the same Katakana, but have different Kanji.

In Kanji, the techniques translate into Great Power Outage for Gowther and Dark Regression for Estarossa.

9. ShadowCT6

Brazil
    As I @Demonspeed and @Gallon pointed in the side story thread, Gowther had already been cursed in the time of the flashback of the main story. So, I am starting to think that Gowther was cursed becaused he stole Drole's magic eye before the war start in order to load it on himself. Remember that Drole in that flashback is already missing one eye What do you think about this theory?

10. Demonspeed

Demonspeed Mahesvara

Global Moderator

France
    By cursed you mean affected by his Commandment? I don't think it's the case. He was most likely active during the war and got affected by it before its end. Meliodas's departure was the trigger and Gowther left before the beginning of the war, he being affected by it so rapidly would be weird IMO.

If he had taken Dolor's eye I think Dolor would have recognized him at Vaizel(there is still the possible change of appearance but still), I also don't see why he'd do that. I am starting to believe that Dolor was born with one eye as well, just like with his four arms for a silly reason.

11. ShadowCT6

Brazil
    I know that you believe that the past-Gowther had a different power other than Invasion, but if not, Gowther may had changed Dolor's memory after stole his eye. And it is possible you have a brief and sudden remembrance despite of being affected by one the skills of Gowther, what may had happened with Dolor when he saw the Sin Of Lust at Vaizel. Check out this example:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  12. Demonspeed

Demonspeed Mahesvara

Global Moderator

France
    Isn't Elizabeth the one remembering things here?

I don't believe he had a different Magic for sure but I think it's a possibility, I am assuming he had Invasion unless proof to the contrary. If someone really stole his eye, I think it's Gowther's creator rather than Gowther himself. But with Invasion anything can happen.