Shounen - Happiness by Oshimi Shuzo | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Happiness by Oshimi Shuzo

AleTheSennin

Intl Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Plot:
Makoto Okazaki is your run of the mill high-schooler, a perfect bullying target and a closet pervert.

One night he decides to return a DVD to a friend of his and ventures out into the darkness. He notices a person on a nearby rooftop. The person lunges at him before he is able to make sense of this, and bites into his neck, drinking his blood.

The attacker stops. At this point Makoto notices that the attacker is a beautiful girl. She asks him: "Do you want to die or become like me?" He decides to live...

Publications: 2015, Ongoing, Bessatsu Shonen Magazine, Kodansha.

I've released translation of chapter 1. Really like it.

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria
It is a really well drawn manga with a good story. That though is to be expected by the author of Aku no Hana that ran an anime not too long ago. It is somewhat similar to previous works of Oshimi Shuzo in that it plays at a school and stars the outcast/victim character. Also it might not always seem logical, which is to be expected by a supernatural/horror work, but it does a good job of showing the psychology of the characters and how their relationships develop. With all the blood and panties so far, it's definitely on the mature side of Shounen.

There are 9 chapters so far and reading them in batch was great fun. I'm unsure as of yet how I'll proceed with reading it considering it's a monthly series.

Crescent Jinx

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
I just started this manga, and really like it. Sort of trail of blood-ish mixed with vampires. The MC reminds me of a bit of early Kaneki. But why is this thread so dead? The manga is still on-going?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Just caught up in the manga and have to saw whoa. Some parts are pretty dark. It’s quite a creepy little manga but also very interesting. The story also reminds me of a cross of A Trail of Blood (the art and the style) with Ghost Hunt (specifically the cursed house arc with the ghost of the man who killed the girls to bathe in their blood and become immortal) and Ajin (the main character’s plight). Definetly more horror than most mainstream would like. My favorite characters are Yuki and Gosho. So was a bit sad to see the story change over to others. Although it was interesting to see Nora, Okazaki, and Saku. Saku is becoming more interesting.

The end of chapter 41 was :biblethump with Okazaki wanting to protect Nora’s brain.

Thanks @Vandred I needed to be sad
:cop

Although I don’t really like Nora. She feels very plot device for a main character. Kind of like how I felt about early Rize :fan but worse since Nora is more present. Even now :errr:errr:errr

So the brain is the only part that is needed to regenerate? :hmm So Yuki dies if they ate the brain? Or did they get interrupted with Gosho trying to escape?

The scene where the cult members turned on him reminded me of the scene where the villagers went crazy and ate the tourists in Sahara. Definitely worse then a lynching....

And it’s weird because I see a parallel with Yuki and Okazaki?

Yuki killed his girlfriend and got captured by a psycho for 10 years. Gosho was hurt in front of him as well. He was sleeping and woke to get attacked.

Okazaki watched Nora “die” before he too died but really he was captured by the humans. Studied and asleep for 10 years. Gosho helped Yuki escape. Saku helped Okazaki escape.

Just not a big fan of Okazaki. He’s more passive that early Kaneki. Keep waiting for the moment he actually does something. Is that bad to say? Eventually I thought he would have a time where he would embrace his dark side but he still is the same person being pushed around by the events around him as he was when he first turned.

Overall being caught up and not knowing who survived and not makes me feel like :sexyarf :sexyarf:sexyarf

Last edited:

Vandred

Plan Deviser
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
I just started this manga, and really like it. Sort of trail of blood-ish mixed with vampires. The MC reminds me of a bit of early Kaneki. But why is this thread so dead? The manga is still on-going?
Kids these days are all discussing this kinda stuff among themselves on Discord and the like

Just caught up in the manga and have to saw whoa. Some parts are pretty dark. It’s quite a creepy little manga but also very interesting. The story also reminds me of a cross of A Trail of Blood (the art and the style) with Ghost Hunt (specifically the cursed house arc with the ghost of the man who killed the girls to bathe in their blood and become immortal) and Ajin (the main character’s plight). Definetly more horror than most mainstream would like. My favorite characters are Yuki and Gosho. So was a bit sad to see the story change over to others. Although it was interesting to see Nora, Okazaki, and Saku. Saku is becoming more interesting.

The end of chapter 41 was :biblethump with Okazaki wanting to protect Nora’s brain.

Thanks @Vandred I needed to be sad
:cop

Although I don’t really like Nora. She feels very plot device for a main character. Kind of like how I felt about early Rize :fan but worse since Nora is more present. Even now :errr:errr:errr

So the brain is the only part that is needed to regenerate? :hmm So Yuki dies if they ate the brain? Or did they get interrupted with Gosho trying to escape?

The scene where the cult members turned on him reminded me of the scene where the villagers went crazy and ate the tourists in Sahara. Definitely worse then a lynching....

And it’s weird because I see a parallel with Yuki and Okazaki?

Yuki killed his girlfriend and got captured by a psycho for 10 years. Gosho was hurt in front of him as well. He was sleeping and woke to get attacked.

Okazaki watched Nora “die” before he too died but really he was captured by the humans. Studied and asleep for 10 years. Gosho helped Yuki escape. Saku helped Okazaki escape.

Just not a big fan of Okazaki. He’s more passive that early Kaneki. Keep waiting for the moment he actually does something. Is that bad to say? Eventually I thought he would have a time where he would embrace his dark side but he still is the same person being pushed around by the events around him as he was when he first turned.

Overall being caught up and not knowing who survived and not makes me feel like :sexyarf :sexyarf:sexyarf
You're welcome :fan
But who are this Kaneki and this Rize you keep mentioning? :lambirb

Yeah, Nora is definitely still underdeveloped as a character, so I wonder if she'll end up as just a plot device (reminds me of a certain other character from a certain other manga I won't name :lambirb ) or be fleshed out more in the future. Everything before the time skip feels like it's been a prologue, so I'm curious to see what direction the manga will take from now on, and how long it's going to be. I believe the author's longest work has numbered 80 chapters, so we'd be about halfway through :nerd

Since Yuki was calling out to him, I'd assume Okazaki will at least reach Sakurane's church eventually - and it certainly would be funny to have Okazaki running out of there with Yuki's brain too :XD But yeah, I'd assume eating the brain would kill the vampire. I don't think eating the rest of Yuki's body and starting to kill each other has worked that fine for the cultists, though...

Crescent Jinx

Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
But who are this Kaneki and this Rize you keep mentioning? :lambirb
:XD Probably a ship from the EZ section!!

Yeah, Nora is definitely still underdeveloped as a character, so I wonder if she'll end up as just a plot device (reminds me of a certain other character
@Emperor Spriggan, seeeeeee

Everything before the time skip feels like it's been a prologue, so I'm curious to see what direction the manga will take from now on, and how long it's going to be. I believe the author's longest work has numbered 80 chapters, so we'd be about halfway through
Halfway? Yikes! It feels like it’s just starting.

Since Yuki was calling out to him, I'd assume Okazaki will at least reach Sakurane's church eventually - and it certainly would be funny to have Okazaki running out of there with Yuki's brain too :XD But yeah, I'd assume eating the brain would kill the vampire. I don't think eating the rest of Yuki's body and starting to kill each other has worked that fine for the cultists, though...
Collecting brains :arf

Are they Vampires or Zombies????? :babyrage

Would assume that as well tbh; although in another version of my idea of putting a brain into a new body - it would be interesting to see a brain get eaten and slowly start to take over a person from the inside.

Those cannablistic scrubs with their hive mentality. :fail