Discussion - Hiatus X Hiatus | Page 28 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Hiatus X Hiatus

dougbp

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Actually, Toriko doesn't have the necessary to be the "trio" of Jump.

HxH's sales are superior than Naruto's and Bleach's when Togashi gives progression.

Does Toriko have a chance? Yes. But, still yet... Jump needs to "force" Toriko and it doesn't work like this.

Now is REALLY the moment that Togashi and Jump could make an agreement. Because the silver era of Jump is ruining now... The only positive point is that One Piece still gets a long story... But the days of Bleach are finishing and after that? Nobody knows...

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Actually, Toriko doesn't have the necessary to be the "trio" of Jump.

HxH's sales are superior than Naruto's and Bleach's when Togashi gives progression.

Does Toriko have a chance? Yes. But, still yet... Jump needs to "force" Toriko and it doesn't work like this.

Now is REALLY the moment that Togashi and Jump could make an agreement. Because the silver era of Jump is ruining now... The only positive point is that One Piece still gets a long story... But the days of Bleach are finishing and after that? Nobody knows...
You know, Jump really isn't in a dire spot or anything. In Japan there isn't anything like the Big 3, that's a western concept because they're the most well-known manga in this part of the world. There is no doubt that Naruto was a massive franchise, and still will be for a few more years. Finding a new manga like that really is more like a thing of luck. There will be at one point, but who knows when. Until then it has a bunch of successful series, so there is no need for the staff to worry.

Assassination Classroom and Haikyuu sell as much as Bleach nowadays and Shokugeki no Souma might catch up to that once the anime starts (already sells around 200-300k). A new action adventure series called Boku no Hero Academia seems to be doing well, so that almost seems like another success. They have a strong RomCom which sells more than To Love Ru, they have to fairly popular gag manga (PSI and Isobe) and ofc Gintama. Bleach ending will hardly be a major thing considering all that, the series already lost a good part of it's fanbase in Japan. So yeah, even when Bleach ends the only thing they really need is a new extremely popular action/adventure manga.

The loss of Naruto will hurt to some extent but outside of that there is nothing to fear, really. I'm sure they would welcome Togashi with open arms no matter what time or which series are ending, but Togashi simply does what he wants to do. He's long past the point where the WSJ Department could put any pressure on him, and I doubt they even try. In that regard Naruto ending now won't influence the return of HxH in any way, nor is the magazine in a tight spot if it does not return anytime soon.

duerlin

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Unless this DC arc can be turned into a short story, I doubt HH will end in Togashi's economic life time.

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
togashi has that habit of hiatussing in the worst possible moment's.
At least the three hiatusses i experienced were at the pinaccle of the ant arc, then after introducing the dark continent and then the latest hiatuss right before boarding that damn ship.

Just hope whenever he returns will be for a reasonable period of time.

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
At least the three hiatusses i experienced were at the pinaccle of the ant arc, then after introducing the dark continent and then the latest hiatuss right before boarding that damn ship.
I'm experiencing Hiatus since 2007 <3
So I'm used to it, more when I'm fan of other mangas with awful releases dates.

I just fill that emptyness with MORE manga. (?)

xallisto

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just fill that emptyness with MORE manga. (?)
Ditto.

Theres almost endless amounts of manga out there. and theres almost always something that fits into the same categories of whatever is on hiatus.

im thankful for hiatus's because otherwise id never had read such gems as Nobelse, The Breaker, Girls of the Wilds, Magi or Yamada-Kun.

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Well, for some time, Tower of God really felt like HxH, but lately (even if i still like it) it just does not feel as exciting to read the new chapter anymore as it used to be.
Claymore ended.
Stopped reading one peace in the beginning of the dressrosa arc because the same fatique hit me even more with that one.
Stopped Magi after some time too, so there go the shonen i ever put interest in (at least i still enjoy tower of god, even if not as much as before).

But tbh, i do not put HxH into the shonen category anymore, so that is no problem.

Lately, i really enjoy western comics.
There is really nothing cept ToG that comes out weekly that could fix any holes for me tho :p

The remaining mangas i like a lot are vinland saga , berserk (it's not much better here, is it?^^) Inuyashiki (new manga of gantz guy, it's awesome really).

Thought about reading YYH, but i heard the endin is not that good, so i am not sure whether i should give it a try.
I am really sensible about endings.

Anyway, i still do have faith that Togashi will be back soon. it won't be two years again, it won't be one year, possibly it won't even be half a year.
Just hope it is really back pain what holds him back and not something worse than that.
Maybe it would be better suited for him to just Release Tankubons instead single chapters.
Then he could work whenever he felt like it without having the pressure to do something week for week.

Txapeldun

Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
YYH ending is not that bad. It was just fast and unexpected.

XXGenesis

Reaction score
Country
Turkmenistan
So True.

FFuuu

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Chile
For me so far the only ones who feel worth reading are Kubera, Tower of God, God of Bath, A Fairy Tale for the Demon Lord and Knight Run

Honestly I'd rather have hiatuses than see it turn to crap like Bleach or Naruto.

At least with Togashi we know that when a chapter is out, it's a damn good one.

Last edited:

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I started Boku No Hero Academia, I'm fan. I can see why everyone loves it, it's quite good. Reminds me a little to Shaman King and Fairy Tail.

And I thought the same about Tower of God, at first it was a little-HxH...then I realized that it will be a different direction since the system of power is way more chaotic and random. In the end, I just stopped to "search" for HxH in other mangas and just enjoy them for who they are. (?) *Christina Aguilera song in the back*

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Ye, that is probably for the best.HxH is not the samemanga in every arc, anyway.
at least it seems like that to me.
The arcs are vastly different in tone and plot, and every arc in itself could be the setting of a different manga.

I think this could be caused due to the hiatus habit. When togashi decides he wants to do s th else, then he can do that with HxH without much problems.

He can put Gon and Killuah on a bus, he can change the setting from a film noir like yorknew to a cheery adventure like greed island, and he has more than enough room to kill off any character he likes or explore side characters.

You rarely see that in other manga. Most of the time, there might be passages in which the main character is not arround, but he is still a central part of the plot (like gon in the election arc, but unlike 8probably) gon in the DC arc).

joshua019

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can't he just write the story and have someone draw it, bakuman style? Kubo is a great artist, but horrible story teller, end bleach pair them up. kubo won't mind since togashi wrote bleach in the 1st place.

just kidding on kubo, but I think he should get an illustrator. he is like GRRM of manga.

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
This made me laugh.

I wonder when will it resume... it's been so long already.
I don't get it, is it related to HxH by any means?

I don't think he takes hiatuses planned.... at this point, when he resumes writing is unplanned too, by the looks of it.... that's the part I hate the most... he comes and goes anytime he wants... I abuse him when the manga's stopped but totally love it when its back.. I guess back I can wait ....

This discussion suggested a few names to keep an eye on.. tower of god and Magi I will try.... can someone suggest something similar to HxH or One Piece?

shionoro

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I think he sort of plans his hiatusses, at least he had a habit of bringing exactly 10,20 or 30 chapters.

The hiatus he took this time was not planned tho.

well, HxH shares some similarities with Tower of God in the beginning.
It goes into another direction later on, tho.

It is a good read, even if i am not satisfied by it lately. Giving it a try is not wrong tho.

Aside from that, the only thing keeping me as captivated as HxH is Berserk, if you haven't read it.

OP might be too 'shonen' for you if you search for s th similar to HxH.
I think you would be more happy with the Seine department.

Machi-tan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just want him to come back, and continue the beauty of HxH. So many unanswered questions and fights and things that need to happen.

Time skip(?)
Gon (or Young adult Gon) vs Hisoka for reals
The True strength of Beyond Netero must be revealed.
Kurapika's quest for revenge must reach it's conclusion (Personally I call Kurapika becoming an Antihero, maybe even Gon's enemy for a bit)
The existences that are on the Dark Continent

The thing about HxH is the amount of Lore and content that can be worked on is beefy. He could come back and attack the plot from almost any unfinished conflict and we'd be captivated in some way shape or form. However the bad side of that is what people are feeling... Entrapment! We want to know about the story. And he's created such a large lore/character web that finishing up everyone's story is going to take him .... a while. HxH is one of those manga's that I've personally looked at as never going to finish. Unless we get some type of a super fast wrap up after the Dark Continent arc. He'd need at least 300+ chapter's more to appease alot of the story points he's created in the process of making this fine work of manga. And even then, there's always going to be something that he can't completely wrap up. And as laid back as he is about working on it (even though apparently this time it's medical leave so not like i can say anything about that) it's a manga that might fall victim to being incompletel.

Only other alternative is if he sold the story line to someone he trusts as a fellow author to finish it when he's done with it. Or maybe just hand over the art production to someone and focus on just verbally drawing out the plot. But Togashi does what Togashi does. He is the Ging to our emotion Gons.

Kanmuru

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
At this point I don't mind the sketchy art again.. The story and character develpment is just levels ahead of every shonen out there.
Togashi come back!!!!! :(

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Time skip(?)
Gon (or Young adult Gon) vs Hisoka for reals
The True strength of Beyond Netero must be revealed.
Kurapika's quest for revenge must reach it's conclusion (Personally I call Kurapika becoming an Antihero, maybe even Gon's enemy for a bit)
The existences that are on the Dark Continent
Hasn't Kurapika always been an antihero though? In the main 4 the only one without antiheroic traits is Leorio and I think it's because he was not here during the arcs with lot of actions, in YYH all the MCs were antiheroes. We should see Beyond's strength when eh will come back since he'll be obliged to escape by himself, I can see him fighting Botobai or Kanzai. If there is a timeskip, it will be after the current arc.
At this pace I wonder when Gon VS Hisoka will happen...