Discussion - Health or Taste? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Health or Taste?

What do you prefer in your food/beverage?

• Total voters

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
We all eat and drink, right? If you don't, and you're reading this now, then you'll probably die in a few hours/days/something if you don't have a way of getting nutrition in your body.

Anyway, whenever we eat or drink, we tend to go after either taste or health. What do you look for in a food or drink?

I go for taste, most of the time. I feel like life's not worth living if I don't enjoy the food, though I do try to go for health as well.

What's good to eat or drink that has both health and taste? Some of 'em are obvious, but yeah.

steelwingcrash1

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
My mind is getting fat from this thread. This is definitely a total debate.

I think I'd go with taste because...

dear God, I can't explain.

... because I will definitely buy for more if the taste is fine?

I'll just go with taste. Sorry, I can't explain well my point of view.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
It's all about finding the right compromise ultimately.
I'm holding back on sweets and softdrinks, there is enough tasty food without such.
Yet I don't really care about how "healthy" something is, after all it's all about the overall composition. Since I'm not doing bodybuilding or stuff, I don't count stuff like proteins (I'm certain that I got enough though), and since I don't have obvious deficits I don't care for vitamins, which are easily overrated. To my knowledge it's been proven that vitamins are worthless once a person has enough to avoid deficiency symptoms. Even the so famous vitamin C is not beneficial to the immune system as long as there is no deficiency. "Normal" food is sufficient to avoid such symptoms usually.

So, eventually I'm almost only caring for 1) taste 2) amount. When I have to choose what to eat for lunch, I just eat what I want, but possibly cut down for the rest of the day when I think it's been a lot of calories.

Truefan21

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Its all about balance. You can enhance healthy food like vegetable by adding a little sauce, or sugar :D

steelwingcrash1

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I'm doing diet now, that's for sure. xD The first week is tough, but I gotta enjoy this one.

Mama Satsuki

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Well, my diet goes along Roflkopt3r's line: 1) taste 2) amount. I have a well balanced diet, but if I need fibers I'd rather get it from Kellogs-derived product, preferably with lots of sugar and strawberry or banana, instead of some green salad. I actually avoid green salads (lettuce-ew), but I do eat my vegetables (tomatoe salad is my favourite, but cucumber is a close second). But see, I eat those healthy things because they are tasty, so, yay! No healthy-tasteless-food for me.

Hey, a healthier diet than I am having now will only add around 20 years in my life! 20 years after, say, the 80 I will be living. Don't know what I'd want to do after my eighties...

Jorge D. Dragon

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
It's rather easy question.:) I prefer taste to healthy food.:)
I normally don't mind about diets. If I feel that I need I can just eat a bit less ammounts of chips, pizza, burgers and sweets.:)

igotthegoods

The Giggs
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
When considering pure enjoyment, I prefer taste far and away over health. Eating healthy can make you feel good, but for me it doesn't compare at all to that feeling of indulging in something decadent and delicious. The feeling you have afterward may be a different story, of course, but in the moment it's awesome. <3

And as others have said, it's all about balance. Choosing healthy options most of the time is preferable, but you still need to allow yourself to enjoy the taste of your favorite, less-healthy foods as well -- just not all the time. Not only will your weight benefit from taking this approach, but eating 'bad' things less often will make them feel like a special treat. :amuse

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I don't think both things have to be separated though. There are plenty of foods which are delicious and healthy. The important thing is how exactly you cook stuff. I never eat fried stuff and for the most part avoid fast food as much as possible. Obviously if you think the only delicious stuff is either fast food or fried then you have trouble lol. I steam cook stuff a lot (I could not stand the cafeteria food). It takes a while but it takes virtually no effort on my part and it tastes good.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I don't think both things have to be separated though. There are plenty of foods which are delicious and healthy. The important thing is how exactly you cook stuff. I never eat fried stuff and for the most part avoid fast food as much as possible. Obviously if you think the only delicious stuff is either fast food or fried then you have trouble lol. I steam cook stuff a lot (I could not stand the cafeteria food). It takes a while but it takes virtually no effort on my part and it tastes good.

Ahhh... fried stuff... taaaaassssttyyy!
Sorry, couldn't read further. Started drooling when reading "fried".
So much for me and healthiness.

Well, I'm trying to avoid the most obvious kcal though, like in soft drinks.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I really don't find fried food all that fantastic lol. I guess I am simply not very use to eating it though, I always feel kinda sick afterwards.

The one thing that always made me laugh was the very invention of diet drinks. It's just so marginal it really hardly matters if you drink a diet or a regular drink. If you want to lose weight you ultimately should not drink either. I always want to laugh when I see the usual girl asking for a large drink but then makes it a diet. It's just sad lol.

Mama Satsuki

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I always want to laugh when I see the usual girl asking for a large drink but then makes it a diet. It's just sad lol.
or ask for a small cup, but compensate asking for two hamburgers.

I don't really try to avoid fast food. I just don't feel like spending so much money on them (McDonalds, Burger King and the likes here in Brazil are quite expensive for just one hamburger). I actually usually ask for no drink nor fries, just so I can ask for two hamburgers if I have enough.

Not having money is a good way to stay in a diet...

Aazholh

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think that healthy and tasty food that can be made at home. Fast food, even though it tastes great, is guaranteed to cause all sorts of health problems. I've noticed that sugar, salt, and fat all play a role in obesity in America. All of which can be limited when you make your own meal, but you can't do that at McDonald's.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
It's hard to find a balance. T_T but I've gone for weeks and months without horrible food like Taco Bell. I still prefer taste as I drink soda a lot if I can. Food, it is little bit more balanced.

Oh, and it's been said that diet drinks are worse for health than regular. Women, gtfo diet drinks. D:

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
That's why I only drink water, beer and wine :-)

Last edited:

blackjack612

Reviewer
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I try to eat healthy for health's sake, but when I indulge, it's all about taste. Beignets are one of my favorite foods but they're super super unhealthy and so I make them sparingly. But when I make 'em, I go all out: homemade fruit toppings and mounds of powdered sugar deliciousness.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I never got the whole thing with diet drinks.... Whats the point of it having less sugar if it has twice as much caffeine? Whats the point of ordering the diet drink if you are still ordering the largest possible size for it? Whats the point of the diet drink if everything else you are eating is about as unhealthy as radioactive waste? Someone who wants to lose weight should not have soda at all, it is that simple lol. As for me, soda overall does nothing for me. I'd rather have a beer which is actually healthier than soda and as long as I don't drink a six pack every day I won't really get weight (I also don't drunk light beer, that is just awful).

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Soda tastes good. ._. And it's addicting.

But I don't understand the whole diet fad either. It's been said that artificial sugar is worse for health than real sugar and that it is better at fattening you.

Honestly, some people! Misled by "diet" or "sugarfree" label. :\

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Personaly I'm not a big fan of soda. And I don't understand why cola is so much popular. All these chemical taste are just not my thing at all. Plus I like sugar less and less. The only soda I drink with pleasure is orangina
And I don't understand how you can drink some while eating a meal. It overtakes all the taste of the other food

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Well, I am not much of a soda drinker myself (I actually rarely drink it at all) but I have to admit there is just something awesome about drinking coca cola while eating pizza.