Country - Greece | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Country Greece

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Greece
The Speeches of Professor Xenophon Zolotas

In 1957 and 1959, the Greek economist Professor Xenophon Zolotas, Governor of the bank of Greece and Governor of the Funds for Greece, delivered two speeches in English using Greek words only. As Prof. Zolotas said:

Prof. Xenophon Zolotas said:
I always wished to address this Assembly in Greek, but I realized that it would have been indeed Greek to all present in this room. I found out, however, that I could make my address in Greek which would still be English to everybody. With your permission, Mr. Chairman, I shall do it now, using with the exception of articles and prepositions only Greek words.
First speech - September 26, 1957
Kyrie,

I eulogize the archons of the Panethnic Numismatic Thesaurus and the Ecumenical Trapeza for the orthodoxy of their axioms, methods and policies, although there is an episode of cacophony of the Trapeza with Hellas.

With enthusiasm we dialogue and synagonize at the synods of our didymous Organizations in which polymorphous economic ideas and dogmas are analyzed and synthesized.

Our critical problems such as the numismatic plethora generate some agony and melancholy. This phenomenon is characteristic of our epoch. But, to my thesis, we have the dynamism to program therapeutic practices as a prophylaxis from chaos and catastrophe.

In parallel, a panethnic unhypocritical economic synergy and harmonization in a democratic climate is basic.

I apologize for my eccentric monologue. I emphasize my eucharistia to you Kyrie, to the eugenic and generous American Ethnos and to the organizers and protagonists of this Amphictyony and the gastronomic symposia.
Second speech - October 2, 1959
Kyrie,

It is Zeus' anathema on our epoch for the dynamism of our economies and the heresy of our economic methods and policies that we should agonise between the Scylla of numismatic plethora and the Charybdis of economic anaemia.

It is not my idiosyncrasy to be ironic or sarcastic but my diagnosis would be that politicians are rather cryptoplethorists. Although they emphatically stigmatize numismatic plethora, energize it through their tactics and practices.

Our policies have to be based more on economic and less on political criteria.

Our gnomon has to be a metron between political, strategic and philanthropic scopes. Political magic has always been antieconomic.

In an epoch characterised by monopolies, oligopolies, menopsonies, monopolistic antagonism and polymorphous inelasticities, our policies have to be more orthological. But this should not be metamorphosed into plethorophobia which is endemic among academic economists.

Numismatic symmetry should not antagonize economic acme.

A greater harmonization between the practices of the economic and numismatic archons is basic.

Parallel to this, we have to synchronize and harmonize more and more our economic and numismatic policies panethnically.

These scopes are more practical now, when the prognostics of the political and economic barometer are halcyonic.

The history of our didymous organisations in this sphere has been didactic and their gnostic practices will always be a tonic to the polyonymous and idiomorphous ethnical economics. The genesis of the programmed organisations will dynamize these policies. I sympathise, therefore, with the aposties and the hierarchy of our organisations in their zeal to programme orthodox economic and numismatic policies, although I have some logomachy with them.

I apologize for having tyrannized you with my hellenic phraseology.

In my epilogue, I emphasize my eulogy to the philoxenous autochthons of this cosmopolitan metropolis and my encomium to you, Kyrie, and the stenographers.
So, what do you guys think? Is this comprehensible? What do you think of Professor Zolotas' idea? I'm indescribably curious to know what you think of this :D

Miso

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Re: Speaking Greek... in English!

Well...it's a really great idea! I'm impressed that this worked with the pronounciation.

I must say that I don't get all parts of it but after all I'm no native English speaker so I can't judge this properly.

Hermie

vs. The World.
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Norway

Will you throw stuff at me if I make an "it's all Greek" joke now? :p

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
Reaction score
Country
Greece

It's all Greek, but these words are in an English dictionary!! Nearly 25% of the English language is pure Greek words, 60%+ of the medical terminology and I don't remember what percentage is Greek related words (for example anything with Greek roots, like bio- , tele-, syn- etc. )

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan

Anax said:
It's all Greek, but these words are in an English dictionary!! Nearly 25% of the English language is pure Greek words, 60%+ of the medical terminology and I don't remember what percentage is Greek related words (for example anything with Greek roots, like bio- , tele-, syn- etc. )
WoW! So, when you learn these words, do you also learn that "hey it's an English word too!!" or was writing out this speech something that the professor had to use a dictionary to do?

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

That speech totally went over my head XD

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
Reaction score
Country
Greece

I guess he had to do some research to verify that the words he intended to use existed in English. That or he was a mad, know-it-all professor :blink
Still, it's quite interesting don't you think? I just love it and it's also a nice chance to show English speakers what Greek words in English look like.

Galth

Puella Magi
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

Another interesting way to waste your time :)

EDIT: cool, only 25 days of registration and i'm considered a senior member allready...

wildG

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Greece
Re: Greek Thread

hehehe what a prefessor

Γειά σου μεγάλε anax^^ ΠΑΟΚ φαντάζομαι αφου είσαι απο Καβάλα!

Last edited: